lamplighting 09

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

lamplighting 09

Postby solipsistnation » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:59 am

Okay, lamplighting during the windstorm was basically the most incredible experience I had all week.

How do I volunteer for lamplighting next year? I'm ready to do that every day, windstorm or no. Sign me up! Yeah!
solipsistnation

Postby KitsuneCaligari » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:33 pm

I for one thank you and commend your efforts - lamplighting in the wind must have been a 24-carat pain in the arse....
KitsuneCaligari

Postby Arantele » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:29 pm

This year was my first year, and everyone said I should volunteer but I never got the chance... Lamplighting sounds like fun, but a lot of work at the same time.
Arantele

Postby doppelGanger » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:05 pm

"Solipsist Nation": That's cute :)
See ya on the playa
doppelGanger

Postby couglite » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:03 pm

I was hoping to volunteer for lamplighter too! I think we do it at the info centre...
couglite

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:22 pm

You just go to the Lamplighters and sign up on the white board at about five in the afternoon. This was my third year volunteering with them and it's always a pleasure. Yeah, it can be hard work, too ...but it's work that most everybody is capable of and you meet some cool folks.
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby brcprincess » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:18 pm

I always wanted to do it, but never knew how! Definitely next year.
brcprincess

Postby jkisha » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:38 am

I did lamplighters this year and loved it. It was the second year for my partner and we will both be doing it again next year.

We actually did a lot of volunteering this year and it really added to the BM experience for us. We'll be doing even more next year.

JK
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Teo del Fuego » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:49 pm

I was a Lamp Lighter this year during the Monday dust storm. It was very surreal and a memorable experience. Plan on spending about 3.5 to 4 hours.

With the wind, I wondered if solar-powered LEDs might be a good substitute for the kerosene lamps. I'm a romantic and the thought of losing the flickering flames doesnt sound too good, but most of our lamps we hung had been blown out by the wind before we could get them on the lamp posts
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Gietzen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:44 pm

So Lamplighters huh? What flavor is the Kool-Aid?
Gietzen

Postby Gideon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Kerosene. Kerosene flavoured Kool-Aid. YUM.

I don't speak officially for Lamplighters, but I camped there last year, and had an absolute blast.

To volunteer, just come by around when the sun is getting close to the western mountain ridge - I think about 4:30. We're located somewhere in Center Camp, usually behind the Cafe'. Look for Lamplighter Temple.

The first task each night is cleaning and prepping lamps. To do this, you don't need to sign up anywhere, just ask someone and join in at the prep tables. Lamps are washed, filled with Kerosene, lit and staged every night prior to the procession.

If you want to be in the actual procession, you'll need to sign up. Somewhere, on a wall, you'll find a white board with a list of jobs and routes. Talk to the person manning the board, pick a route and a job.

Jobs in the actual procession are as follows:

Carrier: You get to carry 12 lit lanterns from a pole across your shoulders. I like to call this one "moving meditation" Very calming, but a little draining, physically. It's my favorite. Good upper body strength helps.

Hanger: You get to hang the lanterns on the spires. This is more activity - You're taking lanterns off the carry poles with a special hook, and then placing them up on the spires. hand-eye coordination is a plus.

Support: Assist the other two roles, keep lamps lit, be prepared to jump into the role of a hanger or carrier if someone gets tired. Requires a good working lighter. :)

Luminary: Reserved for experienced Lamplighters. Luminaries are the leaders of the different routes. The rest of the procession takes orders from the route luminary.

The routes are subject to change every year, but this is what happened in 2008:

Center Camp: Light the lamps in the Center Camp circle, and the Spires at 3, 6, and 9 around Center Camp. Good run for newbies - it's the shortest, and you don't have far to walk at the end.

Main: Light from Center Camp to the Man. My favorite.

2 O'Clock Promenade - Light along the Promenade from Center Camp to 2 O'clock.

10 O'Clock Promenade - Center Camp to 10 o'clock. The Promenade runs usually have the most visibility, the most positive energy, but are also the longest runs to make.

Temple - Light from the Man to the Temple. Probably the least amount of spectators, but very spiritual.

3 O'Clock - Light from the Man to 3 O'Clock, plus the 3 keyhole.

9 O'Clock - Light from the Man to 9 O'Clock, plus the 9 Keyhole.

The Temple, 3 O'Clock and 9 O'Clock processions got a ride out to the Man last year on a big flatbed truck.

There are also people helping with robes - the robes are all provided by Lamplighters, and they even help you take them off at the end of the night. I think the robing volunteers come from the camp itself, but I was never too clear on that.

Yeah, I drank the kerosene last year. I think I'm in for life now. :) It's FUN!
Gideon
Burner: 2007
Lamplighter: 2008, 2009
Namaste.
Gideon

Postby klondike_bar » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:13 pm

so the robes are provided/loaned for the night?

Im thinking of being a lamplighter for my virgin year.
klondike_bar

Postby Sham » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:40 am

I think this year we should evolve and get solar powered, LED lanterns to hang all around the city. Karosene is so 2008! :roll:
Sham

Postby klondike_bar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 am

Shambala wrote:I think this year we should evolve and get solar powered, LED lanterns to hang all around the city. Karosene is so 2008! :roll:

pfft, as if.

this year, fuel costs half as much. all the more reason to play with (cheap) fire!
klondike_bar

Postby jkisha » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:09 am

klondike_bar wrote:so the robes are provided/loaned for the night?

Im thinking of being a lamplighter for my virgin year.

DO IT! You'll be glad you did.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Igneouss » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:06 pm

This one is still very high on my list of volunteer activities. Sharing top choice with Greeter. Damn I am gonna need to weeks of BM to work it all in :wink:
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby capjbadger » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:11 pm

I DO speak for the lamplighters officially and you pretty much hit the nail of the head Gideon. :)

Yes Robes are provided/loaned for the route.
You can do prep and/or a route.
People that go out with us on a route get a charm.
On the longer routes now that the city is bigger, you either get a ride out, or a ride back.

