This is for all threads to goto about www.stopburningman.org

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: badger please read.

Postby talisen » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:28 am

allanon2 wrote:
i have to comment and inform.

Why?

Before you go off on some knee-jerk response, think carefully on the question.

You are much more transparent then you think.....
talisen

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:29 am

Badger wrote:....I'd hope that Allanon3 would reconsider his ideas.

ITYM "paranoid delusions of being a dually-sworn-at eplaya junior deputy".

It's a given that some people will criticize something or other to do with Burning Man.

It's a true fuckwit who overreacts, esp. with the assumption that the rest of us are behind his/her children's crusade.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby technopatra » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:53 am

allanon2 wrote:Badger I don't have any issue with you as long as you stop the personal assaults.
That is why ia asked BMORG to asked all the parties to watch what they say.

Actually, no such request has come to me, any of the other admins, or anyone at the Burning Man Project.

Allanon02, if you wish to make a formal complaint, you may certainly do so but posting a protest to the list is not proper procedure. Send a request to eplaya <AT> burningman <dot> com so it can be properly reveiwed by the admins.
technopatra

re technopatra

Postby allanon2 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:08 am

I sent it to Metric and to Michael Michael. i have it saved on my home computer what the email was and that it was sent succesfully.
Th reason i put them was that Metric gave me a ofiical LLC response in the past and so did michael michael.

so if i sent it to the wrong person sorry.

and i had to repsond to the list so that all involved knows what they are saying could be considerd a threat. Once you inform somone that it can be considerd a threat (illegal) and that person continues with the threats then that makes it only worse. That is why i had to repond to the whol list. FYI

ttyl
rex

technopatra wrote:
allanon2 wrote:Badger I don't have any issue with you as long as you stop the personal assaults.
That is why ia asked BMORG to asked all the parties to watch what they say.

Actually, no such request has come to me, any of the other admins, or anyone at the Burning Man Project.

Allanon02, if you wish to make a formal complaint, you may certainly do so but posting a protest to the list is not proper procedure. Send a request to eplaya <AT> burningman <dot> com so it can be properly reveiwed by the admins.
allanon2

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:14 am

A burningman.com email address is no guarantee of authority on the LLC's behalf, btw.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

on proper procecure and breaking the rules

Postby technopatra » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:47 am

I repeat - the proper procedure for filing a complaint is to send an email request to eplaya <at> burningman <dot> com.

Neither Michael Michael nor Metric have administrative authority over these discussion boards. If you sent them requests, you were sending them only to other eplayans. The eplaya admins with authority to take action are Emily, Spanky, and myself.

The Eplaya Community Guidelines and Terms of Service are going to be posted tomorrow. Everyone will be held accountable to adhering to these policies going forward. As they haven't been posted before, I don't find it reasonable to hold folks responsible for past infractions, certainly not without a formal complaint.

What does this mean? To some extent, tabula rasa, my friends.

Many eplayans have made, let's say, less-than-optimal decisions about how and what they communicate. The Guidelines will give a fairly clear idea of what kind of conduct is welcome here. Under the new policies, personal attacks are clearly unwelcome - as is cross-posting. The intention of the board is also clearly stated - to support the Burning Man community. Postings whose intent is the destruction of our community could certainly be considered unwelcome, as well.

So let's all take a look at ourselves, first, when the policies are posted.
technopatra

eplaya guidlines and terms of service

Postby dirtydusty » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:03 pm

Say Amen! And pass the Mayo, please!
dirtydusty

Postby DangerMouse » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:08 pm

Hrm, should I threaten Allanon2 with a Mayo bomb? From a trebuchet?

So, anyway. I still have not changed my stance on Mayo. I do not like it sam I am, I do not like Mayo and Ham. I do not like it here nor there...
DangerMouse

Burning Since: 2004

Re: re technopatra

Postby Rob the Wop » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:15 pm

allanon2 wrote:and i had to repsond to the list so that all involved knows what they are saying could be considerd a threat. Once you inform somone that it can be considerd a threat (illegal) and that person continues with the threats then that makes it only worse.

