Fuck This Theme

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:10 am

Pizza! Now that's a theme I can really get into. Pizza for breakfast, pizza for lunch, pizza for dinner, half of my freezer is filled with pizza. Pizza even goes with tequila...hell almost anything goes good with tequila. One can never have enough pizza!
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Mr.MaskedDude » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:42 pm

Did you know that when pizza is on a bagel you can have pizza anytime?

It's fucking great! I was sitting in the basement thinking, "Shit it's like 2am, no way can i have pizza now," and then "WTF Bagel Pizza!"
Burning Man Virgin
Mr.MaskedDude

Postby Barbie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:02 pm

Fishy- YEA I THINK YOU GOT IT PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA

Perfect theme- YOu've got my VOTE !!!! Pizza it is- Pizza does go with EVERYTHING !!! Spread it around- Pizzzzzaaaaaa 2008

Wow I'm realllllllllly excited ABOUT PIZZA :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have to say last year when we served pizza at Blackie's eveyone was very very Happy to see PIZZZA it warms up nice on the grill...

The random pizza delivers might think we're trying to snake their action...But they must LOVE PIZZA also sooooooooo I'm sure it will be alright with them...oh all these things to think about-its making my blonde head ache...
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:31 pm

i think barbie likes pizza
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Jew Boy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:37 pm

I'm going just to look at them titties! Can't do that in in Iraq.
For this I left Poland?
Jew Boy

Postby Eclipse » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:49 am

I dislike the theme as well. America is the epitome of institution, materialism, and war. Why the hell should we celebrate such a thing?
Eclipse

Postby Sensei » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:49 am

Why the fuck would you care what the theme is, you're there to smoke pot and drink, right?
Sensei

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:18 am

Hell, I just go to play with crazy toys that have no place in the default world... and to cover Sensei's whole camp with dust as I blow by! And stuff.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:12 am

Eclipse wrote:I dislike the theme as well. America is the epitome of institution, materialism, and war. Why the hell should we celebrate such a thing?

And you hate your parents because they're soo stupid and boorish, right?
Teo del Fuego

Postby Mr.MaskedDude » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:49 pm

woooo institution materialism and war! wooooo! fucking wooooo! oh you go gi-......concept...thing...
Burning Man Virgin
Mr.MaskedDude

Postby DaddyMassive » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks for proving my point. :)

This theme is great for you Americans whether you wail 'Fuck this shit!' or not, and very limited for us persons of questionable dentistry. If I dare to be even remotely critical of U!S!A! otherwise similarly minded counter-culture types transform into viciously patriotic 'tards.

I said what I said in mood with the thread.
Admittedly I was being purposefully incendiary but at what point was I critical of the people?
I met plenty of very nice people at last year's burn and serious plans are already being undertaken to form a camp with several of them this year. And, London being the international hub that it is, I've met countless others. Some of them I got on well with, though a couple of them did in the long run turn out to be Canadian..
Whether you guys like it or not foreigners will be attracted to Burning Man. Do you honestly want them all to be gibbering sycophants? I thought BM was all about radical self expression.
So my problem remains.

Teo & Kinetic, part of the fun of big arse fancy dress parties is having a fitting costume.
So short of playing music and emulating a person from movies & entertainment; thus moving Burning Man one step closer to Orlando & Disneyworld and that nice, comfortable, homogenized and sanitized experience you talked about; or being a dullard fuck with a miscellaneous off-message costume, what scope does this theme give foreigners that want to be a little creative. At least with last years theme you could wear something green if you didn't want to go with the earth vibe.

Mr.MaskedDude. Did I say I was proud of being English? You sure did read quite a lot from 'Coming from Great Britain'. Nice stereotyping. If I didn’t know American’s better I’d swear you were trying to be ironic.

Captain Goddammit. Twat. Do you honestly think I give a fuck about what happened 230 years ago in the British Empire? There isn’t even an empire now and the world is a better place for it.
And regarding your timely intervention into World War II, what exactly was it that took you so long to intervene? It took Britain 2 days after Germany went on the offensive to declare war on them. It took over two years for you to get involved & Germany had to declare war on you first. I thought you were meant to be the good guys. The UK has only just finished paying back the debt it cost for your participation on the western front. Dare I say mercenaries?

