Military Aircraft

Military Aircraft

Postby BingoBarnes » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:46 am

Can anyone explain the numerous military aircraft I saw this year? Two jets doing a daytime flyby, blackhawk helicopters around the perimeter, big cargo planes doing low flybys and one night just after dusk I saw a big Chinook do a couple laps around the man. It looked like the same kind of helicopter that the president flies in.

Anyone else see these? Not paranoid, just curious.
BingoBarnes

Postby Kinetik V » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:58 am

My hunch? It was aircraft flying in and out of NAS Fallon.
http://www.fallon.navy.mil/
They were most likely taking a good look as they came through, a nice diversion of sorts. It's not every day you get a chance to see all those semi-naked people running around doing crazy shit in the desert and all that cool art.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby misfit » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:12 am

one of the military aircraft was a russian mig fighter belonging to a brc participant.....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

military jets strafing the playa!

Postby bailiff of Sparseland » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:54 pm

the one day we did have two military jets flying around the playa. I had not seen those in years before. They flew a couple of strafing runs and then would make a big loop around. Pretty loud and unmistakable as what they were.

I thought they might be Mirage jets with the color scheme they had. Mig would fit the shape also.
the mind is a beautiful thing once you get the skull out of the way!
bailiff of Sparseland

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:06 pm

allegedly the President did a flyby of BM on Tuesday (on his way thru Reno).
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:07 pm

A lot of Navy personel from NAS Fallon attend. Rumor was that one of the pilots is a burner, and could not get time off.

later
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby YouBlowDeadBear » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:11 pm

Indeed the military aircraft are a result of Fallon NAS being to the south and the Nevada Air National Guard out of Reno-Tahoe International Airport. I don't have my aeronautical charts for that area handy but I do know there are ALOT of military training routes (MTR's) and military operations areas around there (MOA's) so they probably detoured on their way back from training. At different points there were F-18's flying around along with F-5's painted in "agressor" colors. There were some old Yak's (I don't remember what model.) flying around most of the week as well. I did see the C-130 as well. I haven't heard anything from my military friends about the president flying by but that doesn't mean he didn't- But personally I doubt it.

Just on an aviation note though, the old Lithuanian Airlines plane at the spaceport was my favorite. Me being of direct Lithuanian descent it was awesome to see and the "Come Fly With Me" Frank Sinatra poster on it this year topped it off because- Well, come on! Frank is the shizzznittle. :P
"That's going to go in there?!?!?!"
"Meat hug."
YouBlowDeadBear

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:58 am

They were Yak-52's. What fun planes!!! Wheee!!! And the Antonov? I want one of those so much... too bad they're so damn hard to get certificated by the FAA to fly here. BUt talk about flying in your theme camp? Yeahhh...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:36 am

I'll bet the flyboys couldn't resist checking out the scene.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby duke of weimar » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:21 pm

ugly, do you really think we caused a scene?
duke of weimar

Postby BitterDan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:44 am

The jets were my art project. You're welcome.
BitterDan

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:55 am

Hey, the Pentagon had to have a bake sale to get those planes!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Military Aircraft

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:34 pm

BingoBarnes wrote:Can anyone explain the numerous military aircraft I saw this year? Two jets doing a daytime flyby, blackhawk helicopters around the perimeter, big cargo planes doing low flybys and one night just after dusk I saw a big Chinook do a couple laps around the man. It looked like the same kind of helicopter that the president flies in.

Anyone else see these? Not paranoid, just curious.

The President doesn't fly in a Chinook (which has twin rotors. HMX-1, "Marine One", only has one.)

But, Imagine If You Will: You're Joe National Guard Reserve on your two-weeks-a-year drill, flying over the same dry lakebed as usual, maybe never heard of Burning Man at all. Suddenly there's a giant weird-ass circular city with planes circling around and fire shooting up through the middle of it where there's supposed to be miles of white nothingness.
You've Just Flown Into...The Twilight Zone.

World's biggest Unidentified NonFlying Object. I'd love to have heard their intercom/cockpit chatter.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Valkyrie » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:50 pm

I saw that chinook, too. (It was definitely a 2-rotor helicopter.) I commented on it to someone who mentioned how much fuel it takes to fly those things. Not a random sighting, I understand. I heard a rumor that they had to fly in replacement parts for the man. There's a certain plausibility for that.
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.
Valkyrie

Postby Aiee! It burns! » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:23 am

You know ufos have learend to maskerade as ordinary earth air craft
So you might have seen a ufo

think aboiut that.
Aiee! It burns!

Postby Valkyrie » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:27 am

Wouldn't that then be a CFO? A Covert flying object, since we think we've identified it, but it's not what we think it is?

I'm sure the CIA uses them all the time to spy on the unsuspecting American public.
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.
Valkyrie

Return to 2007 Art & Performance