How I Met David Best (And Took His Keys)

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:19 pm

Yeah I love the old photos and info... very cool. When I was in elementary school in Nashua NH around 1965-66, we had air raid drills where we ran to the basement. And I seem to recall monthly testings of the air raid siren on the 1st Saturday at 10:00am or something like that.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

......... EAT, SHIT, AND DIE .......

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:15 am

Well, well well.....

Here's my 2 cents.

I do realise that when I'm at the Burn to expect certain unconventional things, but I can honestly say this, if Mr. Best had pulled in front of my tent and set that air horn off that early in the morning, I too would have also run out, however the difference would have been that I would have summerily proceeded to give him what we from the south call "a good ol' fashion country ass whooping", then proceeded to destroy his little toy. That type of shit would be fine over on the esplande or out on the playa, but deep in the heart of the city, and that early in the morning, is not acceptable. I am not going to start a conversation, steal your keys, or go get rangers, I will just start right in on your well deserved ass kicking. Maybe for the sake of my artist expression (in true burningman tradition) I would finish with the Fatality Blow of setting your shit on fire.

This type of acts harken back memories of the guys with the megaphone yelling obsenities at the little girl. If you believe for one second that being an asshole at the burn is some kind of badge of honor, just think of the red-ass beatdown as a gift. (i.e. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... s+beatdown ) Fuck you your mother and the air horn that blew that slag bitch in.

clear enough?

have a happy burn.

your bestest pal,

the rebbi

of course that's just my 2 cents.
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:52 am

I agree - I would have taken his keys, and simply kept them. Your a good man for trying to give them back.

Some people develop an unwarranted sense of entitlement, that may come from years and years of receiving grants year after year. n This makes some people think that they are better than thou somehow, or are entitled to do what they want at BM regardless of what others think.

I have a quick trigger, and am a light sleeper so this would have hit home for me. I am not about vandalism, but would have had no problem taking those keys, and if given much crap about giving them back I would have shoved those keys up his ass sideways.

Just MHO later
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:13 pm

The question isn't about what any of you people might have done -- the question is, if you were a Black Rock Ranger, would you do *whatever* and then brag about it anonymously on the eplaya?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:18 pm

"You people" - What do you mean by "You People"?

later
mdmf007

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:38 pm

I guess it includes you, if you post your violent fantasies anonymously to the eplaya.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:03 am

lol -

And for the record - I may be picking my nose, but NEVER eat them, almost never
mdmf007

Postby Token » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:30 pm

Dustdevil wrote: I would love to bring it back to the desert next year if BM wants it.

YES!!! Bring it back!

I'll drop a Jackson or two into a Paypall account for the return of Victory!
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Re: ......... EAT, SHIT, AND DIE .......

Postby wedeliver » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:52 pm

Your post below is really scary. It is one thing for you to express your displeasure with someone else's activities but I think it is over the line when you start threatening violence. Have you beat up anyone at burning man yet? Do you bring any weapons with you to the burn? What other bothersome things might you find so offensive that you would turn to violence?

Rabbi Dali Rick wrote:Well, well well.....

Here's my 2 cents.

I do realise that when I'm at the Burn to expect certain unconventional things, but I can honestly say this, if Mr. Best had pulled in front of my tent and set that air horn off that early in the morning, I too would have also run out, however the difference would have been that I would have summerily proceeded to give him what we from the south call "a good ol' fashion country ass whooping", then proceeded to destroy his little toy. That type of shit would be fine over on the esplande or out on the playa, but deep in the heart of the city, and that early in the morning, is not acceptable. I am not going to start a conversation, steal your keys, or go get rangers, I will just start right in on your well deserved ass kicking. Maybe for the sake of my artist expression (in true burningman tradition) I would finish with the Fatality Blow of setting your shit on fire.

This type of acts harken back memories of the guys with the megaphone yelling obsenities at the little girl. If you believe for one second that being an asshole at the burn is some kind of badge of honor, just think of the red-ass beatdown as a gift. (i.e. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... s+beatdown ) Fuck you your mother and the air horn that blew that slag bitch in.

clear enough?

have a happy burn.

your bestest pal,

the rebbi

of course that's just my 2 cents.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Re: ......... EAT, SHIT, AND DIE .......

