Stag Camp

Postby melancholy harlot » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:39 pm

i'm also among those going minimal this year. since i'm flying to wherever my jumpoff point is, it's going to be me and a tent, possibly no blanket or sleeping bag, minimal food, but maximal water and booze.

what i will not do without? baby wipes, and, for the women, they have special *ladies* baby wipes that are niiiiiiice; a wax job bf the burn; better goggles (talkin like ski goggles, the little swim ones were insufficient); vitamins, they would have made all the difference; some music and a journal for personal time (really key to helping one keep balance and focus); a flashlight; more pairs of handcuffs (thanks motsky, they ARE the best bike locks), a snazzy coat (i did not have one last year and was always cold at night); some kind of nail clipper thing to get the f*ing dust out from under your fingers... those are just the things that come to mind off the top of my head.

cigarettes. many many more cigarettes than i would ever smoke. everybody seems to need them on the playa.

some kind of satchel or backpack.

flipflops. though my feet were destroyed, i LOVED walking barefoot. and i got some awesome first aid assistance from shell. from tom. from joe. from SAM. in fact, i can't think of someone who DIDN'T help me mend my little babies.

also. washcloths. i gave SO many of those away on the way to the steamroom or carcass wash. and towels. for wearing. yeah. when you're sunburned, a towel makes a great around-camp dress.
"Since we don't know where we're going, we have to stick together in case someone gets there." -- Ken Kesey
melancholy harlot

Looking forward to BM 2008!

Postby CinVida » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:57 pm

Hey all,

This will be my first Burning man and this is also my first post here. I've heard lots of good things. A few good friends have gone a few times and I never had an opportunity to go before but I've made up my mind, I am going this year!!!

I haven't been able to reach my friends (do to the fact that both of us travel so much and really haven't kept in touch as best as we should have). So regardless of if they are going this year or not, im gonna dive in 110%

I excited for the adventure and when I read about Stag Camp everything clicked. If ya'll will have me, then count me in!

I'm in South Florida and intend on going to the PreHeat in North Florida from 4/18-4/20 to get pumped up for it and see if I can meet others who are going . I was hoping to catch a train to take me as close as I can go then bus it in to Black Rock with a hiking backpack... am I crazy? do I need to fly in and rent a vehicle? I was thinking a chair, a few outfits, a hydration pack, a 2 person tent, some gifts, protective wind gear, etc...I have to be bit budget conscious but whatever we stick our minds to we can do, right :)

Im new to all this, so all comments are welcome! Any else from South Florida around here?

Much respect,
Jeff / Cin
CinVida

Postby twinwitin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:23 am

Morning Family,
Well, sister and I are back from our trial run with the 5th wheel. What a blast! It poured rain on us all weekend! It was nice to stay dry though, especially our bread! ha ha

I know the playa can be harsh but I am kind of looking forward to some dry, hot weather. :) This oregon winter has been especially cold and wet! I am anxiously waiting for some global warming, my feet are feezing!!(just kidding...about the global warming anyway!!)

Speaking of cold feet, mine have a dendency to be cold at night so I will be accepting volunteer feet warmers while sitting around at camp! ha :D ha

We checked the greenhouse when we returned yesterday(the first thing!) and everything is looking so beautiful. If all "grows" well ha ha ha we will be able to provide a complete, homegrown, organic, heirloom, green salad for an impromptu meal on playa!! I am even hoping for some corn on the cob, maybe with a b.b.q. dinner? Listen to me, five months out and I am already getting ready to cook! Stop me!

Well, love you all have a good day!
s.y.o.t.p.

Which do you prefer? Soggy bread or dusty bread?:lol: ha ha ha
twinwitin

Postby plowman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Anthony!!
He gives the best foot job on the playa.
In the morning, he would sit in our center camp and give foot messages
Felt great and always delayed the inevatable for me.(But thats another story)
I hope he gets leave and makes it again this year..

As far as cold feet are concerned, I'll warm yours if you'll warm mine..
plowman

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:24 pm

CinVida, Welcome aboard! Taking a train across the country would be awesome!!!

CinVida (and other newbies),
Read the survival guide. There are certain thing you have to supply for yourself that with such a minimal set up will be hard to do. You can always buy ice and melt it for drinking water as some do. I bring more water than is recommended because sometimes it is really easy to go through alot of water. We are a camp of totally self sufficient camps so there isn't really any infrastructure or supply cache to take advantage of. One of the reasons we are all self sufficient is so that any of us would not be trapped in camp if say we met someone we had to just be with or if one of us turned out to be a very negative disruption to camp then we could send them on their way. Dealing with waste water and trash is an issue frequently not planned out well enough in advance. If you find that you need more gear and supplies than will fit on your back there are other ways to get to BRC than renting a car. There is a ride share board and connections can be made here on eplaya. Sometimes you can find someone to take your stuff but not you. By doing that though you run the risk of never meeting up with your stuff due to a breakdown being taken advantage of or whatever. Teaming up with people is good especially if the live near you so a relationship can be established.

