what is the meaning of it?

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

yea right...

Postby Digital-Dragonfly » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:23 am

dj jmotion wrote:
...we've gotten several offers from camps when we get there...

your lips are moving... :roll:
"and your pleasure will likely exceed your misery.".... Ugly Dougly
Digital-Dragonfly

Postby Ron » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:33 am

I don't get the notion that it's insulting to see someone ask for free tickets. Why is it insulting?

I don't feel insulted when I see a beggar asking for cash on the sidewalk. What's so insulting about someone asking for a freebie? Just say, no. ;)

Ron
Ron

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:48 am

Let's all chip in, buy him a ticket, and point him out to the LEOs as having mind melting candy by the half-sheet. Everybody's happy like that.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby RegRad » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:58 am

Problem - DJ and friends choose career that pays nill. They can't get into the coolest, most super awesome party of the whole year...

Solution - DJ posts web bulletin asking for $1200+ worth of tickets....

I'm sure someone out there will jump right on this to get all you guys in...But it won't be me! Keep Posting! Keep Trying! :roll:
-End Communication
RegRad

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:34 am

They are offering to do something.
The org does have some paid positions on playa, though probably not for djs.
gyre

Postby capjbadger » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:16 pm

Ron wrote:I don't get the notion that it's insulting to see someone ask for free tickets. Why is it insulting?

I don't feel insulted when I see a beggar asking for cash on the sidewalk. What's so insulting about someone asking for a freebie? Just say, no. ;)

Ron

I'm not sure "insulting" is quite the right word. I think what he was trying to say is that it's irritating to see people try to take advantage of the system when the rest of us work hard to get what we have. It's the old "Grasshopper and the Ant" tale.

It's one thing to ask for help for necessities that you can't provide for yourself. It's another altogether to ask for luxuries when you are able to do it yourself but didn't do what was needed to get it.

In a nutshell: People hate leaches.

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Sensei » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:24 pm

capjbadger wrote:It's the old "Grasshopper and the Ant" tale.

I've always liked the Woody Allen version of the ending:

... but when winter came the grasshopper starved, while the ant complained of chest pains.
Sensei

Postby thirt33n » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:51 pm

TomServo wrote:thats a heavy donate to ask for...most of us pay our own way..and at great cost. kinda insulting to see someone asking for free tickets

I'm with TS here but I think you're a cool cat DJMotion.
You just happen to be like a junkie at this point. Burningman is your drug and you'll do or say anything to get there even if it sound silly or is almost a total impossibility.

Good luck, I believe you're a burner to the core.

Somma y'all are so hard on folks but so am I at times.

Hey DJmo...thanks for the mixes. i'll get'em and listen.

late

crux
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:45 pm

TomServo wrote:thats a heavy donate to ask for...most of us pay our own way..and at great cost. kinda insulting to see someone asking for free tickets

This is exactly the issue!
No one gives a shit if you come or not or questions how seasoned a burner you are, the whole tizzy here is about how everyone hates a freeloader.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Not freeloading.
They're looking for a job at burning man.

If they can't find work as djs, I'm sure they'll find a real nice job somewhere, making twine or something.
gyre

Postby Ron » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:30 pm

I'm not sure I equate asking for a ticket with freeloading, but I suppose that's just me. For myself a freeloader is someone who has a pattern of accepting gifts and not giving any back. One request does not a pattern make, to me.

Having said that when I've ran a camp I've made damn sure we didn't have any freeloaders and have a reputation amongst my campmates for being surly with those who coast on the efforts of others without burning their own effort. So I don't like the mooch anymore than anyone else, if I'm not as quick to see 'em....

Ron
Ron

Postby Digital-Dragonfly » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:09 am

It's not the asking part... it is the deceitful statements (along with the aggressive ones).
I do not get the "I am sooooo cool you really owe it to me, give me what I want " attitude.
If he's so "burner to the core", what has he done to get to the playa...? besides upload a tune or 2, [that he claims are his] and then hold his had out & say gimme some free tickets? :?

it don't flow... :roll:
Digital-Dragonfly

Postby Isotopia » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:23 am

Heres the deal guys.

We are 3 DJ burners who are tapped out. Our BM plane ticks were the last of our funds....and we were supposed to have ticks waiting for us this year but our camp bailed out.... Is there someone who is lookin' for music talent at their camps who may want to sponsor some bros?....

DJ? No, you're not a DJ. You're a clueless fucktard with your iPod full of old Moby tunes.

