Billionaire Camps

Re: Just like anything in life..

Postby LeChatNoir » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Steel Kitty wrote:...What did upset me about the MASSIVE RV camps was the copious dumping of black water on the playa just before driving off. It might have been a full tank of grey, but there was more than a little brown matter floating in all that gunk as the two big dually wheels churned it up a bit.

And, just like life.... I couldn't do a damn thing about it.


Ugh...

The BLM can issue citations for things like that if you can get a LEO to the scene quickly. Hopefully the RV will get stuck in its own muck.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
User avatar
LeChatNoir
 
Posts: 5827
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:52 am
Location: Louisville, Ky

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:25 pm

I actually thing it's kinda of pathetic and funny that these people spent so much money to purchase a burningman experience that you can't actually buy. Sounds so fucking clueless. Buying some sort of outer shell that's totally empty. Weren't there folk tails about that sort of hting?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37421
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby MrMullen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:09 pm

alt12 wrote:hate to tell you buddy, but burning man is a san francisco event founded by san franciscans with san francisco left values....its just a fact....some of those values are left/commie/whateverthefuckyou want to call it....if you don't like it maybe you shouldn't come back next year....personally I like having more republicanesque folks at BM because I hope that some of our SF values will rub-off on them....but I guess not always....


Typical San Francisco liberal, "I am tolerant and accepting of you as long as you are like me or something I am willing to tolerate because in some way I am superior, but in reality I am just a close minded egotistical schmuck like any of those guys, who I think I am superior to, who drive pickup trucks with Confederate Flags on them, in the South and voted for George Bush."



Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.


That means ANYONE. I don't see rules that say guys with RV's, jet planes, hookers and personal chiefs are excluded.

Also, let me give you a geographical lesson, Burningman is held in Washoe County, Nevada, not San Fransisco, Ca.
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: San Diego

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:29 pm

MrMullen wrote:
alt12 wrote:hate to tell you buddy, but burning man is a san francisco event founded by san franciscans with san francisco left values....its just a fact....some of those values are left/commie/whateverthefuckyou want to call it....if you don't like it maybe you shouldn't come back next year....personally I like having more republicanesque folks at BM because I hope that some of our SF values will rub-off on them....but I guess not always....


Typical San Francisco liberal, "I am tolerant and accepting of you as long as you are like me or something I am willing to tolerate because in some way I am superior, but in reality I am just a close minded egotistical schmuck like any of those guys, who I think I am superior to, who drive pickup trucks with Confederate Flags on them, in the South and voted for George Bush.

You look down on people in the south?
And yet you live in cailfornia and don't know what liberal means.

My carry weapon is illegal in california, as is every weapon I own or would like to own.
Must be lots of smart people there.


Making fun of the south- the last acceptable racism.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:57 am

As a Southerner, (i was born in Miami, and get to proudly display my NATIVE bumper sticker whenever i'm in the F to the L to the A) i resent the fact that it is so easy to make fun of us.



um.....yeah........i think.


back to the thread.......


Let them Do and Buy whomever they want, But, while at BurningMan adhere the general principals or suffer the wrath of a thousand hippies.

(concentrated patchouli oil on everything they own.....that'll learn em')



THEN maybe they'll share the hookers, greedy bastards that they are.




it's all about the hookers, that's what IM pissed about.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

The Billionare and the Prostitute

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:40 am

Billionare: "Wow. You're really good."

Prostitute: "I'm glad you see value in my work"

Billionare: "Are you hungry, do you want me to ring for something?"

Prostitute: "No thanks. I would like to go explore the city. Wanna?"

Billionare: "Wish I could-- tons of work to do. Gotta reprimand the HVAC guy and teach him that 68 degrees means 68 degrees. Then there's that damned duck. Sometimes I wonder why I even try at all."

Prostitute: "Don't worry sweetie, people love your duck. I heard somebody say it was their favorite."

Billionare: "Really? Wow. I guess that makes it all worthwhile. Hey, I wrote you a poem. Here it is..."

Prostitute: "Hmmm."

Billionare: "Well, what do you think of my poem?"

Prostitute: "Er-- that depends. Am I still on the clock?".
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
User avatar
Mister Jellyfish Mister
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: Sparks, Nevada

Postby alt12 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:48 am

MrMullen wrote:
alt12 wrote:hate to tell you buddy, but burning man is a san francisco event founded by san franciscans with san francisco left values....its just a fact....some of those values are left/commie/whateverthefuckyou want to call it....if you don't like it maybe you shouldn't come back next year....personally I like having more republicanesque folks at BM because I hope that some of our SF values will rub-off on them....but I guess not always....