Melancholy,
I cant wait to strut my stuff in the jacket. You are so awesome for making it!!!
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby twinwitin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:17 am

plowman-You gotta deal! :wink: I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship!

Mel- I hope you didn't wear yourself out with finals? I cannot sew well enough to get sore, holey fingers yet :( . I am learning though...hmmm ha ha

I am sooo proud of you all for going "minimal" I really mean that. Me, I am, as a virgin (sigh...I love getting to say I'm a virgin again! ha ha ha) somewhat uncertain of what to expect so I will not be going minimal. I hope that will not offend anyone in our family. the Stags that is...ha ha I am thinking of putting that on a name sign for the 5th wheel. ha ha ha

Cinvida-Welcome home, how is Florida? Please tell me you are getting some sun! I am looking out the window right now at our 7th straight day of rain! :shock:

C. pants-what are naughty things???? :twisted: ha ha ha ha :wink: And where can I get some????

Have a good day all.
much love
twinwitin

Paradise burn!

Postby CinVida » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:36 am

Motsky - I've gone through the survival guide a few times, now im looking through all the old posts! Thanks for the words of advice in regards to getting there. My thoughts of this moment are, hmmph... Maybe I can train it in with a backpack and a decent sized bag. Get in early enough that day so I can go shopping! (rent a bike, some huge Gatorade jugs, box of plastic bags, and a few others thing that I don't necessarily need or am able to trek across the country) And then if possible figure out a ride into Black Rock, lil anxious about finding a ride back out... but hell really it's more excitement than any nervousness...

Twin- Lots of sun, so much in fact i over did it yesterday. I got burnt in places that hasnt ever happen before... I point blame at technology! I had been working for the last 4 months in doors, on a computer. YUCK! (scapegoat, it couldn't of been the fact that I didn't get off my ass and socialize, go to the beach, or anything like that... no)

I can usually get a solid tan but this time from under my wrists to my elbows and then the backs of my upper arms to my shoulder blades got a lil red, and my frigging chest was the most painful, which looked tan not pink or red by any means!!!!!!! felt like someone was stabbing me with electrical prods and having all my sensitivity receptors hit with lightening, non stop for 8 hours!

Funniest part about all of it, I literally took 4 separate 1-2 hour showers just letting the water bead off me... and what was I thinking? Burning man.... me burning my skin man and burning off everything thats been holding me back (that silly stuff we keep in our heads) and building back another layer of me... a more joyful and accepting me. Come on now, if that doesn't make ya smile and laugh, sure maybe even giggle at the kornyness... then well reread it again!

I am a pretty conservative guy (i got to stop telling my self that!) but I couldn't help and sit in the shower and think about theme of burning man... "The American Dream" and how I could create out of m element outfits and stuff... I've always been the suit, jeans, khakis... button down, tshirt, pollo, type of guy... nothing wild, no flare for styling clothing, accessories, piercings, tattoos (though i've thought about one or two, maybe even all up n down a calf or my arms...) Ouch isn't that a kick to the gut/ego. But hey we got to be honest with our selves sometimes eh? hehe.

But now I'm going to the regional preheat in Florida on 4/18-4/20, thinking about outfits, and what i can bring to gift, hell even about stopping by the naked camp and streaking with them (first time) and being accepting of my self naked in public and what not! It's just all so crazy!

To be around all the energy, the vibe, the environment, the people, the excitement to be free... thats my dream! And BM 08 is just the tip of an iceberg in regards to the growth and change I'm going after!

Okay enough, enough...

Another AMAZING day in paradise ;)

Cin
CinVida

Postby twinwitin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:05 pm

just don't for get your sunscreen to the streaking party!! :wink:
twinwitin

Postby plowman » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:06 pm

CinVida,
Somnivore lives in Fla. You might want to get ahold of him.

plowman

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:08 pm

CinVida,
Sounds like you are right on track. Awesome!! Sorry about the sun burn dude :( Maybe take the train to Phoenix and then--http://www.azride.com/MotorcycleRental.html
Seems a bit expensive though. I would love to ride my F650 to the burn but I love bringing tuns of stuff. Thats why I bought the worlds best box truck!

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Postby Somnivore » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:30 pm

Cin, I'm up near Daytona, drove solo across country to the burn last year-was a very looong drive both ways.

