The 2004 Theme: "The Gates of Heaven"

What does it mean to you?

Do you think this is true? if it is, do you like it?

Does the theme evan matter?
53%
This theme is great
47%

Total votes : 55

Re: Some body pass me the envelope...

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:21 am

thehunt wrote:I hope that the streets are named after the planets, with the man being the sun and the planets being the 9 planets of the solar system, orbiting around the man...if that hasn't been done in previous years.

Sorry Charlie, this was done in 1999.

I just say NO to regurgitated previous years' themes.
I mean come on! Astronomy (1999) + Belief system (2003) = SHLOCK

Obviously there is not enough Frop in SOMEONE'S diet.

I'm just going to stick with shit. AND DON'T SIT IN THE URINALS!
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby III » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:00 pm

i say no to themes in general, but no one ever listens to me.
III

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:08 pm

As long as we can keep the street designations as Time rather than say degrees on a compass or the Mohs Hardness Scale, or The Periodic Table or some other such, then I'm happy.
Chai Guy

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:03 pm

No, Chai, this year it's going to be based on the percentage of population of certain regions or cities and their representation on the playa at any given time.
For example: If region A (Freedonia) has a population of 900,000 and 2,500 of them are on the playa and Region B (Funkytown) has a population of 1000 and 97 of them are on the playa then Funkytown (the street) will come sooner clockwise from 12:00 than Freedonia. THis has the added advantage of shifting as the week passes and representative populations change, so that no one will have any excuse to confuse the map with the territory. So you could go to sleep at the intersection of Gotham and Nebula and wake up on the Steppes.
In 2005--random reassignment to other camps. It enhances participation.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby cowboyangel » Fri May 14, 2004 11:31 pm

gates of heaven? gates of hell? this stuff is all interior states anyway
bm is heaven for me all the time...gosh golly gee willerkers
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby poosie_kat » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:07 pm

III wrote:i say no to themes in general, but no one ever listens to me.

I agree with you, no more themes. I have this crazy notion that people get too wrapped up in the theme and lose the art/heart of BM. Maybe that's just me. Oh and III, I listen. Of course no one really listens to me either. :?
poosie_kat

Postby Stormy » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:50 pm

Listening. While I can live with a theme and use and ignore it to my convenience, it's the damn long winded explanations that the Borg posts that kill me. Nothing like taking yourself too seriously. And I'm oh so glad that they're encouraging us to further explore NASA and space. Cause I really needed that poke and all.

poosie_kat wrote:
III wrote:i say no to themes in general, but no one ever listens to me.

I agree with you, no more themes. I have this crazy notion that people get too wrapped up in the theme and lose the art/heart of BM. Maybe that's just me. Oh and III, I listen. Of course no one really listens to me either. :?
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:53 pm

Stormy wrote:While I can live with a theme and use and ignore it to my convenience, it's the damn long winded explanations that the Borg posts that kill me. Nothing like taking yourself too seriously.
I have a hypothesis. I won't post it on this board.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Tiahaar » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:37 pm

OK so "Vault of Heaven" has that sort of nebulous quality that leaves the interpretations branching off in all directions, that's sort of cool. Gives me the chance to play up my old bus as a "tramp-freighter-turned-el-cheapo-galactic-tourist-transport starship : )

Then there's the so profound theme dreamed up for the local Solstice Parade here: "Art is in the air". Whee! Can bet wings will be big. I want a big AIR-powered foghorn to honk down the route heheh. May have my trike in it...may be pulling a winged elephant. Actually it will be fun (but "nudity is not permited...if we can see through it you are nude."har!)
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby BAS » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:15 pm

"Art Is In The Air"?! All you would need is someone named Arthur to be on stilts...! (Or suspended under a balloon.) :wink:
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Previous

Return to 2004 Theme: the Vault of Heaven