Tis the season...

All things outside of Burning Man.

Tis the season...

Postby stuart » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:52 pm

... for planning.

When do you start your hardcore sit down and strategizing? Are you well on your way, still pipedreaming, or somehwere inbetween?
stuart

Postby NaughtySnowAngel » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:35 pm

I am somewhere in between....obviously I have been asking TONS of questions here to get an idea of exactly what I need to bring with me, what I can purchase in Reno, and what I need to make, etc, etc.

The group I am camping with will sit down and start going over details very soon (at least that is what the letter in the mail I got yesterday said...heehee!)

I find it funny that you posed this question today, as I decided that this weekend I will make out my packing list and things to do list for my great trek to the desert!

I also need to get cracking on my "gifts to give"....need to finalize plans and get all my materials.....I have to do this now because as soon as summer hits I will not have the patience to sit inside and make a thousnad of anything!

What about you?? What is your plan Stan?
NaughtySnowAngel

Postby Dustdevil » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:49 pm

At this point I have started work on a few "enhancements" for my fire art project from 2003. I finished my project 2 hours before I left for the Playa. Everything worked really well, but I was so far out on the Playa that few really got to enjoy it. I will be in much closer in 2004 and the upgrades I have started working on will add a great deal to the effect. I have also started on my gifting idea for 2004. That will take some time as well. As far as travel plans go....living in the SF Bay Area does have some real advantages. I don't worry about packing until early August.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby 68barracuda » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:42 am

Well,

So much to do and only so much time. One of each dome frame has been assembled, hardware is ordered, fabric patterns are laid out and masonite cutting patterns are ready, a supplier of 6oz white blended cotton and polyester fabric has been located, fabric waterproofing tests have been completed, and all the tools are setup.

Our camp kitchen is outfitted with all the necessary supplies including stoves and propane accessories. Still need to get a distribution tree and hoses to run propane to the stoves and propane lanterns. Checked out Bass Pro shops tonight and they have everything I've just got to figure out the layout then buy the components. I already have half a dozen 20lb propane bottles filled and ready to go. Now just have to finish designing the workstation/cases, build them, and finish them.

Working on designing various pieces of fabric and wood furniture that breaks down. I have got the bed frames for platform framed four poster beds designed. The folding nightstands, clothes armoirs, trunks, and dressers are in the rough stages of design.

Scrapped the water tower idea for much simpler 13 gallon buckets with individual pumps and propane water heaters for long, hot showers :wink: ... So much easier with less reliance on solar heating, long pipe runs, and complicated valving assemblies. Also decided that one large stagnant evaporation pond was not such a good idea so smaller ones with active pumps and screening for individual showers and sinks would be more efficient.

Speaking of showers.. :D My wonderful next door neighbor dropped off a bunch of 2", 3" and 4" thick styrofoam panels this afternoon. I'll be using a hot wire saw to shape them for lightweight 30" by 60" shower pans. Once shaped and the pieces bonded together they will be coated with latex paint and fiberglassed for strenth. Then I have to make the wooden slat panels and conduit frames for the shower curtains and clamped Rainbird spray heads.

Picked up two free 5hp lawnmower engines to make 12v generators with GM 62/82amp altenators. I'll get altenator cores from a local salvage yard and rebuild them or trade them for rebuit units. I also got some 14gauge 1" tubing and some 3/16" plate for building the wheeled frames.

Following Precipitate's suggestions I am putting together battery and inverter packages to run flourescent bulbs and christmas lights inside the domes. I'm also going to bring old fashion oil lamps for my personal dome and one other responsible campmate's dome. They will be charged off the 12v generators during the day and we'll have quiet power during the evenings.

Our art car base (riding lawnmower) has been dissasembled and major components have been taged. I don't know if we'll get to it this year but it should be ready for 2005. We never really decided what kind of art car and until a theme is announced there really isn't a point to work on it. It is last on the list anyway. A rolling bar is a universal favorite.

I got my Cheaper than Dirt shippment in with goggles, dust masks, ponchos, queen sized air matresses, and various bags for gear. I have some extra window tint from my truck so I'm tinting a couple sets of the goggles for bright sunshine. Much cheaper than buying fancy tinted goggles and they seal really well.

Well, thats about it.

Mike
Unless you push your limits how will you ever know where they are?

welcome to my lair.. said the spider to the fly...
68barracuda

Postby Tancorix » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:52 am

I'm already starting to plan some stuff out, mainly how to cut down on the stuff I take out there. I take the scenic route from KC through Colorado and through the 11,000 ft. Eisenhower tunnel. I want to be able to pull the trailer up that grade with traffic which means 70-75 mph. So some of the weight has to go.

I am working on a shower, a 3 wheeled art bike, and a generator shielding box that muffles but can handle the heat of the genny box. I'm also reinforcing my trailer so I can take the last part of Jungo Road at 30 mph and not 10 to 15 mph.
Tancorix

Postby Iago » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:18 pm

It all started many years ago as a way of expanding my horizons and now has turned into a great reunion of friends and family, both on and off the playa. I just don't take it that seriously anymore and found that I get to have a better time each year. That's the most important lesson I have learned from that Ol' Stick Man....
Iago

Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: I Camp Remember

Return to Open Discussion