THE ALL NEW NON-PATRIOTIC 2008 ART THEME

Postby Imagigrl » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:27 am

~~OK, so here's my diatribe PART I~~

BURNING MAN 2008: FAGS OR FIRE

It took me a looong time to get past that one until I told myself it was a type-o and the entry was supposed to be "FLAGS..." And as I've said before, I'm not opposed to flag burning. It is an expression of freedom- as with any free act -not without it's consequences. Although, I'm not sure if flag burners are espousing an end to nationalism itself in their burning of a flag or if they are just targeting a particular political institution such as American style democracy. I'd be more interested in seeing the flags of all nations burned simultaneously and replaced by a world flag... or at least an exact facsimile of the flag that Marvin the Martian planted on the moon before attempting to destroy the Earth and all of its inhabitants with his Uranium Pew-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

I did enjoy the YMCA photo. I often think we have exploited Christ's sacrifice as a means to continually see ourselves as victims and wrong-doers, when all we're really being is human... doomed or blessed to be stumbling and imperfect until the day we die. It could be such a saving grace to accept that one isn't expected to be godly in nature. With godliness comes a lot of responsibility- a realization that Christ must have had when first learning of his imminent crucifixion. Well, either way, when one find oneself becoming too serious and gloomy about religion one watches a Mel Brooks or Monty Python film in the comfort of one's home, doesn't one?

The street names idears are kicking my ass!!! Esp. the fact that fossil fuel consumption well outweighed green energies during the 2007 theme and could be easily discerned just by having a brief look-see around one's camp. Scary, ain't it? Or ain't it? Going green is a change in lifestyle. It's extremely difficult to change ones habits. It's a nice thought, but not very feasible until a major catastrophe or epiphany moves us to change.

OPIUM OF THE MASSES can mean almost anything really... it doesn't have to be just about religion and/or drug experiences. It's a beautiful theme idea to say the least and I think Existentialism, Passon, and Down to Earth (naturalism/humanitarianism, in my mind) may be among the 'category' of belief systems such as religion... you know, the rules by which we live out our lives (and our deaths).

TABULA RASA is a theme the BMORG must embrace sometime in the future! To me it seems there will be a point in the event's life line where rebirth will occur. I'm not sure if it be now or down the road, but I like the theme. It frees my creative soul!

I still want the ZOO theme. Why? Because I want to see an entire playa population dressed up in faux fur animal costuming and wildly unusual and original get ups. I want us all to put ourselves on display and gawk at each other then practice the art of community on a universal level. I want the playa to become so incomprehensibly freaky that even the freakiest, most open-minded Burner struggles to understand what's going on.

Why must we always lay the blame on someone else's shoulders, even Larry's? We are each responsible for our own experiences. If you intend on having a swell time then make it a swell time and you will have it.

POLARITY is quite intriguing. I've been struggling with my own polarity as of late. Pink Floyd and other progressive acid rock artists have helped me relax during it all. Although I know someone who'd interpret that theme as an invitation to don a polar bear costume.

Deep breath.
~Alvays mit wuv. ;x
Imagigrl

Postby Imagigrl » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:55 am

Ok, Diatribe PART II...

((Imagigrl lets a poot escape~~~~~))

Pardon me, but it seems that the nation in which most Burners call home is experiencing a patriotic dilemma at near crisis level. It is not just to say that more and more states in addition to Vermont, Texas, Alaska and Utah will opt for separation from the Union. I think it is more fundamental, essential and deep-seated than that. It is a question of the current status of FREEDOM; a question that everyone seems to have an answer for... or at least an impression thereof.

Where Ya Goin

Freedom
Where ya goin
You're getting thin
Your ribs are shown
~
I've always been a patriot
But I don't like your act
Can anybody tell me
When Freedoms comin back
~
I thought I saw her leavin
In the middle of the night
Someone had packed her bags
She was travelin fast and light
~
So Freedom where ya goin
And when you comin back
You've left this pen alone
To fend off the attack
~
So voices search your conscience
Look deep inside your souls
Go get your Freedom back
Or climb back into your holes

Kimco 7/07
The Steamboat Local

Freedom

Ducktaped hatchback
clanked, as tires spun,
as rusted red steel
mowed through the dusty summer.

