Fuck Flag Burning! Let's argue about "assault" rif

Postby ZaphodBurner » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Relative called from Basra, Iraq, said Iraqis pitched in to celebrate the 4th of July. He said they must have fired 50,000 rounds into the air.
(ie, it lasted a couple of minutes.)

At that point, he went inside.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Last holiday, someone shot out a cable junction near my friend's house shutting it off for most of the city.
No connection to me, of course.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:49 am

ZaphodBurner wrote:Relative called from Basra, Iraq, said Iraqis pitched in to celebrate the 4th of July. He said they must have fired 50,000 rounds into the air.
(ie, it lasted a couple of minutes.)

At that point, he went inside.

-c

Safe and sane fireworks, I guess those are banned out there too.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Toolmaker » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:00 pm

**burn** wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:Just got the fusion package in for my SKS. I really dig the picatinny rails on the bottom AND sides. Got a bright light on one side and put a laser on the other, my harris bipod it mounted below. I put my old holosight on top and will be trying it out this afternoon.

Sounds like all you need is a pistol grip and night vision! Do you use the EoTech sight? Have you tried the (not holosight) Leupold Prismatic? You have a reticle without the need for a battery, but turn on the battery and you get an illuminated reticle. I like it better than their CQT when I don't need the 1-3 power.

Toolmaker wrote: haven't decided on whether to change out the AKs.. I kinda dig the wood furniture. My Ar-10 is staying the way I got it since Armalite did a bang up job right from the get go.

I love ArmaLite. They don't get enough credit with the AR. I got the AR10 in olive drab. I also picked up their AR180B. They are very picky about their mags, tho. Never buy more than a couple of mags at a time before testing their lips at the range.

Have fun!

The FUSION stock has a pistolgrip and a rear similar to the CAR-15 where you have the button on top to adjust length. As far as the bushnell holosight goes I have one of the ancient ones and should get it replaced. I wish I could afford to upgrade to the newer tech but that won't happen any time soon. The stock I got is available for ARs and AKs as well.. all with 3 picatinnys up front and one in the back. I mounted my vari-x scope (also ancient) and found that it sits better on the rail. Previously I had a reciever cover scope mount that was weaver.. was always gettin loose on me and generally not as dandy.

As far as mags go I still only have steel ones, most of the time I gotta fuck with the lips but usually just small tweaks. Been debating whether or not to try the polymer ones but havent got around to it. I guess I should prolly get some more before the Dems get in and do another magazine ban.

Anyone have any thoughts or exp with poly mags?
Toolmaker

Postby **burn** » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:06 pm

For AR mags I only use the green followers.
Risky

The Booby Bar in
http://terminalvillage.com
**burn**

Postby TomServo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:50 pm

Has anyone tried out the 75 round drum magazines, for AK? Im not planning on buying one, and sneaking it into California..I'm just curious as to how they perform on Semi Auto AK's.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:23 am

TomServo wrote:Has anyone tried out the 75 round drum magazines, for AK? Im not planning on buying one, and sneaking it into California..I'm just curious as to how they perform on Semi Auto AK's.

The Romanian one I have works good.. you can keep rounds in without having the spring get worn. You wind it up after loading the rounds. I don't know about the Chinese ones being sold nowadays.. I try to avoid the Chinese stuff.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIjfN0XGcW4[/youtube]
Toolmaker

Postby TomServo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:49 am

Try to avoid chinese and maadi

Romanian sounds good..used to have a WUM-1

sold it to pay rent, and three weeks later, assault weapons bill was announced in California..wound up paying three times what I should on a Hungarian SA-85M.

TomServo

Thanks!!!!

Postby lokione » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:16 am

I love my little black death machines! Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one at BM. Killing muppets.....good times, perfectly normal, perfectly healthy.
FNs
ARs
Aks
lokione

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:33 am

If anyone wants to play with black powder cannon, we found some fifteen foot 2 inch tubing that would be perfect.
Two diameters available.
Very cheap.
gyre

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:36 pm

gyre wrote:If anyone wants to play with black powder cannon, we found some fifteen foot 2 inch tubing that would be perfect.
Two diameters available.
Very cheap.