Postby DoctorIknow » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:10 pm

Rabbi Dali Rick wrote:Well, well well.....
...I would have summerily proceeded to give him what we from the south call "a good ol' fashion country ass whooping", then proceeded to destroy his little toy. [/i]

I bet many of us awakened in such a manner might WANT to do exactly that.

My first year, third morning at sunrise, this amplified voice, seemingly right next to my tent, is obnoxiousating at 100db. I jumped outta the tent only to see some pathetic guy with a mic pulling a little red wagon with an amp. Fortunately, my anger turned to mild amusement, but it could have gone in a violent direction..... it had years before when I was flying to Europe in the top deck of a 747 and the pilot came on the PA about every 30 minutes with some useless informational talk....delivered in that fake good 'ol boy accent they used to have.... anyway, he woke me and I jumped outta my seat, ran 5 steps to his cockpit door, and banged on it really hard for almost a minute screaming "shut the fuck up, asshole." Fortunately for me, it was WAY before flight attendents got the power of a star chamber marshall to handcuff and tape your mouth shut for looking at 'em sideways...

Anyway, perhaps that outburst on the plane, which I didn't even know I had in me, let me deal with the loud rudeness at BM in an acceptable fashion to me.

I think we can all understand David Best's siren response to his (or his camps) sleep being denied by partially deaf DJ's playing to partially deaf dancers (they won't know for quite a few years), we can understand taking of the keys, cutting wires, talking to him, running across the playa to "get him", getting the Rangers involved, punchin' him out, too!

BTW, I bet David Best would have preferred a punch to his face rather than his compressor being disabled. Didn't they use compressors to power all their nail guns to assemble the Temple? Might this one not been one of those?

Also, I believe he is partially deaf, as I saw him without any ear protection standing right in front of his siren for about 20 minutes one day.
DoctorIknow

Postby HughMungus » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:40 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:for all the light sleepers who come to Burning Man for some peace and quiet.

We don't come for peace and quiet but can't there be SOME peace and quiet SOMETIME? I can't stay awake for a week. Can you?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby HughMungus » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:42 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:
karine wrote:- MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Sure, I'll just pick up my 20 member theme camp and relocate

Not to mention that there's no guarantee that wherever you move to there will be some other camp that's always loud.

I think we should go back to loud/not-so-loud camp placement. At least then people can make informed and conscious decisions about where to camp.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby barnz » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:55 pm

HughMungus wrote:I think we should go back to loud/not-so-loud camp placement. At least then people can make informed and conscious decisions about where to camp.