Oh, and you're a loser.
Isotopia

Postby dj jmotion » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:33 pm

Isotopia

You are the biggest piece of shit fucktard at Burningman!!! And youre ignorance is blinding.

I have 10,000 records from the doors, david bowie to all the 90s dance music from all over the world to now on vinyl. 3 times I have been to BM was in this situation where our tickets were purchased.

So fuck you you freak piece of shit!!!

:roll:
dj jmotion

Postby Sensei » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:39 pm

dj Lotion wrote: And youre ignorance is blinding.

Um, Lotion? It's actually spelled 'your'. I'd hate to see you come off as, you know, ignorant.
Sensei

So what the truth...?

Postby Digital-Dragonfly » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:20 pm

your story still does not flow.... you've been 7 times in 2007...
5 times in 2006-
the first time in 1998...
your buds have been 5 times...
now you've been 3 times? :?:

Maybe it's "I would really like to go if someone could give me a mooch ticket."

oh... and your anger does not make you more believable
Digital-Dragonfly

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Sounds to me like Mr. Lotion has been numerous times, as have his colleagues, and their tickets have been purchased by the camp(s) where they work. I have never been a dj, but I have played in live bands for years, and I can imagine it takes a lot of practice, and a lot of concentration. Great entertainers make it look easy. It doesn't mean it is easy.

It also sounds like Mr. Lotion places a value on his work that is equal to the cost of tickets in addition to the work, effort and equipment they provide, meaning, he and his colleagues' services are equal to someone providing an art car, or installation, plus the price of admission.

If I have that right, then I think I see the disconnect. I think many folks think of the tickets as something like paying for equipment, or rehearsing; it is a cost of being able to gift on the playa, wherein Mr. Lotion feels the tickets are a justifiable compensation for his work. In short, to me it appears Mr. Lotion is actually engaging in a commercial venture here, which may not be allowed on this board.
chiefdanfox

Postby Marscrumbs » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:22 pm

DJ's aren't those people who play other people's music.
Marscrumbs

Postby Marscrumbs » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:23 pm

I'm a lurcher from the ebay fraud thread. We'd be happy to donate some extra ticket to this fine young gentleman and his deserving friends.
Marscrumbs

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:22 am

Marscrumbs wrote:DJ's aren't those people who play other people's music.

Whose music do they play? :?:
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ZaphodBurner » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:30 am

I think it's the way the request came across.

During the 2005 Exodus traffic jam some old-school manson-lookalike hippie came up and asked us for a ride to San Francisco. We said "Sorry...we're not headed that way." He said 'Damn. This is my tenth Burning Man and only the third time I've had trouble finding a ride home.'
Then he asked to bum a smoke.

It just makes you wonder, did he pay to get in? Has he mooched people's food and cigarettes for the last ten years, too? Y'know, maybe he's got a tambourine or a guitar or some Warren Zevon tapes or something so he's a 'musician' or a 'DJ' but, on the other hand, so was everybody in our caravan.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Sensei wrote:
dj Lotion wrote: And youre ignorance is blinding.

Um, Lotion? It's actually spelled 'your'. I'd hate to see you come off as, you know, ignorant.

Wow... the irony is so think I'm gagging...

Oh wait, I was just downwind of BJ Lotion's bile spewing. *moves*

Way to win friends there... :roll:

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby lurker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:05 am

Well I tried. I really did. I sat and tried to come up with some really snarky post.

But there was way too much 'why bother' kicking in, y'know--but not enough to stop me from asking...

dj, could you lighten up on the 'bros', please?

Or wait--are you the 'don't tase me, bro' guy? Trying to slip onto the playa with your stunning command of archaic vernacular?

Hey, I got out some snark. Musta been the laxatives, bro.
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"
lurker

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:58 am

chiefdanfox wrote:Sounds to me like Mr. Lotion has been numerous times, as have his colleagues, and their tickets have been purchased by the camp(s) where they work.

It also sounds like Mr. Lotion places a value on his work that is equal to the cost of tickets in addition to the work, effort and equipment they provide, meaning, he and his colleagues' services are equal to someone providing an art car, or installation, plus the price of admission.

Exactly the problem. Burning Man generally isn't a paying gig, no matter how badly we need three more DJs. I provide a hell of a lot more service on-playa than any DJ. I fixed countless broken bikes (had bike-repair camp), provide lots of bar service, give countless rides and tours on my mutant boat, provide electricity to lots of neighbors, etc.

