What sort of things are good for gifting?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

What sort of things are good for gifting?

Postby TD-2441 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:27 am

I'm coming from the UK so my luggage space and weight is limited, however I'd like to bring some stuff along for gifting - what on earth should I bring? What is appreciated on the Playa? I'd like to bring something useful that will benefit your week living in a dustbowl, but I'm struggling....at the moment I'm just gonna bring loads of min-bags of Haribo jellies!!!!

Help give me some ideas, I need to be able to fit them in a suitcase too and not have them too bulky.....
Imperial Sandtrooper TD-2441, http://www.tk2441.co.uk
No longer a Burner Virgin - coming back Home in 2013 ;)
TD-2441

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 am

From what I gather...

Your hands helping to resecure a shade structure
Your stories
Cold beer.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby pizzamancer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:48 am

I am heading in from Japan, and have been wondering the same thing. Yesterday I stopped off at the liquor store and 'procured' a case of sample bottles of shochu, a kind of distilled sake.

I am wondering how much will be enough.
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:29 am

Whatever you have will be enough.

Shochu, huh? Yikes.

Keep the jellies out of direct sun ... I am assuming that's what we call gummies. They can melt if they get hot enough. Never leave them on the dashboard of a vehicle. Ooky!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby DragginLady » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:37 am

hmmm carrying a few extra bandanas on your person when out could really benefit some one who has none during a dust storm.

Last year just before that hella big duststorm at the start of critical tits, a bandana skittered past me on the playa..
I picked it up, and it was a Godsend; worst(or best) white out I have been in and that bandana saved me!!

As they say, The Playa Provides!!
DragginLady

Postby The CO » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:18 am

Go to the local hardware or safety supply store & get a couple 50 packs of dust masks. They are the greatest thing to hand out in the middle of a dust storm.

The single use toilet paper packs from MRE's are good as well.

The best general advice I can offer is give something useful rather than something cute but non-functional.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:22 am

DragginLady wrote:hmmm carrying a few extra bandanas on your person when out could really benefit some one who has none during a dust storm.

Last year just before that hella big duststorm at the start of critical tits, a bandana skittered past me on the playa..
I picked it up, and it was a Godsend; worst(or best) white out I have been in and that bandana saved me!!

As they say, The Playa Provides!!

Japanese handkerchiefs? I have a grundle of them from when I lived there, the good heavy cotton ones. Very useful.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby phil » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:22 am

Flying to the United States may be a problem if you are bringing liquids. If you check your liquids, no problem getting them through, but I would not expect to bring them in carry on luggage. See
http://del.icio.us/philip/liquidFree
for alternatives to liquids.

For first-timers, seriously I wouldn't worry about bringing gifts. Just show up and wander around taking in as much as you can. If people give you things, say thanks and accept the gift - no return gift is required or expected. If you want to give things out, I'd suggest considering
ear plugs
glow sticks (some object to them, but if you see a darkwad, give her a glow stick)
sealed chapstick
small containers of hand lotion
moistened towlettes in little foil packs
small bottles of hand sanitizer
tampons - you'd be shocked at how many people need tampons
more tampons - really
henna for playa tattoos
Pubic hair dye http://www.bettybeauty.com/ (stop by with dyed pubes and we'll take your picture)
Get your safe sex license http://www.stfree.com/ and offer free sex

See http://www.minimus.biz/ for all sorts of small stuff, but shipping is in the US - you'll get ideas though. Often US drugstores have 'travel-sized' containers of deodorant, lotion, and such that you can buy in Reno if you have time.

See
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/WW_Nexcare/FirstAidProducts/?WT.mc_id=www.nexcare.com
for other items you can give away that offer care and comfort on the playa - this stuff will be available in US drugstores.

If you're going to have time to shop in Reno, drop by Louise's pages at

http://civilizedexplorer.pbwiki.com/CivExReno
for places, locations, and hours of operation.

Again, though, let me say don't worry about it. As others have said, being there is your best gift. On your first Burn, be there for yourself first. You'll learn more that way and do it better next year.[/s]
phil

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:17 pm

Okay, I just want weird stuff from Japan and Britain. I just had a choirboy go on a trip to St. Petersburg and the Baltic States and he brought me back two Moomins, the kind that walk down planes. (I think.) Anyway, there is so much good unobtanium overseas, I'm sure. After Harry Potter saturation of the states, we might, for instance, understand badges saying "Prefect." Small and easily stashed, yet completely outside our experience.

Okay, I don't really expect you guys to track me down and hand me bags of cool japenese gumball machine toys (do the Japanese do gumball machine toys? If so I bet they are super-cool) and whatever the English equivelent is. And it's hard to buy stuff that doesn't show up much in the States, if your local cultural literacy for that is stunted. Really, your own sweet selves, with your passion and enthusiam, is plenty for us.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:03 pm

I don't recall gumballs in Japan, but there were 12 condom machines on the two mile walk to base from my house.

Want we want is weird 100 Yen Store crap. Or the odd stuff in the stationary stores. Erasers! Too bad there's no longer a plethora of sex shops in Japan, they had the best trinkets ever.

I love pins and badges of any kind.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby phil » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:36 pm

> I don't recall gumballs in Japan, but there were 12 condom
> machines on the two mile walk to base from my house.

It's that way outside every US base every where in the world!
phil

Postby TD-2441 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:48 pm

I'm bringing a pack of 200 glowsticks with me, plus connectors to make bracelents or necklaces :D Also a couple of bags of individual Haribo goodies, and a pack of 20 dust masks ;) Can easily make some stretchy neckwear that will pull up over your mouth/nose in the event of a dust storm too, then I think that will do!!

