Sno Kones

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:59 pm

Vampira wrote:I would think burners would just have their own cups with them at all times,
Don't assume anything; no expectations.

Now if you don't want to give sno kones to someone without a cup that's absolutely your business. And if you havea half dozen extra for cuties that human. Nobody wants to be out there for a month, but DPW is. Picking up your trash, to keep your permit. Well, it needs punching up before it's slogan quality, but not for truthiness.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Vampira » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:10 pm

Assumptions are bad...
Vampira

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:09 pm

DPW does a great servie - but no on eis making them - they get what they want out of it - or they wouldnt be there.

Dont litter - pick up Moop you see.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Absolutely it's their choice. And what assholes we would be to validate it by leaving more litter.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:06 pm

You hit it on the head - pick up your own moop and DPW would only be picking up 1/4 of whats out there.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby **burn** » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:37 pm

AntiM - living in Hawaii for 25yrs I remember the famous (still) Matusumoto's Shave Ice. They retired their old shaver as a window dressing. Is this the one kind you are referring to?

[IMG]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/258/64970749uh2.png[/IMG]

(This is my first time attempting to post an image. Awating with abated breath...)

burnbaby

Edited - Well, that went all wrong. View pic at bottom of page
http://www.matsumotoshaveice.com/conten ... 7/lang,en/
**burn**

Postby AntiM » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:46 am

Yep, pretty much the same machine. Ours is a Hi-Liki brand, I think Dad's is a Swan.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Major Mallet » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:17 am

UPDATE:

Again, thanks everyone for the ideas. So, I got a couple of the hand shavers Toolmaker suggested:

http://koldkiss.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Hand-Shaver.jpg

They take some work but they will produce shaved ice. Getting the shaved ice out of them is a bit of an effort so I think I am going to get 9oz paper cups and just fill them 1/2 way with shaved ice and a blast of syrup. This will allow me to tap the shaver against the inside of the cup to release the shaved ice. I also found inexpensive syrup but it has a corn syrup base.

Question for the group: Should I bother to find all natural syrup anywhere for those people who prefer not to consume corn-syrup? If you think yes, any thoughts on where to get it and what flavor to purchase?
Playawaste Raiders urge you to PAVE THE PLAYA in 2013!
Major Mallet

Postby Bobzilla » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:35 pm

I know that at least one snow cone maker got shut down by the health dept for not having a permit. Anytime you are serving a food item to the public they want you to have one. Not saying that you'll get hassled, just something to consider as was posted previously. Theguy who got shut down had a cart and was operating in Center Camp. If you're in your camp and keep a low profile you might go undetected. But the Health Dept is out there looking for violators.
Bobzilla
BMIR Station Manager
Bobzilla

Postby KestrelSF » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:48 am

To apply for a temp food permit, go to this link http://health.nv.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=471&Itemid=978

its $50, which is much less than the cost of the bloody machine. If you ring them up a pleasant man named Richard will answer any questions you might have. Apparently they don't mail the permit back to you but rather you pick it up at BRC so you can tell them exactly where you camped. Makes sense to me. I asked Richard how crazy was the week for him and he said he's been doing it for 10 years and has a great time with it.

I'm also making my first attempt at serving sno cones this year. Our attempt is chronicled here: http://djapplejohn.com/groups/burningma ... Cones.html

Just from our tests of the machine I have discovered you can rip right thru a bag of ice in nothing flat. I can only just imagine how much we'll burn thru in the scorching heat. I was about to try to buy a freezer for a more certain supply of ice when friends reeled me back in, pointed out how much I'd already spent and that when I totally run out of ice just put up a 'closed' sign and run off and look at the pretty lights already. I wouldn't mind if people were to offer some criticism after taking a look.

I think I sent this to you in an email, or some one else, lord knows you could have a sno cone stand littering the place like Starbucks and I don't think anyone would complain... just trek from one to another keeping themselves alive with a constant stream of sno cones around and around and dear me this has become one hell of a run on sentence what was the point of it... oh yes, the sacred link of all things sno cone at burning man:

http://www.tikiicebar.com/

this has become my sacred text. If you remember seeing these Saints, these avatars of ice, back in 2006 with their brilliant mobile tiki bar you'd have to agree they had perhaps the best sno cone stand yet. That page gives exacting details about everything you'd need to know. One of their ideas we blatantly ripped off was 'gift ice - get lei-ed' idea to get more ice. We are gonna try glow in the dark mugs. Yeah, its totally cheesy but think about it, how many times have you lost your cocktail in the dark and wouldn't it be ever so convenient if your beverage container was say GLOWING!!!

