THE LAST YEAR OF THE DEEP END CAMP?

THE LAST YEAR OF THE DEEP END CAMP?

Postby Zman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:03 am

I have heard this will be the last year of the DEEP END. I hope this means they will return with a new theme next year. I cant imagine Dawn til Dusk with out them. What can be done to SAVE THE DEEP END. I know it take a lot of time and money to make these theme camps what they are but THE DEEP END is something special that I would hate to see not return.
Zman

Party Hard this Year cause it won't be back

Postby Coastburner » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:51 pm

Nope, word is this is indeed the last year. Better come and party hard like it won't be there next year.

Coastburner
Coastburner

Postby MikeVDS » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:56 pm

If you like what they do, set up a similar camp yourself. There is no reason why you cannot be a part of the next generation of "Deep End" style camp. If you want something, make/get it yourself, don't ask someone else to keep doing it for you.
MikeVDS

Postby thirt33n » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:32 pm

.....it was better last year
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:43 am

It's been said that the average Burning Man theme camp has a lifespan of about five years. It takes a group of people to produce one, and individuals within groups eventually move in different directions.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby JezebelinHell » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:28 am

Deep End is one of the only 'Dance' camps I really truly enjoy (yes, I love Burning Man and I fucking hate techno. Life's rough). Something about the daylight and the alcoholic Redbull drinks makes the thumpa-thumpa much more appealing. I will be sad to see them go, but I'm glad that I'll be there for the send-off.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby DoctorIknow » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:52 am

It's been a decision to go to BM for the past few years, one which happens when it either gets hot as heck in Sacramento and I get playa horny, or I think it just may be the last BM so I'd better go 'cause there is ALWAYS something internal that happens in me during the week that just doesn't get activated in any other environment in my life. Deep stuff...deep end...it's happened there, too!

Until I read it was the last year for DeepEnd, I'd been debating going. Not anymore...

I have yet to see so many people at BM having such a great time (not an occasional thing but a sure thing every day!) and actually interacting as opposed to that "dance by myself" shit going on all night to the thunka-thanka.
DoctorIknow

Postby dj_john69 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Bummer.

The Deep End rocks !! You'll be missed guys. :(
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby Diverse » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:38 pm

yes the deep end is pure class!
Diverse

Thanks all!

Postby Layne » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:22 pm

What started as a four seat bar has grown into something we never thought possible. Thanks so much for the kind words!

Its taken the core group of 12 quite, some work to manage this thing and to be honest we just want to go out on top.

Don't fret...this one will be our best yet. We encourage you to come, soak up the sun, have a drink, and dance your butts off.

We love you all big and small, short and tall, gay or straight, just don't hate! Come with big smiles and warm hearts and share it with your neighbor. Let's kick this thing out with a bang.

Dive in with high spirits and deep grooves!
Layne
Dj, Sound dude, camp houligan.
Distrikt DJ
Camp Houligan
Layne

Postby mnkybump » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:47 pm

It's true - this will be the Deep End's last year on the Playa.

We've put our hearts and souls into this camp and it's hard to let it go, but the time has come to say goodbye. It's not going to be easy, but neither is set up and break down or all the stuff that goes on in between burns.

We've entertained you guys for 8 years and I couldn't be more proud of what we've brought to the Playa. But don't fret... some of us are working on other project that will rock your world in the future.

Now... CAN I GET A DRINK???

-ronnie
mnkybump

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:56 pm

That you from the bottom of my heart!

I'm gonna be dancing my ass off this year..... :D

And, yes..... cocktails for all of you.... any time
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:13 am

What's so cool about Deep End? Just a lot of dancing?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

It's gotta be experienced to be believed

Postby Nouveau » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:13 pm

Last year was my first burn. My camp mates were hot on this deep end thing. When I first went there, I was amazed. I've never been in such an environment: sun baked playa, techno music tearing the place up, people in full regalia layin it all out. I was sober last year, and I discovered a zone there, well, it's in here, really, but I found it there. I thought of the song refrain "momma told me not to come" - things were off the hook. When the sun dips down behind the mountains, a crescendo rolls through the crowd, stepping things up another notch, as if such a thing seems possible. That may be the single most enduring experience - well, why bother with superlatives. All I can say is that is stands out with other great events to characterize the BM experience for me. I look forward to the sun and sweat and wild beat (and maybe a redbull alcoholic drink too), and dancin my ass off.
Hope to see you there.
Nouveau

Postby bdeywoo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:50 pm

This is sad news, we have camped next to you guys for years and how the hell am i going to know when its time to wake up now?

Thanks for all the great memories over the years!
bdeywoo

Postby ZaphodBurner » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:08 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:What's so cool about Deep End? Just a lot of dancing?

The Deep End was--and will be--just a lot of dancing the way just a lot of dancing ought to be. The bar rocked, and there wasn't much to "get" about it, which made it easier to "get", and so everybody always seemed to be having a good time.

Whenever somebody mentions the Deep End, I immediately think of white hot sunshine and lots of dancing people in flourescent colors. Endless positive energy.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby skookumchuk » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Last year was my first year on the playa. When I experienced the first intense dust storm on Wednesday I went wandering around to see how everyone was being affected.

As I was about a block away I started to hear the 'thump thump thump' and I thought "there's no way the deep end is still going during this."

