How I Met David Best (And Took His Keys)

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby Mr.MaskedDude » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:36 pm

we shouldnt tell someone how to use and display their art no...but then he shouldnt tell someone how to use theirs either. if his interaction with that other camp by blowing the horn was cool, than whatshisface's interaction by temporarily appropriating the key is also cool, which makes Mr. Best a douche for going on about his special contributor priveleges...actually he's pretty much a douche regardless for saying that the rules dont apply to him. Also how is it that one paragraph you say

"Are we going to tell an artist how to use and display their art"

then two paragraphs down say

"we should have some kind of noise curfew?"

of course i've never met him so he may be a douche and an awesome guy at the same time, and he's definitely a great artist.
Burning Man Virgin
Mr.MaskedDude

Postby wedeliver » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:14 pm

When I mentioned a noise curfew it was meant as a question. I naturally would object to any kind of curfew.

I don't really care who's shit got fucked with, be it someone famous or someone who's name we have never heard.... but someone went to some expense to bring a toy to Burningman and instead of us saying thanks we are telling him what?

Really I understand the need for sleep, I've seen that desperate look and I would hate to spoil anyone's experience, but our city is a little different.

Very few people have to get up in the morning and go to work.

I bet there are lots of people who have never experienced sunrise on the Playa, the feeling of rebirth, joy and an energy that comes from the experience.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:20 am

Dr. Leary, its nice to see you again. We met back in 1985 and talked about how you recently had lunch with Jim Morrison, remember?

Wedeliver, how do you deal with the sleep issue? I know that everyone who goes to Burning Man, except those on crystal meth the whole time, do eventually sleep. In the past, I have used earplugs which only halfway worked when I slept in my car. I have also used ambien. I never can manage to sleep past 8 am because of the early birds in my camp crushing aluminum cans or whooping and shouting. also, by 9 am the heat, even with good shade structure, gets to be a bit too much.

Are yuo camping in an RV, or do you have some real good tip for catching Zs? If ya do, would love to hear it.

'07 was pretty good for me coz our camp got placed at Habitat, which was a lot quiter than in 06 or 05.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby pinemom » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:12 am

hehheee, I dont use the synthetic or organic "sleep deprivation drugs"...

Here's my sleep secret:

I run around more excited then a 4 year old going through the gates of disneyland, I run around and see things, I run around and play on things,I run around and talk to new people ive never met, I run around and get stuff done at camp...I eat....I run around and pour drinks for anyone who wants one, I run around the bar and pour one for myself,I run around and look at all the new camps set up, I run around chasing my blowing away tarp,I runaround runaroundrunaround.....
then drop...where ever...away to blissful playa filled dreams, usually 3 hours before the sun comes up, which more times then not Im running around the back side of camp with a cup of coffee to watch it!

I sleep when I get back to default!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:51 am

Pinemom, that is exactly, and I mean to the Tee, what I have done every year. I usually turn in around 2:30 or 3 am, sometimes much later. My problem, however, is that I am a really really light sleeper. So sometimes Ill crawl into my station wagon, pop some ambien and try to get uninterrupted sleep from 3:30 to 8. I then bike to Espresso camp first thing in the morning.

One thing I would like to add to the discussion is that people who talk about needing sleep aren't at Burning Man for the 'wrong reasons" nor are they trolls who do nothing all day or night but sit around. I tend my tiki bar slinging pina coladas and mai tias for the masses until late, then hop on my bike and view the Deep Playa Art, then hit the dance camps, or sometimes Ill just stay up till wee hours talking to someone realy interesting. Often, going to sleep is actually called "passing out."

Yeah, I can and do sleep when I get back to Defaultia, but my mentation gets alittle skewed after four days or so of little or no sleep. some people are completely different and a week of 1 or 2 hours sleep per day is okay. Im just different I suppose, I really get very moody and cranky after two days of shitty sleep. Hydration and herbal essence helps things a bit, but Im just one of those nuts who really needs sleep to play hard.
Teo del Fuego

Postby mojo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:01 pm

Teo - try a hammock out under your shade structure combined with herbal essence and earplugs. Works like a charm. I found a very nice battery powered fan for inside the old RV that really makes a difference ('cause I refuse to run the generator).
mojo

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:53 pm

thanks mojo for the tip. Battery powered fan as a white noise generator is a great idea, as I have a plug-in one at home
Teo del Fuego

Postby wedeliver » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:26 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:....Wedeliver, how do you deal with the sleep issue?.......

In Vietnam, out of necessity, I learned to sleep when I could get it.

If I am really tired and I have a comfortable spot, I put a pillow over my face to keep the light out and sleep on my back. It helps if I just had sex.

When I wake up I am instantly completely awake and functional. In otherwords if I wake up I can't go back to sleep, which sometimes is a bummer.. but at burningman I let events guide me to my next experience, everything that happenes is positive and if I was woke up, then I make the most of it.

Also, I don't sleep in, usually up before the sun, no matter what time I lay down. If I am tired during the day I can take the above mentioned nap.. 1 hour is all it takes.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby wedeliver » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:30 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:Dr. Leary, its nice to see you again. We met back in 1985 and talked about how you recently had lunch with Jim Morrison, remember?.....

I channel for 'ol tim and he says that he can't remember cause he was fryin at the time.. he thinks... "wait it's coming back... oh, yeah..... that was fine..... lunch with morrison was a qualude salad."

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:00 pm

wedeliver wrote: It helps if I just had sex.

With a partner? :wink:

I actually did meet Leary in 85 and someone asked him if Morrison were still alive. without skipping a beat he said, "Oh yeah, I just had lunch with him last week."
Teo del Fuego

Postby wedeliver » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:38 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:
wedeliver wrote: It helps if I just had sex.

With a partner? :wink:

I actually did meet Leary in 85 and someone asked him if Morrison were still alive. without skipping a beat he said, "Oh yeah, I just had lunch with him last week."

In answer to the question, preferably, but hey...

Leary, we made him. Collective Consciousness. Was he shorter then you thought?

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:53 pm

wedeliver wrote: Was he shorter then you thought?

I only knew him by name...and growing up in the Bible Belt I knew him only as a demon. So his height didn't register. His relative lucidity and gentle nature made an impression. It's odd how what you learned from the people you most trust can prove to be completely the oppositie of what you beleive as an adult.
Teo del Fuego

Postby wedeliver » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:14 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:
wedeliver wrote: Was he shorter then you thought?

I only knew him by name...and growing up in the Bible Belt I knew him only as a demon. So his height didn't register. His relative lucidity and gentle nature made an impression. It's odd how what you learned from the people you most trust can prove to be completely the oppositie of what you beleive as an adult.

There was a poem, not by leary, that I used to have hanging by my desk, it went something like this...

Robbed, not by evil people taking your money or goods, but by the people you most trust when they say, it can't be done, other's have tried and it can't be done. When the people who you trust the most steal your dreams you have been robbed.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby lonestoner916 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Bump!
lonestoner916

How I Met David Best (And Took His Keys)

Postby Mojori » Wed May 11, 2011 1:25 am

David Best at his worst?
=======================================================
"This that, I never got a letter back. More for me. Bless my soul"
-- Brian Eno
=======================================================
Mojori

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Sail Man » Wed May 11, 2011 8:19 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6wV7rAKMNE&feature=related[/youtube]
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby graidawg » Wed May 11, 2011 10:27 am

is this about sleep still? how i sleep, lie down close my eyes, then sleep. works like a charm for me.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man