Typical San Francisco liberal, "I am tolerant and accepting of you as long as you are like me or something I am willing to tolerate because in some way I am superior, but in reality I am just a close minded egotistical schmuck like any of those guys, who I think I am superior to, who drive pickup trucks with Confederate Flags on them, in the South and voted for George Bush."



Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.


That means ANYONE. I don't see rules that say guys with RV's, jet planes, hookers and personal chiefs are excluded.

Also, let me give you a geographical lesson, Burningman is held in Washoe County, Nevada, not San Fransisco, Ca.


well you seem to love the event so you must love the san francisco liberal hippies that run it and the liberaly values that created and perpetuate it..... whether you like it or not, you are dripping with san francisco liberal values..... Like I said in my post, do whatever you want at home but while at burningman there are some principles that the "community" is based-upon....why not start selling Starbucks while we are there? I mean lets be tolerant....really lets allow buying/selling of everything? Right I mean that would be inclusive......You are clearly and purposefully missing the point for one main reason: you are the close minded schmuck.....Like I said, I'm not talking about what people do at home (do you know how many billionaires live in San Francisco??? Plenty....I couldn't care less....have a prostitute orgy on a megayacht in San Francisco Bay...great!)....Its about the concept of an intentional community..... Now either a) you really don't get that and its going totally over your head or b) you just absolutely blindly refuse to acknowledge it..... My guess is the latter.....It sounds like you're just an angry guy that can't stand the "liberal commie" values of San Francisco and the only reason you jumped on this thread was that you caught a wiff of that and its like red meat to a dog...... I'm not here for a culture war, but I'm not going to let some close-minded ideologue asshole tell me what I said and why I said it....

I will point you to this part of the core values of the event under non-commodification: "We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience."

The only thing I've done here is to highlight that the camps are the epitome of "substitution of consumption for participatory experience" and whether something should be done about it.....
User avatar
alt12
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:58 pm
Location: Thailand
Burning Since: 2003

Postby unjonharley » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:54 am

Hay, Before we tar and feather these fat rat bastards.. Did they give anything to the Burning Man..

Maybe some art or a MV.. Party barge maybe huh? huh?
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8791
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Radical Exclusion

Postby marck » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:40 am

hate to tell you buddy, but burning man is a san francisco event founded by san franciscans with san francisco left values....its just a fact

I believe you should have said WAS founded. No longer is this event based or composed primarily of San Franciscans. That stopped when the San Franciscans were outnumbered by everyone else. The whole event has evolved and will continue to. To hang onto a "golden" past is unrealistic, BurningMan sucked when it was in San Fransisco, it needed the open Playa to become a great event. And that couldn't have happened without people from outside the Bay Area who found what they needed at BurningMan. Accept everyone or fund your own event.

do whatever you want at home but while at burningman there are some principles that the "community" is based-upon

And one of those is acceptance, really how are they harming the event if they keep to themselves and don't participate.

I hate "hippies" who feel that their burn should be subsidized by the rest of the campmates, and feel that being part of your camp is the only contribution they are obligated to. However if I could care less if those "hippies" chose to camp elsewhere and enjoy the burn in their own way, so long as I don't have to pull their slack.

This is not off-topic: the point is, if they choose to experience the burn on their own, then they are better than the thousands of tourists who flood in on Friday/Saturday and demand rides to centercamp and bloodymarys. And since nothing has been done to the more offensive tourists why do we need to be concerned over supposed "billionaires".

I'm not here for a culture war

No matter how much you say it, it really sounds like you are.
If you want my, or others, support on this you will need to lay aside commentary which sounds as self-righteous as many right-wingers.

I don't want to be accused of putting words or ideas in your mouth so before I comment further, what solution would you like to suggest to fix this "problem" you are concerned with.
User avatar
marck
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:42 am
Location: The Black Rock Army
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Playawaste Raiders

Re: Billionaire Camps

Postby duffdog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:33 pm

[quote="HughMungus"]Did you meet them?[/quote]

Interestingly enough, yes, I did meet them. "They" were our neighbors-- I even had the pleasure of meeting their producer Alan as he ran around trying to assemble the camp so that everyone there could have fun. It was quite obvious that our nieghbors had very high expectations of what took place in their camp-- if you have to pay a ton of money for someone to "produce" a burning man experience for you, then I would expect a lot too. Overall, the people at the camp were not bad or mean or anything like that-- several came over to hang out with us because they were tired of the (and I quote) "Rich english fucks" they were camped with. One of the organizers came over and wanted us to meet with our art cars in the desert and have a party (Im sure that the fact that our camp had many topless young hot women had nothing to do with that request). But due to my inexperience, I wasn't exactly sure how to go about doing that, although it sounded fun.

