FUNDRAISERS

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:27 pm

And so it begins...

viewtopic.php?t=24800

Bleah. Am I watching late night ads??

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:51 am

capjbadger wrote:And so it begins...

viewtopic.php?t=24800

Bleah. Am I watching late night ads??

Badger

Now that a precedent has been set I expect we will get more commerce. I wonder how much longer till we get rid of the principles and just become one big rave with ppl trying to get cash every chance they get.
Toolmaker

Postby gyre » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 am

Even if that happened, it is still up to all of us to decide if we support a group or not.
gyre

Commerce and Commodification

Postby notthatdave » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:53 am

What do you guys have against commerce, anyway? There's nothing in the Burning Man ethos against Commerce... We spend shitloads of money to get to the playa so we can stop shopping once we get out there. It's commodification we're against, you know, reducing an experience to a transaction. But without commerce, society would actually cease to exist.

Read Larry here:
http://www.burningman.com/media/doc/wha ... ter_06.pdf

I think the question here, again, is where eplaya falls on the commerce continuum. On the actual playa, we don't allow any commerce whatsoever (except coffee and ice). At the gate, however, we sell tickets. In Reno, we have an annual orgy of commercial consumption. Before we get to Reno, we have fundraisers and happy hours and decoms and lots of other events that involve some level of commerce.

But commerce isn't evil. We need commerce to survive. It's commodification we're against. The principle reads:

Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.

So, is eplaya one of those social environments that has no transactions whatsoever? Or is it a forum for helping folks get themselves and their art to the playa (like our regional lists). If that's what it's here for, then why not allow fundraisers? Why allow us to recommend products (and make money for other people!) without allowing people to try to, in burner-like ways, raise some cash to get more art to the playa?

ntd,
---------------
not that dave
new york city regional committee
notthatdave

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:06 am

A thought ... what if we move all fundraisers to the Events and regionals forum?

Ah, segregation.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby mojo » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:43 am

AntiM wrote:A thought ... what if we move all fundraisers to the Events and regionals forum?

Ah, segregation.

I think that's a great compromise, allowing the camps to fundraise without having unwanted ads in our faces on the other threads.
mojo

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:14 pm

mojo wrote:
AntiM wrote:A thought ... what if we move all fundraisers to the Events and regionals forum?

Ah, segregation.

I think that's a great compromise, allowing the camps to fundraise without having unwanted ads in our faces on the other threads.

Why should our community compromise? The eplaya has a TOS and Community Guidelines for a reason. Someone somewhere spent alot of time drafting it to discourage commerce (specifically including sweepstakes) because this is e-playa, not e-defaultia. Alot of us happen to like the 10 principles our community is founded upon. If those principles were to be abandoned further for the sake of compromise do you really think Burningman will get better? Think about it.. Its bad enough they sell ice and coffee to draw less than radically self reliant folks. If folks don't like the principles there are plenty of other parties to goto.

First e-playa

Than the playa

Than the regionals
Toolmaker

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:28 pm

Part One:

We are a fluid, changing community, and stomping on the commerce people ... it's wearing. Very wearing. Because you tell camps you know that the one reliable venue that reaches a lot of burners won't let them try to raise funds to bring wonderful things to the playa ... you begin to wonder, what's more valuable? The ten principles or the burners behind the event? You try being the No Commerce Asshole for a year. It totally sucks asswater. It isn't who I want to be, and I promise, it isn't who you'd want to be in the long run either.

I reread the ten principles as posted on the Main Site. Huh. No where does it say No Commerce. The survival guide instructs us not to buy or sell or barter at the event. We can choose not to buy ice or coffee, to avoid Center Camp. Center Camp hasn't let in vendors, our precious ideals are safe.

Sorry, the eplaya ain't the event by a long shot or we'd be a hell of a lot nicer to the newbs and the clueless.

Gifting
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.

Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.

COMMERCIAL advertising and transactions ... which fundraisers are not, they're private, interactive events. Sure theme camps are gifts, but they cost someone a buttload of money and what is so wrong about offering a creative way for interested people to help fund a camp? That's not corporate sponsorship, that's self-reliance on the part of the camps, finding a way to make money to create the camp. I can see it both ways.

I feel as though I am discussing scripture; purity of the event, purity of eplaya. This leaves a very, very bad taste in my mouth. I like the ten principles, I hate dogma.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:36 pm

Part Two: Guidelines:

Philosophy

* The ePlaya exists to support the Burning Man community.

vs.

Expected Behavior
* The ePlaya is a no-commerce zone. Recommending a good deal you found is acceptable, gifting is always encouraged. Advertising items or services for sale or trade will not be tolerated.

Which means the carport covers and the dome for sale were deleted. No question, simple. However, this would exclude the rideshares and the shipping containers. These are extremely useful resources and the eplaya reaches a lot of newbs and vets looking for answers. To me, the question then becomes, which do I value more, the 10 principles or getting the burners to the playa. Same with theme camp or art installation posts.

