All About Participating in the Pottie Project

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Can you get a letter of recommendation from a JotS guy? I think that would be a plus.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:13 pm

I'll certainly ask. I read yesterday that 88% of jobs are filled through employee referrals. But he's only seen me out there on-playa. How that silliness could relate to a customer service/dispatcher position I'm still pondering. Hmm, what could a reference say about me?
1) takes initiative, creative, and helps others get the job done
2) friendly and considerate of others, strong sense of humor
3) a reliable, hard worker willing to put in overtime to help the team
4) exceeds expectations and goes beyond initial job description

I hope I haven't fluffed it too much.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:18 pm

You forgot to say accepts and handles responsibilites well.
Unclude everything you said plus that.
Don't humble yourself.
The truth is what it is.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Who wants to be a potty squatter part time undercover potty cop?

2 problems one solution.

Homeless camp particpants can try to use the pottys for shelter.

At the same time keeping an eye on participants and checkin the potty after its used to check condition.

When someone that takes a dump RIGHT ON THE FUCKING SEAT they can have the poop thrown at them. I think this will stop them from doing this in the future.

Sorry.. of all the cool things thats folks did concerning pottys this year this is one of the nastys that I saw TWICE that really bit my ass. I'd put in 4 hours on 2 different days. Who's with me? If we pick the right nights.. ya know after the tourists get there.. we would definitely see some action.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:54 am

Yo rob-a-dob, a pictre of Rust-t-fur six months after he come to live with me..

http://community.webtv.net/unjonharley/doc0

He will bite but is working on living indoors with other people.. He lets me know when he needs loves..
unjonharley

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:29 pm

What a big beautiful cat. Thank you very much for sharing the pic.
robbidobbs

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:23 pm

Aww what a sweet kitty!!! Thanks unjon!
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Hey Doggy, your sig-line immediately reminds me of the fart sound from Monty Python. Just thought I'd share.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:02 pm

<This is the rough draft to the first pottie-list letter to be sent once tickets go on sale. You're my beta-testers ePlayans, and I appreciate your input>

New year, new ideas. We need to get a jump on how to ATTACK this town with the NO BABY-WIPES message. Me and my megaphone aren't cutting the mustard. We obviously need to turn the volume up to 11. Let's work smarter this year rather than harder.

I'm introducing a new strategy this year. You know how at the first meeting that every camp has, once sufficient people have arrived, there are key issues and assignments that are discussed: who is the mayor(s), the cook, bartender, moop monitor, water carrier, who's in charge of what and how do we get this show on the road. Yeah, that meeting. We all have them.

Here's my epiphany: I want every Mayor to bring up in this camp meeting the message about no wet-wipes in the toilets policy. I've never been a mayor, so I don't know how best to lobby every one to do this.

There is a form and published regulations in order to get registered. Generally it's the Mayor that has to make that happen. Are there guidelines for mayors on what to inform their people? Is it just a matter of adding it to an existing published LIST? Ya, ya, I know there's the Survival Guide. But is there something that the mayors are TOLD to inform their people at their first meeting, or do they wing it? If it's more organic than that, then should we entertain the idea of formalizing it? You know, put the big issues succinctly in checklist form? If this is an utterly foolish idea let me know.

We gots some Big Brains out there, and if we can get those brains to work for us we might make some headway. I realize mayors are busy as hell and they're by definition VETERANS and therefore WELL INFORMED. But the message isn't getting through, as seen by last year's seizing up of the Separator DAILY from baby-wipes. I'm already going around to every camp I can soliciting help, but I need their attention UP FRONT. At every possible attention juncture. Have the Mayors impress on the participants this very real issue when they're fresh off the pavement.

So to be successful on this bold enterprise, I need to get the ear of every mayor in our fair city, and get this important issue brought to each and EVERY table. Let's muscle in on everyone's scene on the first day. Why be bashful?