What did bug me a bit was the response of the bouncer on the rubber ducky when I wanted to just take a look at their art car and see how it was made: "Sorry bud, its VIP only" :evil: I was a hairs breadth from becoming very unburny. Although I did get my revenge during the burn with our 40,000 watt art car sound system. Theres no greater sense of pride to be had than when a ranger says "you guys are killing the next 3 art cars on each side with your sound system, which I think is awesome"

T
Purveyor of Fine 'Soul Crushing Bass'
duffdog
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:24 pm

Postby gyre » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:51 pm

That sounds like what we called Valet Camp.
Fake Theme Camp and all.

Ultimately anyone has to do things on their own out there to have fun.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: Radical Exclusion

Postby alt12 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:43 pm

marck wrote:
hate to tell you buddy, but burning man is a san francisco event founded by san franciscans with san francisco left values....its just a fact

I believe you should have said WAS founded. No longer is this event based or composed primarily of San Franciscans. That stopped when the San Franciscans were outnumbered by everyone else. The whole event has evolved and will continue to. To hang onto a "golden" past is unrealistic, BurningMan sucked when it was in San Fransisco, it needed the open Playa to become a great event. And that couldn't have happened without people from outside the Bay Area who found what they needed at BurningMan. Accept everyone or fund your own event.

do whatever you want at home but while at burningman there are some principles that the "community" is based-upon

And one of those is acceptance, really how are they harming the event if they keep to themselves and don't participate.

I hate "hippies" who feel that their burn should be subsidized by the rest of the campmates, and feel that being part of your camp is the only contribution they are obligated to. However if I could care less if those "hippies" chose to camp elsewhere and enjoy the burn in their own way, so long as I don't have to pull their slack.

This is not off-topic: the point is, if they choose to experience the burn on their own, then they are better than the thousands of tourists who flood in on Friday/Saturday and demand rides to centercamp and bloodymarys. And since nothing has been done to the more offensive tourists why do we need to be concerned over supposed "billionaires".

I'm not here for a culture war

No matter how much you say it, it really sounds like you are.
If you want my, or others, support on this you will need to lay aside commentary which sounds as self-righteous as many right-wingers.

I don't want to be accused of putting words or ideas in your mouth so before I comment further, what solution would you like to suggest to fix this "problem" you are concerned with.



This is my favorite response so far....you make good points on all fronts....I wasn't proposing we do anything, only asking whether something should be done.....

any self-righteous commentary was a response to the "im sick of the commies in S.F. ya da da da" attack commentary from some people who wandered into the thread......i'm just not going to have someone speak for me or tell me why something bothers me....especially if they are dead wrong and seemingly unable to read what is clearly written here....

if you go back to the original thread, it was posed as a question.....do we do anything about it or not.....you make some good points as to why one shouldn't give a shit....
User avatar
alt12
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:58 pm
Location: Thailand
Burning Since: 2003

Postby gyre » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:02 pm

It's what someone does when they get there that counts.

At least the google guys never sit around in camp.
They are always out looking for something.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:45 am

At least the google guys never sit around in camp.




you are right gyre, he did have a drinky drinky with us though....

nice guy.


no hookers.....alas.


ahhhhhh....the Digirati....makin' the playa their second home....

actually, from a marketing standpoint, and based on demographics, it makes PERFECT sense to have a "presence" on the playa.



Insert Evil Laugh Here.....
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby lurker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:59 am

Y'know, it's as if someone read what I wrote and said 'hey, how can I prove lurker right--wait, I know---' and them vomited out this dreck--

sorry lurker but you're an idiot....did you not read the original post? these aren't old burners with money camping in RVs....these are first time folks with with their own private no-entrance allowed camp with people working for them...employees....at burning man...quite a few employees in fact....and everything set-up for them so they don't lift a finger...does that not rub you the wrong way? Is that not the total fucking opposite of burning man? i didn't bring-up any class-warfare bullshit....and sorry but if you're at burning man and you're not wiping your own ass you don't fucking get it....its the fucking antithesis of self-reliance.....its also the antithesis of community and non-commodification (unless you count your maids and servants as part of your community)....


