Fuck This Theme

Postby Charlie_in_OC » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:22 pm

Just wandered over from The Bar.....

Thought there was pizza here

WTF!! :?:
Charlie_in_OC

Postby Sceloporus » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:55 pm

i heard there was a nice warm apple pie...

...if only i wasnt preoccupied with this chicken.
Sceloporus

Re: reality check please

Postby Kenny Z » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:50 pm

Sceloporus wrote: no..

it's

The American Dream.

and the city streets are named after cars.

Fence Lizard

My car's name is Eddie. I am going to protest that they use Eddie for "E"
Kenny Z

Re: reality check please

Postby steveboy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:25 pm

[quote="Sceloporus"]no..

it's

The American Dream.

and the city streets are named after cars.

Fence Lizard[/quote]
It isn't "In Support of The American Dream," it's "The American Dream." Whatever that means to you wherever you're from, positive, negative, or indifferent, admiring, critical, or lambasting. As evidenced this very thread people who love or hate America clearly have something to say about it. Well, here's a whole weeklong theme to give you a multiplicty of ways to express that. Why's that illegitimate?
steveboy

Postby transgirl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:28 pm

moshe! wrote:Luckily , next years theme is "taking yourself too seriously." so you should feel right at home there.

Zing! Haha, that's the best!

About the original post, what's wrong with Pepsi? mmmm, pepsi. it fizzles.
transgirl

So much for freedom . . . . .

Postby bittermac » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:02 pm

If it makes you feel good to say you love america, go ahead.

However, your words put the lie to that sentiment. When you saw what appeared to be a ring of american flags in the distance, you felt ill? Wht had YOUR burning man come to?
So . . . . to truly be a burner, well, a burner that agrees with you, you should not revere a flag that stands for a set of ideals? Ideals are what we can aspire to, whether we achieve that or not.

The kind of hateful, close-minded, fascist mind-set you seem to think everyone shares with you, is not american, not even close. It is american to have an opinion and, here is the true lesson you should learn, to allow that others can have opinions all their own. And guess what? They can have that opinion without all the name-calling you seem to think is "american". Freedom of speech is more than hate and name calling.

You are free to post that, free to say that, free to think that. Shame you don't allow for that same freedom in others.

I served in the military, and my father, and his, and his. All for those same ideals. A soldier doesn't chose the battle, the politicians do. If you disagree with the politicians choice, elect someone else and throw them out of office. There are other opinions than your own. I love my country, I do now, I did when I disagreed with a previous president that didn't share my views. That disagreement was not criminal. If your guy didn't win, sorry. Volunteer for the candidate you trust. Just get off of your whiney soap box and enjoy your camping trip.

I don't expect you to get this. I expect you to brand me with your hate-speak for disagreeing with you. But, just for the sake of it, if I felt the way you did, truly felt it, not just posturing on some messege board to sound deep and soulful, I would move as far away from that evil, dispicable country as I could. I invite you to actually stand up for your ideals.

Anybody want to bet on the outcome?
bittermac

Postby lurker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:51 am

Y'know, sometimes I can't help but wonder if any of these 'fuck the theme' retards have ever actually BEEN to BRC.

While this years theme is sure to bring out the big guns, BRC has never been a place where opinions that run counter to rah-rah patriotism have been shied from.

There's plenty of 'anti-American' stuff on the playa EVERY year.

I guess it was DaddyMassive that really made me think about it--BRC as a flag wavin' red white and blue fascist fest(funny that Euros--who've succumbed to ACTUAL fascism, like to throw that term in our faces so much--hey Daddy, didn't some of your real, homegrown fascists just have some wins in the last election?). Come on.