Sorry if I'm being too new. Isn't that what we have now, with the "loud" camps being at 2 and 10?
~~~~~~~~
known on the Playa (especially Ranger Radios) as HOOPY FROOD.

"A towel … is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have." – Douglas Adams
barnz

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:24 pm

Mr. Best himself in essense admits that going without sleep is really nasty.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lonestoner916 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:19 pm

David Best, like most geniuses, appears to be more than a little megalomaniacal. Given the beauty of his temples though, I think a little rudeness and a giant airhorn are a small price to pay. Not saying he was right, just that maybe he should get a pass considering all he does for the community. I must say, he sounds like he would be really fun to fuck with, people with short fuses generally are. :twisted:
lonestoner916

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:25 pm

Best had already decided that fucking with someone was the appropriate response to sleep loss. He can dish it out and not take it? Perhaps rudeness is the way to make sure you don't lose out any time that could be given to genius' 99% perspiration.
*shrug*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby mars » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:15 am

I dunno...I just think the entire story is really funny!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby Plastic G'zus » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:59 pm

My campmates and I joked about taking airhorns to the temple burn. Had I known about Best's airhorn I probably would have. Not out of protest, because that would be hipocrytical (we woke up our neighborhood at dawn on tuesday with a chain of bullhorns and a rooster), but simply because turnabout is fair play. Pranks add vitality to our comunity {drink} and no one should be considered off limits no matter who they are. From what I've read here it sounds like Best could use a few good prankings. Even artists need to be reminded sometimes that they are not above the rest of us. Also, all that solemness really creeps me out.
Make love to anything. Make war on everything.
Plastic G'zus

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:09 pm

Out of respect for the others at the temple burn who find it a time of healing, forgiveness and moving on I dont think airhorns are appropriate. I hate t when the artcars pull up an start pounding the tech when there are 30000 people sitting quietly, some crying for loss, others wrought with grief - i would like to see the artcars banned from the temple, but thats me. I am all about personal liberty and freedoms. That freedom comes at a price though, as someone may snag your keys, or simply tune up a WWII air raid siren aimed at your camp.

I like Mr. Best's art, and look forward to it every year. I also know that many other artists would do an excellent job as well. The Sistine Chapel it is not.

Last observation - this is the first year I can recall a wave at the temple burn? anyone?

later
mdmf007

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:21 pm

It was a particle.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby sputnik » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:32 pm

hahahahahahaha
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:58 am

it was a particle guided by a de Broglie-Bohm propogation wave!
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Mr.MaskedDude » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:36 pm

perhaps its a wavicle, some piece of subatomic whatnot that has both wave and particle like aspects, heard about it as an aside in this article about Super Massive Blackholes (which are evidently present in every galaxy even ours)
Burning Man Virgin
Mr.MaskedDude

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:32 pm

I better check with my nephew on those super massive black holes.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby wedeliver » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:46 am

This noise issue is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black or telling people not to dance at a rock and roll concert.

First of all, I have respect for Teo, DVD..etc all you folks out there that NEED sleep at burningman in order to have fun. Also it seems that unlike myself you cannot find rest or sleep except in the darkest of hours at night. If you notice the time of this post, I don't sleep all night, an automatic alarm goes off at 4:00am every fucking day of my life, I could go to sleep at 3:00am and I would still wake up at 4:00 (been more like 4:20 recently) but I can lay down at anytime during the day if I feel tired and get enough sleep/rest (nap). Try it you'll like it.

On of my campmates drove around town durning the eclipse and using a very effective megaphone got a few people to stumble out of bed and see the event, unknown to him but there was also the man burning at the same time. I would like to think that if one person got up, looked outside, saw the moon (that was in total eclipse), saw the man burning, that this person would wake up another and so on and so forth...

I have heard talk of banning this and banning that, I hope we realize what we might really be banning when we stop someone from being. When the guy took Best's keys he took something from the event, one less spark, one less unexpected event. I have to wonder if perhaps the event has allready lost a little spark and that is what made the orginal poster on this thread take David's keys. Because there is a lack of sound at night some might expect that nice nights sleep to continue, if we all went to bed with lots of sounds outside perhaps we would not awake upset if the volume got a bit loud for a few minutes..

A few years ago, someone came over and unplugged some friends one night, so my friends up and moved...

Perhaps a shitty option for the sleepers is to consider taking your bed roll out to the "real" camping area.. no noise out in the walk in or hushville.. Get your sleep at night , then come back to the noisy BRC.

I don't go to burningman to rest, I go to experience... I will be in your dreams this year, because I know what you are dreaming about.