Sure enough, as I got closer and closer the music got louder and louder. As I walked into the camp I could make out the silhouttes through the dust of people dancing like crazy with their goggles and masks on as if nothing was any different. That was my moment - when I realized the connection I had with these people and that I was home. From that point on the Deep End became a very special place for me.

I'm bummed that it'll be gone but I'm fired up that I've had the chance to experience it. I'll be sure to appreciate it even more this year.

Crazy thanks to everyone involved in making it happen.
skookumchuk

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Diverse » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:04 pm

yes, lot of amazing times at the Deep end!!!! :D
Diverse

Postby Isotopia » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:30 pm

I have heard this will be the last year of the DEEP END.

If you've heard it then count on it being true. Anything else is just rumor.

And we don't want that now do we?
Isotopia

Postby fenwick » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:39 am

Guess I will bring and drop off extra mixers for your bar staff this year.

Looking forward to a special week again in the deep end....
fenwick

Postby mdenzler » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Last year was my first burn too, as many others have expressed. I arrived mid-day Thursday and Friday was my first "full day" cruisin around the playa. I had heard about Deep End and managed to find it and had one of my best times there. Between "people watching" and loungin in a hammock, meeting people at the bar, or dancing to the beat, I must have spent...well, time is hard to track on the playa. the coolest thing i remember was dust storms coming through and the music not skipping a beat. storm comes...masks go on...storm leaves...masks off...storm's back...masks back on. but the party never stopped. So glad i made it last year so i'll end up with two deep end experiences under my belt after going back in a couple weeks! many thanks to all who make it happen
mdenzler

Postby zscott57 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:55 am

The DEEP END has alwas been my favorite place on the playa during the day. I have never seen so many people in one place having such a good time. DEEP END DJs are the best on the Playa.
zscott57

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:07 pm

Last year was 2007, this is the second to last year.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby subliminalfringe » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:35 pm

Last year was my first burn and I was lucky to find The Deep End - almost didn't make to that section by the end of the week. Your camp really stood out and I had a great time! I will be missing the send off this year. Getting married and BM was too hard to swing so close to the wedding. Looking forward to the next great idea from you guys...

SF
subliminalfringe

WOW

Postby studebaker hoch » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:14 am

That Saturday party in the dust storm with the white sunset was really beyond words.

Thanks guys for the great years, The Deep End will truly be missed.
One playa, many worlds
studebaker hoch

still waiting...

Postby Steel Kitty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:51 pm

I'm still waiting on my cool DEEP END hanky and tee-shirt I bought last year. You know, the orange one with the deep end logo.

Guess that was the joke after all. Fuck.
Life isn't about arriving at the grave well preserved, but rather, sliding in sideways yelling "Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Steel Kitty

Postby PsychMaster510 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:05 pm

BOOOOOOO. I'll miss you guys. I agree that dancing on the tower in the dust storm on Saturday was likely the peak of my week.
PsychMaster510

Postby grogling » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:21 pm

What I will miss:

The endless beat all day long, driving by and seeing all the happy people dancing, the fact that it wasn't right next to Rangers or Medical, giving the graveyard staff at those locations a chance to sleep, yet still be close enough to render aid.

What I won't miss:

The MOUNTAIN of bikes and lack of effort spent in doing something about them as they spilled out and completely covered the street. Unfortunately the Deep End was one of the worst offenders of this, and even though it was the only real problem with the camp (in my opinion), it was a severe one as it forced Rangers and ESD to avoid the block Deep End was on when responding to an emergency, going the long way around. The party was great... the problems it caused for those in need of emergency assistance, not great.

Regardless, I'll miss the Deep End.

-g-
grogling

Postby grapes » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:20 pm

this year was my first burn, after many years of desire and failed attempts to get out to the play. i've been coming to eplaya for awhile as well, never registered though. until right now because I just had to say:

THANK YOU, DEEP END!

from the bottom of my heart.

i was moved to tears on Saturday as I looked around me and saw hundreds of like minded beautiful souls grooving their sweet asses off. what dust storm? thank you so much for all your hard work. the reward for me and obviously many others can't be measured.
What we provide is an atmosphere... of orchestrated pulse which works on people in a subliminal way. Under its influence I've seen shy debs and severe dowagers kick off their shoes and raise some wholesome hell. ~Meyer Davis
grapes

Postby Layne » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:49 pm

"The MOUNTAIN of bikes and lack of effort spent in doing something about them as they spilled out and completely covered the street. Unfortunately the Deep End was one of the worst offenders of this, and even though it was the only real problem with the camp (in my opinion), it was a severe one as it forced Rangers and ESD to avoid the block Deep End was on when responding to an emergency, going the long way around. The party was great... the problems it caused for those in need of emergency assistance, not great. "

I couldn't agree with you more. We actually had three man patrols of which I was a part of all week long that did nothing but move bikes and I mean 100's of bikes evey after noon.

We got on the mic and asked people to 'please be respectful' I had several talks with the Rangers about it. We set up parameters and people would just leave their bikes in the middle of the street?

I'm not sure what else we could have done? I mean fuck all now because what's done is done but we certainly did our best to appease and respect the Rangers and comply with anything they asked of us.

Thanks everyone for the memories! You all rock!
Distrikt DJ
Camp Houligan
Layne

Return to 2008 Theme Camps