THE TAROT: IT'S NOT JUST FOR HIPPIES ANYMORE!

THE TAROT: IT'S NOT JUST FOR HIPPIES ANYMORE!

Postby magdalen23 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:46 am

It's kind of an acting job. More like DIY modeling. Maybe performance art? Or just taking another absurd photo at Burning Man while you happen to look your hottiest, haughtiest, or naughtiest. Or when you look like a dust-caked psychotic goggle bunny. In any case, you're invited.

Miss Magdalen the Mystical Misanthrope needs help making a new edition of the Burning Tarot deck. Bring your shining faces (and asses) to TAROTIST TRAINING CAMP so you can star as the next High Priestess, Death card, or Six of Playa Dust.

Wear your character's costume and we'll take your photo in front of the tarot card background; come flaunt your stuff Tuesday after sundown, or wander by any time.

If we're not home to shoot yr pic, bring a camera & pose in front of the big red card-looking thingy. When you get home, email your favorite photo to magdalen23 at good ol' Gmail, and tell us what card you wanna be. OK? OK!

Photos will be posted after BRC at www.magdalen.com and made into a tarot deck for future Burning Man expeditions.
magdalen23

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Burning Tarot

Postby Dusza Beben » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:55 pm

Oooh! Sounds like fun.
Been doing playable decks & tarot with other artists for a while know
but never on the playa!

DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.
Dusza Beben

crap photos, good readings on Tuesday early evening...

Postby magdalen23 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:03 am

yeah, come on by! i realized Tuesday night will be a crap time for photos, since we'll have to use a flash, but we'll take some anyway. and i'll be available for "real" tarot readings too. (Madame Magdalen the Mystical Medusa seems to read *particularly* well with the aid of wine, especially full-bodied reds, prosecco, champagne, and other bubblies. i mean, just so you know.)
magdalen23

Greetings!

Postby stormfeather » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:17 pm

Greetings: Fellow PDX'er and Cacophony friend of Steven St. Cheese here!
I'll be showing up as the Empress!

I hope you'll have time to read my cards. I hear you are very talented!

Here's an invite to join us over at the Bomb Bay Tea Company Corsair and 5:30. I'm one of their EXPERT tasseographers (tea leaf readers), and will be working Wednesday. Stay and join us at 5pm next door at Burning Sam Camp for a PARADE!
Camp Sietch Grabrear & Shai-Hulud MV
6:00 and Fossil 2009
http://sandworm.tikimojo.com

The Spice Must Flow!
stormfeather

Postby gaminwench » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:36 pm

Hey, magdalen, I heard that I was 1/2 of the 'Lovers' card in the 2003 deck - how do I find out if it's so???
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby transgirl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:11 pm

Awesome, awesome awesome idea. I'd freakin love a deck. Sounds completely amazing.

...although I never knew they were a hippie thing. ???? Out here it's usually lower income rural types into it.
transgirl

everything and everyone

Postby magdalen23 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:06 pm

hello lovelies... miss magdalen of the mystic mayhem cannot WAIT to get her tea leaves read! divine!

The Lovers in the 2003 deck were Llewyn Maire and Joshua Camozzi Milligan, looking quite dusty, disreputable, and utterly compromised.

as for getting yr own deck: of the 2003 deck i have only one. it's very small, and laminated, so i can take it around and give people readings in the weather.

not sure what form the next deck (2009 or 2010) will take, after we photograph all you charming people. i was thinking about it: there is no way i can afford to make and distribute actual decks unless i sold them online, and of course one can't do that, so... so much for getting them printed properly and all that.

but i will post them online once the cards are set up. then y'all can download the ones you want and build your own preferred decks, print them up on yr computers at home. how does that sound?

it'll be sometime in 2009 before i can post everything (busy busy year). there will be a link at www.magdalen.com and i'll come post on the ePlaya, too.
magdalen23

Postby steveboy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:31 pm

Since everyone and his brother will be vying for the major arcana, I'm hoping I won't have a problem showing up with my bike & didgeridoo for the Knight of Wands. It's a card I always draw and that always ends up representing me, for some reason.

I've been wanting to do a photo Los Angeles Tarot for years -- I'm so glad you're doing this.
steveboy

Postby Prospero's Ghost » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:31 pm

Can't wait to participate in this! Can we show up and fill in for whatever might be needed to complete the deck or should we come with set ideas? I don't have anything at home that is appropriate for costume but hopefully I can find something on the Playa to borrow! Would love to be the Knight or Page of Cups! I will get my camp mates involved as well. So cool...!
Prospero's Ghost

Are you aware you are crossing a Tarotist Training Zone?

Postby magdalen23 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:57 pm

Fucking hell, that was an amazing playa trip. Thanks to all who waited for readings, put up with how exhausted and disorganized I got after doing a zillion readings, came back the next day, brought me presents, and generally made it such a damned fascinating and significant week of my life. Wow. Thanks.

As for the next Burning Tarot: Well, if you took your own photo, email it to me, magdalen23 at the domain gmail dot com . Making the next Burning Tarot deck for y'all to download may take a while; it'll eventually be around at www.magdalen.com and i'll post about it here.

OK.

Wow.

Thanks.

Wow.

Etc.
magdalen23

2009 Burning Tarot

Postby magdalen23 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:39 pm

hi - i've been getting some emails and i think people have been reading about last year's Burning Tarot - hold on folks, it's different this year! sorry for the confusion. here is the FAQ:

WHERE IS THE NEW BURNING TAROT DECK FOR US ALL TO DOWNLOAD FREE, DANGIT MISS MAGDALEN???
Well, uh, it's a double tarot deck, so it's taking me twice as long to finish. That is my excuse! It will be done and online for your downloading pleasure by August 14. www.burningtarot.com will be the location.

WHERE'S YOUR CAMP THIS YEAR?
2009 Burning Tarot: it's all about the confusion. we have asked for perimeter placement (on a roadside) of the Hushville village, but we don't know if the folks at Hushville will place us or accept us.

if not, we will set up someplace in the suburbs.

WHEN WILL YOU GIVE READINGS?
Readings will be given whenever we're around, plus 1-3 pm Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Burning Tarot workshop (beginners on up are welcome -- will happen regardless of weather) is Thursday 4-5:30. we'll discuss how to read Double Tarot, along with basic Tarot and whatever anyone wants to talk about.

check WhoWhatWhere (burning man schedule) plus online events calendar for updates. or email us/check our site.

WHAT'S ALL THIS ABOUT BURNING TAROT IN AN ART SHOW TAKING PLACE IN AN ABANDONED NURSING HOME??
Also, we are at the Manor House art show inPortland Aug 14-24. milepostfive.com -- click through to "Manor of Art" details. lots of parties, openings, bands, etc.

HOW DO I FIND OUT MORE?
details, or to receive email updates about everything: burningtarot.com and <b>magdalen23 att gmail.com</b>.

DO YOU READ TAROT OFF-PLAYA?
yes.
magdalen23

Burning Tarot deck ready for free download

Postby magdalen23 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Come see your beloved BRC and your charming co-participants in Burning Man, starring in a double Tarot deck.

http://www.burningtarot.com
magdalen23

Return to 2008 Art & Performance