How do we do this? I'm open to suggestions. It is that important.
robbidobbs

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:44 pm

I'm going to have to post later. Really tired tonight.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:13 pm

How about really bigNO BABYWIPES !!!poster on the doors ?
Inside or out.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:53 am

It literally takes all the strength that I have, with volunteers, to put up the half-sheet signs, at eye level (5'8"), with 36 point type, and fully half of the signs directly address baby-wipes.

If you want to get started putting signs on the interior, go for it. I could even get the budget/supplies and have transpo available for you. I could likely get you an early entry pass if you took on this responsibility. I really am not kidding. We need to cure this blindspot in our culture.

On the last day of the event this year, I was at a bank talking with Mike. A middle aged gentleman was heading for one of the units carrying a baby-wipe package under his arm. I asked him if he had a ziploc bag to put the used ones in. He said no. I informed him that the baby-wipes couldn't go in the toilets, he asked why. I punted the question to Mike, who explained. The man nodded and went in.
The door that he went into had a NO BABY-WIPES sign on it. I don't think he glanced at it.

What do WE have to do to get this message into participant's heads, other than blunt trauma?
robbidobbs

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:10 am

robbidobbs wrote:It literally takes all the strength that I have, with volunteers, to put up the half-sheet signs, at eye level (5'8"), with 36 point type, and fully half of the signs directly address baby-wipes.

But therein lies the problem.
When it gets real busy and you have to wait for someone to leave a shishack before you get your turn, almost nobody is taking the time to stop and read the signs.
Everyone waits 15 to 20 feet away from them so reading them then is usually not gonna happen.
Now if they were on the inside........

The signs on the outside do some good, but I miss the ones that had a lot of Haiku and humor from years ago. I actually read every one of them back then, because of the humor aspect.
oneeyeddick

Postby mereth » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:47 pm

How about providing ziploc bags as well as TP (I know that sounds really expensive) so if someone uses a wipe or changes a tampon, but they forgot to bring a baggie as well, there's one there to put it in and take it away?
Just some cheeeep baggies... (I'd be happy to research just how cheap you can get them if you'd like, Robbi...)
Okay, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
mereth

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:01 pm

Yea, Robbi..... I think most of us in TerminalCity would take some time out to help post signs or whatever in the potties at the beginning of the event.........
Jus let us know......
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm

Ok, so I've never posted in this thread before, but I kinda have this idea......

Maybe you can invite the 2 girls and a cup to help out.

Ok ok,

I'll leave you guys alone.

Heck, it's Friday!

(Sorry, I just could not pass that one up. This is the only time I'll post here.)

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Lisa_M_Davies » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:09 pm

I think that zip-log bags in the toilets - or by the anti-bacterial gel pole, would be a fantastic idea!!! Being stuck out on the playa with nothing to put tampons with nothing to put them in apart from the toilets was an unfortunate situation I found myself in and know that was a common thing other ladies unfortunately in.. no excuse really... we should try and be prepared for all situations.. but things don't always work out that way...
Lisa_M_Davies

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:13 pm

The year after we suffered a TP shortage, I made up over 100 shit-kits.. after handing out about 5,, I found them in the shit holes..

Nice try but, fuck

Lets get the word out that the gate crew is going to search your car for wipes.. And will turn you back if any are found..

I'll get a letter off to the JRS.. ASking them to post anti wipe info in "all" there posting.. hopefuly in bold lettering..

How can we ask admid to post the message strongly in some of there dribble?;( read the back of your ticket,perhaps;(

I try to camp across from a pottie row.. I could drive a small post with a good sign attached.. say back about where people stand to wait.. Then remove it and take it home for the following year
unjonharley

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:00 pm

unjonharley wrote:Lets get the word out that the gate crew is going to search your car for wipes.. And will turn you back if any are found..

You would have to turn around pretty much everyone then.

Don't they have baby wipes on the list of things to bring in the survival guide ?......I've never actually bothered reading it.......
oneeyeddick

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:32 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Lets get the word out that the gate crew is going to search your car for wipes.. And will turn you back if any are found..