It's exactly my point--you think Burning Man should reflect your point of view alone--anything else just doesn't 'get it'.

Let's see how it this attitude stacks up against the principles of BM, thoughtfully provided by the same poster--

Ten Principles of Burning Man

Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community
.

Let's see....is there some limitation stated on 'anyone'? I can't find it. But alt12 seems to have found something that states that people alt12 finds objectionable are okay to leave out of 'anyone'.

Doesn't look like alt 12 gets this one.

Gifting
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.


Now this one extols gifting, and points out that the value of a gift is whatever the recipient thinks it is--and that it is not supposed to be a 'barter' type function.

Sadly, a LOT of people don't get that one. Way too much barter on the playa--but there's not real whining about that(except by those who engage in it and feel that it hasn't worked for them)

Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience
.

The fact that barter exists on the playa kinda short-circuits this one--but keeping out (most) corporate sponsorship helps us to see that it's at least possible.

Radical Self-reliance
Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.

Radical Self-expression
Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.


These two rely on the word 'self'(hey, that's a pun!), and that's the important part. Why? Because 'self' reliance doesn't include your opinion, alt12. It's not about how YOU think people should be self reliant--it's how the people themselves think they should be self reliant. And if they have the resources to have RVs, servants, and ass-wipers on the playa then that's up to them--not you.

We all spend money in the default world to make our experience better--you included, alt12, since when has anything in BRC history suggested there be an upper limit?

I think we can clearly see that there's a 'don't get it' here for you, alt12

Communal Effort
Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.

Civic Responsibility
We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.


Now these sorta contradict the previous two. Rather than self, they extol community. Coming after the initial radical inclusion and the self statements though they make a point--that the community generated is not one of need, but rather of desire. You don't need your neighbors for basic necessities, you associate with them because you want to, because they interest you. You give to them not because you need something in return, but rather because you think they'd like the thing you're giving.

This type of community is the exact antithesis of communistic thought. It springs from the idea that YOU provide for your OWN 'needs' and the community exists solely as an expression of celebrating mutual desire to associate.

It's precisely this that I think is the example that BRC needs to highlight to the world--a post economy based society. And it's coming

While I'd love to say that this is another case where you don't 'get it', the truth is that no one really does yet--all of this is experimental. But I am glad to live in a society wealthy enough to experiment with the concept. It cannot be done in a society where basic survival is something that requires communal effort

Leaving No Trace
Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them
.

I think most everyone 'gets this' though we all live up to it with varying degrees of success. And thankfully, the few who simply don't care are outweighed by the legions who do.

Participation
Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.

Immediacy
Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.


And the final two. I think you 'get it', alt12, even though you feel you get to decide who doesn't on these two. These principles are hare not to get--and I've pointed out in other posts that I've seen yahoos trying to do some small bit to get this--but these are again personal and individual and are thus subject to much interpretation--which is the point.

In the end, the Principles of Burning Man open with the idea of Radical Inclusion. Like the Bill of Rights, the opening statement is the most important. That statement sets up the unspoken idea that by including everyone eventually everyone can 'get it'.

And they can. Eventually, alt12, people like you will stop railing against those who do things differently, the people who wrote these priciples have faith in you and your ability to learn. They know that you have an idea of society that is limited by the propaganda the default world feeds you. But they think that you, just like the billionaire campers, are worthy to be included in 'anyone'.

Honor the faith they have in you. Take from this the simple lesson that if we start excluding those who have different ideas we kill BRC.
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"
lurker
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:23 pm

Postby vargaso » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:40 am

That duck car was nuts, the group I was with couldn't believe it when we saw it the first time on burn night. It was so huge it was surreal. We took a few beats to acknowledge and admire it, then continued enjoying each other and the people we'd meet.

My point it that the few "funded" camps, for lack of a better word, had almost zero effect on us and anyone else we ran into, outside of providing some interesting visual and aural stimulation (pretty sure that's a good thing).

People bitch and moan about the theme or the billionaire camps or whatever else, but the BM experience, for me anyway, always hinges upon the smaller, more immediate moments. A little bar in the middle of the playa during the dust storm, the amazingly cool couple we camped next to and hung out with all week (whom we hadn't met before), walking towards the playa in the middle of the night and getting picked up by a crazy round 6-person bicycle. Seriously, I barely noticed the theme and since we always camp way out around 9:00 and J, all we had around us were small camps.

