Shadebearers Temporate Zone: Soft and Gentle

Shadebearers Temporate Zone: Soft and Gentle

Postby Journeyman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:46 am

Oh, the ART!!! :shock: It's all over the playa, and so is the SUN!!! Why suffer the brainbake? And why let others expose themselves to nasty UV rays and risk losing precious bodily fluids in a futile cooling process? :oops:
We are a group of community-minded burners who provide shade to artwalkers via large parasols to block the sun when it gets too intense. It's a valuable community service, and a great way to meet friends you didn't know you had. It's not like committing to follow anyone around all day, you just spot people who look like they could use some respite from the sun for awhile, accompany them and shade them until they look a little cooler, then find someone else who may appreciate your gift. 8) Bring one or two large parasols and join us. We can be the daytime counterpart of the evenings' iconic Lamplighters.
Shadebearers' base camp is the Temporate Zone, a large white origami-like pleated teepee with 8 A-frame entrances all around. Shadebearers will meet there in the mornings before departing on their daily quests. The Temporate Zone is also a chillspace for hot and weary walkers to rest for as long as they need. There they will find soft and gentle things to land upon, soft and gentle sounds to soothe overloaded brains, and soft and gentle lighting to let tired eyes slowly close under. In the evenings we will serve exotic liquids to replace lost bodily fluids, and in the mornings we will serve coffee and teas.
Infinity = 1; since 1 / infinity = 1, zero is an absolute impossibility. The reason triangles are so unlike other polygons is that a triangle is part of a polygon bridging two dimensions.
Journeyman

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:09 am

Does this mean that my carport is gonna provide less shade than in previous years ?
Seriously, there isn't enough shade to go around out there..........
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Journeyman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:45 am

[quote="oneeyeddick"]Does this mean that my carport is gonna provide less shade than in previous years ?
Seriously, there isn't enough shade to go around out there..........[/quote]

Hmm, good question... did it shrink? Or will the sun be larger this year, inversely affecting your carport's performance? Are we going through a bicenturial timeshift that makes this year's sunny days shorter than in previous years? If the sky is really falling (which it is, along with the planet it envelops) it doesn't really matter anyway. My own carport still provides the quantity of shade it always did, but since becoming the camp kitchen, it just doen't provide as much occupancy space. And no, there isn't enough shade to go around out there... so every little bit helps. Remember: :idea: A burn from the sun makes lovin' less fun; providing shade just may get you laid.
Infinity = 1; since 1 / infinity = 1, zero is an absolute impossibility. The reason triangles are so unlike other polygons is that a triangle is part of a polygon bridging two dimensions.
Journeyman

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:56 am

What's an artwalker? Are they free or on sale?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Journeyman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:48 pm

Not worth a reply, but...
:roll: You've been to the playa. You know what an artcar is. When you get too old to be trusted behind the wheel of an artcar, what are you left with?
:cry: ...mindless banter.... is it RFS (restless fingers syndrome)?
Journeyman

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:24 pm

Hey, this is cool, Journeyman....... We hav a similar intent with our PlayaFrog artcar during the day..... Maybe we could work together......
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby BitterDan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:08 pm

A burn from the sun makes lovin' less fun; providing shade just may get you laid.

I can attest to this. Ok, I'm lying I can't. Why can't I get laid at burning man? I must be a freak of nature... :roll:

When you get too old to be trusted behind the wheel of an artcar, what are you left with?

Or too drunk. :D
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Journeyman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:21 pm

TITWI: :D Exactly what I've been trying to accomplish here. Things happen when like-minded folks gather. I'll keep you posted as placement happens, I'm looking to be around 9:30 and C... with the Temporate Zone, and will most certainly come by the Booby Bar to look you up. Bring a lightweight 6-foot parasol and walk with me awhile, maybe I'll take a ride on the playafrog.
I know of one other playafrog, but that can't be you, because it's a golf-cart sized MV, mostly head and tongue. I like walking with people as I shade them, it's more intimate, more seems to get said, and that situation seems to result in a more personal relationship with those I meet. I had thought about a MV, but I spoke with friends who did a MV for 2007 and they related what a headache it can be to deal with rude riders, demands that you deliver them here or there like a taxi service, and such. Not for me, I'll leave my '77 delivery van as is: my mobile mansion both on and off the playa.
Journeyman

Postby TD-2441 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:24 pm

Wow sounds great :D I'll come looking for you guys and your tent of soft squashy things!! I'm a fair-skinned redhead so will be slathered in Factor 50 for the whole week else I'd be crisped after 1 hour methinks!!! Shade = good for redheads ;)
Imperial Sandtrooper TD-2441, http://www.tk2441.co.uk
No longer a Burner Virgin - coming back Home in 2013 ;)
TD-2441

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:12 am

We shall be requiring a palanquin.

Oh and do not neglect the Nubian hand-maidens, or it will be your lovely head.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby gaminwench » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:19 pm

palanquins are FUN on the playa...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Journeyman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:13 pm

Journeyman

Return to 2008 Theme Camps