Anyway, good luck guys, I'm sure we'll be seeing each other in queue for ice at Artica!
KestrelSF

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:39 am

no preservative sno-cone syrup co-existing with a love affair of bacon. I wouldn't worry about offending anybodys sensibilities since there are so many of them, and when altered, who can say? Has anybody tried a bacon sno-cone?
Elorrum

Postby MozyBonz » Mon May 11, 2009 11:55 pm

I like snow cones~~
MozyBonz

Postby Barbie » Tue May 12, 2009 10:40 am

We don't have to sale our souls for THESE shave ice DO we??? 'cause I already did that a couple years back...
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby EspressoDude » Tue May 12, 2009 1:54 pm

no, you probable don't need to sell your soul, possibly bare it, but not sell it...

after all it is a gifting economy.....
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby jkisha » Tue May 12, 2009 4:12 pm

I saw in the permit application this option

"FOR A TEMPORARY FOOD ESTABLISHMENT, WHICH IS
OPERATED BY A RELIGIOUS, CHARITABLE OR OTHER
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION, IF THE SALE OF FOOD
FROM THE ESTABLISHMENT OCCURS OFF THE PREMISES
OF THE ORGANIZATION: Fee $25.00"

If you weren't selling or making a profit at all, shouldn't we qualify for the $25.00 permit fee??

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 13, 2009 11:08 am

I'm sure they are simply talking about 501(3)(c) organizations. If it's worth all the paperwork and registering with the IRS simply to save $25, than go ahead.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby MozyBonz » Wed May 13, 2009 11:30 am

MozyBonz wrote:I like snow cones~~

Ha ha ha you people must be bored?

I bumped this because I was trying to cover some spam until the MOD,s got around to removing it.

He he he he ….sorry …….or you're welcome I don’t know one of the two I guess.
MozyBonz

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed May 13, 2009 1:33 pm

Major Mallet wrote:Question for the group: Should I bother to find all natural syrup anywhere for those people who prefer not to consume corn-syrup? If you think yes, any thoughts on where to get it and what flavor to purchase?

All natural sugar syrup? All-natural maple syrup? All-natural corn syrup?
What are you looking for??
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 13, 2009 7:06 pm

MozyBonz wrote:
MozyBonz wrote:I like snow cones~~

Ha ha ha you people must be bored?
Never! I don't know if you've had the pleasure of meeting the Major, but he's a fine and entertaining person to hang out with.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Recommendations for small hand-crank shave ice makers

Postby devilZ » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:27 pm

Anybody have recommendations for a good quality, cheap, and small manual (no power required) shave ice maker that is easy to use? The only one I could find online was the Back to Basics one and it seems to only have bad reviews, with the complaint that it's hard to get ice out of it fast enough to be worthwhile.
Thanks.
devilZ

Recommendations for small hand-crank shave ice makers

Postby devilZ » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:41 pm

Anybody have recommendations for a good quality, cheap, and small manual (no power required) shave ice maker that is easy to use? The only one I could find online was the Back to Basics one and it seems to only have bad reviews, with the complaint that it's hard to get ice out of it fast enough to be worthwhile.
Thanks.
devilZ

Postby marcgorcey » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:44 am

Our camp gave out sNoCones last year and was inspected. We were warned and re-inspected:

Make sure to have something around to provide clean surfaces, and ... let's see ... I think hand sanitizer was needed or something.

I wouldn't eat anything that came out of a penguin's butt myself, but hey go crazy.
marcgorcey

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:56 am

Hey those Penguin Butt Shave Ice are the BEST! Funny the Penguin Always seems to appear out of Nowhere Then Disappear back in the Dust... Pay attention deep playa and He may find You!

Thank You Penguin For the Shave Ice!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Previous

Return to 2008 Art & Performance