Re: Nazis in space..
I didn't say the Nazis went to space themselves!
All I said was you have to give the Nazis rocket scientists credit for running away from the Russians towards the Americans and gifting you all that expertise decades ahead of your own capabilities in return for pardons for being Nazis. How long a stay in your country does one need before they stop having those fruity fascist ideas?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernher_von_Braun
DaddyMassive

Postby Eclipse » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:28 pm

[quote="Sensei"]Why the fuck would you care what the theme is, you're there to smoke pot and drink, right?[/quote]

Sure, weed and alcohol will enhance any situation. Am I starting to sense deeper insecurities with this one? Perhaps he is a christian. Seems that way. What a curious thing. I love all the condescending shit towards the "noobs" here, maybe it's just the poser douchebags that use the website. So you know how to camp, get the fuck over yourselves.
Eclipse

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:39 pm

DaddyMassive wrote:So short of emulating a person from movies & entertainment or being a dullard with a miscellaneous off-message costume

Yeah, I think the problem is contained in the quote. This isnt a "fancy dress" party with mandatory costumes. Burning Man for years didn't have any theme at all. (In fact, it would be more true to its original DIY roots were it not to have a theme.) But it started having a theme a few years back, and the themes were interesting until last year and this year. So, maybe you really are missing the historical context of themes at Burning Man. Its understandable, I didnt arrive at this realization until recently.

Go, contribute in some way. If not with a "costume" then contribute by being incredibly kind, giving, understanding and non-judgmental. Make a piece of art, build a bar, give massages. You might be surprised how far that can go instead of blasting on about things you, quite honestly, dont know all that much (i.e. Burning Man, American culture.)

Also, its amazing how many Europeans who come to the States to work initially are just filled with so much doo doo as if every single person in America elected George Bush, and every single person is happy with what he has done and where he is taking us. But, by the end of their stay here in the States and getting to actually know real Americans, many of these people I know wind up loving this place and find ways to stay. I know three such women (UK, Germany and Denmark) and know of about four Germans in my camp who would agree with what I just said and all who live here permanently.

BM is an event that's been going on since 86 and if for one stinking year out of the last 22 you cant tolerate a theme that touches on America-the host country-- then maybe you are the rigid thinker type who just dilutes what's so special about BM. Stay at home until there's a theme you can "relate" to.
Teo del Fuego

Postby Mr.MaskedDude » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Ho hum.

"Did I say I was proud of being English? You sure did read quite a lot from 'Coming from Great Britain'. Nice stereotyping."

Gee where could i have gotten that you were proud of being English, where oh where. Perhaps from your list of European accomplishments, that was right before you called America glutinous and commercialized...actually that bit about America is fairly accurate.

Also even if i had decided you were proud of being English based on you being English, is that really such a bad stereotype? Or were you referring to the stereotypes i mentioned? If so i think they were pretty obviously meant to be taken with a grain of salt. Seriously, if your only argument with me is that i have stereotyped you as being proud of the place you're from...just...meh.

I like how you throw out accusations on so very little evidence, sort of the chuck everything and see what sticks approach eh, very nice.

Also...hip hop, crackers and cheese? Where the fuck did you pull that from? I mean really, its not that hard to do an American stereotype.

Anyway, i agree with you that this theme is shitty. Fuck it. Also how perfectly perfect for the community to abandon a shitty theme and make their own.
Burning Man Virgin
Mr.MaskedDude

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:56 pm

Eclipse wrote:
Sensei wrote:Why the fuck would you care what the theme is, you're there to smoke pot and drink, right?

Sure, weed and alcohol will enhance any situation. Am I starting to sense deeper insecurities with this one? Perhaps he is a christian. Seems that way. What a curious thing. I love all the condescending shit towards the "noobs" here, maybe it's just the poser douchebags that use the website. So you know how to camp, get the fuck over yourselves.
Sensei is wise. Based on the handful of posts you've done, you're pretty shallow. And weed and alcohol are not panaceas and can be quite destructive. And they are a real threat to brains under about 25. And I'm pretty adamently anti-xtian. All sorts go to the burn.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eclipse » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:01 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"][quote="Eclipse"][quote="Sensei"]Why the fuck would you care what the theme is, you're there to smoke pot and drink, right?[/quote]

Sure, weed and alcohol will enhance any situation. Am I starting to sense deeper insecurities with this one? Perhaps he is a christian. Seems that way. What a curious thing. I love all the condescending shit towards the "noobs" here, maybe it's just the poser douchebags that use the website. So you know how to camp, get the fuck over yourselves.[/quote]Sensei is wise. Based on the handful of posts you've done, you're pretty shallow. And weed and alcohol are not panaceas and can be quite destructive. And they are a real threat to brains under about 25. And I'm pretty adamently anti-xtian. All sorts go to the burn.[/quote]