It seems a lot of the theme camps offer drinks and snow cones and goodies to eat, but if you go into one of these camps and get offered grub/drink, do you offer something back in exchange or is that just voluntary?
Imperial Sandtrooper TD-2441, http://www.tk2441.co.uk
No longer a Burner Virgin - coming back Home in 2013 ;)
TD-2441

Postby phil » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:54 pm

> is that just voluntary?

It's all voluntary. That's the definition of a drink. Accept it if you want, supply your own cup if possible (see that thread at viewtopic.php?t=25088 ) and be effusive with praise and thanks for the drink/food/STDs/whatever.
phil

Bar gifts.

Postby Marscrumbs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:05 pm

[quote="TD-2441"]I'm bringing a pack of 200 glowsticks with me, plus connectors to make bracelents or necklaces :D Also a couple of bags of individual Haribo goodies, and a pack of 20 dust masks ;) Can easily make some stretchy neckwear that will pull up over your mouth/nose in the event of a dust storm too, then I think that will do!!

It seems a lot of the theme camps offer drinks and snow cones and goodies to eat, but if you go into one of these camps and get offered grub/drink, do you offer something back in exchange or is that just voluntary?[/quote]

Alot of camp bars accept bags of ice or bottles of vodka, especially when the week wears on.
Marscrumbs

Postby Dork » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:05 pm

The thing about common gifting items is they're common. If you need any of those things there's already a thousand people out there with extras they'd be happy to give you. Consumables are a little different in that you can finish them on the spot and don't have some little thing to carry around.

Either bring something unique, personal, and convenient for the giftee to take with them or don't bring anything at all. If you treat gifts like currency they aren't gifts anymore, are they? Why not just hand out $1 bills?
Dork

Postby Boijoy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:05 pm

Blow Jobs are a good gift.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Dork wrote:The thing about common gifting items is they're common. If you need any of those things there's already a thousand people out there with extras they'd be happy to give you. Consumables are a little different in that you can finish them on the spot and don't have some little thing to carry around.

Either bring something unique, personal, and convenient for the giftee to take with them or don't bring anything at all. If you treat gifts like currency they aren't gifts anymore, are they? Why not just hand out $1 bills?

In 2003, there was a guy dressed like a banker with a briefcase of $2 bills with the Man stamped on them. He was handing them out. We chatted a bit, and he was handing the bills out all day for several days. Later we figured it out, he must have been handing out hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. I have mine somewhere.

These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:31 pm

Garbage bags, for all the stuff that other people "gift" and throw out.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby KestrelSF » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:03 pm

My first year, I ended up bringing lots more shit paper than I could possibly use for some reason. The last day there wasn't a single sheet to be found anywhere. As I stood in queue for the potty, people started eying my shit paper. Like it was gold. I started to stroke it and say 'my precious'. When I returned later with an armful of rolls I was insta-hero.
KestrelSF

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Postby Token » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:34 pm

Cuban cigars are always cherished.
Token

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:42 pm

I brought over 1000 glow sticks last year and handed them out and also gave out free drinks and beer at night...
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination
Funky Monkey Mech

glowsticks arent recycable

Postby st8ter68 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:03 pm

Try looking for EL wire, the last thing we need is bags and bags of used glowsticks
Tea Honey keeps your soul sweet
st8ter68

Burning Since: 2008

Re: glowsticks arent recycable

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:11 pm

st8ter68 wrote:Try looking for EL wire, the last thing we need is bags and bags of used glowsticks

El-wire isn't a practical gift, is it?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:15 pm

Okay, no gumball machines. But those 100 yen stores sound intriguing. I have to admit that the Japanese do small and cute very well. However, Pokemon and Hello Kitty have worn out their welcome with me.

But again, don't fuss about gifting your first time out. Wait until you've got your "Burning Man Legs."

Shit, I had to say that, didn't I?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:55 pm

crypto has a good point just relax and enjoy your first trip... if anything bring a gift everybody always loves BEER... lol

and yeah el-wire is great for personal use but as a gift just to expensive and not very practical.... for gifts that glow... LED, random blinkie things, or glowsticks are king...
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby AKAparttime » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:04 pm

Coming from the UK,(Walnut whips & Surburt fountons would be high
on my, list....
If from Japan adult size Hello Kitty woman's panty's
would make you a hit.....

~Parttime
AKAparttime

Re: What sort of things are good for gifting?

Postby ibdave » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:43 pm

TD-2441 wrote:
Help give me some ideas, I need to be able to fit them in a suitcase too and not have them too bulky.....

Eye contact and a Smile... I know, I know.... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:02 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Okay, no gumball machines. But those 100 yen stores sound intriguing. I have to admit that the Japanese do small and cute very well. However, Pokemon and Hello Kitty have worn out their welcome with me.

But again, don't fuss about gifting your first time out. Wait until you've got your "Burning Man Legs."

Shit, I had to say that, didn't I?

With knees, one hopes?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby phil » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:34 am

Y'know, these would be _great_ for the playa*

http://www.weheartstuff.co.uk/?p=349

They take up to 3 weeks to grow, so get them now if you're going to give them away on the playa.

*except for fishies, of course.
phil

Postby phil » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:50 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Pokemon and Hello Kitty have worn out their welcome with me.

Maybe this will bring back the welcome?

http://www.kittyhell.com/2008/07/21/hello-kitty-motorcycle-racing-leathers/
phil

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks