Billionaire Camps

Billionaire Camps

Postby alt12 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:59 pm

I have a friend who is a ranger and visited the Rubber ducky camp while they were setting-up...Apparently, the camp was essentially purchased by two very wealthy individuals, right down to the gigantic Rubbery Ducky art-car and a hired crew to set-up everything as well as a fleet of literally million-dollar RVs....I have another friend who worked the med-tent and told me that their neighbors had flown-in to BRC with (I swear to god here) prostitutes and RV fleet, complete with a crew that cooked, cleaned for them, etc....even one of the RVs had a "Crew Only" label on it for their maids and chefs, etc.....He pointed-out these two 40-something guys at the Deep End when they arrived with their blond 20-something hookers and atrocious costumes....They stayed about 6 minutes...

Any thoughts on what we as a community should or can do about this? Is it just something we need to accept that the culture and norms of the default world will eventually permeate burning man? Nothing against people with oodles of money coming to BM (thats nothing new) but it seems to me that the attempt to purchase participation is 100% counter to the spirit of the event and everything it stands for (i.e. radical self reliance vs. radical conspicuos consumption)....However, it is a textbook cultural norm for the U.S.A (I guess in that sense it fits with the American Dream: everything is for sale and everything is commoditizable, including the counter-culture...

Perhaps there is nothing to do here as anyone with the buy Burning Man approach will either a) simply not get the event and not come back (i.e. self-select out of Burning Man) or b) will get-it and come back with a more authentic and participatory role thereby adding to burning man instead of taking away from it.....

That being said, I had one of the best burns ever....
alt12
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Re: Billionaire Camps

Postby HughMungus » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:20 pm

Did you meet them?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby zabsinth » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:38 pm

I spent a good drunken hour attempting to spirit a beautiful russian girl in her early twenties (who didn't speak any english) away from the trollish 50-something man who brought her to the playa...

I had no ulterior motives, of course.
zabsinth

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:45 pm

what did you expect?

it has been heading that way since 98'. i believe Space Station Zebra was one of the first "mega Camps"...

having prostituted myself for the past 4 years to a "mega Camp" i can say that without the resources, we wouldnt be able to throw the same kind of party for the playa as we have done.

with that said, i'm afraid i wont be participating for awhile.

i am toasted....after 12 years on the playa, and especially the past 4, it has becaome a job....a full time, 24/7 gig, and thats not what i want my one fucking vacation a year to be.

i didnt see shit these past years...no photos....no events....nothing...

just work.

i love the people in my camp. they are the greatest bunch of people, thrown together under harsh conditions, and from different walks of life.

we busted our asses for you, our fellow burners, and it just doesnt seem to matter...

nobody says thank you anymore.....and thats all i really need to keep going, just a litttle smile and nod of appreciation from the people who use, and abuse the stuff we worked very hard to produce.

we had no hookers, and we pitched in on the kitchen duties, and contrary to popular belief, the "billionaire" that runs our camp does NOT pay his dj's, it is all voluntary. (ok, maybe a ticket or two here and there, but not the lavish salaries you might think)

i am torn. i love the big sound camps, and the dancing and all that these bring to the playa....you may disagree, but just imagine the playa without them....

now the question becomes how can we direct these resources and the corresponding patrons to better represent and provide for the playa and it's citizens some financial stability and support system.

it's not how much money, it's how you use it, it is merely a tool.

we may have missed the nail-head a few times, but the hammer has good intentions, and at least from where i see it, and i was there, inside, watching it all. with a little bit of guidance, it need not be just a weekend of debauchery for the filthy rich.

if we arent careful, it will end up that way....

and now, my farewell.....it is time to leave the dust behind, i've had a good run. Capt. Godammit, it was a pleasure to meet you and badger in the flesh as well as the peeps at the bombay tea company.

i missed all the fun at the meet and greets because i was working.

and so i leave you all with this thought....

"speak good words, think good thoughts, do good deeds"

that is all.

i love you, burning man, but i have to go now, and with tears in my eyes, i must say "goodbye".

Simon of the Playa.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Billionaire Camps

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:49 pm

HughMungus wrote:Did you meet them?

Seriously, if I knew there were billionairres with hookers and airplanes and touring coaches near me, I'd ferdamnedsure introduce myself.

It did seem like there were a LOT of coaches, and I saw one camp in which all the coaches were identical in make, model and color, and arrange in a square around a large inner tent, on Allante. We thought this was kind of shitty because their "theme camp" was just a private party that darkened the streets and filled the afternoons with generator noise from at least half a dozen RVs. Lame. Or, they had a real kickass camp and I simply lacked the initiative to go say hi to our neighbors down the street.

Either way, they're living the American Dream, right?