Hate to be the one to hit you with a clue stick, but why are you surprised at the responses you have received? By now you may have noticed that there are a number of people that live, breathe, and drink Burning Man. There are people that spend the entire year dwelling on what they do at Burning Man. There are people that have religious/cult overtones to their behavior in regards to Burning Man.

Knowing this, you insult them in their "home" (sheep comments and such), create a Website with the purpose of destroying their event (though you deny it), and show yourself as a hypocrite via your various "off-road" photographs. It becomes apparent early on that you have no real interest in saving the desert (main focus is BM rather than the power plant), but have an obvious beef against the BM folks themselves. Yet you are entirely unwilling to attempt any type of real mediation by contacting them in any meaningful way.

I'm assuming you have heard the phrase, "Be careful what you wish for." Let’s make the assumption that you accomplish your objective and get enough environmentalist backing to dismantle Burning Man. Or, since you state you don't want this to happen, your actions bring about the dismantling of Burning Man by simply continuing the momentum started by your Website. "Oops. Sorry, my bad."

Over the course of the event, let's give a conservative estimate of 100k people having been to the event over the years. Now let's be REALLY conservative and say only 1% of this population is fanatical about the event. I believe it this to be somewhat higher, but lets err or the safe side.

To this subset, you will have performed the equivalent of appearing amidst their cult, crapping on their leader, destroying their holy relics and scriptures, and banning them from worship- yet being only a single person doing this. This is the mental equivalent of attending the Million Man March waving a Dixie flag and wearing a wife-beater T-shirt that states "I hates them ni*&#rs!". This event is not the Rainbow Gatherings; pacifists are not the norm in this group.

Me personally, I've always been worried about the cultist mindsets I've seen appear occasionally on this board and I have commented on this a number of times. I went last year, but left after only two days- and this was after a 3 year hiatus. I'm going next year to give it one more chance, but I seriously doubt I will ever go again afterwards. So I don't have that much at stake here. I'm just trying to point out the idiocy of bringing forth your actual contact info (name, occupation, picture of you, etc.), telling the world you want to stop Burning Man, and then bragging about it in front of a potentially cultish group that would hate you the most for it.

Oh and by the way, this is not a threat by any means. Simply trying to point out what should be obvious.
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

but rob does it make it ok to kill someone?

Postby allanon2 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:56 pm

yes many peopel here, eat , breathe, and drink BM.
But would you kill people for it?
commit blackmail for it?
Threaten people?
If you feel that you need to cross that line that is why we have jails.

I fully expect people to hate me, I don't mind that. But don't cross that line.

hey if i wanted to I coudl have just ignored you all and did what we did and still got to where we are now but we cared about BM and want to let BM and BLM improve so we informned you of our group. We are giving people a chance to improve and we shall se if that will happen.

and yes what you said was nto a threat it was reality Rob. but that still doesn't give others a excuse to cross the lien of allowable to the illegal side.

quote="Rob the Wop"]
allanon2 wrote:and i had to repsond to the list so that all involved knows what they are saying could be considerd a threat. Once you inform somone that it can be considerd a threat (illegal) and that person continues with the threats then that makes it only worse.

Hate to be the one to hit you with a clue stick, but why are you surprised at the responses you have received? By now you may have noticed that there are a number of people that live, breathe, and drink Burning Man. There are people that spend the entire year dwelling on what they do at Burning Man. There are people that have religious/cult overtones to their behavior in regards to Burning Man.
allanon2

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:07 pm

You know Rob the Wop I was just about to stand up and cheer when I read your post. Here, I thought, is someone who not only expresses some of my ambivalence about the event, but also someone who clearly and succinctly puts into words what I have been trying to tell allanon II over and over again.

