Scooters

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Scooters

Postby stoxpert » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:49 am

I believe that scooters should be banned. They are noisy and polluting. Get a bike!
stoxpert

Re: Scooters

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:08 am

someone else wrote:I believe that drums and fires should be banned. They are noisy and polluting.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby MikeVDS » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:06 pm

I believe you should get kicked in the nuts. They just dangle there and it looks like a fun place to kick.
MikeVDS

Postby Toolmaker » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:20 pm

I believe in the Tooth Fairy.
Toolmaker

Postby DoriumLux » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:01 pm

I'm not a fan of the scooters. I hardly EVER see someone obey the speed limit. They are always zipping by and usually without lights.
DoriumLux

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:11 am

I totally don't remeber posting anything about the tooth fairy last year.

Must have been higher than towelie.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:24 pm

Scooters suck.

Weren't as many of them this year. Quite a few Segues this year, though, although I don't think we've seen the realization of the art-Segue yet.

Seemed like a remarkably good year, overall, right up until the tourists shows up on Friday. That -really- dampened the mood around the city this year. Put yer goddamn golf/hiking/college clothes and your digital cameras away and participate forfucksake.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby DoriumLux » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:13 pm

[quote="ZaphodBurner"]Scooters suck.

Weren't as many of them this year. Quite a few Segues this year, though, although I don't think we've seen the realization of the art-Segue yet.

Seemed like a remarkably good year, overall, right up until the tourists shows up on Friday. That -really- dampened the mood around the city this year. Put yer goddamn golf/hiking/college clothes and your digital cameras away and participate forfucksake.[/quote]

I generally dislike scooter riders.

However, I do feel that I saw an explosion of regular golf carts with a few dinky"decorations" zooming around.
DoriumLux

SPEED LIMITS/ART CARS RV'S AND DUST

Postby pignome » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:44 am

AGREED. SPEEDING WAS A MAJOR PROBLEM THIS YEAR.

I don't want people to be limited in what they can and can't do but somethings got to give. Folks were moving too fast this year. Clouds of dust became a huge hazard on Sunday Night and people were in serious danger.

But if we are going to start limiting things, how about we start with banning RV's who run generators all day long.

Or at least lets place RV Camps near the edge of the circle to help with a wind block for the city. So much space is taken up by RV's and more times that not used to block street life.

The streets are for people to visit and walls of RV's do not help the street culture that is so important to the BRC community.
pignome

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:43 am

I saw a lot of regular cars just driving ... there was a minivan which drove over from camp to get ice at one of the plazas!

The dust killed a lot of the scooters.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:52 am

AntiM wrote:
The dust killed a lot of the scooters.

Not enough of em..

If global warming leaves the lake drier and drier, The scooters will die off by there self..

Guess those things just wont go 5mph..

I have an old store disability scooter that moves about 2=3mph.. Was thinking this morning about stepping it up to 5mph and put it in service on playa.. I could hual peoples ice..
unjonharley

Not seen the art-segway?

Postby bradtem » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:17 pm

Wow, not seen the art-segway? I guess they just did so good a job you didn't realize it was a segway. I've seen 3 or 4 different modified segways on the playa being roman chariots, phone booths etc.
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Toolmaker » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:34 pm

In all seriousness..

Scooters are a great for folks unable to walk or pedal.

Scooters are smaller than golf carts.

Scooters are cheaper than powered wheelchairs.

Scooters aren't nearly as annoying as the ppl that goto the playa and bitch about how bad the environment and dust is.

And who in their right mind thinks more dust is a bad thing?

There is no better way to keep the spectators away than to have more wonderful dust!

All scooters should have leafblowers attached.

All participants should carry leafblowers at all times.
Toolmaker

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:28 pm

If our city keeps getting bigger I will be buying a scooter. I will modify it to go slower and quieter but bigger city = need for personal powered transport.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Elorrum » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:17 pm

re: mutated segways. I have been trying to find a picture file of the old Dick Tracy flying vehicles that were like a tall bucket with crutches under the armpits.... that would do for a segway I think
Elorrum

Re: SPEED LIMITS/ART CARS RV'S AND DUST

Postby thirt33n » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:07 pm

pignome wrote:The streets are for people to visit and walls of RV's do not help the street culture that is so important to the BRC community.

100% agree.

come to the desert, meet great people, put a wall up in your front yard. what a view!
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby thirt33n » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:12 pm

Toolmaker wrote:

the sound of a leafblower turns me into the incredible hulk.
leafblowers are in serious danger of becoming ass-uppers when used near me.
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:36 am

thirt33n wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:

the sound of a leafblower turns me into the incredible hulk.
leafblowers are in serious danger of becoming ass-uppers when used near me.

Than I guess a small pulsejet is also out of the question?
Toolmaker

Postby Colonel Monk » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:21 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:If our city keeps getting bigger I will be buying a scooter. I will modify it to go slower and quieter but bigger city = need for personal powered transport.

That I agree with. Normally I wouldn't complain about it, but the larger city combined with the bad playa surface and the fact the site was moved this year (resulting in the dunes from last years trash fences going thru the city) meant that getting around was a motherfucker. Never had I wanted a multi-geared bike so badly. I brought a Chinese Rickshaw this year but couldn't really ride it. The conditions and difficult pedaling destroyed the crank bearings...

If we are to believe what Borg sez about it being a pedestrian city, they better not increase it in size again. The walk from 9 to 3 isn't just a 10 minute walk anymore, it's a journey. Furthermore, I didn't feel there was enough transpo in the form of MVs to catch a ride on, given the new restrictions. I'd have gladly caught some rides from those ugly "art cars" ( :roll: ) this year.

So though I don't want to hear the whine of scooters, I may well be on one myself. I wanted to power my "trickshaw" (chinese rickshaw) but it looks like power of any kind makes it a Mutant Vehicle, even though it's just a tricycle. So my apoligies to those who may have caught a ride from me...

out
dust.
Colonel Monk

Return to Politics & Philosophy