"Best Of" eplaya

We're doing it wrong...we know
Chai Guy

"Best Of" eplaya

Post by Chai Guy » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:59 pm

In a recent discussion on a possible "quality ranking" system, Badger brought up a great suggestion for a "Best Of" eplaya. I think this is an excellent idea, especially for posts that contain useful information/links etc. This section could be organized into various topics and allow a new user to search and get pertinent info much faster. There would also be a humorous side as well (much like "Best Of Craigslist"). I think this is a worthy idea that I would love to see implemented.

Icepack

Re: "Best Of" eplaya

Post by Icepack » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:17 pm

Chai Guy wrote:In a recent discussion on a possible "quality ranking" system, Badger brought up a great suggestion for a "Best Of" eplaya. I think this is an excellent idea, especially for posts that contain useful information/links etc. This section could be organized into various topics and allow a new user to search and get pertinent info much faster. There would also be a humorous side as well (much like "Best Of Craigslist"). I think this is a worthy idea that I would love to see implemented.
sounds good to me. of course who chooses which posts are the "best" is something to ponder I suppose.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:57 pm

Sounds good... I'm all for it. What's the next step?

III

Post by III » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:34 pm

worst case you could create a thread for it. kinda like the "got it going on" thread, but actually community minded, with links to the highlights.

the big problems are that (a) something more official would require some sort of judgment as to quality, which leads to hurt feelings and pouty behavior, and (b) it requires work from an admin team who already have difficulty devoting the time to manage other aspects of this place that are higher on the priority list than a "best of" archive.
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:09 pm

III wrote:worst case you could create a thread for it. kinda like the "got it going on" thread, but actually community minded, with links to the highlights.

the big problems are that (a) something more official would require some sort of judgment as to quality, which leads to hurt feelings and pouty behavior, and (b) it requires work from an admin team who already have difficulty devoting the time to manage other aspects of this place that are higher on the priority list than a "best of" archive.
Wow,

can't belive you got that.
That's what the thread was originaly set up for. Only for websites of burners/intrest.
would have been nice if more than just a few got that along time ago and posted on it but .....anyway.

Last from me for the night.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Bob
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:56 am

I want no part of this. I can only regard the eplaya as worthy of archiving in its totality, not piecemeal. This is not a popularity contest.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:37 am

I can only regard the eplaya as worthy of archiving in its totality, not piecemeal. This is not a popularity contest.
You know, this is a very valid point...

You can always use the search function if you wanted to try and dig up a piece of particular information. Although sometimes the most useful/enjoyable bits surface within a thread that's totally unrelated to it... that’s just the nature of conversation. I have happened across posts that were very helpful to me that had nothing to do with what I was originally looking for. I sure many helpful tips and profound thoughts have been passed over by lots of people.

If you were going to go the route of choosing the “best of...” then perhaps a system of nominating a certain post(s) could be done. For instance:

1) You could nominate any post as long as it isn’t your own.
2) A designated person(s) could review the nomination and decide on it’s value to the eplaya.
3) The composer of the post could be contacted and asked if their post could be added to
the archive.
4) The composer could accept or deny.
5) The only condition of acceptance being anonymity. You’re name wouldn’t be attached to
the post within the "best of" archive. Your post would simply add to the eplaya
while adding minimally to any egos.

This may well be more than the Eplaya Masters have time to deal with. I’m sure there are other things that are more urgent. I’m just presenting ideas to peck around. And speaking of more urgent matters... lunch is over... back to work.

Matt

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:59 am

While it sounds good, this has the potential to be more trouble than it's worth. Even with LaChatNoir's suggestions I see a high potential for abuse, and Trey's comments really stand out. The admins haven't posted the new rules yet, piling this on top of it right now sounds like a bad idea.

Fix the foundation before you try to upgrade the house.

III

Post by III » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:29 am

>>That's what the thread was originaly set up for.

which reminds me of another thing the thread would need - someone with at least a half baked sense of aesthetics to actually make the nominations.
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

DVD Burner
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:19 pm

III wrote:>>That's what the thread was originaly set up for.

which reminds me of another thing the thread would need - someone with at least a half baked sense of aesthetics to actually make the nominations.
Why does it have to come from one person. Why cant it come from everyone?

Something to the effect of, create a thread as Trey and chai say.
Everyone post whichever favorite they have. Then you can take it a step further by doing a poll thread. makes things simpler to sort later.

OK!
I'm modifying this message after thinking about it for awhile.
Why have a poll?
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:18 pm

I don't think this thing has to be about ego, I was thinking it would just be a resource for good information that would be easily search-able (i.e. Tent info, Dome info, etc.).

I was also thinking about starting a web page where we could include a lot of the good info discussed here.

Bob, any plans to get your page back up soon?

Gadg

Re: Post subject: "Best Of" eplaya

Post by Gadg » Wed May 05, 2004 6:12 pm

Seems like a "Would you recommend this thread" rating link at the bottom/top of the thread could be useful (a la Yahoo! news articles). Once you had some data, it would be useful to be able to add a search option that allowed you to filter by thread rating (i.e. show me only threads that are rated 3 or higher). It would also be nice if there was a "Best of" eplaya forum that was automatically populated with the top 20 ranked threads of the month/year. For that matter, it would be nice if there was a top 20 active threads of the month/year.

Return to “ePlaya Feedback”