I tend to fall toward helping burners get their camps, gears and asses to the playa. Yes, I am "soft" on transportation services and fundraisers. I will be until I am asked not to be. Then I'll nominate others to take on the role of enforcer. Ugly, ugly task.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:50 pm

Part Three:

engages in commercial activities and/or sales such as contests, sweepstakes, barter, advertising, and pyramid schemes;

This is from the Terms of Service. As applied to fundraisers though, parties which raise money are advertised on the JRS, not everyone can throw a big enough party if they aren't in a burner-centric location. So they fall back on to what works on an electronic medium: raffles. The difference, as I see it is they're a theme camp with the intent of raising money to bring an experience to other burners on the playa vs. Publisher's ClearingHouse who is looking to line their pockets.

Should I have to decide? No, but I do. An entity such as PCH has never tried to post on the playa to my knowledge. But burners do try to reach other burners here. I see value in that.

I suppose I am trying to say I'm doing my best to enforce the guidelines, principles and terms, but I also think the spirit of the eplaya is at stake. No, the door shouldn't be wide open, but neither should it be slammed so tightly that the eplaya is hindering burners. The spirit of the thing, not the letter of the law. Obviously, I am less rigorous in my devotions than others.

Oh, BTW, there are three fundraisers posted right now. A party, a raffle for a vibrator, and a raffle for a couch on the playa. Shock shock shock, We're all going to be Mal-Wart Slaves by the end of the year. Spank my ass and make me buy iced coffee at Center Camp. (Sorry, my snark injector went into overdrive for a moment.)
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Oh whoops. This is a serious thread. :D

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:25 pm

Yeah, that's right, blame it on the cats.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:34 pm

AntiM wrote:(Sorry, my snark injector went into overdrive for a moment.)
I'm waiting for a snark injector raffle.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:06 am

can i interest you in a FREE coffee? All you have to do is watch this short, informative video about the wonderful opportunities that are available from TimeShare on the Playa.

there is NO obligation, and no salesperson will call.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Lassen Forge » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:50 am

And if you are one of the first 9.37 people to reserve YOUR place, we will throw in as an added extra bonus item:

- - - Genuine Imitation xxxs Tyvek Snakeskin Coveralls...

- - - The world-infamous Meat-o-Matic - It bends, it blends, it takes off fingers...

- - - A genuine used gift certificate from the Spiegel Catalog....

and...

and...

(wait for it)

- - - THE GINSU MACHINE GUN!!!

BUT WAIT! BUT WAIT!!

Order NOW, and we'll throw in Boxcar Willie's Cyanide Plant Train Songs.

(Supplies are limited, call NOW Operators are standing by!)
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Box Burner » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:47 am

OK I looked at the fundraisers.

Synner's Paradyse - clearly does not belong. The event features "talent" :roll: that is being paid. Sounds like a rave with a promoter who is going to make some proffit.

Smoochdome - Tastefully done. Although the wording could be a little better. At first glance it looks like they are selling a service to be delivered to the playa. It does become clear once you click on their link though.

Orgasmateria's $5 Hitachi Magic Wand Raffle! - Much too blatent and offensive. Should be done like the Smoochdome fundraiser. A simple statement that you are having a fundraiser and here is the link.

-----------

Now what I want to know is at what point does it cease to be a gift? After all, if the members of the BM community fund your gift you aren't really giving it are you? I realize that that is a grey area. but there are other place that this can be done. So keeping it to a simple post like the one that smoochdome did is an acceptable compramise.

have to say that I agree with BBsue on this issue.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby AntiM » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:34 am

Synner's Paradise was posted later, I've just had the chance to look at it. Yeah, raising money for more equipment for bigger parties is not the same as raising money for a theme camp on playa. I wonder if I'll get a response to the PM, most of the time these folks post and run.

I was referring to the Golden Cafe fundraiser. Excellent daytime bar camp with live music and wonderful atmosphere.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:08 am

I did get a response and Synz acknowledges it wasn't posted properly as an obvious fundraiser for a specific camp. The original post is down.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Box Burner » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:52 am

didn't see the one for the Golden Cafe. I know who they are though, I stopped in there during the big dust storm last year. It is a really nice Bar and the live band was fun. the place was packed and I do not think it was just because of the dust storm. :)
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby AntiM » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:52 pm

Golden Cafe has always been within walking distance of our camp; Lucifer is a great guy who makes sure the place is well run and friendly. I always try to donate some booze or mixers. I've done a few stints as dishwasher too.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

thanks

Postby veleda » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:18 pm

Hey AuntiM.

The last few weeks have been enlightening about eplaya.

I actually wasn't aware there were any policies at all on this subject!

Now I'm getting edumecated.
veleda

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:14 am

Yes, we strive for no commerce here, and case by case, there are theme camps and such which skirt the line. Direct sales and rentals will get the boot. Fundraisers should not be obnoxious. Every now and then I get one where I have to ask the other mods, "Am I crazy for letting this stay up/pulling this one?"

Yes, it is quasi-okay to post camp dues, but a link is more discreet and elegant.

Commerce makes Burning Man happen, the ideal is for such commerce to happen off the playa, off the eplaya, to make the illusion of gift economy seamless.

Sounds hypocritical, but I'm just trying to be realistic.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Thu May 12, 2011 4:57 pm

These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Previous

Return to Policy Discussion