I still have to buy a ticket to get in and do that stuff. These guys want someone else to provide camp infrastructure too. Sorry to be crass but I just can't get the word FREELOADER out of my mind.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby gyre » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Taking on bike repair in any way is an incredible job out there.
Makes a difference for a lot of people too.
gyre

Postby Digital-Dragonfly » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:17 pm

Damn, here I though I was just snarking this DJ poser & now you guys go & validate my concerns.... FUCK, FUCK, FUCK

What should I think of this issue...? :?:

His profile WWW link leads to his myspace page, that has no mention of Burning Man - anywhere - except a leached photo [linked from "www.wired.com"] showing "Big Rig Jig" [no mention of what the photo is of & it is not even his photo] used to promote his DJ BIZNESS...? :shock:

No mention of Burning Man in any of his blogs or even ANY where on his pages....

I gets the feelin the dude just wants a free ride... he does not come across a very "Burner to the Core" to me.

I don't care that he asks for help... I am appalled he thinks we need/owe him one. [my 16 year old daughter's boyfriend thinks he is a DJ & I won't GIVE him a ticket]

[I guess the problem stems from the fact the besides having a ticket since January (that I paid for) it was not until TODAY that I was sure of HOW I was going to get to the PLAYA myself] :shock:
Digital-Dragonfly

Postby dj jmotion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:31 pm

ya i want a free ticket, a few actually..., yawn, dosnt everyone... funny lol... So many losers with so much time on their handdds that they pick apart a paragraph that took 2 mins to write and come up with a grammatical error to go crazy on.
Lol,...

your
youre

"You are an asshole!..."

Some of you have 16 year old daughters andgoin to the Man, whatta a hero you must be... your prob all old and have nothing better to do than look forward to a bunch of dirty naked freaks every year.. your lucky its gotten a bit trendy and there are some pretty college girls there so you can dream while your fat wives wait 4 you in boring middle america...

I love BM but ya im not going to post it al over my websie or whatever because it dosnt look to sharp or clean LOL, no pun intended...

Burning Man loves scavengers and survivors like us and wouldnt be the same without...

BM started as a revolution so go write all your fuckface laws and regulation, proper BM behavior and whatever, im not begging anyone for a free ride and obviously know the deal and have been 7 X,,, I was in the camp that pulled the giant LION across the playa couple years back blah blah, ya jmotion lotion all over your faces. Go eat mojos bros...old potato head burn out bad parents etc....

-------

boring b
boring

snore , snore , snore....

too much humor....

= )
dj jmotion

Postby dj jmotion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:37 pm

To all you cool burner bros who had positive or neutral comments youre cool and I know you and your guests will enjoy the music.

To the others, well you know what I think...

It takes more energy to be negative than positive...

Im tired of defending myself against a bunch of dick headzzz...

-J Lotion Motion, coastin'...along the ocean... Roastin' bitch ass losers who boastin'...
dj jmotion

Postby thirt33n » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:16 pm

yo J-

i think you were a really good sport early in this thread when most posters would have baled on the positive and gone negative right off the bat.
nice work on that and of course after the folks here kept pounding you you finally relented to the dark side and let off a bit of steam and probably hit alot of the shit you said on the head.....sensei, in fact, is in my opinion a notorious eplaya asshole but he's a lot like me in that you never know when he'll be an asshole or the guy you can't wait to meet on the playa.

like you said, it takes more energy to be negative.
internet bb's are sometimes nothing like real life,...as we all know, and burning man has always had an older demographic than most people think. you are a "pre pubescent kid" in the average age graph in the city of black rock. that's how it's been for years.

folks are extra riled up because of sacrifices made to get to the playa this year due to gas prices so free tickets are just a silly thought and best have very noble reasons.

keep it positive friend. i imagine that you're about to get blasted.
kill us with kindness and smile. you got a ticket right?

have a great time.

as for all you folks who give a shit about what i say,...no offense intended, just my opinion and i hug you all.
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:36 pm

Hey, bros.

I have an MP3 player with a thousand songs on it ranging from jazz to metal classic rock with lots of techno and trance and stuff I downloaded for free from Limewire. I was an FM radio dj for four years and I can plug into your generator and PA system and light show and lay out some FAT JAMS.
Gimme them free tickets, bros.

I'm so burner to the core, my dad blew three of his fingers off playing with gunpowder when he was 12,,, LOL he found two of them so he should get a free ticket too bros because burningman loves scavengers. That was before Burning Man, DJing and freeloading were trendy.

Peace bros.

DJ MojoBro
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

PreviousNext

Return to Get Involved!