How I Met David Best (And Took His Keys)

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby Dork » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:02 am

supersonin wrote:The only reason anybody cares about the noisy air horn is because it was David who was blowing it

It sounds like many people cared about it while it was happening, and most likely didn't know it was David. His celebrity is why some of us not directly affected are discussing it here, and you're the one who seems bent on dragging this out.

I do remember a quote from David one year saying that the grant more than paid for the temple expenses. It might have been a misquote or I might be misremembering it. There's also the temples he built off the playa - I'd be surprised if he did every single one at a loss. Nor do I think he should take a loss on them. He had a great idea and executed it well. So much so that it became a Burning Man tradition that carried on even in the years he wasn't available to take the lead.

Have you seen the books on the temple project and KNOW that David put his own money in, or are you just speculating like the rest of us?
Dork

Postby erri2000 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:08 am

try_me YOU ARE A GOD! You should have thrown his keys behind the thing.

It does not matter who he is, it is how he behaved.

I like the fact that I can put a name to that idiot now.

As for the kick-ass artist part, who isn't a kick ass artist? I thought everyone that was in attendance was a kick-ass artist. :?:
erri2000

Postby ravenluv » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:39 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:Ego is the greatest barrier to enlightenment and nothing stokes the flames of ego more than fame.

right on!

(though i don't want to be seen as stroking your ego... :wink: )
ravenluv

The All-American Solution

Postby ravenluv » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:49 am

perhaps we need noise ordinances at burning man.

:roll:

my understanding of accomplished people is thus: first, they are highly skilled at what they do, but that doesn't make them wise in a general sense. second, accomplishing things usually requires exerting much control and defending one's decisions against naysayers and the like, and so they tend to be more defensive and controlling than sloths like me.

it's no secret that artists aren't always as beautiful as their works. that's true for all of us, actually.

as for the noise, i would have supported confiscating (for a limited time) the sound system's cables, as incorrect of a solution as that might be. it would have nailed two birds with one stone. no music; no air horn.

this guy saw a random opportunity and took it (he didn't set out to steal the keys), and appears to feel kind of bad about it, even as he tries to justify it. i think he deserves some credit for being wishy-washy!
ravenluv

Postby Box Burner » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:49 am

supersonin wrote:The only reason anybody cares about the noisy air horn is because it was David who was blowing it,

if you don't want David to be famous, than stop talking about him. He is closely scrutinized because he is famous, that is not really fair, not very BM of you to only allow yourselves the freedom of "radical self expression" I bet you are glad that people don't write about you every time you act like a jerk. David loves burningman and maybe it is because he can blow his horn.

Oh, and maybe you haven't noticed but he is kick-ass artist!

If you want to see celebrities behaving badly, pick up a People Magazine.

Yep Pimple Magazine is full of celebrities being assholes. :lol:

Sorry, David Best gets his fame because he is a kick-ass artist.

That is a good story try_me. I see two bits of radical self expression here. Him blowing the air horn in the early morning and you taking the key to the compressor. However IMHO the story could have best been told without naming the celebrated artist. Simply stating that it was someone responsible for a huge and popular art project would have been sufficient to get the point across. You cannot settle your feelings with him here. Nor can he settle his with you here. That is something that must be done in private communication to each other and each one to himself.

BoxB
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby HughMungus » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:27 pm

You did the right thing. There are few things more annoying and disruptive than passive-aggressive people.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Re: How I Met David Best (And Took His Keys)

Postby HughMungus » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:29 pm

try_me wrote:I pointed out that he was disturbing a lot more people than just the sound camp, and he said, "Well, when you get woken up, know that I'm not intending it for you."

OMFG
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby supersonin » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:28 pm

Have you seen the books on the temple project and KNOW that David put his own money in, or are you just speculating like the rest of us?[/quote]

I know this to be true. not speculating. David builds the temple for the love of art and for love of burningman.
supersonin

Postby eplaya mess up » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:37 pm

Good story - Me I would have kept the keys, and If i got that reaction when I tried to give them back, I would have shoved them straight up his ass.

David Best is a great artist - but thats because of burningman. Not the other way around.

I believe he is startgin to get complacent and feeling a sense of entitlement that is not founded. Thats easy to do after so many years of being funded by BM.

