Noobyish noob

Noobyish noob

Postby glowSticksOWN » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi everyone! Im new here and I was just wondering, sorry if this is in the wrong area, going to BM for my first time... hopefully soon... Is it a good idea to start BIG or just be a guest? If you have no idea WHAT I just said, I mean: Should I make a something that will get me kinda noticed, or should I blend in with all the other peoples?
:?
glowSticksOWN

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:29 pm

I've seen people do either one and it was fine... usually people just go the first year, see what it's all about, and go home with all sorts of ideas and projects for next year. But if you want to come right out and build/do something awesome, I say go for it. That IS what it's all about.
You can get tons of advice and knowledge on here about what kind of things to watch out for, what works/doesn't work, etc. to help make your plans work out well.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby hsdavis » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:27 am

I can tell you that many people have a misconception about what BM is. In my case, I was picturing something completely different in my mind. What I found was a very welcoming group and I really enjoyed meeting new people every day. My first year I did not go crazy with try to prepare things to participate. I probably would have spent a lot of time doing things that my not have been playa appropriate.
If I had to be a virgin again, I would make a few costumes for day and night and read the survival guide again. The weather can be quite exteme and sometimes violent out there. PREPARE FOR THAT!
Bring an open mind and expect to experience something like you have never seen before.
Lastly, I would suggest that you be yourself. You can let your inner weirdness come out, but if you are comfortable in a tuxedo, then go for that. You can only be a virgin once----enjoy the ride!
hsdavis

Postby CLARKcon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:01 am

Hello glowSticksOWN! I'd say go half way between big and small: go medium :) There is no real right and wrong way to show up. If you made the biggest craziest thing to bring out, guaranteed there is something bigger & crazier (and probably two or three of them) Like hsdavis said, the only think didn't forsee was clothes: wear/design whatever you've always wanted to wear, as everyone else will too (I didn't touch my backpack of bluejeans & shirts the whole week out there, and opted for coolness (pretty much nothing) during the day and a jumpsuit at night for warmth. It's also nice to bring out gifts (preferably hand made, more personal) and could be anything: charms, notebooks, compilatin CD's, etc.) but bringing gifts isn't required. Dare I say nothing of you is required- it's a make your own adventure week, and only you receive what you put in and perceive from it. Rock on and remember to drink your water! ---Cc
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby glowSticksOWN » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:00 pm

Thanks Clark... Ill take your advice... :D
glowSticksOWN

see first...then jump in

Postby Crankful » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:05 pm

My first year I caught much playa dust in my mouth since it was agape most of time....Salivador Dali and Mother Threasa (sp?) on a blind date...I became a naked greeter the 2nd year had an art project the third and fourth year and did performance art last year...evolve as you feel comfortable...but participate
Crankful

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:12 pm

if you're building something big, it may be a good idea to bring it your second year so you can get a feel for the climate and wind conditions. Not saying that to scare you off, but its hard to know what a 45 mph sustained wind for a few hours can do to a piece of sculpture or art until you've experienced it.

If I could be a virgin again, I would do a bit more in the costume department, or maybe work out in a gym doing crunches for four months in a row. As it was, I just sat on the couch doing cheetos for four month.s Still had a great time!
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:15 pm

Now that I think about it, the best way for a nooby to participate his or her first time is to come on over to my camp and gift me with some Wray and Nephew over-proof rum from Jamaica.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:05 pm

Glow -

nothing and everything out there is a surprise. Do as little or as much as you can manage.

have a blast and just experience it all your first year.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby C187 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:49 pm

One thing I did my first year was wonder around and helped people on the first few days. Mostly with things I knew how to do. (Like light set-up, running cables, networking) Tho, I would suggest that you, you know, ask first before helping out on something. Along with making clear of what you can or can not do.

The upside is you'll get to learn a little bit about how a project comes to life on the playa. Something useful for later times.

Other things to do include, join' a theme camp!
Or better yet, getting to know your local burners, and see'n how you can help.

But then again, you could bring your shit, set up on K, and ride around like the wind.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Return to Introduce Yourself!