You would have to turn around pretty much everyone then.

Don't they have baby wipes on the list of things to bring in the survival guide ?......I've never actually bothered reading it.......

\/
you are "one" person who can not get a joke..

The people that do not read the survival guide are those most offten refered to as asshats.. just in case you were woundering
unjonharley

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:43 pm

I think what is really needed here is personal responsibility and by that I mean a dedication to doing the right thing by the porta poties and the guys who handle our shit for us. In my opinion Burning Man should never provide zip lock style bags to any participant. They would end up in the units and then men would have to climb in to the separator even more than the many times a day that they don a full Haz-Mat and get in there now. Picking shit covered everything off of the screen so that the waste treatment plant will continue to accept the effluent. So our event can continue.
End Rant.
I don't know about viral marketing but we need something here that will be permanently imprinted on participants. A way to make an impression of how serious the situation could get in a matter of hours if the resourceful guys at Jots camp run out of contingencies.

Here are my ideas. New signs in new places to catch attention of participants when they are not at the potty banks.

A double or triple size sign on the end of the potty banks taped to the side so that people walking or riding up can not avoid seeing it. It would state the top 5 moops in the poop and the fact that having moop in the poop can end the event and it is up to the on site Nevada Dept. of Health staff not the ORG to shut it down. Have a nice day. Maybe that is too threatening?

1/4 inch plywood signs randomly dispersed throughout the city attached to the street sign posts that address this issue and suggest options but not necessarily together on the same sign. Some would be direct others would be more subtle. Related messages that would string together as one encountered the signs. All of these signs would have a common look so that at a certain point just seeing the sign would trigger the message.

An informational timeline on the esplanade like the one that shows the evolution of burning man except that it shows the evolution of Jots and now United Site Services. It could have yearly basic data like the number of units on playa, major shit storms and causes, evolution of technology put in to use(first year when...) It could also highlight the people who maintain the units so as to bring a human perspective to it. Highlighting workers who continuously return to work the event and one of their favorite happenings on site and/or a horror story. This would be a tremendous amount of work to put together but might be something that would reach out to a new demographic.
Feel free to mutate, adapt, smack down or go crazy with any of my ideas.

I pledge to talk to all my camp mates about moop in the poop and proper hovering method for those who must hover.
I for one am ready to help again.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:47 pm

unjonharley wrote:

The people that do not read the survival guide are those most offten refered to as asshats.. just in case you were woundering

And here I thought an asshat was someone who needs a guide to tell them to bring food, water, and suntan lotion when camping in the desert.

....or was that someone who can't see sarcasm when it is smoking ?........
oneeyeddick

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:04 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:But therein lies the problem.
When it gets real busy and you have to wait for someone to leave a shishack before you get your turn, almost nobody is taking the time to stop and read the signs. Everyone waits 15 to 20 feet away from them so reading them then is usually not gonna happen.

36 point was settled on because someone with 20/20 CAN read the sign from 20 feet back. I measure it.
This is NOT the only time you're going to use these units. The idea is that you will be visiting them an average of 3-5 times per day. At SOME point, you'll read them. The problem lies in that there are too many people that don't bother to read anything, are just zoned out, and they need to message going through a different channel, like the ears.

Now if they were on the inside........

Not logistically possible given my time constraints. Wanna help?

The signs on the outside do some good, but I miss the ones that had a lot of Haiku and humor from years ago. I actually read every one of them back then, because of the humor aspect.

ALL signs that had more letters than could fit on a half sheet at 36 point were discarded. It was sad and painful, and a lot of good art went away, but it was a decision I had to make. Thank you for the input though.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:11 pm

mereth wrote:How about providing ziploc bags as well as TP (I know that sounds really expensive) so if someone uses a wipe or changes a tampon, but they forgot to bring a baggie as well, there's one there to put it in and take it away?
Just some cheeeep baggies... (I'd be happy to research just how cheap you can get them if you'd like, Robbi...)