Freedom

Olive arms reaching
out into dry,
heat blowing wind.

Voices screaming
over Bob Marley and Steve Miller.

Wet hair tangling
around black sunglasses.

Swimsuits and bare feet,
stiff with drying mud
from the warm San Juan River.

Our freedom

Sun bleached and faded red,
falling apart,
'79 Toyota Celica.

Heather 7/07
The Steamboat Local

I think that encouraging us as Patriots to focus only upon the positive things that the Union and American style democracy has manifested is like putting blinders on us all. It is highly unproductive to ignore the errors of a Nation, no matter that we and our elected leaders are only human and thereby steadfast to commit the errors, some repeatedly so. It's not impossible to ignore the errors of our Nation's ways, but haven't we done so long enough?
~Alvays mit wuv. ;x
Imagigrl

Postby lurker » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:30 am

I think that encouraging us as Patriots to focus only upon the positive things that the Union and American style democracy has manifested is like putting blinders on us all. It is highly unproductive to ignore the errors of a Nation, no matter that we and our elected leaders are only human and thereby steadfast to commit the errors, some repeatedly so. It's not impossible to ignore the errors of our Nation's ways, but haven't we done so long enough?

Ignore? Who says ignore? Has there been a single Burning Man in which at least some of the art or sentiment called our errors into high visibility?

We do not ignore our errors in this country--we castigate ourselves for them. we fight wars with ourselves over them. We endlessly try to make our civil lives live up to the exquisite verbiage that exists in our founding documents.

And sometimes we fail.....so we try again.

The theme is not about ignoring errors, it's about what could be.

What would you make of this? What is your dream? Even 'what would you fix?'

Why is it so hard for people to see this?
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"
lurker

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:55 am

lurker wrote:We do not ignore our errors in this country--we castigate ourselves for them. we fight wars with ourselves over them. The theme is not about ignoring errors, it's about what could be.

Ahhh, a breath of sanity. Well said!

I still think the theme is weak because it invites Defaultia turmoil into my one-week of escape and because 90% of us will, indeed. interpret it negatively. (But am I being negative in my assumption?)

I would like to think that Burners are far too creative, imaginative and original to burn the US flag, particularly while enjoying themselves in a country where such an event is possible. I hope I'm right, I fear I'm not.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby storyteller » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:54 am

Burning Man 2008: Power

Streets:

Absolute
Benevolent
Creative
Destructive
Electric
Force
Gravity
Hierarchy
Imagination
storyteller

Postby woven » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:09 pm

from a friend

...and the mountains laughed with the desert floor at the little humans and their funny ideas. "before we were just mountians and desert, now it seems, were in america!"

children of the earth, turn away from the things that divide you. leave those who swear their allegance to america and her leaders to their 'american dreams' and pray for them. no good will come from joining together and ridiculing or taunting her dying, desperate regimes and social structures, some of which still serve you (it is also unnecessarily dangerous).
you have dreamed a new dream. you have litterally, individually and collectively taken on a leading edge role in a sociological paradigm shift whether you know it or not. your dream has taken form and you've begun to live it. celebrate and embrace that! be thankful for that! and if the actions of your leaders do not result in unifying you and inspiring your dream, then simply replace them with the ones who will. ~~~
behold the sacred childrens mystic fire shall rise up through trinities eye... and she will gather them once again
woven

we all need to drop the theme or eat larrys kidneys

Postby playafucker » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:23 am

BY the by IMG

it was

Fags or Fire

it was no typo.

Its funny. I haven't been on here for awhile and I forgot that I posted that. When I found it on the page I laughed out loud, thinking, who is the funny person that wrote that...Oh..wait ...It was me. Your so funny. Then I thought why is everyone so lame?

anyways

Yes

FAGS or FIRE

An exploration in the extreme and the dainty. Do you come to burning man to get into chaotic side of life? The entropy of self creativity run wild. Not holding back one bit with the confrontation of your fear. Or do you come to fag out? Are you the fire or are you the fag? Will take a vile of acid and not sleep all seven days? Or are you going to take a pill of e and listen to trance dressed like a cowboy and then complain to your Peruvian boyfriend all night how all these people are stupid? Will you cover your body in gas and light it up then shoot guns all night past the trash fence, screaming at god for the endless existence, or do you want to dress like a sloppy fat bunny with fake fur and the scarest etard lipstik face ever.

