Any progress on plonking?

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Any progress on plonking?

Postby Niacin » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:39 am

Or have we proles proceeded past plonking, perhaps to passive perambulation past possible plonkees' prattle?
lebenskunstler - noun, German - someone for whom life is an art form.
Niacin

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Zondermaan

Postby technopatra » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:25 pm

yep, we found a plonking mod, but wanted to inmpleemnt the first round of other mods, first - the teory is if the user has mroe control over the threads they see, can more easily find the conversations they'r einterested in, the less of a desire for plonking. I was going to give the other mods 30 days, then check in with the community to see if they still want to plonk.

We will roll the mods when our engineer gets back into town next week.
technopatra

Postby KellY » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:03 pm

Hey Technopatra,

Re: thread control vs. plonking, I'm much in favor of the latter. I just started a thread, only to have DeFacto pollute all over it. Obviously, I'm interested to see what most people have to say about the topic -just not him.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

Postby technopatra » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:14 pm

Ironically enough, the object of your affection has been sending me links to plonk mods. He's all for them, too.

Again, we want to implement some other measures first - most of which are available to test on the staging server, but the fact is you can't get a sense for their functionality outside of alive environment. We are going to try out a round of mods live - don't worry, we'll announce it and warn everyone, first, and I'll be explicit about what's new - and see if it can satisfy folks' desire for more control over their experience for a while. If not, we'll implement one of the several plonkers we'll have tested in the meantime.
technopatra

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:49 pm

Woo Hooo!

You guys have your work cut out for you. :wink:

you guys are awsome.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:58 pm

with the return of the troll, a request to accelerate the plonk mods, please.

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:06 pm

genghis wrote:with the return of the troll, a request to accelerate the plonk mods, please.

I second and third that request for the fourth time to the fifth power.

:evil:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Lydia Love » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:16 pm

Hello? Hello? Is there anybody out there?

TP, darlin, obviously making BRR/Rev. Jones/ Maia go away will not work. He is a dedicated troll. He has way more time on his hands than you.

But if we had a plonk... who cares if he can still post? We could just plonk his every incarnation. He'd find himself pouring all that hateful energy into nothingness.

Pretty please, with sugar on top? Could we get an ETA on plonk?
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby Alpha » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:22 pm

Lydia Love wrote:But if we had a plonk... who cares if he can still post? We could just plonk his every incarnation. He'd find himself pouring all that hateful energy into nothingness.

If it were that easy, the "don't feed the troll" messages would have been enough to make him go away. All it takes is ONE of us to not plonk him, and to respond to one inflammatory post and bingo, we're all drawn back into it.

The problem, as I see it, is that some of us enjoy sparring with the trolls while others of us think of it as so much noise. The only solution I can think of is to contain this activity into threads that exist soley for that purpose. Then you can just ignore the thread.
Alpha

Postby Lydia Love » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:28 pm

All it takes is ONE of us to not plonk him, and to respond to one inflammatory post and bingo, we're all drawn back into it.

but why would I care? I wouldn't be able to read it. Rather, I'd only be able to read one side of it.

depending, of course on the fact that I haven't plonked both parties...

Troll's aren't going to let themselves be confined to one area and/or thread...

Though it *would* be handy to have an "ignore thread" feature too.
Lydia Love

Postby Alpha » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:49 pm

Lydia Love wrote:but why would I care? I wouldn't be able to read it. Rather, I'd only be able to read one side of it.

Take for example, the Fascism thread. Maia has posted to that thread 5 times, and it has generated a total of 75 messages. Are you really cutting down on the noise very much by not seeing Maia's 5 messages?

depending, of course on the fact that I haven't plonked both parties...

That would work in a one-on-one flame war, but I don't see that happen very often here.

Though it *would* be handy to have an "ignore thread" feature too.

Agreed!
Alpha

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:53 pm

I say give everyone the plonker so that they can see how it really works.
They will soon see it does not work as they imagine. Nor will any amount of work and time you put into so called "perfecting" it solve the problem.