Me talking about smoking and drinking is no reason to call one shallow, especially when that is all your basing it on. I'm not a shallow person. From what I've seen thus far in Sensei's posts show no wisdom, rather it radiates this sort of "I'm a stuck up asshole" sort of feeling. No reason to start giving people shit after their very first post. I guess I don't need to pay $350 to camp in the desert with thousands of other people. I'd rather attend a more welcoming event. Maybe I will just camp on my own here in Texas.
Eclipse

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:49 pm

The eplaya represents maybe 1/60th of the event's overall population. One would be foolish to use this board as a reference as to how the participants at the event itself will interact with you.
It's also good to remember this is an online experience where people can sit behind keyboards and not see face to face the person they are talking to. Without visual or even audible queues, what someone writes as a humorous or generic comment can be quickly misintrepreted...especially by someone who's new to the place and doesn't know the unwritten rules of how this place works.

In short...this is a giant electronic sandbox. If you want to play here there's plenty of room, but perhaps it would be a good idea to sit back and observe for a little bit so you don't walk in and crush someone's sand castle or fragile egos...which can lead to nasty backlashes as you're finding out...unfortunately, the hard way.

Also...having met Sensei on several occasions face to face, there's a lot of things I could categorize him as but asshole wouldn't even come close to making the list. He's a great person...worth the time to talk to, IMHO.

And one last thing...if you're the type to let a handful of posters on an electronic BBS influence your decision on where to go on vacation, camp, etc, then you're the one thats got issues. Seriously.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:57 pm

You've posted 7 times, pretty much about pot. Sensei has posted over 2500 times on all sorts of subjects and shown a pretty good horse sence, plus he and I have been on another board together. And I did say
Based on the handful of posts you've done
meaning that I don't have enough information but the start is not promising. You want to earn some of the respect Sensai has? Stop attacking him and start talking about other things than altering your consciousness with substances and circumventing the law. I've been known to be wrong in the past. I've even apoligised to people for it. Prove me wrong now; I dare you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Bobzilla » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:43 pm

I am surprised that so many people, even artists, are taking the theme at face value. There are so many ways to look at the theme that have nothing to do with and fly in the face of, nationalism, patriotism, etc. Come on people. Be creative!
Bobzilla
BMIR Station Manager
Bobzilla

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:23 pm

I am not a big fan of this years theme either. I am thinking it will hurt population as well. Last years theme - Green Man with the enviro front and center is attibuted to selling a lot of tickets in itself. Time will tell.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:45 pm

lets turn burning man into a soccer hooligan shenanagin potato eatin whisky fighting sausage wursting cannoli sucking event like they do in the Old World...

fucking limeys.......stupid frogs.......lousy gerrys.......dumb wops.....

drunken and useless micks......

step off haters, just because we havent done it in awhile doesnt mean we still cant kick your ass....even collectively, euro boy.

the American Dream....Hey Europe, Suck My Florida....
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby wedeliver » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:03 am

Kinetic V wrote:..... the unwritten rules of how this place works....

I thought I would list the "unwritten rules" to make it all clear as a burningman..

I think thats all of them..
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:24 am

Bobzilla wrote:I am surprised that so many people, even artists, are taking the theme at face value. There are so many ways to look at the theme that have nothing to do with and fly in the face of, nationalism, patriotism, etc. Come on people. Be creative!

How dare those artists take the theme at face value? How dare they express nationalism or patriotism. It's like the Statue of Liberty. WTF is up with that?! THAT wasn't very creative... :P

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:26 am

wedeliver wrote:
I think thats all of them..
You missed a couple:

There.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

damn foreigners

Postby Rolan Headon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:44 am

Yo, Massive Daddy
Where the fuck you comin' from? You can't criticize us! What do you think this, a free country? We're the white rappin', jaw-breaking sons of John Wayne! You just jealous. And don't be using none of that historical perspective shit! Homey don't play that game! Don't make us sorry to fuss with the inventors of the English language. Didn' you hear our president claim the right to bomb countries that harbor terrorists, and we hear you got some!
Was born late and falling ever further behind, will soon be in the lead.
Rolan Headon

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:53 am

not to mention bad teeth and pasty skin...

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby DaddyMassive » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:37 am

/me sighs.
You had to goad me again didn't you.
And after I'd had the good grace to let those other overly patriotic numpties have the last words. Well, I’m an overly opinionated shit stirrer so fuck this bollocks! I've got 45 minutes of my lunch break left and I'll be damned if I can find anything better to do than insulting some already overly sensitive arse-hats.