No one who's ever been to BM could think anything like that could ever happen.
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"
lurker

Postby Marscrumbs » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:13 am

More like a hand job than a fuck.
Marscrumbs

Postby joemomma » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:00 pm

Old soldiers never die ......young ones do.......
unknown.....
joemomma

Postby Shady Backflash » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:26 am

>I can't help but wonder if any of these 'fuck the theme' retards have ever actually BEEN to BRC.

this'll be my tenth visit in eleven years. i almost didn't come because the theme was so wretched. then a good friend whose first burn was last year said "you gotta come!" and, well, i'm hoping to see the playa a bit through her eyes and not notice how fucked up and lame this theme is. and just have fun anyway.

yes, it's a tragic, pathetic excuse for a party... "the american dream"... we're supposed to pontificate what? some cross-section of puritanism, consumerism, militarism, a butchered bill of rights and the prosperity that was built on slavery and stolen land via, uh? right... the use of "radical self-expression."

there will be a lot of very funny cynical humor, but i get plenty of cynicism just by waking up every day and seeing what the course of eight years of bush and the two party assault on freedoms has done over, oh, at least half a century... at least since the national security act of 1947 and the official enshrinement of the "national security state" ran roughshod over the so-called constitution...

burning man is born of the american dream, but it's not what i go to the playa to celebrate. for me, the best thing i can hope for this year is that most people will ignore the theme and pretend like they're in black rock city, not in larry harvey's art project.
Shady Backflash

Postby Shady Backflash » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:31 am

>Old soldiers never die ......young ones do.......
>unknown.....

here's a variation: "it's always the old to lead us to the war. it's always the young to fall. look at all we've won with a sabre and a gun. tell me is it worth it at all..." -- phil ochs "i ain't marchin' anymore"
Shady Backflash

Postby Elorrum » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:20 am

troll zone. . . who's that trip trap trappin on my theme? whatever, I love daddy's vocabulary, and would enjoy patriotic nummtie, numptie? camp. was that it?
Incendiary... what an odd choice for burning man.
Elorrum

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:40 am

"we will MAKE you wear the ribbon"

The American Dream, if you dont like it, well, there's always the Canadian Dream. Kind of bland, but at least they're polite.

god knows we can't let any Mexican dreams in though. That would be muy Malo. Muy MUY malo.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Kenny Z » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:15 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:

god knows we can't let any Mexican dreams in though. That would be muy Malo. Muy MUY malo.

Wait a minute! That would make a great theme for next year! Burning Man will be just one big tent that everybody camps in. Only one very large mutant vehicle will get approved but we will attempt to fit all burners on it whether safe or not. Lastly, instead of a gate, access to the event will be by climbing a fence.

***Disclaimer for the easily offended: The comment above is intended to be a joke and not an attack on any race, religion, sexual orientation, family status, etc. It's essentially a slight ribbing of a stereotype, for example, Americans buy SUV's because they can't fit in a regular car and eat a 5 course meal while driving.***
Kenny Z

Postby BunnyBoobs » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:17 pm

Bwahhhhahhahahhahahah! bwah!
BunnyBoobs

Postby Kimo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:21 am

I'll be bringing a special guest with me this year to the Playa. There's a picture of us hanging out together at the '06 burn (see my avatar). He especially likes this year's theme. If you'd like to tell him personally how you feel about the "American Dream" then please stop by 2:30 and Impala.

A big playa *hug* to all of ya!

Peace out
Kimo

On patriotism and war...

Postby Blue Sun » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:22 pm

"I hate it when they say, <i>'He gave his life for his country.'</i> Nobody gives their life for anything. We steal the lives of these kids. We take it away from them. They don't die for the honor and glory of their country. We kill them."

-- Admiral Gene LaRocque
If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.

--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Blue Sun

Re: On patriotism and war...

Postby Kenny Z » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:21 pm

Blue Sun wrote:".'</i> Nobody gives their life for anything.

-- Admiral Gene LaRocque

Rubbish
Kenny Z

Re: On patriotism and war...

Postby bittermac » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:21 am

[quote="Blue Sun"]"I hate it when they say, <i>'He gave his life for his country.'</i> Nobody gives their life for anything. We steal the lives of these kids. We take it away from them. They don't die for the honor and glory of their country. We kill them."