Yeah Shel, I'm hoping Anthony will make it this year. We emailed each other 1 or 2 months ago and he said he was going to try.

Harlot, can I get my order in for some fun wear :wink: , anything EXCEPT medical please!
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm
Somnivore

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:53 pm

Yeah i tried to get in touch with anthony as well no answer on my end which i understand how busy it can get so no biggy... i hope he makes it this year he is mega cool.... wow i can't wait... i am so happy we are having an event here in april it will be nice to get out all my gear and smell the playa once again... yes you have guessed it i have not cleaned my gear since last burn... well except my clothes those i have cleaned ( need fresh clean costumes) so yeah i actually have started packing for the event next month... which also means all i have to do it repack it after the event and i will be ready for the burn :) yahaaa!!!! cant wait not long now :)
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby JesseJames » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:21 pm

Hey everyone! The names Jesse and I've never been to burning man!

hahaha

I can't think of anything that I've been this excited for. Anyway if there's room I'd love to join all of you. I'm half way done the 2007 thread but I got too excited and had to post something. My head's already swirling with things I want to do, at first I wasn't too pumped about the theme but if all else fails I'll try and make my costume as "green" looking as possible. I'm coming down from either alberta or british columbia here in canada and hope to be there for right when it starts. I'd love to help be a greeter and I was also thinking about helping out with some of the clean up through out the week. I normally bring my free hugs sign with me when ever I travel anywhere so even if I don't wind up camping with all of you keep a look out for me and my sign. :D

ps I hope everything turns out okay FMM
Live, love, and laugh<3
JesseJames

Postby SonOfUgly » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:51 pm

posted this in th stag 2.0 tribe but hey I'll post it here aswell

hello all, I'm Tyler a 21 year old male from washington state. This will be my frist burn, stag sounds like a killer good time!! In my free time i go camping. boating, cill to some good toons...have had dreads for over 4 years now. I'm single, live alone, like to cook....can't wait
SonOfUgly

welcome welcome

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:53 am

Welcome to both of you. Good that your reading the past threads... may i also recommend tribe.... and don't forget the survival guide. Wow i tell ya the camp is going to be big this year :) WAHOO!!!!
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby twinwitin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:22 am

Stag Camp is going to be a mini event happening inside the main event!
I can't believe we have to wait 5 months aaarrgghhh!!!

Day 8 of rain...mind going numb.....
twinwitin

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:04 pm

god if i had to see that much rain i would go nuts as well... then again i am looking for jobs and found on working for raython that i am thinking of applying for... only problem is

1. It is in Colorado
2. When you do get to travel for the job it is to Antarctica ( which i want to go to anyway :) )

I just don't want the Colorado part don't get me wrong i think it is a nice place to visit but i like it here in san diego! so the search might continue.
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby JesseJames » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:44 pm

hahaha don't come to vancouver island if rain isn't your thing, up in port hardy if we get more than a week out of the month with no rain we know it's summer, or if the tempture gets into the high teens. I think that's like 65 or comething in fahrenheit.
Live, love, and laugh<3
JesseJames

Postby twinwitin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:06 pm

i've been raised here in C.G. oregon my whole life, we call the area the mold capital of the world! I'm just being whiney :cry: 'cuz I want to get going on our garden. Sister began thinning the seedlings in the greenhouse today, she has a hard time you know killing all those "babies" as she puts it. I just want to get myself in the dirt and be outside!

Hey cheeky monkey, how are you feeling?
twinwitin

Postby Leslie218 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:59 pm

hey. this is going to be my first burning man and im travelling pretty far for it, so i have tons of questions. i have the option of flying into either sacramento, las vegas, or salt lake city. does anyone have any suggestions as to which one would be the easiest to land in and find a lift to burning man?
im also unsure of how to build a shade structure that'll stand with a minimal amount of supplies, im worried that ill underestimate the wind in any of my plans. does anyone have any suggestions on that? or will my structure fall regardless, and i should just be prepared to put it back up?
Leslie218

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:40 pm

leslie218,
My guess would be Sacramento. I've always drove my self so I have no actual experience in the matter but alot of people from cali go through sac to get to the burn. In general with flying in..Many fly right in to Reno and there is alot of online suggestions as to where and how to outfit yourself in Reno. Many in stag camp went without a shade over their tents last year but it is beneficial to have shade if you want to sleep longer in your tent. I have always made sure to have shade after my first and unshaded year. One way to do shade would be to get an easy up that is really sturdy and then set it up over your tent but barely higher than the tent. Stake it down heavily with rebar and twine. Long rebar on each leg and two rebar with guy lines from the top of each leg. The Quonset hut is a good built from scratch method and can have a good wind profile. The main thing with wind is that it either has to go through the structure or be shed easily by the structure. Keep looking around these threads and you will dig up some really good tips. Do Google searches for burningman shade and see what comes up. Shade cloth and light camo netting are good materials to use. Start thinking now about no expectations,MOOP, carying water at all times and being radically self reliant. Keep the questions coming and things will fall in to place. Congratulations on your decision to join us a Burning Man. It will be a profound experience.

motskyroonmatick

Postby thirt33n » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:30 am

jeeez. stag camp is snowballing. i'm keepin' my eyes on y'all. as of today i'm slidin' solo but what is solo on the playa?

