Official Bay Area Musician Burner Thread

Official Bay Area Musician Burner Thread

Postby MerkinMan » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:39 am

Here it is folks. The title says it all.

OK, so maybe the title doesn't say it all. So I'll type some more.

Please post here if you play, and go to Burning Man. I'm hoping to put together a really special musical project to take to the playa, plus it's always good to meet other musicians in the area!

So who am I? I'm Dave! I play bass, and also guitar, and some drums. I dabble at keys but they are definitely not my strong suit. I'm 40. I started playing at about 15. I'm into a LOT of music. Rock, Funk, Jam music, Blues, Classic, Modern...the list goes on! Basically, fun music that makes you want to move your feet, and has some soul.

Sooo...who are you? Introduce yourselves! Let's see if we can make something happen.
MERKIN MAN: Protector of your sexy bits. Keepin' nether regions safe since last Tuesday.
MerkinMan

Postby vargaso » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Hey, I'm JD. I'm a drummer and have brought (brung?) my set to the playa the past few years. One of the best moments I had this year was during the dust storm on Saturday. Had my set up right in front of camp and some dude rode by and asked if he could play it. I said sure, he played for a bit, then we hung out for a few hours riding out the storm and drinking beers and talking. The epitome of a Burning Man experience and the reason I keep coming back.

Anyway, would love to hook up and jam. I can play anything but jazz (love it, but can't play it). I'm particularly down with the funk. And hey, I'm also 40. I'm in the Bay Area two days a week for work, but live up near Sacramento. I'm up for anything!
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby MerkinMan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:21 am

Hey JD! Nice to meet you. What days are you in the bay area?
MERKIN MAN: Protector of your sexy bits. Keepin' nether regions safe since last Tuesday.
MerkinMan

Postby vargaso » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:08 pm

I'm down there Tuesdays and Wednesdays, staying over on Tuesday night. I know, not exactly prime time rehearsal hours, but if we got something going, I'd be open for weekends too. I'm from the Bay Area, so I have many places to crash down there.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby MerkinMan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:31 pm

Tuesday nights could work, actually. I have a very spacious and comfortable practice studio in the East Bay.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll be burning in '09. I am DEFINITELY going in '10, though, and whether I go next year or not, I'd love to meet and start working with some local players...even if it's only now and then we can get together. I've been playing in the bay area for a while and after describing my BM experience to various musicians I work with, a few of them have the bug to check out BRC, and put a magical act together so we can really jam the playa right. If you play horn, keys, guitar, triangle, whatever...I'd like to meet ya.
MerkinMan

Postby Gravybrain » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:47 am

AcidFunkFusionJazzRock Band Gravybrain just completed our first burn / performance on the playa and can't wait for 09! We have already begun work on our own art car for next year and many thanks to all the great musicians who joined us in rocking out, with an extended thanks to the Moonshine Tavern in the 9:00 plaza where we had a rockin' show on Thu

Add us as a Myspace friend! www.myspace.com/gravybrainband

See you on the playa in 341 days!
Gravybrain

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:44 pm

My group of miscreants, Drinking with Bukowski, will be performing at the SF decom at 2:15 at the 19th Street Stage (Near main entrance). Woo hoo.
chiefdanfox

Postby Gravybrain » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:45 pm

Gravybrain will be at playing at SF Decomp also - 22nd st stage, 3:30 - 4:30p

Hope to see you there!
Gravybrain

Return to 2009 Art & Performance