Feel free to take this on as your contribution to the community. You can just stand out by the potty-bank nearby where you live. Just hang out and distribute these bags. Go for it.

I carry many ziploc sandwich bags on my person at all times to give away. I applaud your enthusiasm of volunteering to do this as well.

Use humor when you approach strangers at the potties though. I will ask for a show of hands for all those who are currently menstruating. I get a laugh out of that. But I do make the message very out-of-the-closet, and get good response from it.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:17 pm

thisisthatwhichis wrote:Yea, Robbi..... I think most of us in TerminalCity would take some time out to help post signs or whatever in the potties at the beginning of the event.........
Jus let us know......

Absolutely. Last year living in Terminal City was the shit for getting volunteers.

BTW: It's been since friday that I've check the internet. I helped Burners w/o Borders at the Fernley flood. It was a profound experience.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:19 pm

DVD Burner wrote:Maybe you can invite the 2 girls and a cup to help out.

I don't get it.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:24 pm

Lisa_M_Davies wrote:I think that zip-log bags in the toilets - or by the anti-bacterial gel pole, would be a fantastic idea!!! Being stuck out on the playa with nothing to put tampons with nothing to put them in apart from the toilets was an unfortunate situation I found myself in and know that was a common thing other ladies unfortunately in.. no excuse really... we should try and be prepared for all situations.. but things don't always work out that way...

That's ok, now you know. So your mission this year is to not only have your baggy on you should you need to put anything wet inside, but you could also give it away to someone who wasn't so prepared.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:37 pm

unjonharley wrote:The year after we suffered a TP shortage, I made up over 100 shit-kits.. after handing out about 5,, I found them in the shit holes..

Nice try but, fuck

Lets get the word out that the gate crew is going to search your car for wipes.. And will turn you back if any are found..

I'll get a letter off to the JRS.. ASking them to post anti wipe info in "all" there posting.. hopefuly in bold lettering..

How can we ask admid to post the message strongly in some of there dribble?;( read the back of your ticket,perhaps;(

I try to camp across from a pottie row.. I could drive a small post with a good sign attached.. say back about where people stand to wait.. Then remove it and take it home for the following year

The LLC and Gate have heard all about this for years. Sending a letter is great, maybe they do need to hear it from someone other than me.

Gate isn't interested at all in spreading the word, and believe it to be a Greeter issue. They are busy as all fucking get out, I realize, but it is crucial info imo.

The best thing that the LLC did recently for this was to have the potty message as the first paragraph of the Survival Guide, that way if someone is just grazing through and only reading first paragraphs, they'll catch it. There isn't nearly enough media coverage, and now that we no longer have Piss Clear or the Gazette, the radio is the only place that can do real time educating, other than word of mouth. Which is why I needed to get a bigger mouth: a megaphone.

I do like the idea of a posted sign, just make sure it doesn't impede the trucks. Perhaps at the hand sanitizer post? If you do live near a bank, I'm happy to keep you supplied with sacks of tp should they run out. That would be a HUGE help to the community and me.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:49 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:A double or triple size sign on the end of the potty banks taped to the side so that people walking or riding up can not avoid seeing it.
I pledge to talk to all my camp mates about moop in the poop and proper hovering method for those who must hover. I for one am ready to help again.

Thank you Motsky. The big sign idea can work. I'm going to ask HazMatt to get authorization. Making the signs isn't a problem, it's the putting them up that we may need help with. I'll check. I talked to Blue, the DPW manager that put up the blinky lights at the Man banks. He's putting together the plan to expand on this to include all banks. He's looking for personnel.

Ok folks, having just gotten back from Fernley, I'm caught up with sleep and now responses. Thank you very much for your input. Feel free to use this thread to blurt out whatever ideas you come up with... even you DVD.
robbidobbs

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:01 am

Could you contact camps using their emails? (Once they are posted on the main site,) Make it part of the clean up plan? (That would need to pass by Harley, I guess.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

PreviousNext

Return to Get Involved!