I expressed my opinion about the flag waving tone of Larry’s diaretic waffle and was intentionally critical of America as a means to demonstrate the kind of problems I would encounter if I did anything but come bouncing along to Burning Man with a saccharine smile and adulation for all things USA. Along with many of my other prejudicial views of Americans, I believe you lot to be WAY too patriotic. Basically saying that you can’t help but take generalistic comments to heart and jump onto that fuck-wit band wagon as soon as ANYONE reveals his or her non-American colours and says anything derogatory.

This behaviour reeks of insecurity, lack of free thought and is down right childish.

Of course, that is my view of all forms of nationalism, but arbitrary lines in the sand help promote that false feelings of superiority most humans need to survive this big bad world and help keep those pesky illegal immigrants out. No other NATION on earth has a stronger sense of fanatical pride than the USA. For what reason? This isn’t a Tinkerbell situation where if you stop believing, the commies will suddenly take over.

Being that so few other nations can articulate to you their concerns for you outdated tribal attitudes in a shared mother tongue, I’m guessing your collective paranoia about English coming across as all superior is just a consequence of you or your government doing stupid shit and someone exercising their right of reply.

Even amongst you there was a vote with 78% saying the theme was lame or lame, lame lame. Are you all seriously expecting all foreigners to brainlessly submit to your will when it goes against their own sensibilities? It’s exactly this kind of hypocrisy that gets the world loathing you and the shit you report to stand for. Freedom of speech and democracy an entitlement of the United States alone is it? The IQ 100s amongst you obviously believe so.

And to my various detractors who have made the suggestion I don’t come.
Fascist fucking morons! Each and every one of you.
The concept of radical inclusion is obviously lost on you.

HAVE A NICE DAY!
DM

PS Be nicer to Eclipse. Guessing from the way you treat all new posters that aren’t overtly women, I’m thinking he did take the time to gauge the mood of the forum and responded accordingly. Respect is earned through personal interaction not because you’re in a clique of veteran burners and/or have 2000 posts. If someone annoys him he has the right to be annoying back.

{Edit: removed a surplus and}
DaddyMassive

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:45 am

my my we have our knickers in a twist, dont we....what's a matter my little limey, cant take a motherfucking joke?

well, if thats the case, i would say, STAY OFF THE FUCKING PLAYA....

because if you think THATS bad, just wait til you see my Kate Smith Bot that sings "god Bless America" at 120 decibels while rounding up mexican illegals.

i'm reprogramming it to hunt down brits.

should be easy, i'll just look for the camp with chilled red wine and boiled meat pies.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:14 am

The only way to go here is Sensei-style...

Daddy Assive, our current eplaya troll, wrote:/me sighs.
You had to goad me again didn't you.
And after I'd had the good grace to let those other overly patriotic numpties have the last words.
Thank you for your generosity.

Daddy Assive wrote:Well, I’m an overly opinionated shit stirrer so fuck this bollocks! I've got 45 minutes of my lunch break left and I'll be damned if I can find anything better to do than insulting some already overly sensitive arse-hats.
That about sums you up!!

Daddy Assive went on and on and on and wrote:blah blah blah blah blah....
Yeah, whatever. It was too boring to sit through.

Then the troll put his foot in his mouth and wrote:And to my various detractors who have made the suggestion I don’t come.
Fascist fucking morons! Each and every one of you.
You DO fit the definition of a "troll", so I call you that. Me suggesting you don't come to a place you claim to despise, to be amongst people you think so little of, does not make me fit the term "Fascist" or "moron".
Please explain why you make sense, without using further nonsense. If you can.

And then, Daddy Assive topped himself when he wrote:PS Be nicer to Eclipse. Guessing from the way you treat all new posters that aren’t overtly women, I’m thinking he did take the time to gauge the mood of the forum and responded accordingly. Respect is earned through personal interaction...
You, my good man across the pond, fit the term "hypocrite".

But you're welcome to keep writing. I won't be able to stay awake for most of it, but sometimes it's mildly amusing exposing what a fool most trolls (such as yourself) are.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Rolan Headon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:36 am

Yo DaddyMassive,
It's me! Hope you realize I'm squarely on your side. Enjoyed your breathe of fresh air...and don't listen to Simon his mother gave him talcum powder mixed in water sometimes instead of milk so he wouldn't be wimpy or easily fooled. He insults us all because he loves us.

I tried to make fun of America and they turned me in to the IRS!

And everyone knows the English don't chill red wine it's just room temperature.

Personally I'll be looking forward to seeing you on the playa. Bring some of that good beer, ok?
Was born late and falling ever further behind, will soon be in the lead.
Rolan Headon

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Theme