tech––no!!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Oh Yeah...

Postby eirias » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:45 pm

OOPS how sould I forget the C.C.C.??? Now there's a blaring omission on my part.
The Consortium of Collective Consciousness, R.I.P., and their Howard street warehouse and the AMAZING parties. www.ccc.ae (?) I think that's their web site.
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds"
eirias

Postby III » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:12 am

whatever happened to the punk rock?
III

Postby technopatra » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:15 am

I dunno if the Peter who owns & runs the Ceiba store is the same guy. Certainly don't want to defame an innocent DJ.

You don't have to jump up on the soapbox with me - it just bugs me if folks think they are supporting a Burner business, when the owner's conduct was not only poor for a reg'lar human being, but downright abominable for a burner. He had an agreement then he tried to screw the Project out of free tickets, when we as a community had surely covered that cost with extra sales brought in by ticket-seekers. That sense of entitlement screws everyone who paid for their ticket - expecially those who are truly low income and work their asses off to scrounge enough to buy it in the first place - and spits right in the Burning Man ethos' eye.

And yelling at the ticket girls is much akin to using kittens for target practice - not cool in any universe at any time.

Perhaps he has a good karma side in the music world - producing or promoting djs or events something, but in this one, I still find him despicable, and wouldn't spend a dollar in his store if you gave it to me.

/soapbox
technopatra

Re: tech––no!!

Postby jennygreentooth » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:57 am

unjonharley wrote:it could be rumored the our wise staff will rule out tech––no in 2004. keep up the rumor. some of us still like "music".

why is it there always has to be someone in every "group experience" that has to complain about the very nature of that event, even though it is their own decision to be *part* of it.

its like the man who goes to heaven, and complains "why does there have to be angels here?"

Burning Man attracts *all types* gathering together to create a community built on creative freedom and imagination. the point isn't to insult those who share different taste than your own. It is to PARTICIPATE. there is so much variation in musical expression, just find what you like or *create* it.

The reason so many people play Psytrance and Goa, is because so many of the attendees love it. Listening/dancing to it while in "higher consciousness realms/ altered states" can be a sacred mystical experience. It probably would not make sense to anyone who only had heard it in everyday waking consciousness. that is why, i believe, it dominates the city.

that doesnt change the fact that *****Variety is the Spice of life********. i love all kinds of "electronic-a" ~~~ DnB/ jungle, breaks, trance, IDM, minimal techno, ambient, deep dark tribal house, glitch, digital hardcore, gabber, trip hop, illbient, dub, acid, ebm, progressive, synthpop, darkwave, new wave,...

but i also enjoy other kinds of music (ALL music is music)))): ~~~~ indie, rawk, classical, opera, hip hop, rap, r'n'b, acoustic, 60's psychedelia, experimental, old time country, gypsy songs, pop tunes, jazz, goth/ art fag stuff, dreamy moody pretty sound, apocalyptic folk, glam rock, old punk/ garage bands, world music, and whatever else i learn to appreciate/ understand. being receptive helps me understand more and more of our incredible universe (with a lot more joy!)

yeah, perhaps i'd prefer a little more of some sutff and less of others.. though usually i feel there is ALREADY so much, i cannot even hope to experience ~all~ the beauty that already IS. "bigger DJ names" means nothing at an event like this. it is the idea that *EVERYONE* has something personal and integral to offer that fuels our magickal city.

i hope this year there are no more limitations put on expression. if there are complaints, we can create community/ communication enhancing ways of working it out~~~ like the ones in Badgers suggestion.

:idea: one more thing, after this post that is much longer than i expected (sorry!!!!)=
if you're looking for an (easy to listen to) introduction to psyish-trance, JUNO REACTOR's album BIBLE OF DREAMS is one of the earliest and best gems. pretty much every track is amazing. my personal favorite is CONGA FURY, so download it on Kazaa or check out the album :wink: !!!!
jennygreentooth

#12329=bgdc9/53354214

Postby Panther » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:15 am

technopatra wrote:I dunno if the Peter who owns & runs the Ceiba store is the same guy. Certainly don't want to defame an innocent DJ.

You don't have to jump up on the soapbox with me - it just bugs me if folks think they are supporting a Burner business, when the owner's conduct was not only poor for a reg'lar human being, but downright abominable for a burner. He had an agreement then he tried to screw the Project out of free tickets, when we as a community had surely covered that cost with extra sales brought in by ticket-seekers. That sense of entitlement screws everyone who paid for their ticket - expecially those who are truly low income and work their asses off to scrounge enough to buy it in the first place - and spits right in the Burning Man ethos' eye.