Then I realized that I was, of course, wrong. After all, AAII has told us over and over that he is smarter than us. When I saw those posts I just thought "Oh, capering like Mr. Punch. Desparately trying to be as smart as the big kids whose game he's crashing." That was the problem there. I am not capable of independent thought. If everytime I run the problem of "Why is he arguing in this utterly unpersuasive way instead of offering us real evidence" I get "idiocy" then it's because I am a sheep and I am getting the mental message from my minister of propaganda because I keep forgetting to put on my tin foil hat. (Someone sat on it in the BART train, and I can't get it back to the proper shape.) Because if my thought were truly independent, I'd reach the conclusions AAII expects me to, regurdless of the low quality of the data he offers me.

So, I'm sorry I cannot praise your sanity to the heavens. I cannot run to the crush thread and enroll your name. And I cannot express my regret that I may have missed meeting you on playa, because this sheep would have loved to meet someone who can cut to the heart of a matter with an almost Occumite razor. But those were just shears, I'm sure.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:10 pm

allanon2 wrote:Badger I don't have any issue with you as long as you stop the personal assaults.]

I would just like to remind everyone that the first personal assult made on this topic was the "spoonfed sheep" remark on the stumpbmorg website.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rob the Wop » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:14 pm

Allanon2,
And if Burning Man is shut down due to your actions would you still feel justified in those actions?
Would destroying one of the most environmentally conscious and clean 30k camping gatherings in the USA be conductive to your "cause"?
Is the pain you would cause those that cherish the event worth your ego?
Are you that inured to the feelings of others?

BTW, the vocal ones aren't the ones to worry about. Loud, stupid, violent people are easily identified.
Rob the Wop

Postby technopatra » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:25 pm

and again...let me say once more that the stopbmorg site and all of its disciples present no threat to the event.

If you're going to feed the troll, just feed him a side of MAYO with his sound and fury.
technopatra

Postby talisen » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:33 pm

technopatra wrote:
If you're going to feed the troll,

Not unlike an accident in traffic. Most claim not to rubberneck, but most do.
talisen

Postby Badger » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:53 pm

and again...let me say once more that the stopbmorg site and all of its disciples present no threat to the event.

Indeed.

Have a look....

http://www.burningman.com/press/press_releases/2004feb7.html
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Rob the Wop » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:10 pm

technopatra wrote:and again...let me say once more that the stopbmorg site and all of its disciples present no threat to the event.

Pretty much knew this one. I mean when the BLM (the agency that matters) give praise to BM on their cleanup efforts- Neon boy and his buddies have little, if any, traction.

I just wanted to try and get through to him the possible consequences of his actions. A lot of people start on a particular set of actions from ego, anger, or pain. 99% of the time, these actions come to naught as they are rarely thought out well enough. Of those that are planned correctly, there are often consequences in terms of conscience and reaction that the hot-headed rarely take into account due to the narrow focus on their goal. Our folklore and fables are filled with examples of this throughout the ages.

I was simply trying to point out that, assuming he did "win", what the effects of his actions would probably entail. I seriously doubt "David" has realized that slaying "Goliath" would seen by very, very few as an honorable or hero's act.

...and I have a bunch of Purina Troll Chow left over from the previous board that I need to get rid of...
Last edited by Rob the Wop on Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob the Wop

Drunken Shrimp with Dried Tomato Aioli

Postby KellY » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:31 pm

Title: Drunken Shrimp with Dried Tomato Aioli
Categories:
Yield: 8 Servings

1 lb Large shrimp; cleaned
3/4 c Tequila
3/4 c Lime juice
1/4 c Olive oil
2 tb Finely chopped shallots
2 Cloves garlic; minced

MMMMM---------------------DRIED TOMATO AIOLI----------
1/2 c Dried tomatoes
1 c Mayonnaise
1/4 c Lemon juice
4 Cloves garlic; minced
1 tb Dijon mustard

Cook shrimp in 4 cups lightly salted water until
pink, 1-2 minutes, stirring once. Rinse, drain.