and if you hear my call, expect the unexpected......you dream, i dream, we all dream.....

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Mr.MaskedDude » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:39 pm

id argue that he took nothing from the event. he just interacted with what that guy was doing. The guy went around in the early morning hours sounding an air horn (making noise) because he was pissed off at another group for playing their music (making noise) and was trying to stop them.

When confronted about waking up blocks and blocks of BMers (making too much noise too late at night) he told them they shouldnt take offense because he didnt intend to annoy them, but to annoy the ravers (as he thought they were making too much noise too late at night).

This guy just participated in the whole deal by taking the key to the thing. It didnt hurt anyone and made a cogent point. He even empathised (sp?) with the guy and so returned his keys to him as part of a nice little package.

Bottom line the one dude was just participating in part of BM, the other was being a hypocrit. I've decided you make too much noise so im going to do something about it....but wait that guy over there cant do anything about the noise im making. Then when confronted in a most non-confrontational manner, gets up his own ass talking about how all his contributions give him super human status. What a douche.
Burning Man Virgin
Mr.MaskedDude

Re: How I Met David Best (And Took His Keys)

Postby wedeliver » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:30 pm

try_me wrote:David Best is a renowned artist...On Wednesday morning of Burning Man, a blast from an air horn woke me up. Before I was even fully awake, I snatched up my glasses and ran, completely naked, out of bed, out of the dome, and through our camp into the street. I looked both directions and didn't see anything that looked like an air horn, but then I heard it again, out by the playa on the other side of 10:00, and I took off in that direction. As I came out onto the playa, I saw the air-horn car. It was a motorized, three-wheeled riding vehicle towing a trailer. On the trailer was an air compressor about the size and shape of one of those car-top cargo carriers. A mast stuck up from the front of the trailer and two air horns were attached to the top of it.
.....I took advantage of the driver's distraction to circle around the back of the trailer and examine the compressor. On the back of the compressor was a start/run switch and a key. ...I walked back to the compressor, took out the keys, and dashed back to my camp as fast as I could. There was no more air horn for the rest of the burn. Every morning, we slept until the heat forced us out of the dome...

David Best was out in the open Playa on the otherside of Large Scale Sound Art. It was daytime and apparently a number of people up and about. I doubt that he brought the air horn to for anyother reason but that he could. I really doubt that he was motivated by revenge but instead with a desire to share. In this thread it seems that people would have me believe that David Best brought this air horn to bother, annoy and piss off people rather then as another manner of expression. I was camped at 9:45 between E and F and I never was bothered by any airhorns.

You folks that really hate the noise or having an alive city under you while you sleep might wanna be careful what you wish for. Just my 10 cents (inflation)

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Mr.MaskedDude » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:02 pm

This is a Quote -->"He explained that he was blowing the air horn because there was a sound camp nearby that he didn't like, and he blew the horn in the morning in response to their music. "You're waking up everybody in a three-block radius," I said. He seemed to think that I would take some solace in knowing that his intent was to target the sound camp" <-- That was a Quote

If you bothered to read the whole post you'd see that he talked to Mr. Best who confirmed that was just doing it to bother the Sound guys.

(edit: evidently i dont know how to properly quote things)
Burning Man Virgin
Mr.MaskedDude

Postby Mr. Opportunity » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:03 am

Solution is easy, just burn his fucking camp down.

I have heard people say that all the time at the man. If you don't like something, burn their camp to the ground.

And to paraphrase Phil, if he is to stupid to wake up then just stand by and watch the show. Radical Self Reliance right?

But hey that only happens to the "Right" people, now doesn't it :evil:
I am going vegan.
You can still eat souls, right?
Those are vegan. I think.
Mr. Opportunity

Postby wedeliver » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:57 am

Mr.MaskedDude wrote:This is a Quote -->"He explained that he was blowing the air horn because there was a sound camp nearby that he didn't like, and he blew the horn in the morning in response to their music. "You're waking up everybody in a three-block radius," I said. He seemed to think that I would take some solace in knowing that his intent was to target the sound camp" <-- That was a Quote

If you bothered to read the whole post you'd see that he talked to Mr. Best who confirmed that was just doing it to bother the Sound guys.

(edit: evidently i dont know how to properly quote things)

I don't think he brought the Air Horn planning on using it in that manner and that if David Best did say the above it was in response to a question for someone who probably looked very upset. (and if it was the Green Gorilla Lounge that he was aiming for, I could understand) :)

I expect, hope for, and dream about all the wild rides coming this year.

Do we want David Best to stay away, to not bring his toys? Are we going to tell an artist how to use and display their art.

Do we want the large scale sound stages closed?

It is so quite in BRC at night the last couple of years that it doesn't seem like BurningMan at times, but like Woodland Hills, Ca. The only people out and about are LEO's and the tweakers. Perhaps for our safety and comfort we should have some kind of noise curfew.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man