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:50 pm

oh, i almost forgot.....Rock on Thirteen! it was so cool, and perfectly burnerlicious to finally meet you on my way in...

shit like that happens all the time in Black Rock City...like magic.

be well, and look for me in the shadows, i'll be there with all the other ghosts.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby alt12 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:27 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:what did you expect?

it has been heading that way since 98'. i believe Space Station Zebra was one of the first "mega Camps"...

having prostituted myself for the past 4 years to a "mega Camp" i can say that without the resources, we wouldnt be able to throw the same kind of party for the playa as we have done.

Simon of the Playa.

Simon - I am definitely NOT knocking on Root Society....That is an example of a serious contribution to Burning Man that could not be accomplished without the financial backing of someone like Jefr Tale...I know he doesn't pay his DJs and seriously respect the effort that you all put towards a mind-blowingly kick-ass sound camp........ What I am referring to is the private catered event camps with people who have no connection to BM and basically don't participate but hire out everything.....A camp that involves no self-reliance, no communal effort, no radical participation or self-expression (other then that which has been purchased)...Essentially a camp that is devoid of the 10 core principles of
Burning Man....

..... And just to be clear I was literally referring to a camp with not one but two billionaires in it.... (although the hired crew could have been exaggerating)....

I for one thank you and all of you that worked tirelessly all year long to provide a fantastic experience for all involved....I am sorry you feel the way you do and aren't getting the appreciation you deserve...I for one have received nothing but appreciation from those who experienced some of what my camp offers and while I agree it has turned into a tireless year-round grind in some ways I do still think its worth it......
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby HughMungus » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:36 pm

So...did you meet them?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby ibdave » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:50 pm

Or just mind your own business... 11th year for me and it works well for me. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

limo

Postby stickysunset » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:02 pm

on sunday morning, i saw a clean, new, black cadillac escalade drive toward esplanade on 5:30. the smallish lettering said, "executive limosine" and was driven by a man w/ slick white hair. i thought wow...imagine just being whisked out of here w/o packing or crying.

i decided i need the crying and i don't pack anyhow...just shove and cram!

sunset
izzit august yet?
stickysunset

Postby d6 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:55 pm

Simon -
thanks for eloquently stating many of my feelings, am sad to see another long-termer go.

There have been highly-funded "status" camps as long as i've been going, and really, if you dont like 'em, dont go to 'em.
spring break...again!

it makes me unhappy, as the ones that i have met or tried to speak with(sometimes they were our neighbors) all resulted in the same "we're here to be seen / get laid" mantra sounding like any club anywhere anytime.

it adds to the narcississtic "look-at-me-i've got nothing to offer" show that i wanted to turn off for a day or two.

d6,
hardest working "vacation" ever, and all you do is steal my stuff.
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot
d6

Postby EB » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:08 pm

alt12 wrote: What I am referring to is the private catered event camps with people who have no connection to BM and basically don't participate but hire out everything.....A camp that involves no self-reliance, no communal effort, no radical participation or self-expression (other then that which has been purchased)...Essentially a camp that is devoid of the 10 core principles of
Burning Man....

Cites? Proof?

Unless you macrame'd a tent from road weeds or brewed your own Pabst Blue Ribbon, I'll venture to say that you, too, are a part of the great, grinding corporate wheels of American commerce.

Maybe if you work a little harder in the default world, you'll get to afford the airplanes and whores you so clearly covet...
Irony. You're soaking in it.
EB

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Jerk Camp

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:47 pm

So there is a limit on how much money you can spend on BM ??

I for one, have my own burn to enjoy.. Never found the need to check others billfold..

The f..ing gate crew will make sure the "crew" has tickets for BM..
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:48 pm

oops
unjonharley

Postby MikeVDS » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:57 pm

Is someone jealous? I sure am, but not of the way they experience their burn; but if that's what does it for them, then good for them.
MikeVDS

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:10 pm

maybe those young ladys you call hookers hired the old bucks to keep you punks off them..

There are times i have to get up and get my stripper friend home after her shift..
unjonharley

Postby MerkinMan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:43 am

Actually, I hired the hookers. But only to keep the attention of all the other burner ladies off of me. I figured if they new I was taken, they would all stop hitting on me.
MERKIN MAN: Protector of your sexy bits. Keepin' nether regions safe since last Tuesday.
MerkinMan

Postby betrdanevr » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:35 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:be well, and look for me in the shadows, i'll be there with all the other ghosts.

Lord, I have not been to BM yet, and I only *know* you from this forum, and I miss you already. . . don't go!
betrdanevr

Postby thirt33n » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:38 am

[quote="Simon of the Playa"]oh, i almost forgot.....Rock on Thirteen! it was so cool, and perfectly burnerlicious to finally meet you on my way in...

shit like that happens all the time in Black Rock City...like magic.

be well, and look for me in the shadows, i'll be there with all the other ghosts.[/quote

It was great to meet you too simon. you were at the top of my eplaya "to meet" list and I ended up greeting you!

