Virgin Burner from Phoenix Arizona

Virgin Burner from Phoenix Arizona

Postby Shrumatica » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:44 pm

Heyy whats up ePlaya...
this will be my first year to Burning Man and i'm hella-excited.

i will be camping with "FLAMERICA: CAMP INCENDIARY NATION". My friend Yardz, members of Stage 6 productions & Overmind Works, and various people from Arizona... & others will be in my camp. I'm camping with many people who have gone before so i have a lot of experienced people to talk to and already have received a lot of advice.

I'm wondering since i am from Phoenix, Arizona (sunny dry heat, up to 120 degree summer weather) If i really have a lot to fear about the weather on the playa. I'm sure i'll have to get used to the dust, but will the temperature be unbearable for me?

~Karma
www.myspace.com/shrumatica
Shrumatica

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:23 pm

Karma -

Only difference will be in the lack of shade and air conditioning, pace yourself, drink tons of water and have a blast.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby BitterDan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:28 am

Hello and welcome!

The temperature "might" still be a big deal though you would probably take it better than some. The problem is that it is not a constant 99 degrees. The actual ambient temperature is closer to 130 degrees because the playa heats up and reflects the heat back at you. Expect it to be hot, even if you are used to it.

Another major difference between Phoenix and the playa is that there aren't a lot of places to go for relief on the playa. Back in Phoenix you can easily wander into a grocery store and be inside a nice, 70 degree store. On the playa that is not as likely--though you might end up in some AC out there if you meet someone with a nice RV.

I have sort of learned to embrace the heat even though for first couple of days it does get to me. By week's end I don't even care that it's hot anymore.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Return to Introduce Yourself!