..anyway, I'm watchin'

[/i]
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby Redeye Raab » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:58 pm

Hello how's everyone doing!? Well this year is gonna be my second Burn and I can't wait!!! Last year I got a ride through a rideshare on craigslist and when I got there I had the choice of joining 2 theme camps (Smurfnutz and Mystical Misfits), but this group of people asked me and the 11 other people in the RV if we wanted to stay (no one knew each other)... so we did, and it was great! I had so much fun that I only visited the theme camps I was supposed to stay at and stayed at my camp! Our camp sounds like it was kind of like Stag Camp, just like yours it wasn't a theme camp but with 35 of us it was big enough to become one! So since I had so much fun going solo last year I wanna do it again this year and I was wondering if there was enough room at your guy's camp. I was thinking about bringing this shade structure http://www.justcamp.com/index.asp?PageA ... ProdID=404.

I thought inside it we could put my big queen size air matteress for napping in it and some beanbags to sit on and maybe a little fire pit in the middle, you know a little place to gather in shade or around a fire at night! Let me know if there room for me and this structure. I plan on getting there at at opening (monday 12:01 am)! :lol:
Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself!
Redeye Raab

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:41 pm

Redeye,
The shade link does not show a shade structure (seems to be broken) but bringing shade to stag camp is encouraged. We will be assembling a big shade to hang out in from the various shade stuff that people bring for it. Sadly we can't have a fire pit unless we have a 50' radius circle clear area around it. That is alot of area that can be filled in by stag campers. We can always take over one of the burn platforms at the end of the street for some fire watching for a while. We do not have a cap on participating in the camp so the answer is yes we have room. We camp in a rather dense manner and especially this year the individual camps will be right on top of each other. As the burn gets nearer there will be more serious planning of the camp layout and those of us who are sort of leaders of the discussion will ask people to describe what their camp setup consists of and how much area it will take up. So have fun making plans and join the discussion here.

motskyroonmatick

Postby plowman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Hey everyone,
Yesterday was the first day of spring. The creek beds are starting to get
water. They will be dry by June though. The roads are drying out so we are sweeping the salt/sand off the edges. This is a very dusty job (even with the sprayer bars working).
By the end of the day everyone in my crew is covered with dust, including me. They are all cranky and it bothers them when they see me with a grin from ear to ear. They don't understand!!
It doesn't smell the same, but it sure feels the same as the dust on the playa. Makes me remember and I can't help myself
To truely expierience Burning Man you must endure at least one dust storm, But don't worry, They can be fun!!!
Frisbee
Spank the bag
plowman

Postby Barbie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:41 pm

ahhhh llllllooooovvvvveeeee oooooooffffff pppppppppllaaaaayyyyyaaa ddddduuusssssttttttt :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby Red Vixen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:48 pm

I can smell it still, in all my playa finery.... howdy hey staggers and my sweet Barbie...
Red Vixen

Burning Since: 2005

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:59 pm

I got to explain what playa dust is today by way of explaining my "Honk if you love Playa Dust" bumper sticker. We were sitting on my tailgate at the Easter Egg Hunt that my fire department puts on. I grabbed this stuffed monkey that I found mooped one day and I threw it down on the bed and a big cloud of dust came off of it. That's Playa Dust! :) :D :D

motskyroonmatick

Postby Red Vixen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:09 pm

Wonder if that scent can be bottled....

Hey Mots, Somni and Plowman... I hope to be back. I have my tickets, and an RV lined up.... just looking for some staggettes roomies cause this camp is heavily testosteronerated...

So the camp is doing a greeter shift?
Red Vixen

Burning Since: 2005

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:53 pm

plowman wrote: Yesterday was the first day of spring.
It was the Vernal Equinox. And that's only above the equator. There are plenty of places that don't have spring or have it later. I myself am trying to get out a new meme, the "First Robin" test. It is spring when you've seen the first robin of spring. Depending on ecosystem, it may not be a robin, but some other accurate signifier of a chance in weather.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Theme Camps