UK Burners thread?

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:05 pm

Try to pick something as immune to dust as possible.
Maybe one running on a sealed hard drive or wide tape?
You can bag the cam to a certain extent.
bhphoto may have a good deal for you, even in pal.
gyre

Postby Charlie_H » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:39 am

Not long to go now! *does an excited bum wiggle!*

Who's staying in Reno the night before? Would be great to meet up with some of you!
Charlie_H

Postby TD-2441 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 am

I'll be in Reno the night before but I'll have spent the day in Vegas and my flight back is quite late, so no time to meet up :(

I'll be wandering aimlessley around Houston airport on 22nd August from 1535 to 2105, waiting for my Reno connection - I'll have a suitcase with the BM logo on it so look out for me and say hi if you're also in transit!!! :D :D

I'm not buying a camcorder now as I'm paying for a wingwalking day with the Guinot Aerosuperbatics team, so can't afford both - and would rather wingwalk! Just gonna get a couple of 8gig SD cards for my digicam, and take movie clips here and there. I think just photos of the event will be better than grainy film footage. Don't want to spend the entire week seeing BM thru a viewfinder!

Anyone fancy organising a Brits meet-up midweek on the Playa?
Imperial Sandtrooper TD-2441, http://www.tk2441.co.uk
No longer a Burner Virgin - coming back Home in 2013 ;)
TD-2441

Postby Charlie_H » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:57 pm

We're in Lake Tahoe on 22nd - 24th, so it's doubtful we'll see you in the airport!

I'm definitely up for a Brit meet up! Though I'm not sure what the likelihood of everyone sticking to it will be, as i heard playa plans tend to go out of the window once you get there...we're staying at Stag camp though so come say hi!!
Charlie_H

Postby TD-2441 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:42 pm

The Stag Camp? After browsing the entire list of Theme camps and realising just how many there are, I'm despairing now of FINDING them all....I hope we get some sort of map?? I doubt even after 7 days I'll have seen them all either :(
TD-2441

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:55 pm

There is not time to see everything.

Maybe when burning man is six weeks....

Keeps changing too.
gyre

Postby Charlie_H » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:17 am

TD-2441 wrote:The Stag Camp? After browsing the entire list of Theme camps and realising just how many there are, I'm despairing now of FINDING them all....I hope we get some sort of map?? I doubt even after 7 days I'll have seen them all either :(

Yeah there's absolutely loads to see and do! I don't think we'll have time to even get a fraction of it in!

I actually started going through the playa calendar making off all the stuff I wanted to do, but someone of Tribes gave me some good advice and ntold me not to bother even looking at the calendar, if I wasted my time trying to make it to all the events I planned to go to, i'd miss out on some of the ones that could have been great!

So all maps and calendars are being stored in the glove compartment to keep as souvenirs and we're just going to go where the wind takes/drags us!!

God, I cannot wait for this!!! :D :D
Charlie_H

Postby gyre » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:52 am

There are a few things worth looking for.
Just be ready to change your plans when something happens.
Choose carefully what you will spend time looking for.
gyre

Postby Charlie_H » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:12 am

Good advice, I think that's going to be our general plan, as long as we don't have too many things that we must see/do, then we'll get loads of stuff in I'm sure!
Charlie_H

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:17 am

i had tons that i must do last year and only did two of the things and that was my shift at the airport and ice house... other then that all planed parties and meetings got sacrificed to playa time...
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby Charlie_H » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:33 am

The more people are telling me that they never did what they planned the less I've been looking at stuff...I'd rather just go and see what happens and where I end up now!

Which is so unlike me as I PLAN everything! :lol:
Charlie_H

Postby TD-2441 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:08 am

Yeah I've decided to not let schedules and timings run the week and spoil things and stress me out - I won't regret not seeing what I don't know about, I'll rely on Playa gossip to recommend what's hot and what's not ;)
TD-2441

Postby TD-2441 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:32 pm

I am getting increasingly worried. Neither of the guys I'm meant to be meeting up with in Reno are answering their emails :@ one of them never answers anyways, but the other always does. He takes his laptop everywhere, but I've Yahood him, emailed, left Facebook messages, and NOTHING. I know he was going off to his daughter's wedding but Jesus, I fly out in just over a week and they've both dropped off the radar!