..somewhere back months ago i heard you say you'd be stepping back from the "work" this year. I figured it'd be tough to do and when i saw you pullin' some dome climbing freak off of the root dome and scolding his ass i knew that you had fallen back into place.

see ya by the fire homey.
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:51 am

i almost beat the living hippy shit out of that guy, but something inside my grizzled little heart stopped me.

if you are that dome climbing hippy, and you are reading this, consider that my gift to you, that you are still walking.

dont do it again. I wont be there next year, and the security detail may not consist of burners.

and trust me, you wont want to fuck with them.

if i return (99% chance no fucking way) it will be on a tourist visa, incognito, and way the fuck out in grandpa-land, where i can get some damn sleep.

Coot Society, as it were....maybe some nice shuffleboard, pinochle, and those black support garters for my socks.

"Murray, where is my Geritol Martini God-dammit?"

"Hey, you kids, get off my Lawn!"

"it's 4:45, we're going to be late for dinner!"

you get the picture.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby somekind » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:17 am

If the rubber ducky bar was so rich, why were they always begging for mixers?
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.
somekind

Postby d6 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:30 pm

"Coot Society"
holy flurkin shnit thats funny.

even better than "Curmudgeon Camp" or "Bitterman Burners"

there were loads of folks climbing the zsu-zsu tower, and left to their own demise, did enjoy the german flag being planted up there, so un-pc!

d6,
plank on the road to oblivion
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot
d6

Postby blyslv » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:17 pm

""Any thoughts on what we as a community should or can do about this?""

1. Drink!

2. Apply for an art grant.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:26 pm

blyslv wrote:""Any thoughts on what we as a community should or can do about this?""

1. Drink!

2. Apply for an art grant.

Do about what¿

1. yes

2. yes
unjonharley

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:34 pm

it is too late, i'm afraid.

oh well, all things change, all things must end, eventually.

realize that BM is sliding into the muck known as default world, and will soon become part of the mainstream.

for all of you who remember the good old days, cherish those memories, and hope that i'm wrong.

Next Year,i'm going somewhere nice and quiet where i can play with guns, Like Detroit.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby HughMungus » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:58 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:it is too late, i'm afraid.

oh well, all things change, all things must end, eventually.

realize that BM is sliding into the muck known as default world, and will soon become part of the mainstream.

for all of you who remember the good old days, cherish those memories, and hope that i'm wrong.

Next Year,i'm going somewhere nice and quiet where i can play with guns, Like Detroit.

Yes, we know. It was better last year.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:18 pm

I'm more of a hundredaire..

Didn't get to see what yer referin but did notice a whole lot more RVs this year in general.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:45 pm

actually hugh, BM is merely a reflection of our society as a whole.

Art mirroring life imitating art etc etc etc.

Our American Dream has fallen ill, and is in need of tender loving care if we as a nation are to survive, and still maintain the core principals of our founding fathers and our constitution as well as our place in the global community.

What that medicine is, i do not know, i wish i did.

BM is representative (except the African American Portion) of America, and almost like a Canary in a coal-mine, foretells the shape of things to come.

perhaps Apokiliptika is right. Just sit back, pop open a Chilly PBR, and enjoy our Doom, for it is inevitable.

it's just sad, that's all. I thought we we're better than this, i really did.

i hope to god i am wrong.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Just like anything in life..

Postby Steel Kitty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Simon, I'm sad to see you go. Thank you for the great times. I've gone over to Opulent Temple every year (except this one, sadly) and helped them moop because I knew that come Monday morning after the burn, nobody would be helping them. This year I was living the dream and being completely selfish. (well, not really.. I did give a yahoo my fuzzy orange vest so he'd blend in more)

Personally, the massive camps and rich guys are just like regular life - it's the artists and inventors and unique individuals that bring something to the mainstream and it gets appropriated by the masses.

Like anything else on the playa, if you don't like it, you can switch the channel by walking down a different street or heading out to a different camp. Who cares how much money they blow on BM -- if they want to.. fine by me. What did upset me about the MASSIVE RV camps was the copious dumping of black water on the playa just before driving off. It might have been a full tank of grey, but there was more than a little brown matter floating in all that gunk as the two big dually wheels churned it up a bit.

And, just like life.... I couldn't do a damn thing about it.
Life isn't about arriving at the grave well preserved, but rather, sliding in sideways yelling "Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Steel Kitty

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Gotta admit, if I had that kind of money, that's not far from what I'd do!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Next

Return to 2008 Theme Camps