80'S CAMP - IS ANYONE INTERESTED?

Postby Siliconwolf » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:56 pm

fenwick, I'm not expecting any serious numbers or serious plans. I expect the camp to grow organically as people show up and start putting up whatever structures they have brought with them. Things usually work themselves out from there.

That said, Shakey asked for a show of hands and I was wondering what kind of result he got with that. Your point is well made, though, that the number of people who say they're joining up right now is the one number it's impossible to actually get. If Shakey gets 25 responses, that means we'll have 20 or 22 or 30 people, or any number [i]except [/i]25. That's why I'm just talking ballpark numbers here.

Oh, and can someone please bring some Depeche Mode? I'm afraid my '80s music collection is more on the heavy metal side of things.
Siliconwolf

80'S CAMP

Postby SHAKEY » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:16 pm

Hi 80's Campers,

Thanks fenwick for your backup on this... No, it's not just my show... It's all of you who would like to take part in 80's Camp. I just thought of the idea and put it out there. We will all make 80's Camp fun and hopefully a success so that we want do it again next year. All I want is to have a good time, meet new friends, relax, have some frosty beverages, enjoy BRC, and to have some fun celebrating an awesome decade in time... The 80's. No boundries... Just creativity and good times.

33+ hours and counting until the party begins in BRC. I will be rolling in hopefully by 2PM or so... Lookin forward to meeting all of you. Drive safe!

Shakey ("THe Duck Man" - Pretty In Pink) 8)
SHAKEY

Postby SHAKEY » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:21 pm

80's Campers,

A quick people total for 80's camp... At this point we are looking at somewhere in the range of 15 - 25 people. Again, just a ballpark. I hope all who have said they would join 80's Camp follow thru...

Thanks all!

Shakey
SHAKEY

Postby AdamM83085 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:31 pm

Hey, just wondering if anybody here has room in their tent for another person? I'm willing to put in a bit of extra work if somebody can fit me in there. I know it's totally last minute but I'm trying my hardest to get to Burning Man for the first time to have my birthday out on the playa. I may be new to BM but I'm reliable and a quick learner.

Hit me up at 603-477-2749, my name is Adam.
AdamM83085

Postby fenwick » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:45 pm

Siliconwolf wrote:Oh, and can someone please bring some Depeche Mode? I'm afraid my '80s music collection is more on the heavy metal side of things.

I got your request covered, the Germans been flooding the "80's related newsgroups with all kinds of DM remixes, so bring a laptop, bring a USB drive, bring a MP3 player - consider yourself extremely adequately covered for "normal" and remixed DM. My library - is your library...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AdamM83085 wrote:Hey, just wondering if anybody here has room in their tent for another person? I'm willing to put in a bit of extra work if somebody can fit me in there. I know it's totally last minute but I'm trying my hardest to get to Burning Man for the first time to have my birthday out on the playa. I may be new to BM but I'm reliable and a quick learner.

Hit me up at , my name is Adam.

Your welcome to squat near myself - or at the 80's camp itself. The hard part is finding either of us, which might mean we be next too each other. Just review the last few posts on this thread to get an idea where we are located

...and happy birthday as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fenwick
fenwick

yo

Postby midgetlovr » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:50 am

myself and one other person will deffinatly be joining you. see you in the morning!

-kendra
midgetlovr

Postby oldsalty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:58 pm

Did 80's camp ever happen? I looked for it at the beginning when I arrived Tuesday afternoon to no avail
oldsalty

Postby fenwick » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:14 pm

I checked with Playa info on Thursday - saw that Shakey registered the location of 9:30 and Jeep. I traversed the playa from 2:30 and Gremlin three times on Thursday, mid morning, mid afternoon and just about sunset - never saw or heard anything - the area of 9:30 and Jeep had a rather large population of crickets, but no obvious 80's group.

However - we at Gremlin and 2:30 had our own little party several nights before hitting the rave scenes.

Peace,

Fenwick
fenwick

Postby Siliconwolf » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:48 pm

Similar situation here. I saw two spots on the Playa Info map marked "80s camp", at 9:30 and Jeep and at 2:40 and Bonneville. They appeared to be in the same handwriting. I didn't see anyone in either place. I ended up camping at the second location anyway because I wanted to be near Gigsville.

I wish I had found some of you because it turned out to be a frustrating week camping by myself. True, I have friends in Gigsville, but to them Burning Man is like a week-long tailgate party, so they leave a little something to be desired when I'm looking for someone to roam around the playa with me to look at art.
Siliconwolf

Postby SHAKEY » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:08 pm

2008 80's Camp

80's Camp did happen...
I did my best to try to let people know the lcation of 80's Camp... The storm was so bad on Monday that I had to just park in a spot for short time. I did post the location with flyers and on the city map... The flag was up and I never saw anyone trying to find the camp. Tuesday morning with better weather I moved to a larger location on the corner of 9:30 & Jeep. The music was going... The flag and disco ball were up... I once again posted everything at center camp and put a locator listing on the center camp info computer... But once again, I never met or saw anyone trying to find 80's Camp. I made friends with the folk around me and we had a goodtime... Everyone was into the music... But I must say for all the communication that took place prior to BM no one showed up. I wound up packing out on Thursday... Certainly not what I wanted or expected but I felt like no one was going to follow thru. Four days should be enough time to locate 80's Camp... It wasn't that difficult. But no one did... Everything was posted at center camp from late Monday afternoon and updated Tuesday morning. Sooo anyway... Bummer deal

Shakey
SHAKEY

Postby oldsalty » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:09 am

Drag, I was looking around 3-3:30 for some reason between f-k on tuesday afternoon. I could find nothing at the theme camp registry and I ended up camping at 2:30 and K-car. Friendly neighbors overall and I left saturday nite as I had to get back to SF for a early flight monday morning. Great time except for a few uptight neighbors who shouldn't have been there.
oldsalty

Postby Tiffanie5366 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:32 pm

Well I am glad you posted that you packed it up on Thursday. I thought I was loosing it a little. I looked for you guys too but I didn't get there until Thursday.

That makes a lot of sense now.

What a drag!

There is always next year!!!!!!
"Peace & Prosperity to you, your families,
and everything you own."
Tiffanie5366

Postby fenwick » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:56 pm

A few lesson's learned - do noy wait until Thursday to look for a specific destination - look sooner.

Yep - the weather Monday was a bummer- as was the unnecessary wait in the penalty lot (A few lessons learned there as well).

SO - instead of focusing on 2008 - shall we move the deiscussion regarding this camp from 2008 - to 2009?

If we start planning now - perhaps those of us interested in hooking up this last year - can get things rolling for 2009?

This would include items like placement (2:30 and G area has many advantages, like far less dust then 8:00) - perhaps reserved or not - perhaps extremely limited early arrival come 2009 for some setting up any communal structure.

I simply don't l;et good ideas fall down the drain, more then willing to put time and energy in making this happen - even if unofficial again.

Some did find me and mistake me as "the camp" - but after trading MP3 files and other whatnot's, I made it clear I was not SHAKEY - as my mailbox had my playa name on it (Figgy) - but we still had fun.

Here is to hoping for much better weather, much better playa surface conditions, and a bigger party in 2009.

Peace,

Figgy
fenwick

apparently it WAS that difficult

Postby midgetlovr » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:45 pm

because I spent the ENTIRE week there looking for you and never found you. i drove around for HOURS and never found you.
midgetlovr

Previous

Return to 2008 Theme Camps