Combine Tequila, lime juice, olive oil, shallots
and garlic in a bowl. Add shrimp; cover and
marinate in refrigerator 2-3 hours. Drain and
serve with Dried Tomato Aioli.

Dried Tomato Aioli:

Pour boiling water over 1/2 cup dried tomatoes;
let stand 30 minutes and drain. Process in food
processor until pureed. Add 1 cup mayonnaise, 1/4
cup lemon juice, 4 cloves minced garlic and 1 Tb
Dijon mustard. Pulse until well mixed. Makes 1 1/2
cups.

MMMMM
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

Postby KellY » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:39 pm

I do have to apologize. The above recipe says to use mayonnaise in the creation of your Dried Tomato Aioli, which is totally unrighteous. Use the following recipe, then add the dried tomatoes and mustard to that.

Recipe (6 servings)

garlic (10 cloves)
olive oil (1/2 lt.) raw egg yolk (1)
cooked egg yolk (1)
salt

In a mortar, crush the garlic into a fine paste. Add the egg yolks and salt lightly. Mix in the olive oil very slowly until you obtain a smooth paste.

We've personally only made this in small quantities, without much measurement. Some of the recipes we've seen list other quantities:
- (4 people) 6 cloves garlic; 1 egg yolk; 1/2 litre olive oil
- (6 people) 12 cloves garlic; 2 egg yolks; 1/2 litre olive oil
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:38 pm

MAY-o. MAAYYYYYYAAAYAYAYA-o.

daylight come, and me want to go home...

Can mayo make it right?

Postby dirtydusty » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:57 pm

Any opinions concerning the finer points of distinction between Hellman's mayo, Japanese sushi mayo, Kraft mayo, and aoli?
dirtydusty

Postby III » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:15 pm

you left out miracle whip. how you gonna have a hillbilly vision quest without miracle whip?
III

Re: Can mayo make it right?

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:19 pm

dirtydusty wrote:Any opinions concerning the finer points of distinction between Hellman's mayo, Japanese sushi mayo, Kraft mayo, and aoli?

Kraft's not Mayo, it's salad dressing is'nt it?

woops sorry that's miracle whip.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby dirtydusty » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:43 pm

That is the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
dirtydusty

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:09 pm

But a sandwich just isn't a sandwich without...

Chai Guy

Postby Tancorix » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:09 pm

I'll relent and say that Mayo is ok. But I still prefer Tabasco.

I've been offline for 2 full days and missed the fun but it looks like Technopatra and everyone handled it very well, and i'll spare everyone my comments. TP, this board is a lot more fun when your around and I hope you post more often. You were missed.

In any event besides Tabasco does anyone have a favorite hot sauce? Or is there such a thing as hot mayo...like mayo with habanero chiles mixed in?
Tancorix

Postby Badger » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:14 am

That is the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.

Actually, the difference is more akin to masturbating vs. toe curling sex.

Miracle Whip rocks.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Can mayo make it better?

Postby dirtydusty » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:51 am

OK. So if Miracle Whip (labeled a satan dressing) can get into the Mayo milieu, does Vegenaise have a proper place too? Or are these just Mayo imposters, phoney wannabes but not the Real Deal?
dirtydusty

Postby stuart » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:44 am

K, I am a big fan of this http://shop.store.yahoo.com/imsauced/5outrum.html

and the tropical ting that can be found at the same site.

oh, and, uh, did soemthing happen to get all wound up about that I missed?
stuart

Postby Tancorix » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:14 pm

I might order that but I found....this!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/imsauced/1dabtfa.html

This sauce is intended only for masochists. If you enjoy inflicting pain on yourself, Da' Bomb Final Answer is just that – the final answer in extreme heat. Please note that this product is a food additive. DO NOT eat it straight. Only very small amounts should be added to a large portion of food. For example, one or two drop in an entire pot of chili is plenty.

WARNING: At 1.5 million Scovilles, this sauce should not be eaten straight! This additive should not be used for gimmicks.

So much for mayo....2 drops of this should work just fine.
Tancorix

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy