Food and Booze Licenses

Food and Booze Licenses

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:33 pm

So -
2008 will be hte first year we offer a bar of any size to the public, and I cant find anything on liquor licenses at Bm on the website. Any one out there know if a license is necessary?

We have had a bar, and gave booze out as a matter of practice, but are scaling it up this year, and will be putting a saloon together.

thanks
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Sensei » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:59 pm

I can't imagine needing a license to gift booze. Selling it, that would be different. All you need to worry about is serving the underaged.

For your sake, try real hard not to.
Sensei

Postby BitterDan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:22 pm

From what I understand there is no permit needed to gift booze. As long as you don't serve food you should be ok. I'll ask Synergy and get back to you.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby MozyBonz » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:23 pm

no lic needed

keep drink ice separate from beer ice.
use a scoop for ice. fruit garnish must have refrigeration and a simple thermometer to keep it at temp (slips my mind right now what that temp is)If you use bar tools or glasses over again.
you must have a cleaning station with a way to heat up water.
wash, rinse and sterilize cap of bleach in water.(three wash tubs will work for that )
hand sanitizer for bartender.

laws and what to expect running a bar.
viewtopic.php?t=15616&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I am sure I missed something But its a start.

Just have fun with it.

Edit:cuz I can't spell
MozyBonz

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Sensei wrote:I can't imagine
What kind of burner "can't imagine??"

Sensei elaborated and wrote:needing a license to gift booze
Well there's nothing like booze to perk up the imagination!

Then Sensei hinted at something and wrote:Selling it, that would be different.
Apparently, Sensei is no stranger to "selling it".

Sensei then expressed concern for the quality of booze being served at BM and wrote:All you need to worry about is serving the underaged.
We know you drink only 12-year-old scotch and vintage soda from original pull-tab cans, but sometimes people have to economize!

Sensei then made another thinly veiled sexual reference and wrote:For your sake, try real hard not to.
Just bring Amy a few more cold, unlicensed Cokes this year and you'll keep being one of her favorite people from the playa!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby MozyBonz » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:49 pm

**Sits down and waits for Sensei to show up**

Man I love these guys...

MozyBonz

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:17 am

As a former barkeep, that's more than most bars bother with.

Do no harm is the whole of the Law.

MozyBonz wrote:no lic needed

use a scoop for ice. fruit garnish must have refrigeration and a simple thermometer to keep it at temp (slips my mind right now what that temp is)If you use bar tools or glasses over again.
wash, rinse and sterilize cap of bleach in water.(three wash tubs will work for that )

Just have fun with it.

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby MozyBonz » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:39 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:As a former barkeep, that's more than most bars bother with.

Do no harm is the whole of the Law.

MozyBonz wrote:no lic needed

Just have fun with it.

I would agree.

This is just what I did to make sure when LEO showed up (and they did) it was not to give me a fine or shut me down.
We where a very visible bar so your mileage may very.
MozyBonz

Postby Sensei » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Just don't let things get out of hand like this so called 'Captain Goddammit' person (talk about self-promotion), who serves while he sails the high seas of the playa. Instead, let his experience (and those of his victims) serve as a warning.

Sensei

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:14 pm

Sensei wrote:Just don't let things get out of hand like this so called 'Captain Goddammit' person (talk about self-promotion), who serves while he sails the high seas of the playa. Instead, let his experience (and those of his victims) serve as a warning.

...surely there must be an easier way to mix those margaritas!
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Sensei » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:43 pm

I thought only Ms. Goddammit called him 'Shirley'. Huh. I guess he's out now.
Sensei

Postby Kinetik V » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:48 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:...surely there must be an easier way to mix those margaritas!

There might be easier ways but would the end result be as good and satisfying as what the Captain serves? I recall my ride with CG quite fondly....at least the first part until the tequila kicked in.....that started one of the best nights I ever had in BRC.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:50 pm

Thanks guys - Wanted to get some tips form those that have done it.
mdmf007

Postby MozyBonz » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:35 pm

mdmf007 wrote:Thanks guys - Wanted to get some tips form those that have done it.

You will do fine.

This is some of the health codes which can apply.

These are simple things you can do. or don't that is up to you.

You can do none of this and never have a problem.
Not everthing is absolute in the desert.

I like to keep things bulletproof and leave nothing to chance...But thats just me.

[quote]
NAC 446.115 Refrigerated storage. (NRS 439.150, 439.200, 446.940)
1. There must be adequate facilities for refrigeration at a food establishment, which are conveniently located, to ensure that potentially hazardous food can be stored at the required temperature.
2. Each refrigerated facility used to store potentially hazardous food must have at least one integral or permanently affixed indicating thermometer which is numerically scaled or a recording thermometer, accurate to plus or minus 2°F (1°C), located in the warmest part of the facility where it can be easily read.
3. Potentially hazardous food which requires refrigeration after its preparation must be rapidly cooled to an internal temperature of 40°F (4.44°C) or below and then stored at or below that temperature.
4. Large quantities of potentially hazardous food must be rapidly cooled utilizing such methods as shallow pans, dividing the food into smaller or thinner portions, agitation, quick chilling, adding ice as an ingredient or the circulation of water external to the container of food so that the period of cooling from 140°F (60°C) to 70°F (21°C) does not exceed 2 hours and from 70°F (21°C) to 40°F (4.44°C) does not exceed 4 hours.
5. Frozen food must be kept frozen and stored at a temperature of 0°F (-18°C) or below.
6. Ice may not be used as a food product after it has been used to cool the exterior of cooling coils, tubes of equipment or food, including packaged foods.
7. In food establishments where meats that are not inspected, such as wild game, are processed to the order of customers, a minimum space of 5 feet (1.52 meters) or a physical barrier must be maintained in all refrigerated storage areas between meats which have been inspected and the meats that are not inspected. Any meat that is not inspected must be marked “Not for Saleâ€
MozyBonz

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:46 am

Im sure this comment will go over like a lead balloon, but I kinda hate to see Burners voluntarily ushering in all the bureaucratic clap trap laws from Defaultia. Maybe its because im a lawyer and see Bruning Man as my one week escape from America's growing obsession with over-regulation and a namby-pamby obsession with fear of liability.