And yelling at the ticket girls is much akin to using kittens for target practice - not cool in any universe at any time.

Perhaps he has a good karma side in the music world - producing or promoting djs or events something, but in this one, I still find him despicable, and wouldn't spend a dollar in his store if you gave it to me.

/soapbox

TechnoPatra, I've heard the exact opposite, about this person/Cieba store owner. I heard that he was promised "Comp" tickets in exchange for being a ticket-outlet by a person who is no longer with the BMan Organization. Burning Man Organization's incentive to make use of his audio store was to increase convenience and revenue for Burning Man ORG, otherwise, such outlets wouldn't be utilized. It is inticing to a person to lop a $200 BMAN 04 ticket purchase and a $200 dollar CD habit purchase together on one low-interest credit card. It's a point-of-sale decision. It would therefore make sense in my mind that the Owner (who can suggestive sell a Bman Ticket at POS) would be promised Comp tickets in lieu of cash because it keeps the cash in Burning Man Org's pocket while fulfilling Burning Man Org's needs to give people another way to purchase tickets.

TechnoPatra wrote
>>He had an agreement then tried to screw
>>the Project out of free tickets

Does BMORG have anything in writing that can be posted here as to what the agreement was? If you don't have any hard evidence that "He...tried to screw the Project out of free tickets", then what you are writing is hearsay. Without real evidence to back up the truthfullness of all of your allegations, your post against this person is harmful, abusive, harassing, tortious (sic), defamatory, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, and hateful. I am afraid that you are in violation of both the Eplaya Terms of Service and the Community Guidelines. The CG and TOS are available as links at the bottom of this page. Continued or extreme violations (by you) will result in account deactivation.

I'm afraid you are off topic for this thread with your soap box tirade against a defenseless non e-playa member. I am sorry that I have to respond here because this is the location of your choice of thread to post your opinion. Perhaps we can move this to another, more appropriate thead? Please do not respond here in this thread, as this will create thread drift. This is the thread about tech-no.

Panther :)
Panther

Postby Badger » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:01 am

...that is why, i believe, it dominates the city.

I think - and it's probably just me - that part of the reason that some people (including myself) rag on the tech music is that for the most part so much of it seems the same. Damn near indistinguishable from one camp to the next. I know that's a lame-o description and perhaps an unfair and biased observation on my part but on a deeper, gut level is my belief that cultural homogeneity - especially in the arts and literature - is something that a good number of us expect to be getting away from when we hit the playa. The reaction to it is probably more of a reflex than any real contempt or hatred of the music.

Maybe I shouldn't even be posting. I'm drunk and still buzzing from Phat Mandee's engagement at the Odeon this evening.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby III » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:32 pm

>>it dominates the city.

i'm pretty sure it dominates the city because the people playing it tend to be the only ones insensitive enough, compared to other musical styles, to inflict their choice on everyone else whether they like it or not.

the claim of popularity is immediatly proven false by the large number of such camps which have no participants in them, despiute the overwhelming volume.

and this is where the complainst come from - it's the complete lack of respect for others...
III

Postby III » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:33 pm

>>complainst

i meant complaints.
III

Postby technopatra » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:03 pm

Panther, I am confused. Are you debating this topic of the CEiba owner with me, or are you charging me with eplaya misconduct? Both cannot coexist, as to follow one path would be to strike down the other.

Formal complaints should be made to "eplaya@" burnignman <<dot>> com.

If you want more information, I can tell you all I know, but by your defintion this would be hearsay, which, if you choose to protest, coudl be declared against the rules.

Please pick a course of action and tell me which you want to continue with. Either one's ok with me.
technopatra

Postby III » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:20 pm

>>despiute

i meant despite.
III

redirect

Postby Panther » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:06 am

REDIRECT

technopatra wrote:Panther, I am confused. Are you debating this topic of the CEiba owner with me, or are you charging me with eplaya misconduct? ...Please pick a course of action and tell me which you want to continue with. Either one's ok with me.

Technopatra,
My complaint is a few messages back. Technopatra's alleged misconduct is two messages earlier.
viewtopic.php?p=39440#39440
ePlaya Forum Index -> Burning Man 2003 -> Rumors & Lies -> tech––no!!