I have a whole bunch of FFFg and FFFFg black powder. (It lets you underestimate it exactly once.) I suppose there are restrictions against that on the playa, too.

As for magazine springs, the best way to keep them feeding properly is to use the Marine Corps practice of loading capacity - 2. So, on a 30-round magazine, only load 27 or 28 rounds. That keeps it from overcompressing and fatiguing.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Postby gyre » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:44 am

What's a bunch?
2 inches is the wall thickness.
The big ones use a lot of powder per shot.

The pressure curve is pretty safe with black powder.

The bigger tube would be about 4 and a half inches diameter.

We can use any powder we can get.
gyre

Postby ZaphodBurner » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:33 pm

gyre wrote:What's a bunch?
2 inches is the wall thickness.
The big ones use a lot of powder per shot.

The pressure curve is pretty safe with black powder.

The bigger tube would be about 4 and a half inches diameter.

We can use any powder we can get.

I probably have at least two or three pounds. Any more than 5 I think requires a powder magazine, so I did the safe/legal thing and blew a bunch of it the fuck up.

The 12-lb Napoleon cannons used in the 19th century through the civil war shot up to two pounds per load, but these days artillery reenactors types use a half pound for safety. I think they use FFg. (Triple-f for rifles, quadruple-f for pistols. I'm a black powder geek. It tastes like salt.)

I'd be more than happy to contribute some for the cause. Let me know...

-c
ZaphodBurner

Postby gyre » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:59 pm

We use more than a pound per shot.
We could definitely use it.
I think you can have up to 25 pounds for celebratory purposes.

It's always a good idea to be safe with it.
We separate batches to minimize hazards.
gyre

Postby ZaphodBurner » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:13 pm

Rock and/or roll! Adding powder to the packing list. . Where are you guys going to be?

("At the black powder cannon. Duh.")
ZaphodBurner

Postby Mosin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:16 am

My "assault weapon" :shock: of choice is the Yugoslavian SKS 59/66. Stock up on an arsenal of them now while they're still cheap and legal. Comes with bonus grenade launcher and... free cosmoline!!

If ya couldn't guess, my favorite anti-fascist/constitutional defense tool is the humble bolt action Mosin-Nagant M-44 (and/or 91/30) in 7.62x54r... rearsenaled after WWII in the Soviet Union, packed in cosmo, and now available from your local Big-5 for ~$75. Get a 440rd can of the Bulgrian HB for about the same price and you have seriously armed yourself for under $150... with a genuine piece of WWII history no less.

Help keep the American Dream alive: stockpile Combloc surplus!! :wink:

XO

Mosin
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Postby ygmir » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:52 am

Some, myself included, would argue that what stands between freedom (or the poor excuse we have for it) and tyranny, is a well armed populace.........

the two rules for dictators:
1 Don't piss off the masses
2 if you're going to piss them off, dis-arm them first..............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Guns on federal land

Postby gyre » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:53 am

New rule eases ban on firearms in national parks

By MATTHEW DALY, Associated Press Writer Matthew Daly, Associated Press Writer – Fri Dec 5, 4:33 pm ET

WASHINGTON – People will now be able to carry concealed firearms in some national parks and wildlife refuges.

An Interior Department rule issued Friday allows an individual to carry a loaded weapon in a park or wildlife refuge — but only if the person has a permit for a concealed weapon, and if the state where the park or refuge is located also allows loaded firearms in parks.

The rule overturns a Reagan-era regulation that has restricted loaded guns in parks and wildlife refuges. The previous regulations required that firearms be unloaded and placed somewhere that is not easily accessible, such as in a car trunk.

Assistant Interior Secretary Lyle Laverty said the new rule respects a long tradition of states and the federal government working together on natural resource issues.

The regulation allows individuals to carry concealed firearms in federal parks and wildlife refuges to the same extent they can lawfully do so under state law, Laverty said, adding that the approach is in line with rules adopted by the federal Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service. Those agencies let visitors carry weapons consistent with applicable federal and state laws.

The National Rifle Association hailed the rule change, which will take effect next month before President-elect Barack Obama takes office.

"We are pleased that the Interior Department recognizes the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families while enjoying America's national parks and wildlife refuges," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist.

