Why does Burningman suck now?

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:07 am

Barbie wrote:Other than those minor things- I had the best 2weeks of my life!!!!!!

Feel better?

Aloha.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Barbie » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Yea- thanks I do feel much BETTER!!!!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Totally Confused

Postby Moonpie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:37 pm

I just do not understand this thread. Burning Man is what you make it. Every year is totally different for me. I seek out bizzare costumed people. I seek out street clothed people. The experience is never the same year to year...never "better" or worse...just different.

In fact, people at the same event have totally different experiences. That suggests (or it seems) one can not generalize about any experience at Burning Man and put a global spin on it...that people are universally one way or the other or the event is one way or another...it is just your experience that year with those handful of people you interacted with.

Blow it off when you have a bad experience. There are so many others that are dressed funny (or not at all). Whatever experience you had this year will be different next year...unless you are a boring person and intend on being the same individual next year...
Moonpie

Postby D-Lerious » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:26 pm

Burning may was so much better next year.
D-Lerious

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:18 pm

it would be hard for a lame theme to prevent me from enjoying what I like most about Burning Man: meeting random strangers and feeling like I've known 'em for years, riding my cruiser at night in an euphoric state encountering the most sublime works of art.

The first three days of Burning Man are sheer bliss and the rest of the week is pretty darn good, if not a little crowded.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby blyslv » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:24 pm

I'm fed up with the regionals! Too many gifts, too much fire, too many dammed loopy people running around in silly clothes. Too many naked chicks, I'm sick of the regionals. The landscape was lush and the weather was perfect, who's got time for that? So much free booze it could float a large boat, the regionals are a sucker's game for sure for sure.

Next year I'm going to the playa.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby blyslv » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:25 pm

Miss_Conduct wrote:You know, I wouldn't say Burning Man Sucks. But it is definitely changing for the worse. Waiting in line out there??? We started calling it Disney Man. I want everyone to go to Burning Man. Just not all at once.

It's simple, don't be a sheeple, don't show up when everyone else does!
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:09 am

Barbie wrote..."Okay I have been holding back my bitch fest about this year...But hear goes...the camp I hang with always has a portapottie-its for them-there camp and visitors to bar that really really really HAVE TO GO... "

we put a "DANGER 50,000 VOLTS" (with death skull) sign on our private water closets...it worked like a charm all weekend....

and if anybody sneaked in, we hit them with the electric cattle prod on the way out....

unless they were SUPER cute....
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:25 pm

in which case, of course, we did it twice...
Simon of the Playa

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:20 pm

That second one left a scar.
Expect a docket from my lawyer in the next week.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby erri2000 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:24 am

D-Lerious wrote:Burning man was so much better next year.

You are so right
It is alot like sex,
Some people just don't get it

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
erri2000

Postby Finnegan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:39 pm

I really think that you are correct! BM sucks and nobody should go anymore! Tell all your "friends"!

Looking forward to Not seeing you this year! Well done!
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

buying coffee in center camp is retarded

Postby epic » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:21 am

And asking for a senior discount is stupid. He should have asked for a mentally challenged/handicapped discount.
epic

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:23 am

Maybe this is your reason right here:
http://www.whocanisue.com/
Ugly Dougly

Postby ShyAtShambhala » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:02 pm

Interesting thread from the past here. Funny to see how people in 2007 were a bit bothered at the time, I must wonder how they feel now. There has to be that core group of people who really have their roots tied down to the original burn and I'm sure reactions vary in relation to its nearly exponential growth.

That is why I, as well, am a true believer that Burning Man, or any other festival for that matter is exactly what you make it. The experience you have truly depends on your mindset and level of emotions you are willing to put on the table. No matter what, when you have such a massive gathering of people, sometimes tempers are going to flare and people are going to be unhappy.

The reason I am posting here is that I would like to reopen this thread and see how people react three years later as I continue to take notes of people's interpretation of the burn over the years. I am considering writing an e-book on the history of burning man, in an effort to educate any group or individual who is coming to the festival for the first time.

If there is anybody out there willing to jump in to the conversation please feel free!
ShyAtShambhala

Postby SurlyBDrinkin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:17 am

NOOO! Please come back! Burning Man can't happen with out you. Are you insane? If you don't come the man won't burn. Are you really going to do that to everyone? How could you! I wanted to go to Burning Man this year but if you aren't there... What's the point?

If you are concerned with the actions of others and who's a newbie you might not understand what Burning Man is about either my grumpy friend...
Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin'
SurlyBDrinkin

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:27 am

We have plenty of new shitty threads why do you find it necessary to dig up old shitty ones.

And you were told to take the fucking commerce out of your sig line. You did, and now its returned. No Ads, fuckhole.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Re: Totally Confused

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:13 am

Moonpie wrote:I just do not understand this thread. Burning Man is what you make it. Every year is totally different for me. I seek out bizzare costumed people. I seek out street clothed people. The experience is never the same year to year...never "better" or worse...just different.

In fact, people at the same event have totally different experiences. That suggests (or it seems) one can not generalize about any experience at Burning Man and put a global spin on it...that people are universally one way or the other or the event is one way or another...it is just your experience that year with those handful of people you interacted with.

Blow it off when you have a bad experience. There are so many others that are dressed funny (or not at all). Whatever experience you had this year will be different next year...unless you are a boring person and intend on being the same individual next year...