I'm charging Technopatra with eplaya misconduct. But I am redirecting the dialogue regarding this dispute to the User Feedback Area, specifically-

viewtopic.php?p=39461#39461
ePlaya Forum Index -> ePlaya Feedback -> Policies & Our Community -> User Guidelines doc?

I will respond to Technopatra's message at this destination inside ePlaya Feedback at some future time. Effectively, all interest in this idea that Technopatra has violated the Eplaya rules should be taking place at the thead-

viewtopic.php?p=39461#39461
ePlaya Forum Index -> ePlaya Feedback -> Policies & Our Community -> User Guidelines doc?

Panther :)
Panther

Postby III » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:13 am

>>prententious pud.

careful. now he's going to accuse *you* of violating the u.g.
III

Postby Isotopia » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:14 am

I'm charging Technopatra with eplaya misconduct.

What a prententious pud.

If you've got an issue why not take it up via PM rather than trying to pull off your rather lame, Zola-esque "J’Accuse' spiel.
Isotopia

Postby Isotopia » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:15 am

BTW, Trey's post slipped in while I was editing....
Isotopia

Postby ramen » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:13 pm

III wrote:>>it dominates the city.

i'm pretty sure it dominates the city because the people playing it tend to be the only ones insensitive enough, compared to other musical styles, to inflict their choice on everyone else whether they like it or not.

Amen to that. I like electronica too. What gets to me is the heavy overriding bass thumps. It's all you can hear of the music from hundreds of yards away. As the week precedes, the music continues to devolve and expand across the city's sonic-scape until B-Day.

Should I show up in the magic city this year, I'm bringing some Bose anti-noise headphones and a sleeping chamber covered with sound-deadening panels.

THUMPA-THUMP-THUMPA-THUMP....repeat ad nauseum
Short Attention Span Theatre
ramen

Postby eirias » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:24 am

In regard to Ceiba, they are one of my favorite labels and I express zero intent to defame or make claims that I cannot support. I am a neutral party in regard to the aforementioned matter.
As far as techno is concerned, Badger thoroughly satiated my inquiries about law enforcment and sonic regulations, so I suppose that there is not much more for me to say on the topic. Personally I find that the theta brainwave stimulation of overlapping techno camps, surrounding me in the distance while I drift off to sleep on the playa is both soothing and conductive to dreaming.
As I said before, techno and Burning Man, while mutaully exclusive, are intrinsic to one another for my personal playa experience. I agree that there are abuses taking place, and that those wishing to play above a said decibel level shoud situate their camps on the edges (10:00 & 2:00) of Black Rock City. Ultimately it remains to be seen how the new enforcement initiatives will play out in 2004.
Oh, as it has been stated before "it's not BOOM BOOM BOOM, but rather OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ" 8)
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds"
eirias

Re: .........

Postby thehunt » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:52 am

eirias wrote:I Personally I find that the theta brainwave stimulation of overlapping techno camps, surrounding me in the distance while I drift off to sleep on the playa is both soothing and conductive to dreaming.
As I said before, techno and Burning Man, while mutaully exclusive, are intrinsic to one another for my personal playa experience. I agree that there are abuses taking place...

Sleeping at Burning Man is awesome. My first year, I thought that I would need earplugs--and sometimes they help--but found myself being able to fall asleep out there whenever I really want to. The techno-soundscape that is heard at the late hours of the night is amazing.

I also think that techno and all electronic music is important to many burners, and for those who don't think it is, go out late one night to a dance camp, and then see how many people look like they are having a bad time.

Dance camps must stay! ALL STYLES OF MUSIC SHOULD STILL BE ACCEPTED AT BURNING MAN!! Please don't try to limit the creativity that the listeners and the artists(incl. musicians) are putting forth.
The Hunt \<>/ Eric Huntington - DJ, Producer, Abstract Artist - picassocamp.org/gallery
My Group: Enlightenmen
email: thehunt@live.com
thehunt

Postby unjonharley » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:04 am

Hey Eric, No one is trying to cut out any ones music. Techno as it is used on the playa is a drag. Seem teckno has to be louder than any other music. It appears to have to be playing in a camp even when the camp is unattended so loud that no one else can enjoy there music. What could happen this year. If you go off for a night an leave your teckno blaring. You may come back to having to pick up your stuff at a ranger station. Or I may pay some drunk to step on your machine.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby stuart » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:24 pm

unjon, there is no commerce at burning man
stuart

Postby unjonharley » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:57 pm

stuart wrote:unjon, there is no commerce at burning man

/
Laughed so hard I had chest pains
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Previous