Safe for a virgin in recovery?

gasque65

Safe for a virgin in recovery?

Post by gasque65 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:59 pm

How safe is a week's stay?

...15 months in AA and a friend (not in the program) and myself really want to go

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:48 pm

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=9047

Here will give you lots if insight into Sobriety on the Playa.
You on the other hand have to look deep into yourself and your Sobriety. Just how important is it to you and at what lengths are you willing to go to keep it.
There is lots of sober burners and some 12 step camps that hold meeting day and night. I have 20 years and pointed a guy from Amsterdam to the fine folks at the Hokey Pokey camp. He was young in his Sobriety and did the right thing in asking around for help.....

So, it's up to you...... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:02 pm

I barely drink on playa and for a set of complecated reasons, I don't do illicit drugs. It does depend on where you are with it, and IBDave is going to be a better source of advice in certain ways. People are going to offer you free drinks, it's playa hospitality. People are going to be partying pretty extensively--is that a likely trigger? Some people are going to argue that BRC is best experienced altered, but it is amazing straight. And if your drinking is in part a "fitting in" thing, I think that it's unnecessary there. People will, for the most part, accept you as you are (unless you're being an ass.)
Work with your sponcer to come up with a plan if you're tempted. You might even find it worth your while to rent a sat phone to call your sponser or whoever--it's reletively cheap to rent if you don't actually use it, so taking it out and not using it wont set you back, and if you have to use it it's a life saver.

What I'm saying is that you have to decide; but ask the questions you need to ask and figure out what you need and make it happen.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mojo

Post by mojo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:04 pm

My SO is clean and sober and this is our 10th year on the playa. Feel free to tell people who offer you a drink that you are celebrating your sobriety - you may be very surprised at the support you will get. Be sure to take lots of fluids with you when you are out and about.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:18 pm

ok, call me an asshole, but, and i really dont mean to be rude, um, it's just that, well....

i dont even know you, but if this is your first time out, i would like to know if there is a line out of vegas or reno or something so i could get a little side action going while on the playa, to spice things up....

ever try gift gambling? it sucks.....no thrill...

if i could get some nice odds, based on the laws of probability, and the ever present force known as human nature, (if you DOUBT ME, just look at eliot spitzer....there.....shut you RIGHT the fuck up, huh...)

i'll bet on the booze, every time...

just be forewarned.

(this also applies to Cigarettes, Caffeine, Marijuana, Any and ALL habitual habits and or freaky sex practices......you MIGHT PRE-LAPSE....)

as in things were better next year...

good luck, and like i said, $1000 bucks on the booze if i get some odds.
Frida Be You & Me

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 am

Q:
...15 months in AA and a friend (not in the program) and myself really want to go
A: If you're working your program there shouldn't be a problem. Check the backhistory of this board because there's plenty of serious discussion about sobriety and BRC meeting places - of which there are many.
Desert dogs drink deep.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:19 am

I am always down to help recovering virgins; at least female ones.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

mojo

Post by mojo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:25 am

I'm backing up a little here - and realizing you asked how "safe" a week at Burning man is - IT IS ANYTHING BUT "SAFE".

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:30 pm

Things are always safer when knee-pads are involved.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:12 am

Theres also at least 10 meetings a day all over the playa.

trevkong

Re: Safe for a virgin in recovery?

Post by trevkong » Wed May 21, 2008 9:18 am

[quote="gasque65"]How safe is a week's stay?

...15 months in AA and a friend (not in the program) and myself really want to go[/quote]

Im a fairly heavy drinker normally, maybe even an alchi heh who knows, but i drink much less at the burn, its a hot desert, sensory overload, you really dont need help enhancing it. That being said, the best way to answer is: Are you at the point that when someone offers a drink, you can say no?

People will offer you booze, maybe even me since i dont know who you are, its kind of a hello there.
http://facebook.com/trevkong

DoriumLux

Re: Safe for a virgin in recovery?

Post by DoriumLux » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:11 am

gasque65 wrote:How safe is a week's stay?