Let the rich try to buy an experience. It won't happen for them (or more likely, they'll end up taking away smaller experiences they weren't expecting). And anyway, if we didn't know anything about the backstory of the duck car ( and I hadn't until reading this thread), we'd all be saying how fucking cool that thing was. I mean, come on, it was a 100-foot fucking DUCK. Crazy.
User avatar
vargaso
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:26 pm
Location: Lincoln, CA
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby pinemom » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:17 am

You know...if I was to hit the whatever lottery tomorrow, you couldnt bitch at me for wanting a bigger rig to put my dusty ass in at dawn.
For I too would enrich my camp with my luxuries, top shelf alcohol all across the bar top to prevent more hangovers.
The funny thing here is why is someone upset that someone might possibly have more $ to throw at their creature comforts.
And to share a giant Ducky with us.
Hell, I never even got to see the giant duck...but Burner baby said it was her fav thing. I'll take it from her excitement as she explained to me playa side how neato it was.

We all Contribute to this City. How when and why we do it...will always be a mystery till we get out there.
Ya being rich and an ashole...thats bad.
Being poor and a asshole...is worse!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
User avatar
pinemom
 
Posts: 8244
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Booby Bar 2007-2011

Postby pinemom » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:24 am

woops....Ima gonna correct one part here...
ANYONE dumping Grey or BLACK holding tanks on the playa is an instant asshole in all realms of all the universe!

We had poor people do that next door to us last yr...we instantly grabbed earth gaurdians and reported them!
(ha. and they were default friends) but it didnt matter....when your wrong potsy, your really really wrong!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
User avatar
pinemom
 
Posts: 8244
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Booby Bar 2007-2011

Postby ZaphodBurner » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:36 am

MrMullen wrote:
alt12 wrote:hate to tell you buddy, but burning man is a san francisco event founded by san franciscans with san francisco left values....its just a fact....some of those values are left/commie/whateverthefuckyou want to call it....if you don't like it maybe you shouldn't come back next year....personally I like having more republicanesque folks at BM because I hope that some of our SF values will rub-off on them....but I guess not always....


Typical San Francisco liberal, "I am tolerant and accepting of you as long as you are like me or something I am willing to tolerate because in some way I am superior, but in reality I am just a close minded egotistical schmuck like any of those guys,


Here in Oregon the term for that is "Bay Aryan." By the way, Larry Harvey is a native of Portland.

Having been close to the alleged billionairre camp, though, I have to say that Alt12 has a point. An intersection and about half a block of A street near 8:30 were blocked off by a wall of identical touring coaches parked so close to each other that all that "theme camp" space was entirely private and--worse--dark. It gave the street a sort of back-alley feel because there were no lights, no art, and all you could hear were all the generators. I met people from every camp around us, but I don't even know what anybody in that camp looked like. They did have their own bathroom/shower building...not a structure, but a portable -building-.

I don't actually know where the front of their camp was so if I wanted to introduce myself I'd have felt like I was climbing through a window to do it.

Radically-exclusive sucks at Burning Man. It's a bad precedent.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
User avatar
ZaphodBurner
 
Posts: 1330
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:05 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Spending more than you should at BurningMan.

Postby marck » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:51 am

A quick disclaimer: I'm not rich, I don't make six figures, I am not a trust fundamentalist. I just work hard for a living and spend too much on things I don't really need.

All this talk of Billionaires and excessive spending reminds me of something that happened during the Temple Burn. Over the last few years I've thought it would be nice to regroup after the chaos the ensues after the Man or the Temple burns. So I picked up a green laser so my friends and campmates might be able to locate me. It's >350 mw, it's very bright, and if misused it will do instantaneous and permanent eye damage.

I don't feel bad about not handing over that laser to someone I don't know, in fact I only hand over the laser to people after I've given them safety instructions and figured they are responsible enough not to hurt people with it.

I've used it to direct Traffic last year when the Gate opened, when people kept calling me a nazi because of my American WWII cavalry uniform. My MO is to point it back towards where the Man was or back to camp with the hope that my people will find me so we can walk back together. It's worked well, the BurnCrew for the Man used me to help get together after the Man went down.

