hello there!

hello there!

Postby karlirishdude » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:52 pm

hey!Im new here!my names karl,im an 18 year old guy from dublin,ireland and im headin to burning man this year!

was just wonderin if anyone could awnser a question that im not sure about...do i just book a ticket and thats it?or do i have to be registered in a camp or something?(cuz its my first time im not really sure how it works!)

thanks guys!looking forward to a great experiance and hearing from you all!

-karl
karlirishdude

Postby karlirishdude » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:57 pm

oh one more thing!!

do tickets ussualy sell out soon?...would it be best for me to book asap?

thanks!
karlirishdude

Postby Dork » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:59 pm

All you need to do is buy your ticket and somehow make your way to the event with the appropriate supplies (water, food, shelter, etc)

Most people hook up with other burners to camp together, either in the form of a an informal group or as part of a registered theme camp. It's probably a good idea for you since you will be able to share shade and such, but it's not required.

Tickets don't sell out - they just get more expensive as the event gets closer, and eventually it will become too late to buy one. Word is you won't be able to buy one at the gate this year. So yes, buy one as soon as you're able. Keep an eye on the tickets page, it will tell you what the current price is and MIGHT alert you that it's about to go up.
Dork

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Dork wrote:Tickets don't sell out - they just get more expensive as the event gets closer, and eventually it will become too late to buy one. Word is you won't be able to buy one at the gate this year.

all true advice. I would change "word is" to "its been expressly stated in bold letters by the Burning Man Organization that IT WILL NOT be selling tickets at the gate.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Dork » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:56 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:all true advice. I would change "word is" to "its been expressly stated in bold letters by the Burning Man Organization that IT WILL NOT be selling tickets at the gate.

And of course the Burning Man Organization NEVER creates a new rule then decides not to enforce it at the last moment when all hell breaks loose. But yeah, better not take your chances. Even if you do manage to buy a ticket at the gate, it will cost an arm and a leg.
Dork

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:14 pm

particularly if you're flying from Ireland, it would be one helluva a chance to take.
Teo del Fuego

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:18 pm

Like everyone said - you wont have a problem once there.

Theres rumors of a bus service running from the airport from the 23rd of August through the 3rd of September. something like 100 bucks a round trip. supposed to have included all the water you could use as well

- Ill see if I can dig up the email. and post it here. Either ways once your there you are golden.

Bring Irish beer and you can camp with us.

see you playaside
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:22 am

You need to consider transportation as well. Most places will not rent to a foreigner who is under the age of 25, regardless of how much you are willing to spend. Therefore it is incumbant upon you to prearrange how you intend to get to TTITD (That Thing In The Desert). Flying in with a backpack and a six pack of Harp probably won't be enough.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:38 am

this isn't on topic, but I was in Ireland once (Dublin and west coast) and really loved that country.

Of course, being only a tourist and not a resident I probably missed the things that may have bugged the crap out of me, but I have to say that the pace of life, the focus on the small things that count, the countryside, the friendliness of the people, and of course the Guinny, were really incredible.

I was on a train that stopped dead on the tracks for about ten minutes. Then a delightful elderly woman came into the car and sat down across from me. Turns out she had gotten off the train at the wrong spot a few stations back and the station master contacted the train and had it wait until he could drive her in his truck to meet the train. Okay, that could happen anywhere, including, here, but it just seemed so indicative of the face of Ireland I got to see.
Teo del Fuego

Postby BitterDan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:32 pm

that could happen anywhere, including, here,

Yeah right! That wouldn't happen here. As soon as the train conductor called the main office to get approval and they call the executive office for approval for the approval the big-wigs would say "Do you know how much money we are losing by you stopping that train?!?! Get moving right now and fuck that old lady right in the ear!"
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Return to Introduce Yourself!