We all enjoy Burning Man. We're just having fun with this.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:28 pm

07 was a weird farking year, no doubt.

By the way, shyatsham... - I sent you a PM. I would recommed you read it sooner rather than later, ok?

BBS, Mod @ Lrg
ePlaya
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:09 pm

thank you sham for removing your headphones while talking to us.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby 1durphul » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:07 was a weird farking year, no doubt.

BBS, Mod @ Lrg
ePlaya

2007 was my best year. I barely left camp I was having such a good time. Despite The Bad Thing... it still was a great year for me.
1durphul

Postby B the B » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Only been once in '10 but it is interesting to talk to vets and newbies alike and hear the different perspectives on growth. Evolution is important for people as well as events like BM and it's always gonna change, i.e. evolve. It may be not exactly what you would like it to be or what it's been, but rest assured it is exactly what the collective mass of burners make it. We are getting older while virgins get younger. Culture in both the default and playa world is changing, and there is no stopping it. Sure you can do things like what Paul Addis did, and he payed a hefty price, and that was HIS burn. In my opinion, costume elitism is obnoxious, some people just have never been into the whole "appearance" thing. I like the ideas I've seen and read about baiting bike thieves, accosting blatent moopers, and generally fucking with the obvious spectators. I see this kind of stuff as creating a new angle. Hell one of my first experiences out there was a beautiful nude woman named SeaMonster (sp?) in hysterics about a man driving a water truck driving too fast and killing her "Dog". (one of her many animals in her campsite, probably thrown out in front of the truck) Well, a crowd started to form and we all followed her lead. The driver was getting visibly upset and just wanting to continue his work day, while some men were blocking his path and matching his bravado then some. Out of no where some people started medical care on the "Dog" (a stuffed horse), others were arguing with the man demanding he take the "dog" to medical. Wanting in on the action, but also attempting to diffuse a rapidly escalating situation, I pulled up to his window and demanded his license and registration. SeaMonster could have been killed because she layed down in the road in front him out of his line of site, tears running down her face, saying "Just kill me! End it all!" He started to drive and I came very close to having to act fast in making him stop. I've run off on a tangent here but my point is, that was performance art. That was serious too. That was a scene that I think didn't "suck" and could only happen at burning man. But, who knows what the future will bring? Even some of the original burners sell stuff under the radar, and some of the newbies come correct too. I think the important thing is to have an open mind and heart, at least once you pass thru the gate. Hopefully it lasts a year.
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"
B the B

Re: Why does Burningman suck now?

Postby Marscrumbs » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:07 am

Devolution happens. It really was much better when. United consciousness, more original participantion. Now being there feels like a alienating city of clones will gated communities. Luke warm coffee. Lock up you bike.
Marscrumbs

Postby ultraaman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:18 pm

I thot last year's burn (2010) was WORSE than this year's regarding the attendees. I found the newbies last year to be out of touch and too party-oriented, compared to this year when I swear every virgin I met was either very much in the groove or eagerly looking and wanting to find a way to BE at Burning Man. Sure I ran into the party crowd but they've been there since I started coming in 2007.

Which doesn't mean that this burn was better because last year's art was out of this world! I still stare at pics I have of The Dancing Woman or the Butterfly Art Car. Unfortunately I found this year's art was the least original/interesting/multi-layered than previous years (this was my 4th). That's not to say it was any less spectacular but I didn't feel it carried as much meaning/depth as previous years. The temple being a major exception, how amazing was that?!

There also seemed to be fewer theme camps this year than previous years.

I wore only 30% new costumes this year, the rest were repurposed from previous years. I tried to not wear default clothes except one night when I did because I wasn't in the mood. I at least wore a blinkie thing and a funny hat tho lol.

I think people romanticize what was before, which taints their view of the present. But I do understand why people think things have changed...BECAUSE THEY HAVE! They change every year. I'm glad they do. It helps make each year my favorite year.

DZL
"Have the courage to live. Anyone can die" - Robert Cody
ultraaman

Postby Trishntek » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:24 pm

Burning Man does not suck!

Gerlach blows.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:22 am

No... WInds blow. Generates dust. Overtakes Winnemucca. Makes history.

I can think of a LOT of places that belong higher on the "suck" list than Gerlach.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby TheDena » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:08 pm

I'm a newbie who really doesn't mind hearing it was better when. I can't go backwards, I can only go forward.

I think there are some very strong arguments for changing how certain parts of the process are approached, such as ticketing. I hope BORG is looking very seriously at that, but I don't have control over the situation.

Clearly there are too many people attending who are being totally irresponsible about their MOOP. It's pretty alarming, but not hopeless.

Maybe y'all just need some fresh blood, at least until I get my bubble of childlike innocence popped.
TheDena

Postby Marscrumbs » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:19 pm

It's a psych experiment. How suckie can they make it and still have people come back for more. Nothing seems to be working as the numbers keep growing.
Marscrumbs

Postby remi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Questions: If you think it sucks, then why are you still on this forum talking smack? Why are you still planning on buying a ticket? Why are you still gonna go next year? Why spend money and do something that sucks?

Answer: You suck.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby remi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Marscrumbs wrote:It's a psych experiment. How suckie can they make it and still have people come back for more. Nothing seems to be working as the numbers keep growing.

Hahaha. That would be an interesting experiment. Every year make it 50$ more expensive, and make it shittier. See how long the sheep will attend!
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Theme