Seeking an extreme stilter pro

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Seeking an extreme stilter pro

Postby V » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:16 am

Don't know why, but for some reason I thought I could get up on my 4-point stilts without any stilting experience. The field tests showed otherwise, so now I'm looking at having built this thing, shipped it (already) to BRC, and maybe not being able to use it. Sometimes, a vision will lead you to strange places.

So, I'm looking for an experienced stilter with some nerve to try something that maybe hasn't been done before. I’m still going to try to do this myself, but I really want it to fly on the Playa, and I know a pro could make that happen.

Lots of details available for anyone interested, but it comes down to this (roughly):

The stilts have been constructed from crutches, crutch parts, and 1x1 aluminum posts. The leg portions have foot platforms and straps that tighten on the upper calf – all very standard stilt construction.

The arm portions, while somewhat adjustable, are sized for my body, I'm 5'9". I weigh 175 pounds - a medium build – and I have been up on them, they are capable of supporting my weight comfortably while in motion or at rest.

My construction has focused on unimpeded range of motion and structural integrety, all with greater safety in mind. For example, all of the decorative, extra crutches in the design attach above the load-bearing points of each primary crutch structure.

There are 3 sets available – a trainer set with a 10” foot elevation, a medium set with a 2’5” foot elevation, and the final performance set with a foot elevation of 4’.

If you have a background of performing on stilts of different sorts and would like to try something new, and possibly even fun, you can pm me or just come to our camp: Comfort and Joy, at 7:30 and Ego. Just ask for V.

Re: Seeking an extreme stilter pro

Postby charliechalk » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:35 pm

So... did this crutch/stilt walking marvel ever happen?!?! Hope so and would love to hear more about it!
"Fighting for peace is liking f*cking for virginity."

Postby V » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:01 am

Hope this helps to answer your question:

They were a lot of fun, though I still have some work to do on the legs. Very positive response from everyone who saw them, though.

Postby spectabillis » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:55 pm

wish i could remember more about the stilters i saw that had the four limb things going. but if i try to remember right i think it can be really difficult if your arms are close to the same length as the legs like crawling, i wonder if a good ratio is slightly haunched over.. like an ape?

cool idea though, hope it continues to work out.

four legs good, two legs baaaad

Postby chiefdanfox » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:49 pm

there was a movie released in 1982 called the Dark Crystal. It had these four-legged bat things that the "Gelfings" rode. The movie was part puppet, muppet, and part actors in costumes. The "Landstriders" (!) were actors in four-legged stilt costumes, and they looked pretty cool when they ran.

Postby minkey » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:04 am

Then again, there was always this...

Postby V » Fri May 02, 2008 2:27 pm

From, what, 2000?

Return to 2005 Art & Performance