Its your choice

BUT REALLy

SHould'nt the theme be

PEOPLE

because that is what this is all about

it is certainly not the place. Its the middle of fucking nowhere and there is no water or trees. Do you really think if there where not all us nuts out there most people would ever go camp at black rock?

NOT

this theme this year is great

burning man is a entity that could only arise from something like america

and anyone who is smart enough will know what I am talking about..

and for you senstive ones who cant let go in a atmosphere that might be slightly inntellectual

2008: Butterfly's and Kitten cotton candy
I can
playafucker

Re: we all need to drop the theme or eat larrys kidneys

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:41 am

playafucker wrote:burning man is a entity that could only arise from something like america
I'm not quite certain that I understand what you're saying here. But I've never believed similier claims; it seems so obvious to me that Burningman is simply the latest in a long line of estatic festivals, including, but not limited to Mardi Gras, the Rites of Dionysis, Potlatch (okay, that's american--if it existed) and Saturnalia.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

fags or fire

Postby SFbrothermichael » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:46 am

To Playafucker,
will YOU "cover your body in gas and light it up???"

If so, I suppose you'll be making a lot of American Dreams come true for many of us.
SFbrothermichael

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:58 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:
lurker wrote:We do not ignore our errors in this country--we castigate ourselves for them. we fight wars with ourselves over them. The theme is not about ignoring errors, it's about what could be.

Ahhh, a breath of sanity. Well said!

I still think the theme is weak because it invites Defaultia turmoil into my one-week of escape and because 90% of us will, indeed. interpret it negatively. (But am I being negative in my assumption?)

I would like to think that Burners are far too creative, imaginative and original to burn the US flag, particularly while enjoying themselves in a country where such an event is possible. I hope I'm right, I fear I'm not.

Make that man President!

Then throw him in the fire!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

angry fag

Postby playafucker » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:07 pm

Burning is such an extension of capitalism .
what is more american than a bunch of white people playing with all there shit for a week
doing whatever they want beyond the moral satus quo. Spending enormous amounts of money.

BURNING MAN ONLY EXISTS BECAUSE OF CAPITALISM

Maybe it wasn't when it was just cacophony people camping and shooting guns. But at this point it is totally something sustained by the American Capitol system.

Sure its possible to argue that it could of happened other places. But you can say that about anything.

I think this is a good theme this year because people will have to get more keyed into where they are. Which isn't such a bad thing. Can you radically express with out having to deny reality? The reality that the theme will bring up being that. You in a country that lets you do this.

I am just tired of people hating America and then eating from it. It's so lame. i do it to and i hate myself when i do it.

We are all such picky assholes.
Maybe its time to appreciate what we have and stop pretending it's us and them.

whatever blah blah blah

gas is money
homos are easily offended
most people at burning man
are looking for the dream hook up
making there dreams come true
want to manifest
more more more for me
give me stimulus or give me death
I need to feel it more
play that awful music

look like a disabled candy raver etard

but who cares about art?

Who's here to really express?

To bring forth vision?

Putting on bunny ears on dancing all night is not radical expression

STOP LYING TO YOURSELVES
STOP LETTING THE SUCK HAPPEN
this is your burn
this is your country
this is not your planet

you CAN BE WHOEVER YOU WANT
to be
or not

will this become our new god?

I finally went an orgy and smoked DMT as i was coming now I wish
that trance would stop and all the serious artists would join together to make art and everyone else go home

I WIS
H
I COULD LIGHT MY SELF O
N FIRE
I can
playafucker

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:31 pm

I think I'm in love.. in a strictly platonic set each others pants on fire kinda way.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:37 am

I don't have a fag to wave since I don't smoke.

However if Burningman was free maybe nobody would show up.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Previous

Return to 2008 Theme