I've touched base with my brother's friend Will who will be at the John Cougar Melloncamp, he says camp fees are $100 and bring your own food, so I'm gonna see if (in an emergency) I can camp with them. I've printed out the JRS issue for transport and if I have to I'll get a bloody rideshare to the Playa. Or I'll see if there is a small campervan I can rent somewhere. I'm not bloody missing out on this now!!!! I just don't know how I'll be able to bring my own water, I can't carry enough to last me for a week unless I hire my own transport! I also don't have a tent ot sleeping bag, FAR too bulky to bring with me.

One of the guys had better get in touch soon! My parents are asking for their contact details so they know who I'm staying with, and I can't give them any yet cos I don't KNOW them. ARGH........

If I wanted to hire a SMALL campervan (do they have small ones in the States, hehe) where's best and roughly what price?
TD-2441

Postby TD-2441 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:11 am

I'm sure everything will be OK and they'll contact me but no harm in having a Plan B just in case........
TD-2441

Postby gyre » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:51 am

TD-2441 wrote:If I wanted to hire a SMALL campervan (do they have small ones in the States, hehe) where's best and roughly what price?

gyre

Postby TD-2441 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:44 am

I can get a space wagon with complete foldaway seats for 8 days for £166 bargain, and great to sleep in :D bags of room. No blowing away in dust storms too ;)
TD-2441

Postby TD-2441 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:44 am

Panic over he gotin touch :D I had a pretty good Plan B brewing too! 8) 8) :D :D
TD-2441

Postby gyre » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:39 pm

TD-2441 wrote:I can get a space wagon with complete foldaway seats for 8 days for £166 bargain, and great to sleep in :D bags of room. No blowing away in dust storms too ;)
What the heck is a space wagon?
gyre

Postby TD-2441 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:43 am

It's UK speak for a 7 seater Ford Galaxy ;)
TD-2441

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:50 am

Wow!
Must have missed that one.
Do they still use Galaxy in the UK?
You might look at vans and medium vans.

Shade is still a really good idea.
gyre

Postby Firmwood » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:51 am

Hola kids, i'm an Englishman by trade, although I currently live in San Francisco so I don't know if I count towards this chatter. I shall attempt to look some of youmz up when I are playa placed.
Firmwood

Postby Charlie_H » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:34 am

TD-2441 wrote:Panic over he gotin touch :D I had a pretty good Plan B brewing too! 8) 8) :D :D

Phew, I was panicing for you then when I was reading your posts, and trying to work out whether we could help you or not!

We set off for San Fran tomorrow so hope you have a safe journey, and an amazing burn!! x
Charlie_H

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:15 am

TD-2441 wrote:It's UK speak for a 7 seater Ford Galaxy ;)
One of these?
gyre

Postby TD-2441 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:01 am

So my baggaage limit for my flight is 23kg. I packed mostly everything last night and took it to Norwich airport to get it weighed. 24-and-a-bit kilos. Arse.

I'm not leaving my power stilts behind no way, so I've got rid of a few items of clothes and I'm sadly having to leave my Cyberlox behind as they are quite weighty. I have a smaller lighter set I can take but they aren't as good. Ah well. Hopefully too I'll cram what I can into my hand baggage too, but I have a full size Predator Bio to fit in there as priority (pics coming soon).

I will be fined £25 each way if I'm even a TINY bit over the 23kg limit. What fucks me off is that I weight 8 stone 9....now if I was obese and weighed twice that and more, I would NOT get a fine for extra weight. So that is unfair and discriminatory.

