Playa Suicide

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Playa Suicide

Postby katskustoms » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:17 am

maybe i will hang my self next year with a american flag roap...

"A Burning Man participant was found dead this morning, hanging from the inside of a two-story high tent, according to Mark Pirtle, special agent in charge for the Bureau of Land Management.

The apparent suicide would be the festival's first in its 21 year history, Pirtle said.

Pershing County coroners are investigating the scene and preparing to remove the body. Pirtle said the man was hanging for two hours before anyone in the large tent thought to bring him down. "His friends thought he was doing an art piece," Pirtle said.

A makeshift morgue is being set up at the law enforcement command center on the outskirts of Black Rock City. Pirtle said authorities can not release information on the dead man's name until next of kin is notified.

The incident has gone unnoticed by most of the 36,000 revelers who have already arrived. The city's population is on pace to hit 46,000, Pirtle said, a fourteen percent increase from last year."
katskustoms

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:23 pm

shitbird
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:07 pm

as if anything that happens to one person in any city is noticed by the other 36,000. Twits.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Official Statement

Postby Audey Lee » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:33 am

Oh. That's interesting. The Official Burning Man eplaya seems to have not yet received the official statement of the tragedy. Let me remedy that:

On the morning of Thursday, August 30th a young man from Colorado chose to end his life in the rafters of a public tent at Comfort & Joy.

Though he was unknown to us, in the wake of his passing we're learning from those who knew him that he was creative, kind, unconventional and smart, and that he was regarded with affection by many.

His final act, committed in solitude, has one lasting effect as it brings us together to mark his passing. To all who have offered our camp their sympathy and support during this time, thank you. To all who knew him, please accept our sincere condolences.

It is estimated that there was an one hour interval between the last visit to the tent by a camp member, and the discovery of the body by a second camp member. It is believed that the tent was unoccupied during this time, and that there were no witnesses to the suicide.

One other individual, not associated in any way with the camp, was in the tent at the time the body was discovered. Emergency personnel were immediately contacted by camp members. Authorities responded within minutes and closed the scene upon arrival.

The Black Rock City Rangers, Sheriffs and other law enforcement officials who assisted us with this incident were very professional, supportive, and helpful to us at a difficult time. We are grateful for their services. We are also thankful for the warm and organized support we have received from the grief counselors from the Black Rock City Mental Health Team. They helped us openly discuss what had happened and come to a shared understanding of the morning's events.

Much of our camp was quarantined while the coroners did their jobs and we canceled that day's events (a yoga class, a queer discussion group, glitter body painting and a watercolor painting workshop).

As a camp, we decided to make a contribution to David Best's Temple of Forgiveness, where people can mourn, remember, write messages and leave items to be ceremonially burned on Sunday night. We felt the rope the young man used represented the terrible violence he committed upon himself and the people around him. By sending the rope up in flames, we hoped to allow some of that pain to disperse. None of us believe that this young man wanted to trouble us with his actions.

The members of Comfort & Joy extend their deepest sympathy to all who knew this young man. Our hearts go out to his family, friends, and special people in his life. Although we will never know or understand him the way you did, he indeed touched us as well, made us grow, and hopefully become better individuals. May the rest of his journey be peaceful and lead him to the joy we all seek in our lives.

We look forward to continuing our mission of creating positive, warm and supportive queer community both in Black Rock City and the Bay Area.

With love and respect,

The Comfort & Joy Family
http://www.playajoy.org
Audey Lee

Postby Zulegoona » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:39 am

Zulegoona

Postby spidermonkey » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:46 am

my heart goes out to this man and his family and friends as well as the comfort and joy camp... truly
fire is wild and untamed, like love...... it can hurt you but you play with it anyways )'(
spidermonkey

Postby xxboydevilxx » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:22 pm

Yeah, a nice young guy...friend and "co-worker" of sorts....but (and with all due respect to C&J Camp and his family) if you're gonna die at the burn...you die by fire...and that's exactly what I wrote in the temple beside the bandana I tacked onto the wooden post inside. It still smelled like him. He's in peace now....thankfully....our friend and family member is in peace!
now onto burning more shit!!!
Chris Ryan - LABM Regional
xxboydevilxx

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:41 pm

I have always looked at suicide as a temporary issue. Not the death itself obviously, but the issues and pain that put someone in the mindset that their death is the only option.

Alwys been my opinion that if you can prevent someone from ending their life then maybe the situation will change. Unfortunately suicide is a hasty decision that is furthered by booze and substance - that makes it very difficult to intervene - I believe that this is the only suicide playa side for BM I hope it is the last.

Just my thoughts.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Re: Playa Suicide

Postby NFG » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:09 pm

katskustoms wrote:maybe i will hang my self next year with a american flag roap...

Be sure to let us know where and when. I wanna film it for youtube.

PS You spelled rope wrong.
NFG

Return to Get Involved!