User Guidelines doc?

We're doing it wrong...we know

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:53 pm

precipitate wrote:fuck off

obscene! vulgar! i'm telling mom!!!!

Postby precipitate » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:26 pm

From another thread, in re my needs:

admin wrote:Baby, you just tell mama what they are...

She's on my side today. Better try again later.

ObTopic: What's the plan for community vetting of the guidelines and
terms of service? Discuss here? (I think I remember that as the plan,
just making sure.)
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby technopatra » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:36 am

precipitate wrote:ObTopic: What's the plan for community vetting of the guidelines and
terms of service? Discuss here? (I think I remember that as the plan,
just making sure.)

Per the announcement, you can keep discussing the Community Guidelines in the User Guidelines thread, and we will iterate in about a month. The TOS are not open to change based on community feedback.

And c'mon, I'm always on your side. I just don't always agree.
technopatra

Postby Lydia Love » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:05 pm

I have a question.

What will be considered vulgarity now that the TOS is up and running? Obscenity? Can you define it or will you know it when you see it?

I'm curious to know how often I cross over the line.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby III » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:17 am

i'm also waiting to see how the rule nazis will be dealt with.
III

Postby technopatra » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:37 am

Lydia Love wrote:I have a question.

What will be considered vulgarity now that the TOS is up and running? Obscenity? Can you define it or will you know it when you see it?

I'm curious to know how often I cross over the line.

Obsscenity/vulgarity is a charge - by which I mean that someone has to be offended and make a complaint before we would try to determine if something is obscene.

As with obscenity issues in real life, something "obscene" is defined as being without any redeeming social value. Whether that redeeming value exists or not is defined solely by the community it effects.

The only excepton being the case of clearly illegal posts, which could endanger our ability to continue operating these boards.

So the real question is: what do you consider obscene?
technopatra

the room for abuse

Postby Panther » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:25 am

I have a complaint against TechnoPatra's abuse of Eplaya's TOS and CG at this thread-

viewtopic.php?p=39440#39440

Panther
Panther

Postby III » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:26 pm

>>rule nazis

well, that didn't take long, now did it?
III

Postby III » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:27 pm

>>something "obscene" is defined as being without any redeeming social value.

i think it's a little bit more than that - it's got to be actually offensive. there are plenty of posts here that have no social value (or any value, really), but certainly don't count as obscene.
III

Postby technopatra » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:38 pm

III wrote:>>something "obscene" is defined as being without any redeeming social value.

i think it's a little bit more than that - it's got to be actually offensive. there are plenty of posts here that have no social value (or any value, really), but certainly don't count as obscene.

I repeat: " Obscenity/vulgarity is a charge - by which I mean that someone has to be offended and make a complaint before we would try to determine if something is obscene. "
technopatra

Re: the room for abuse

Postby technopatra » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:58 pm

Panther wrote:I have a complaint against TechnoPatra's abuse of Eplaya's TOS and CG at this thread-

Panther

You need to make a formal complaint to "eplaya@" bm.com. This will go to the other moderators, who will act according to the TOS & CG - obviously I can not investigate myself.

Panther, if you are seriously offended by this, rather than simply looking for yet another cheap shot against me and the staff of the Project in pursuit of your 2 year vendetta against the web team that predates your presence on the eplaya, then I will pull the post.
technopatra

Postby precipitate » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:13 am

I think egregious abuse of English grammar and spelling should count 50%
plus for the accused (if said abuse is perpetrated by accuser), and 50%
minus for the accuser (same). And vice versa. You do the math.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Re: the room for abuse

Postby Panther » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:31 am

technopatra wrote:
Panther wrote:I have a complaint against TechnoPatra's abuse of Eplaya's TOS and CG at this thread-

Panther

You need to make a formal complaint to "eplaya@" bm.com. This will go to the other moderators, who will act according to the TOS & CG - obviously I can not investigate myself.

Panther, if you are seriously offended by this, rather than simply looking for yet another cheap shot against me and the staff of the Project in pursuit of your 2 year vendetta against the web team that predates your presence on the eplaya, then I will pull the post.

Technopatra, you are violating the TOS again! Now you are attributing to me a "vendetta" against the web team when my posts have made no mention of the web team. Are you using your position as an Admin to look up my email address and therefore discern my identity? This is in violation of my privacy and the TOS.

You are embarrassing me by publicly stating within my eplaya community that I have a "vendetta" against someone. A vendetta means "a bitter, destructive feud". This isn't true! This is defamatory! This is embarrassing!

I can repeat my previous complaint- "Without real evidence to back up the truthfullness of all of your allegations, your post against this person is harmful, abusive, harassing, tortious (sic), defamatory, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, and hateful."

You are the pea under my mattress! I can't get a wink of sleep! I do intend to send a letter to the admin at burning man dot come but this is still in the works. Certainly, you should be much more carefull about what you choose to post. You should think before you post! There is no editing ability! Isn't this the whole point of having a CG and TOS?! How else are we going to shape up eplaya into a comfortable conformity? How ever else will we ever find our Home for Pollyanna Self-Expression?

If you out me because you think you recognize my writing style, and cast innuendo about my motives, you will be in violation of the Terms of Service and will be subject to immediate revocation of your account!

And by the way, saying that you are willing to "pull the post", whatever you vague language was supposed to mean, you are speaking of "deletion", which is its own topic of concern. If you are in violation of the TOS, your violating post should still remain to be part of the content, according to the TOS. It is your scarlett letter.

Panther :)
Panther

Previous

Return to ePlaya Feedback