NEWbie!?

NEWbie!?

Postby rbusani » Sat May 03, 2008 8:56 am

I'm new to this. Me and my gf don't have an "established" camp. Does this matter? :roll:
rbusani

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat May 03, 2008 9:25 am

No. Many people drive in, park car in a nice spot after talking to the neighbors and set up a camp. I'd say the majority of camps are small groups pairs or individuals. Read the survival guide like 10 times and snoop around on the internet for info and then pursue what you and your girl feel is the best camping option to you.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby mdmf007 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:25 am

Roll as you wish, petitioon theme camps to join em, or go solo. either way works.

my mates and I were solo our first couple fo trips, after that we formed a group.

it all works.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby AnkhGoddess » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:26 pm

Well, I must say, that helps clear things up for me a bit, as well...

I'm a completely new burner myself, having just gotten her ticket all of a couple short hours ago, and was actually planning on making a point of Burning solo this first time 'round.

As a friend of mine who's been burning for years now explained it to me, not going with a pre-established group actually lets you run around like crazy and have a good time figuring out what groups out there you click with, what groups don't work for ya, etc. There may very well be some group that you *think* you'd jibe really well with, spend all kinds of time petitioning to get into, etc. only to find that you and them totally aren't the right fit for each other whatsover...and that would then make your experience not nearly as worthwhile as it coulda otherwise been.

Personally, I'm seeing my first time as a truly self-exploratory kinda thing- I'll go, see what Burning Man's all about, and then see what sorts of groups work well for me once I'm there. But, going with a large group would wind up taking away from the flexibility of doing this, since you'd wind up more than likely at least spending a large chunk of yer time with them.

Enjoy the whole experience! I'm so excited I can hardly wait! 57 days seems like way too long a time to wait for such an incredible experience!

Stephanie
AnkhGoddess

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:54 pm

You can camp with people and still go see everything.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby TomServo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:35 am

keep in mind,the map. certain areas are designated for theme camps. Peeple get pissy when you invade their pink flags. But be curious, camp nearby..theme camps are fun.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Return to Introduce Yourself!