The rule will restore the rights of law-abiding gun owners on federal lands and make federal law consistent with the state where the lands are located, Cox said. The NRA led efforts to change gun regulations they called inconsistent and unclear.

A group representing park rangers, retirees and conservation organizations said the rule change will lead to confusion for visitors, rangers and other law enforcement agencies.

"Once again, political leaders in the Bush administration have ignored the preferences of the American public by succumbing to political pressure, in this case generated by the National Rifle Association," said Bill Wade, president of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees.

"This regulation will put visitors, employees and precious resources of the National Park System at risk. We will do everything possible to overturn it and return to a commonsense approach to guns in national parks that has been working for decades," Wade said.

The park rule will be published in the Federal Register next week and take effect 30 days later, well before Obama takes office Jan. 20. Overturning the rule could take months or even years, since it would require the new administration to restart the lengthy rule-making process.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20081 ... 2wkfqs0NUE
gyre

Postby jkisha » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:26 am

The only problem with guns and gun laws are stupid people and 'non-law-abiding' people.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby TomServo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:26 pm

AGM MP007 MP-40 fun little gun. Is an airsoft but tears the shit out of beer cans. Have figured the rate of fire to about 700rpm. Thought it would be a cheap toy that would break down after 2 shots, but was surprised! LOVE IT!! ..Is also about the same weight as the original.. Is sold at Big5 for about $135 (the liscenced schmeisser version..not AGM). would upgrade the battery though..no probs with mine, but hear they wear out fast.

TomServo

Postby **burn** » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:28 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf5l4SeTTbE[/youtube]
Risky

The Booby Bar in
**burn**

Postby fciron » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:00 pm

I am basically a pretty liberal, left-wing kind of guy. I also enjoy hunting and shooting targets. I try very hard to take a balanced view of gun control/rights issues. I like shooting guns, including some of the more controversial models. I also have concerns about the easy availability of guns and some of the irresponsible bullshit that I see around me.

Here is a story about two people in Louisville (where I live) with concealed carry permits who wound up shooting at each other in a mall parking lot over a traffic dispute. I know people who have engaged in similarly idiotic behavior although it didn't lead to shots being fired.

I also know a woman who was raped when she came home and interrupted the burglar who had already found her husband's gun in the bedroom. The policeman taking the report asked her husband why he had the gun in the nightstand and he answered 'For protection'. The police officer told him to get a dog. In addition to the harm to that family another gun was put into the hands of a criminal.

I'm not worried about the 'hard-core gun-nuts', you guys keep your guns locked up and you know how to hit your targets. It's the dumb ass who is gonna try and solve the situation by waving a gun around and getting it taken or who is going to start firing in a crowded subway car that scares me.

I am not sure how to determine who is and is not gonna be responsible with their guns. It's a tricky issue and it also hits a lot of people in emotional areas. Assault rifle bans are a product of anti-crime hysteria, but home-defense arguments are based on the same fear. I see a lot of this stuff cutting both ways, when most of the guns used in crimes are probably the cheapest thing that will still fire it is pointless to ban expensive ARs. Of course, many of the guns used in crime circulate in the underground economy, making regulation all the more difficult.

I know several people who have had guns stolen, but only one who has used a gun to stop a crime. For me personally, the math is not coming down in favor of an armed populace being safer.

I would suggest that if you want to preserve your gun rights that you work with the people on the other side to find a reasonable way to manage things. The refusal of the gun-rights community to even talk about restrictions leads to ineffective legislation. You are the people who know the most about these issues, so you would be the ones best able to manage them. By taking an extreme stand against any restrictions the gun-rights community has pretty much ensured that all gun control legislation will be written by the other side.

Point two from me, I do not buy the 'gun control leads to fascism' argument. For one thing, most of Western Europe requires registrations of all firearms and they seem to be doing alright. A lot of the countries named as examples did not have guns in civilian hands before the dictatorship, so gun control was not a factor in the rise of that dictatorship. I think the rise of a dictatorship relies far more on a complacent population than a lack of arms. In the US there are a lot of people who are so caught up in their gun rights that our democracy could be dismantled under their noses as long as it didn't involve gun control. (Patriot Act and consolidation of power in the Executive anyone?)