Not Safe? I mean I suppose you should have a support system out there if you are going to go. A really strong one that will babysit you 24/7. I mean I wouldn't suggest it all. You are setting yourself up for failure. A recovering friend I knew was out there. He lapsed. It was predictable. Fifteen months is way too earlier for BM.

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:20 am

Find support...It shouldn't be hard..and make it through the week. You'll be stronger for it. From past experiences, alcohol on the playa can lead to disastrous results. Having your wits about you, out their..is a key to survival. Best of luck!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:56 am

Hook up with one of the sober camps. Serious. Do it. Look in the Who What Where when you get through the gate. Beeline to one, even B4 you set up camp. You may find a cool place to drop your tent.

Don't be afraid to say up front "Hey, I don't drink". You can do that.

People try to shove something onto you, walk away. DON'T hang where it's not safe.

ALWAYS - religiously - drink from your own supply. Azzoles get a kick out of dosing sober people. Hell, some get a kick out of dosing anyone. One of our camps yused to give out Sippy Cups - it keeps the jagoffs from dropping something in your coca-cola or San Pellegrino...

Most bars will have non-alcohol alternatives if you ask. I know we do. It's one of our traditions. We also boot people trying to push people who say they don't drink.

Lotta people with serious time go. You too can be one of them. Or not. Because, just like real life, you can also go out. People hijack themselves "I can go out and not drink/use" when their committee is what's telling them to go out there so they *can* slip and have a BS excuse why they did.

Above all - yer an adult. If you go, go. If you slip, you slip. If you work the steps, you might (**MIGHT**) not die, and prolly won't go out, but that's up to you, not me or any of the other drunks (practicing or recovering) out here. Hook up with a semi-sponsor out there. Go to meetings. Fuck, Start a meeting. Better, bring a big propane fired coffee pot and coffee and put a big-assed banner (like a bedsheet piece of canvas) up in your camp that sez "FRIENDS OF BILL W, 4AM and 4 PM.". And be there for those meetings. Even if you're the only one, well, you made a meeting. And I bet people show up for both!

And don't drink or use for the next 30 seconds. How fucking easy, huh?
And 30 seconds down the road, do it again. Just don't use.

bb

mojo

Post by mojo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:31 am

Marvo from Hokey Pokey camp just posted this week that they have some room for camp mates.

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 am

hmm the OP has this one post and never said another word. I wonder what he or she decided.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge 3D is taking a year off in 2024. Look for me in M*A*S*H 4207th camp.

Greenltdistrict

Post by Greenltdistrict » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:35 pm

...if you are working your program...have taken your third step...and are spiritual fit ....like badger said...you should be alright...if you're still wondering...grab your BigBook turn to page 100 (beginning of the last paragraph) and read till the end of the first paragraph on page 102.

Congratulations on 15 months!

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:30 am

saw somewhere, their are 12 step meetings on the playa.Ill look again

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:36 am

See sober on the playa Q&A Tips and tricks

willyloafofphora

Post by willyloafofphora » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:09 am

But is it safe?
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.

Lifeisshort

Post by Lifeisshort » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:09 am

Not to be mean, but if you are even questioning yourself........ stay home you are not ready

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:17 am

willyloafofphora wrote:But is it safe?

Safe?

As in apposed to what?

Booze… other cities… women…. men… you…sex… boogie man...

Define your question for a more accurate answer.

willyloafofphora

Post by willyloafofphora » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:17 pm

Is it safe?
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:29 pm

willyloafofphora wrote:Is it safe?

No! say home.

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:46 pm

Home !

....there, I said it.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:50 pm

EvilDustBooger wrote:Home !

....there, I said it.

D'oh! heh heh heh

stay home.....

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:18 pm

...wish I had a fiery amber nectar of some sort right about now.

I guess that would make ME un-safe for recovery.

Stand Clear!

willyloafofphora

Post by willyloafofphora » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:17 pm

But ............ is it safe?

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:05 am

Safety is not guaranteed.

Bring your own safety.

sensi63

Only if you have support and your shit together see below

Post by sensi63 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:39 am

I imagine the sober burners in recovery are some of the most disciplined and advanced beings on the playa.

http://www.burnanon.org/

http://campstella.org/index.html

Return to “2008 Theme Camps”