Before you flame me (and I admit flaming would be justified) please understand that Im really just throwing out a general observation and am in no way faulting the original poster (who I think is a heckuva a Burner with an awesome bar) nor was I trying to disparage the folks who responded with the appropriate regulations.

I guess Im just musing aloud and wondering if Bruning Man, as its population swells, will become regulated to death.

FLame away if you want to
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:32 am

Teo - thanks for the "helluva burner" comment. I agree with you wholeheartedly as well - BM is the only place I dont have to deal with the default world. Looks like permits are needed for food if distributed to the general public at BM, but booze is a grey area. Ice seems to be an issue. I will not be seeking a permit, and if health gives me grief - they can get bent. We are using glassware instead of paper (paper will be available for doggie bottles) We outfitted the old commercial rack washer in a kitchen trailer, complete with fresh water tank (1000 gallons) hot water heater, propane hot water heater, electric pump, and Honda generator. Commercial Ice maker and fridge is also in trailer. So we are set.

We are having a party this weekend to finalize our theme - I am proposing with the "american theme thing" an old west styled bar. No matter the theme though we are pre-building the wall panels, roof sections, and will assemble it on playa.
mdmf007

Postby MozyBonz » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:38 am

No flame needed…I think it’s a valid observation.
MozyBonz

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:06 am

I think of it as guidelines (within BRC reason) to keep from accidentally poisoning your buddies.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby BitterDan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:36 pm

We may like to think that we are out of defaultia when we go to BM but we all know that we are not. The "real world" will always creep in because someone wants their piece of our pie. Whether it be taxation from the LEOs for using "illegal" drugs or taxation from the county in the form of health permits we will always be confined by the laws of the state and nation. There is no escaping that until after the revolution.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby CLARKcon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:02 pm

Snap- There was a ticket issued to the theme camp at the end of the block (not cause' of not having a permit) but because of something dumb like not having the cooking source 18 inches off the ground. Also, an evap pond was pulled up (about 10 ft from ours) because the dug about 6 inches into the playa to make it recessed (which is understandable). I wonder if some of the officials/regulators see the event as their one week to escape, too--- and paint a masterpiece of textbook rule following :D
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:59 pm

For the last several years we ran Espresso Camp and served over 4000 shots of espresso each year at the 3:00 plaza. We always got a Foodie permit. Last year was the first year we actually saw an inspector. Our camp and the adjacent Camp Nosefish Biscotheque both received the highest possible rating: "NO RECOMMENDATIONS"

The inspectors biggest concern was hand washing station, followed by the ability/knowledge of the 3 step wash/rinse/sanitize. We stated that was done in the Mobile Command Post because of the dust.

We were inundated by hordes of washed civilians near the end of the week because of the ice sales in the plaza. They were clueless about burning man, self reliance, and no moop; demanding that we provide cups for them and their friends in the ice line. We even had a woman pee alongside our serving tent!!.. I know it was a woman because of the toilet paper left in the middle of the lake.

Anyway, EspressoCamp will not be back as a serve the masses camp..

We will be there this year, our tickets are in the mail...
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Hi Espresso Dude! I had heard earlier about some of your problems this year and it saddens me to learn that your fine institution will be gone. Was so nice to walk across the plaza to see you folks in the mornings and your excellent espresso will surely be missed by many. The ice sales in the plaza was a mixed blessing as you no doubt are aware. As a camp dispensing gallons and gallons of ice tea and lemonade, we really appreciated having them so close (when they had ice), but the resultant lines and blockage of the adjacent camps was a real downer. I'm hopeful that some sort of queue control can be worked out this year to keep the crowd from blocking the way so badly if they bring back the plaza ice positions.
We went thru the motions of getting the health permit and I have to say that the health department people were very nice. We had a rental handwash station and the required 3 tub washing system. The only thing they had to say during our inspection was that we needed a little more bleach in the last tub. They even gave us a little package of test strips to check the bleach level. I got the impression that public safety was really their main concern and not the 50 dollar fee.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:04 pm

Noooooo, say it aint so Espresso Dude. Your camp was my first stop every morning last year. I do remember one jerko-newbie bitchin about no cups but your massively contented and caffienated clientel clued this person as only Burners can do.

Please come back this year, but ask to be placed far from the madden crowd.
Teo del Fuego

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:04 pm

Noooooo, say it aint so Espresso Dude. Your camp was my first stop every morning last year. I do remember one jerko-newbie bitchin about no cups but your massively contented and caffienated clientel clued this person as only Burners can do.

Please come back this year, but ask to be placed far from the madden crowd.
Teo del Fuego

Return to Introduce Yourself!