Hello

Hello

Postby randypanda » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:19 pm

Hello, everyone. my name is randall and i am thinking of heading out to the playa this year. i would be heading up with a friend of mine and meeting up with some more friends. and so i have been talking with my friend who has been going for five years now about what to expect, what i should bring, etc, etc....and that has been going well.

however there is one concern he can not help me with, that concern has to do with me being an amputee and some of the difficulties i could face out on the playa as they relate to my amputation and my prosthetic, but he did tell me about this web site and suggested i look here to see if there is any one who can help me out. and so i ask that if you are an amputee or know an amputee that has been out to the playa please get in touch with me. Thanks randall
randypanda

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:40 pm

As of late april last year, I'm a double amputee. I started a thread in the tips and tricks forum called "Wheelchairs on the Playa" to try and prep myself for the trip this summer. So you could post concerns there and read through what's already there. There is also the Gimps R US tribe on tribe.net which has a good number or playa wheelies. You also might want to track down Mr. Fixit on this board; he runs Hot Wheelz camp, which has lots of crips and which does short term loans of art cars with hand controls, so there's wisdom there. Dan das Man who runs the DPW shop is in a chair, and I saw at least three in total as SF Decomp last year. so people can and do go and manage on the playa. It is my intention not to take my power chair, as I don't know how I'd get it there or charge it, and because I'm concerned about the fact taht the playa is hard on electronics. Others say that power chairs are sealed up good enough that isn't really an issue. So, I'm new at this and learning myself.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby wedeliver » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi Randall,

You got a fast answer above so I just wanted to say welcome and I look forward to seeing you at BurningMan, The American Dream. Be prepared and you will love it. Thanks. (can I call you Randy and is your hair red?)
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Return to Introduce Yourself!