-- Admiral Gene LaRocque[/quote]

I hate quotes like that. Shocks me that he is a soldier. I served in the Gulf, for my country, as my duty compelled me. If it doesn't compell you, fine, to each his own, but you are forcing your view on that soldier.
Don't.
You do not have the right to declare his personal reason for serving.
bittermac

live and die

Postby demarcothebeast » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:47 pm

I've seen my life change from family to NO family in the last 5 years my father died of a heart attack, my mother died of lung cancer, my beautiful grandmother died of old age, her husband, my grandfather, at 88 died of heartache because she was no longer with us. My best friend was driving back from a concert and was killed instantly by a semi truck.
I moved away from my home town because i didn't know what to do. california bound. with my beloved dog Malachi.
California didn't work out so i drove back up to washington and stopped at rest stop to pee and my dog got out and i tried to get him back in the car for 4 hours. i was broke, tired, it was 4 am and watched 1 semi truck hit my malachi, looked behind me at my dog in this fucked up position and watch another semi truck pass my vision and threw malachi on the side of the road. I thank that other semi truck for crushing him because if had to see my dog so hurt and pain i would have jumped in front of a semi holding my dog and die myself.
who fucking cares about some of these issues you are talking about.
think about life and love and love and more love. burning man sucks now.
demarcothebeast

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:44 pm

I don't think this is the best place for you right now.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby demarcothebeast » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:30 pm

I agree i am sorry i was just venting (and a little tipsy) to someone other than myself.
i do sincerly apologize.
demarcothebeast

Postby Silverwheel » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:00 pm

"The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin
Love without hope, as when the young bird-catcher
Swept off his tall hat to the Squire's own daughter,
So let the imprisoned larks escape and fly
Singing about her head, as she rode by.
-Robert Graves
Silverwheel

Postby goathead » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:31 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I don't think this is the best place for you right now.

Wondering why the lack of compassion?
goathead

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:07 pm

Some days I just don't have it. Also, that's the sort of post that can create vicious counter posting that it just sounded like he didn't need to go through.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby goathead » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:55 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Some days I just don't have it. Also, that's the sort of post that can create vicious counter posting that it just sounded like he didn't need to go through.

I can understand that.
I can also understand when shit happens and happens.
And very permanent solutions look awfully attractive.
goathead

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:07 pm

goathead wrote:
I can understand that.

That's when it's time to go out for a run or hit the gym hard.

My first partner chose to end our 10 year relationship that way. It would only be an option for me if I could no longer enjoy a good quality of life. Other than that, can't ever see it as an option for me. Hell part of the fun of living is finding ways to deal with all the shit. Shit is going to happen anyway, might as well consider them challenges rather than obsticles.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby goathead » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:37 pm

jkisha wrote:
goathead wrote:
I can understand that.

My first partner chose to end our 10 year relationship that way. It would only be an option for me if I could no longer enjoy a good quality of life. Other than that, can't ever see it as an option for me. Hell part of the fun of living is finding ways to deal with all the shit. Shit is going to happen anyway, might as well consider them challenges rather than obsticles.

JK

Wonder about the kid at Comfort and Joy a couple years ago?
There was a kid who shot himself up here the night of High School graduation.
Fishy ask Metric about Chris.

Of course some just might want to borrow a gun, or maybe need a map to the Golden Gate...
goathead

Postby jkisha » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:51 am

goathead wrote:
jkisha wrote:
goathead wrote:
I can understand that.

JK

Wonder about the kid at Comfort and Joy a couple years ago?
There was a kid who shot himself up here the night of High School graduation.
Fishy ask Metric about Chris.

Of course some just might want to borrow a gun, or maybe need a map to the Golden Gate...

I had two other friends that committed suicide many years ago--both were in their teens or early twenties as I recall; oh and one other that killed himself by accident when he fell asleep in his car with the engine on outside his girlfriend's house; oh and one more that died after getting hit in the head with a hockey puck.

Geez, I better stop writing now before I remember any others. :cry:

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby goathead » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:57 am

jkisha wrote:Geez, I better stop writing now before I remember any others. :cry:

JK

I know the feeling.
goathead

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Theme