Ride Share

Ride Share

Postby poda13 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:23 pm

Hey everyone. My name is Andrew and this will be my first burn and I so stoked! I have heard so much from friends that have gone and from reading online. My main reason for this post is to get my info out there for a ride share. I have put a deposit down on a RV that I am picking up in Las Vegas. I am flying there from Phoenix, AZ and will pick it up on Saturday. I need at least 2 other people to go with me so I can afford this. If anyone is in the Vegas area or is willing to get there to meet me that would be great. Its a big 25 foot RV which is fully furnished and sleeps comfortably 5 people. Total cost is 1505, plus cost of generator and other stuff. 3 people split less air travel = 500 or so each. I need 3 people to do this RV, if not I will be driving my f-150 up there. I can fit 2 moderate sized people comfortably. I just need help with cost of getting there. If anyone in the Phoenix area or on the way up to gerlach needs a ride I can pick up too. My email is poda13@gmail.com. If using the RV and meeting in Vegas I will need at least 30 days in advance a cashiers check or money order or a personal check (allow 10 days to clear) as a deposit so I dont get screwed on this deal. If driving my truck I will need a 100 deposit of the same just that way if anyone cancels on me last minute I am not screwed for the same reason. I know this seems a little much to ask but its for my financial security and to ensure you have a spot in the vehicle to go. Please post a message or email for questions. I will be reading this on a regular basis.
The Goat
poda13

rideshare

Postby chiefdanfox » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:27 pm

chiefdanfox

Postby poda13 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks man, I did that too. Im posting this everywhere I can without being annoying. I hope it bites.
The Goat
poda13

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:48 pm

You DID read the bit about NOT cross-posting on eplaya didn't you? I know you did ... far too early for bites on this, slow down and please, no more cross-posting, okay?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:08 pm

So you just joined.. and you want someone to send you money in advance. Do you have references? Can anyone on eplaya vouch for you? I wouldn't recommend anyone go for this, especially after what happened to me last year. As well as the way these things have turned out for others in the past. Nothing personal but this is a bad thing to get into. Even if you are honest asking for some random folks to get into this with you could result in problems. For your first year it would be best to just bring your truck and rely on nobody else. There is good reason for the radical self reliance principle.

Also.. doesn't this qualify as commerce? Considering its a new user and a virgin and all.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby MikeVDS » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:15 pm

Not commerce. He's not making money off of it, just trying to share costs of needed supplies. There is a fine line but I think most would agree this type of thing is fine.
MikeVDS

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:29 pm

This is fine, usually gets put in shared resources, and I may still move it yet. Unless Dork beats me to it. Just Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay early in the year. The monetary side of it is scary, and I can see how it is risky for all parties involved. This kind of set-up can go south in a heartbeat.

I too suggest you drive your truck the first year, get the feel for the event and meet some people. Caring for an RV on the playa is a bigger job than most virgins imagine. More work than I've ever been willing to do, even when I was sick as a dog I tented.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

a pain in the rv?

Postby chiefdanfox » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:28 pm

AntiM-
I have been the last two years in a tent. My camp mates and I are thinking about coming in an RV. Other than the grey water issue, what is it about the RV maintenance that you think is so egregious?

We would have loved to get out of the dust storms for awhile (well after I was done beating on my drum and howling like a moron...)
chiefdanfox

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:42 pm

Not actually having had an RV, I'm going on the kvetching I hear here. Getting them clean sucks, using the water up too fast and/or getting them pumped, generator issues, driving them safely if you've never handled something that size ... and so forth. But you're not a first timer, so you know the drill, and you know your camp mates. different situation.

We do fine with our little tent under a carport. I even have asthma and I do okay. All a matter of personal preference. Just sayin' a first timer in an RV may not be the best choice without a veteran they know and get along with on board.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

got it

Postby chiefdanfox » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:38 pm

got it. I did a tent in a tent this year, the inside was a 'sealed' (no mesh) tent, and no dust. Just too small for the three of us and guests to sit around in. And it was all bed, so I didn't really want to open it in a dust storm, and have too many grimy bodies and crumbs on my sheets!
chiefdanfox

Clarification

Postby poda13 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:50 pm

Hey everyone thanks for reading this. I cant see the users name who mentioned cross posting but this is my first time posting for something like this so I have no idea what that is. Answers to the questions. First its never too early to get a solid plan in place. Last thing I want to do is be within my 30 day time frame to cancel that RV and be able to afford it. The asking of money is to help share costs, i don't want to get rammed in this deal by going in for something that I cant afford without help. Im trying to help other people get there as well as have a comfortable place to stay while I am there. I have spent 2 week excursions in the Grand Canyon since I lived in northern AZ for 3 years and I know what a tent in shitty conditions is like. As of having people send me money, I would never ask for money this early in the year. I want people to read this and see my information so come May and everyone is going how the hell am I gonna get there, they say oh yeah, that dude in Phoenix. I have planned a trip like this to Tennessee for the bonnaroo festival and lost 1200 cuz of it. I feel that once the people traveling with me and I have spoke and gotten to know one another and there is an agreement in place with a contract that asking for deposit up front so last minute cancellations wont screw me is out of place. I definitely understand concerns about being screwed. Im not here to take money from people. The in my first time posting on the eplaya, let alone on any posting sight. I have no one to vouch for me or any references other than friends and family. I work for a large mutual fund company in which I am a 401k administrator with my 6, 7, and 63 SEC licenses. The only purpose is to get my name out there early. I want to have fun as much as the next, and if I can make it cheaper for everyone out there so we can all have fun then I am going to try. How many people here bought the most expensive tickets so low income people can buy the cheap ones and enjoy this event. I did. Anyone??
The Goat
poda13

Postby poda13 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:57 pm

And also commerce is the sale of goods or services, usually for a monetary profit. Im not making money off of this, just trying to make things cheap for anyone who wants to go. That has nothing to do with being a first timer or 5 year veteran.
The Goat
poda13

Re: Clarification

Postby capjbadger » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:42 am

poda13 wrote:Hey everyone thanks for reading this. I cant see the users name who mentioned cross posting but this is my first time posting for something like this so I have no idea what that is.

Cross-posting is simply posting the same post in two places.

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

regional

Postby swampdog » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:35 pm

Also, look up your regional. You're better off hooking up with some local burners, getting to know each other, and going as a group. Besides, you get to have fun with them all year long! Also, the AZ local gig, TOAST, is supposed to be pretty, well, toasty.
http://www.azburners.org/
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

UPDATE!

Postby poda13 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:32 pm

I just wanted to send an update on this post from a few months back. I have dumped the idea of an RV. With rising Fuel and other costs its cheaper if I drive with 3 or so people. However I do have a new F-250 Turbo Power Stroke Diesel that fits comfortably 5 people. I have one person going with me, would like it if 2 more were able to come along. No set departure date until we get closer to the burn. Share in the cost of Fuel and your in. I may bring a trailer if everything can not fit in the bed of the truck. Leaving from Phoenix, going up through Vegas, and then to Gerlach. Would like to be there the entire week though. Hit me up if your interested.
The Goat
poda13

Return to Introduce Yourself!