An overweight person can check in 23kg of luggage but they are also carrying many many kilos extra in body weight than an "average" person, yet which airline is going to say "I'm sorry but you're grossly overweight that'll be an extra £25 please"?? Hypocrisy!!!!
TD-2441

Postby gyre » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:34 am

Don't worry.
The airlines are easing into charging by the pound for passengers.
They have started charging for luggage now.

Why don't you wear some of the heavier stuff?

British customs always pretend to be sleepy.
The predator stuff might wake them up a bit.

I wore my heavy coat.
Only way to bring it.

Check out the language carefully.
Two carry on are allowed with some airlines.
They call it a laptop case or something.

Watch the dimensions carefully.
I used coolers as luggage.
It is suggested to box them well as they are rather careless, destroyed the hinges.
Then you have your coolers on the playa.
The wheels helped a lot too.
gyre

Postby TD-2441 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:48 am

I'm thinking of "layering" some clothes yes :D My cabin luggage seems to be about 7cm too long according to the Dept of Transport website, even though the Continental Airlines site says different...also says I can carry a camera bag as well as my hand-luggage, which will be handy. I'm wearing a coat with a huge kangaroo-style chest pocket that I'm going to put stuff in too. The Predator Bio is going to be bubble wrapped but looks like I'll have to not sellotape it up cos they'll want a peek. And yes it'll scare the crap out of them :D it will look something like this but will have the BM logo "branded" onto the forehead:

It's gonna hang on my back over my water bladder rucksack 8) 8)

I'm re-weighing my main bag tomorrow, I think it may just scrape thru this time, I wonder if they'll be lenient if it's only something like half of or one kilo over.........
TD-2441

Postby roamer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:43 pm

Well, here's wishing you all a good 'un!

I'm off home.

Via a damn long flight and a few days in Sparks prepping camp but on the playa Friday. Whoooo hooo!
Doing my bit to put the play in playa
roamer

GEEZERS

Postby your mother » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:31 am

my dutch topic only clicked in three responses all by americans! i assume your pound is doing most of that. But i had a great time and allthough i was a greeter and supposed to read all the material i handed out, I haven't looked at the calender for a sec.

it's all out there hte great outdoors!
did any of you had a free iced mocca on the playa? that was our crew!
since you english got tress growing punds somewhere i would like to start a fundraising here:

get this dutchie toBM '09
LOVE
your mother

Postby PabloInTheSky » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:20 am

Hey all hope you enjoyed bm 2008, i wasnt there myself but am planning to be there next year.

Just a quick question for anyone who flew to reno and got the bioshuttle to bm,
Was it much of a hastle to get there or was everything ok.
PabloInTheSky

Postby Cookie-Monster » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:21 pm

I Feel soooooooooooooooo lame!

It just occured to me to look up online for a BM Discussion Board. I wish I had reached out on here earlier!!!

I attended BM08. It was UNREAL for me. I still cant get over it. Its like I've been replaying a Scotch VHS tape in my head for the past week or so since my return.

I'm DEFO going back in 09.

As a virgin Burner I did pooh myself prior to the event, but EVERYTHING ran more than clockwork whilst out there.It did take a little bit of planning, but nothing that hasnt already been suggested viat the main website.

I cant believe how cool everyone was. There was NO attitude whatsoever. Why cant our normal lifestyle include the ethos of BM?

I flew into LA and drove up to Reno, and then onwards to BRC. The drive was pleasant, no real fears with driving an RV for the first time. all 10metres of it! I'm thinking of doing the same trip again next year. I drove to Las Vegas on the way back to check out the Strip, before driving back to LA and then flying home to London.

I would be really happy to hear from fellow )'( members with the hope to meet up prior, or at the next event.

I would also be happy to learn more about the party scene that people attened whilst out there. Personally, I enjoyed the Opulent Temple and the Deep End the best.

What were some of your favourite camps out there?

thanks
Sam, aka Cookie.
Cookie-Monster

PreviousNext

Return to Regionals & Events