Just a couple of thoughts for folks to consider from a liberal with a gun. :)
fciron

Postby Thecatman » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:17 pm

For a hand gun I would'nt mind getting "The Judge." Shoots either 410 shotgun or 45 ca. A workmate got one and says the 45 kicks harder then the 410.
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby **burn** » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:37 pm

They have different barrel lengths available.
The 6" won't kick as bad.
Risky

The Booby Bar in
**burn**

Postby Thecatman » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:58 pm

I'll keep that in mind if I can ever afford one. The grip is made of some kind of rubber to help cushion the kick. I gonna go on line and find the video of the 410 being used on a carjacker being played by a mannequin.
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby **burn** » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Also, catman, I think that the caliber is 45 colt and not acp.
The grips are rubber ribs - Ribber Grips.
Risky

The Booby Bar in
**burn**

Postby littleflower » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:24 pm

fciron wrote:I know several people who have had guns stolen, but only one who has used a gun to stop a crime. For me personally, the math is not coming down in favor of an armed populace being safer...

most of Western Europe requires registrations of all firearms and they seem to be doing alright. A lot of the countries named as examples did not have guns in civilian hands before the dictatorship...

very interesting post, fc. i am on the other side ... rather conservative, and i hate guns! but i am glad that i know responsible people who have them.

i'm pretty fuzzy on the law, but aren't guns supposed to be registered in the US? i've often heard that the gun control problem was more in lack of enforcement than lack of laws.

as for countries being armed, i don't know how many people know that switzerland is a militia ... every man in the country has a gun, provided by the government, and has been trained to use it.... mandatory training, i believe. i do not think it's a coincidence that they were allowed to stay neutral during WWII. nobody wants to tangle with them.

just a few thoughts...
littleflower

Postby jkisha » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:39 pm

Maybe everybody should have to take a course to own a gun, get married or have children. Most people aren't qualified for any of those things.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby **burn** » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:42 pm

LF -

Gun registration falls to the States. (For instance, in Nevada there is no required registration. California and Hawaii are mandatory registration.) The only time registration is required on a federal level is when a Federal Firearms Licensee (gun shop) disposes of two hanguns within five business days. Then it is mandatory.

A really great read about Switzerland and their Citizen Militia is:
http://www.amazon.com/Place-Concorde-Su ... roduct_top
Signs were posted on their borders directing their Citizens that Hitler was coming; Use their guns until they ran out of ammo; use rocks; use their hands; but do not retreat. Switzerland was the only country in Europe not overtaken by Hitler. (Conspiracy theories are abundant, of course.)
Risky

The Booby Bar in
**burn**

Postby gyre » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:07 pm

Fc,
What country are you in that has no restrictions?
The usa is far too restrictive now.

As for self defense, you either live in a very safe area or are deceiving yourself.
I am sure you know many people that are alive due to weapons versus waiting thirty minutes to an hour and a half for the police to show up.

I have actively used a weapon to protect myself six or seven times.
I only pointed it at someone twice and had it at the ready a few others.
The most successful times are when the access to a gun alone is enough.
I can't begin to estimate the number of crimes and threats that have been avoided by the awareness of criminals that I am able to defend myself.

I know it is a factor because they have told me.
They have utter contempt for anyone foolish enough to offer themselves as prey.
They cannot grasp why anyone would.
Criminals are as baffled by anyone that won't defend themselves and their family as I am.
But they are grateful.
And they are very disturbed by the number of permits here and the difficulty they have spotting those who are prepared now.

The person I have been training with, broke down in a high risk area.
As he was walking along distracted he was approached for change.
While he was looking for change he caught the glint of a knife as the "bum" moved to stab him.
In one motion, he had the gun pointed at the other guy before he could move.
He still had one hand out for change, as a deception.
My friend would not normally have been so caught off guard, but for the breakdown.
The training allowed him to react in time, but just barely.
He held the guy at gunpoint and made him take the change.
He only had about three dollars as it was.
The hookers in the area were laughing and said he was a professional robber there.

You know him and many other people that are alive because they were able to protect themselves.
It's very basic.

The types of crimes occurring here has already shifted radically as people from every walk of life have begun carrying everywhere.
We still have a lot of criminals, but they are much more courteous.
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Theme