8 Little Virgins All In A Row.....

8 Little Virgins All In A Row.....

Postby Rewindicus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:53 pm

SO me an my troup of 7 buds are all heading out to burning man we (21-27 years of age and are an eclectic group of BM nubs from the Bay area in california an are made up of poets/DJ's/artists/fire dancers/forest rangers/tattoo artists and theres even an anti social geek who needs to come out of his shell. this site and tribe seems to be full of information but its not very well organized or mabey im just not good at navigation just yet....i guess what im asking is for my little posse are there any veteran burners who have a suggestion for a theme camp to join?

namaste!

Rewindicus :D
Rewindicus

Postby Zulegoona » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:21 pm

Although being part of a theme camp can be a fun and rewording way to go, I it also means in most cases an often significant additional expense and commitment of time. I’d strongly suggest you and your friends set up your own camp, you could do a small event or open your bar to others when you feel like it with out any major commitment to being staffed and up and running any particular times. It will give you a good chance to see more of the city and experience every thing at your own pace. It would also give you a chance to see the various camps and see if there is a group you really click with that you might want to join the next year.
Zulegoona

Postby BitterDan » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:06 am

Set up a small neighborhood bar and people will love you. Neighborhood bars are the best. Wait, did I say that? I mean, PLAZA bars are the best!

MOONSHINE!
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:26 pm

Heya.... come hang out in the Bar Thread, under "Open Discussion"..... You'll meet a lot of folks, and who knows?..... Our theme camp will also be taking on some new folks in the spring..........

BTW...... Welcome Home...............
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

newbie here 2

Postby m_cat » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:47 pm

Rewindicus - I am also a newbie, but so far on my own. I'm having great luck locating all my gear and getting transportation together, but no luck recruiting companions. So far i've been met with a ton of "uh, maybe"s. At least you'll be in good company. The good news is there is a ton of veteran burners in Seattle & I hope to hook up with some of them before I head in.
m_cat

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:55 pm

no need to join a Theme Camp, especially your first year. Theme Camps organize to do big things beyond a typical individual, and to get pre-placement in the "best" regions (Esplanade and Plazas). Theme Camps are supposed to be open 24 hours all week, so come with a huge commitment of labor and expense. Theme Camps typically come with expectations of what you will pay (dues) or do for them both before and during Burningman.

It is very likely that you have no accurate concept of what existing, let alone thriving, in Black Rock City takes. Adding the extra burden of membership in a Theme Camp may overload you your first year. Plenty of time your 2nd+ years to dive into a Theme Camp or Village.

We tell our Virgins that their only task their first year is to survive and not be a burden on anyone else. You may wish to set up a non-Theme Camp of your own in the open areas and soak in the various ways Theme Camps and non-Theme Camps contribute to BRC. Talk to your Neighbor Camps and any Camp that strikes your fancy. Explore. Rest. Repeat.

Some people are worried that they will have to bring everything if they don't join a camp. Well, even camp members are expected to bring everything they need. There are sometimes group projects like showers, but in general you need to bring everything you need for you wether you join a camp or not.

I have done Theme Camps for 7 years now, and am thinking of this year just going down and camping on "F" street or whatever I can find. No reason you have to join a Theme Camp....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Finnegan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:30 pm

Give up all of your time and energy to the Booby Bar. There is no other realistic alternative. Are you cute and nubile? Being female might help quite a lot! I hope this information helps, though there is no reason it would do so.

Welcome to the Disinformation Network! Thanks for pleying!

~Finn
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Return to 2008 Theme Camps