Volunteers are always welcome every night. We couldn't do it without your help. :) Meet up at the "Lamplighter Chapel" at 5pm. You can't miss it. ;)

If you wish to join the camp, please email Snotto: snotto@burningman.com
Feb 15th is the cutoff...

Be aware the we are a "working" camp, so we go out just about every evening. We had a bit of a problem with slackers last year, so we're capping the camp this year at 180 people. Everyone brings food donations for the kitchen. Nothing beats coming back to camp after lighting a route to find an awesome meal waiting for you. :D

Badger
Luminary

Gideon wrote:Kerosene. Kerosene flavoured Kool-Aid. YUM.

I don't speak officially for Lamplighters, but I camped there last year, and had an absolute blast.

To volunteer, just come by around when the sun is getting close to the western mountain ridge - I think about 4:30. We're located somewhere in Center Camp, usually behind the Cafe'. Look for Lamplighter Temple.

The first task each night is cleaning and prepping lamps. To do this, you don't need to sign up anywhere, just ask someone and join in at the prep tables. Lamps are washed, filled with Kerosene, lit and staged every night prior to the procession.

If you want to be in the actual procession, you'll need to sign up. Somewhere, on a wall, you'll find a white board with a list of jobs and routes. Talk to the person manning the board, pick a route and a job.

Jobs in the actual procession are as follows:

Carrier: You get to carry 12 lit lanterns from a pole across your shoulders. I like to call this one "moving meditation" Very calming, but a little draining, physically. It's my favorite. Good upper body strength helps.

Lifter: You get to hang the lanterns on the spires. This is more activity - You're taking lanterns off the carry poles with a special hook, and then placing them up on the spires. hand-eye coordination is a plus.

Support: Assist the other two roles, keep lamps lit, be prepared to jump into the role of a hanger or carrier if someone gets tired. Requires a good working lighter. :)

Luminary: Reserved for experienced Lamplighters. Luminaries are the leaders of the different routes. The rest of the procession takes orders from the route luminary.

The routes are subject to change every year, but this is what happened in 2008:

Center Camp: Light the lamps in the Center Camp circle, and the Spires at 3, 6, and 9 around Center Camp. Good run for newbies - it's the shortest, and you don't have far to walk at the end.

Main: Light from Center Camp to the Man. My favorite.

2 O'Clock Promenade - Light along the Promenade from Center Camp to 2 O'clock.

10 O'Clock Promenade - Center Camp to 10 o'clock. The Promenade runs usually have the most visibility, the most positive energy, but are also the longest runs to make.

Temple - Light from the Man to the Temple. Probably the least amount of spectators, but very spiritual.

3 O'Clock - Light from the Man to 3 O'Clock, plus the 3 keyhole.

9 O'Clock - Light from the Man to 9 O'Clock, plus the 9 Keyhole.

The Temple, 3 O'Clock and 9 O'Clock processions got a ride out to the Man last year on a big flatbed truck.

There are also people helping with robes (Robe Tenders) - the robes are all provided by Lamplighters, and they even help you take them off at the end of the night. I think the robing volunteers come from the camp itself, but I was never too clear on that.

Yeah, I drank the kerosene last year. I think I'm in for life now. :) It's FUN!
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby snotto » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:37 am

Feb 15th is the deadline for returning lamplighters to mark their spot in camp before we open the camp up to newbies. We're cutting off the camp at 180 people this year.
always move forward, going straight will get you nowhere.
snotto

Postby capjbadger » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:56 am

Whoops. Got little mixed on the dates there. Sorry 'bout that. :)

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Chiwa » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 pm

I loved being a Lamplighter. I will definitely do it again this year.
Chiwa

Postby klondike_bar » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:49 pm

well, unless some miraculously awesome(r) opportunity comes up, looks like im gonna join the lamplighters in '09!

also, will contribute FIREBALL whiskey to the bar. :lol:
klondike_bar

Postby Igneouss » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:58 pm

I'm planning on doing a stint.
Might have to bring a bottle of REAL absinthe for the group.

Cheers
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby jkisha » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:04 pm

Igneouss wrote:I'm planning on doing a stint.
Might have to bring a bottle of REAL absinthe for the group.

Cheers

Yummy! (but it's a real big group!)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Igneouss » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:28 pm

You'll just have to plan on being around when I am there :)

I have the stuff couriered in from France which makes big groups kinda out of the question financially :)

Cheers!

Igneouss
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
Igneouss

Postby Homiesinheaven » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:09 pm

i'll be there this year guys. cant wait to help out! :)
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby sattelite5812 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Man, I was all psyched up to do Lamplighting this year, and then earlier this week I went and fractured my toe and a vertebrae in my back :( After reading this thread though, it sounds like I could still help out with prepping the lamps at least. Thanks for the info, Gideon! :wink:

As far as being in the procession, I guess there's always next year :)

*edited for spelling
----------------------------------------------------------
It's the ones who've cracked that the light shines through
sattelite5812

Postby Igneouss » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:27 pm

sattelite5812 wrote:Man, I was all psyched up to do Lamplighting this year, and then earlier this week I went and fractured my toe and a vertebrae in my back :( After reading this thread though, it sounds like I could still help out with prepping the lamps at least. Thanks for the info, Gideon! :wink:

As far as being in the procession, I guess there's always next year :)

*edited for spelling

That'll teach you to kick yourself in the butt.

:)
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
Igneouss

Postby lemur » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:09 pm

lamplighters kick ass!!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Return to Get Involved!