TP may be right as to her point that it may be a "case studies" deliberation.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Lydia Love » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:05 pm

Alpha, I already ignore most of the threads on this board (in an attempt to avoid those I would plonk) - being able to do so mechanically would just be a sweet convenience. In the case of the fascism thread, being able to use the plonk would have just removed the emotional hook of the thread, if you know what I mean. I don't (unfortunately) have the ability to ignore those that piss me off without some sort of assist.

I dunno if any of the above made sense...
Lydia Love

Postby Alpha » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:09 pm

It does make sense, and I can see why you want it. I myself have taken bait from BRR and Maia, and if I had a Plonk I would use it so that I wouldn't feel the need to respond to that kind of rubbish. Even so, I think Plonking will not solve this problem because there's no way to get everyone on this board to use it against the same people. (nor should they, I'd venture to say, lest we actually do start to resemble a cult)
Alpha

Postby Lydia Love » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:19 pm

and I maintain that it will solve the problem for individual users - those that choose to use it.

It might even make this board somewhere I can stand to be social as opposed to now. I read a few of the newbie threads and maybe one or two of the general discussion and mark everything else read whilst shakin my head.
Lydia Love

Postby Alpha » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:23 pm

Well if a Plonk button means more Love from Lydia, then I'm all for it!
Alpha

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:26 pm

Hey, I've been begging for it for almost a year. anything to make Ms. love happy and to keep her from hurting her head. Eplaya needs her.

Please,please,please can we have the plonker soon.

Please?

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Lydia Love » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:44 pm

Bump.
Lydia Love

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:58 pm

I got ya plonker right here baby!

Dont ya see it in my sig? :lol:

Woo Hoo!

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Badger » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:14 am

Please,please,please can we have the plonker soon.

This reminds me so much of the dinosaur that wanted to see a meteor shower.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Sensei » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:49 am

Count me ready for a plonker. ASAP.
Sensei

Postby DVD Burner » Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:57 am

Plonk Meeee Baby!

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Tancorix » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:51 am

Plonk? We really don't need plonk (even though at times it would be nice). A good wheel mouse takes care of most of the offending content. And if you know it's a post by someone you don't like you just skip over that thread, read everything else then come back and mark all threads as read. Of course I read everything anyway. Even if you can't stand someone, sometimes they say important stuff that you want to catch.

Control your own experience. Click and scroll. Besides, the admin team needs a life beyond the eplaya involving tinkering with scripts and plugins anyway.
Tancorix

Postby Lydia Love » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:11 am

Look, I read cereal boxes. If someone is sitting across from me with a newspaper, I end up reading the side they are holding towards me. If the written word is in front of me, I read it compulsively. Scrolling past is not so much an option and I have the feeling I'm not the only person who gets caught by the crap.

I already mark 90% (or more) of the threads as read so I don't have to read the contents. If there are pearls of wisdom in those threads, I don't know it because they are so often polluted with a particular brand of giberish that sets my teeth on edge. If I don't respond, I sit there wanting to scream. If I do respond I get into a big 'ole fight in which I'm doomed to just making myself frustrated and probably violate the TOS to boot.

The admin team has already committed to adding a plonk, I'm just wondering if that is still in consideration.
Lydia Love

Postby Sensei » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:29 pm

Bump.

What if we say pretty please? Ok, ok with sugar on top.
Sensei

Postby Sensei » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:54 am

Bump. Again.
Sensei

Postby technopatra » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:35 pm

I am still awaiting a PHP coder to either help me with installing and testing the mods or teaching me how to do so. I don't think it's that difficult, but it will take a little bit of time and proactivity as s/he has to learn and get access to our CVS.

We have 2 mods that might work, they just need to be installed and tested on our staging server.

This can be handled by anyone living anywhere, but you will need to give me your real name and contact info.
technopatra

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:12 am

Hey wait a minute,

What happened to Precipatate? :? Was'nt she your php guru?

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby technopatra » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:52 am

She got busy.
technopatra

Postby Tancorix » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:16 am

She got busy? Visit the 3Playa, pull up the search function and run a search on Precip and the n*playa as they call this board over there. Read carefully then draw your own conclusions.
Tancorix

Next

Return to Feature Requests