So I was at the Post-Temple and these three guys walk up on me and start talking to me.
"That's a really powerful laser."
"Yes, yes it is."
"Where did you get it?"
"Online."
"How much did it cost?"
"More than I like to admit."
"I had a laser like that and last night someone took it away from me."
"---"
At this point this guy and his two friends start separating apart a bit and are giving me this look like they are sizing me up. I've been in quite a few fights and it looked like something was about to start. I turn my head slightly hoping to catch a glimpse of my two friends who had already found me. They weren't there. Then I realized I'm holding a laser, and jumping someone with a powerful laser out and on is like jumping someone with a pistol which is out and cocked. I think they must have come up with the same conclusion because after a long awkward silence, they turned and walked away.

I bring a lot of stuff out to play with on the Playa, does that make me a bad person because I'm willing to spend money on off the shelf items rather than fabricate them myself? I can't afford to build the 30 watt green laser I really want, so a handheld is more in my price range.

If I could afford it, I'd make a huge art car, and a huge 16-freq dome, but so much of what I really want to do is out of my price range or skill set, does that make me a bad burner? Should I be jealous of those people who have cooler stuff than me?

There will always be people who have more than you and there will always be people who envy what you have.
User avatar
marck
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:42 am
Location: The Black Rock Army
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Playawaste Raiders

Postby lurker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:15 am

There will always be people who have more than you and there will always be people who envy what you have.


Not always--the time is coming when people won't envy what you have, they'll envy what you can DO...and even that will fade when you can teach them.
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"
lurker
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:23 pm

Postby fciron » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:26 am

Alt12,

Are you going to your burn or theirs?

Lots of people really enjoyed the rubber-ducky car and sure as hell required some time and money to build. All the community gave up was a little real estate. So you heard from your friend who heard from a guy in the camp that they were jerks. It didn't affect my experience and needn't have affected yours.

If anyone wants to pay me to build a kick-ass MV so that they can drive around and try to get laid please PM me.
User avatar
fciron
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:49 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Postby marck » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:41 am

[quote]Not always--the time is coming when people won't envy what you have, they'll envy what you can DO...and even that will fade when you can teach them.[/quote]

When I say what you "have" I include the abstract with the concrete.

Your experiences, your knowledge, your skills are all what you have.

No one will ever be able to buy the experience of the burns they never went to no matter how much they wish they could. I know of some years I've envied other people's experiences of the same burn.
User avatar
marck
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:42 am
Location: The Black Rock Army
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Playawaste Raiders

Postby regynalonglank » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:23 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:and Dammit, Lanky One, after that I'd have to say that you can do her better than I can.


yeah, you know that's right :) unh

I so need that shirt...the "i taught your girlfriend that thing you like at burning man' t-shirt. hook me up bitches!
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum
User avatar
regynalonglank
 
Posts: 1514
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:11 pm
Location: in constant motion

Postby TheMuse » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:58 pm

I met the duckie guys - very cool couple of german's who were down to earth and excited about their project. Nothing but good things to say about them, their art and their camp.

Rock on Duck Boys!
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
User avatar
TheMuse
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:45 pm
Location: Oakland

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:54 am

GERMANS?



who the fuck let THEM in?
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby fciron » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:14 am

Does that mean no one wants to pay me to build their art car?

I think I can round up a personal chef and camp crew but you'll have to supply your own hookers.
User avatar
fciron
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:49 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Postby lurker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:24 am

When I say what you "have" I include the abstract with the concrete.

Your experiences, your knowledge, your skills are all what you have.

No one will ever be able to buy the experience of the burns they never went to no matter how much they wish they could. I know of some years I've envied other people's experiences of the same burn.


Give it time, you'll get that too.

"Experience' as we think of it today will be seen as a limiting, stillted way to be. It will be one small facet of a greater sensoria.

But I think I'm getting away from concepts I actually have words for.
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"
lurker
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:23 pm

Postby lurker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:30 am

They were germans? Well I guess that blows THIS out of the water--

However, it is a textbook cultural norm for the U.S.A (I guess in that sense it fits with the American Dream: everything is for sale and everything is commoditizable, including the counter-culture...


And hey, since they were germans, and they're from a culture that's down with socialism, does that make it okay now? A proud triumph of socialism showcasing and mocking the capitalist American dream?

Because I've noticed that it's perfectly fine to have obscene wealth, and live an ostentatious lifestyle as long as you mouth support for the proletariat and the plight of the workers.
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"
lurker
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:23 pm

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:35 am

Because I've noticed that it's perfectly fine to have obscene wealth, and live an ostentatious lifestyle as long as you mouth support for the proletariat and the plight of the workers.



wow, John and Cindy were there too?
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Theme Camps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests