first timer wants to play Jazz and experimental

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

first timer wants to play Jazz and experimental

Postby Maseo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:24 pm

This year will be my first going to BM. I wanted to know if there are any camps playin' jazz or experimental music that i could join . I play trumpet and i want to stay around live music.I have a possittive attitude and would deffinately help out around camp .
Maseo

Postby gaminwench » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Look up Golden Cafe in the 2007 boards - live music, nice room, hopping crowd, friendly folks....
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

im on it

Postby Maseo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Already did .. but ty
Maseo

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:21 pm

We're adding a new spin to the Destiny Lounge this year with an upright piano and possibly a small drumset and a stage. No solid plans on what sort of music but I was really missing my piano on the playa last year and feel its going to be a good thing for us! Some sort of impromptu acoustic music experience, etc. All are welcome!
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Gravity Mike » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:17 pm

also try hair of the dog (HOTD). They have a stage and allow guest acts and jams.

Gravity Mike
Gravity Mike

Postby Rat Bastard » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:45 am

First year? Don't worry about getting involved in a camp. If you find one great. More important is to be self reliant. Camp by yourself or with friends you KNOW. Bring your instrument and travel around. Centercamp is a great space to play out. You can play ANYWHERE ANYTIME. You will find your crowd soon enough. Or your crowd will find you.

The only musicians I know is EE Marching Band (Environmental Encrochment). You might fit in with their jam, you might not. They're out of Chicago.

Most importantly you need to understand is bring no expectations. It takes less time to explore the hot spots of Chicago, NY, London and LA then it does to explore half of Black Rock City.

You'll find folks to play with, no doubt. Just go and play. The rest will materialize in front of your eyes without you even knowing it.
Read my posts with a grain of salt.
Rat Bastard

Return to Get Involved!