Thats just my opinion,
later
eplaya mess up

Postby supersonin » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:44 pm

David was a great artist long before there was a burningman.
supersonin

Postby Tiahaar » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:47 pm

And I installed air horns on my very first car, an old Plymouth Gran Fury :P
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby supersonin » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:36 am

yes, and I glued a pretty green bird onto my goggles. and pom poms too.
supersonin

A Similar Happening

Postby Johnny One-Spur » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:52 pm

This is interesting, 'cause I had my first David Best experience in 2007. We were on an art car passing by the Temple shortly after it opened. Some people on our car were shouting through megaphones; I forget what. Mr. Best was being filmed by a film crew nearby; he came over and told us, "Out of all the places on the playa, here is where you do NOT use megaphones." The film crew filmed the interaction between him and the bus guys--and interestingly, the film crew did not turn their cameras away when the bus guys asked that he not be filmed (isn't that a BM media requirement--that if someone asks you not to film or take pictures, you don't?). Anyway. It raised an interesting issue that came up again and again for me this year. 1. Yes, the Temple can be considered "sacred space" 2. Yes, Mr. Best built the Temple 3. It's probably considered rude to shout through a megaphone (or play heavy-metal music, or dance, or fuck) around the Temple. On the other hand, 4. does an artist really have the right to control what happens around (not "to") a piece of artwork, especially after it's been "gifted" to BRC? I can see *asking* someone to be respectful of the space, but TELLING someone they MUST be respectful...? Was he being that way just because the film crew was there? It raised no little amount of internal conflict in me--I'm very respectful of the Temple, and felt badly that there was the sense of disrespect...but on the other hand...BM's freedom of expression, yeah?

Reading the story of the air horn adds even more to this. What if I had come up to the car and told the driver, Mr. Best, "Hey, this is morning and people are sleeping. You MUST keep the noise down." Obviously, he didn't think so.

Sorry, Best supporters, but it sounds like a double-standard. He can tell people to be quiet when it's in *his* interest (around the Temple, when he's being interviewed on film, when he's trying to sleep), but other people can't tell *him* to be quiet (when he's blasting an airhorn in the morning). I know his intent was to bother the dance camp, but he *knew* that he was disturbing lots of people that weren't in the dance camp as well. To be so cavalier about being that rude to that many OTHER people...well, I don't see how that can be defended.

I vote in favor of the key removal. If he didn't want people to "touch his tools", then he shouldn't have been using them the the aggressive, antisocial way he did. Civic responsibility, anyone?
Johnny One-Spur

Postby BAS » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:06 pm

I can see *asking* someone to be respectful of the space, but TELLING someone they MUST be respectful...?

Well, if he insists people be respectful, then he doesn't know a d---ed thing about respect. (And if he insists he be respected, then he does not deserve respect!)

IMO.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby karine » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:55 pm

Hey try me -
Why didn't you just put in a pair of ear plugs ? !
Duh.

A friendly guy guy mighta' passed them out to his neighbors, too.

((your story makes me wonder where are you camping next year so I can blow away your frickin ear drums. ))

Coming to burning man and complaining about noise ?!
Get real.
Who IS really falling for this shit ??
karine

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Heh Heh Heh... As least she's honest.

I support Best's right to blow his horn as much as I support dude's right to take his keys. Makes for good performance art all around.

And I'm bringin' more ear plugs next year for all the light sleepers who come to Burning Man for some peace and quiet.

ETA: ...and bourbon. Earplugs an bourbon. "Hey good morning!! Drink this and quit your cryin'!!" Harr Harrr Haaaaaar
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby BAS » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:23 pm

Booze first thing in the morning?!! Where are you camping, LeChat?!! I wanna camp next to you (and mooch booze all week)! :D

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby karine » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:26 pm

booze and ear plugs.. and the best coffee ever ever...

Perfect.
karine

Postby Smudge » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:44 pm

try_me

What you should have told him when you took his keys ws
"SHUT UP, YOU'RE RUINING MY SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE"
and then we'd all be calling this the Best experience on the playa instead of going 'round and 'round sniping at each other.
Smudge

Postby mars » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:05 pm

OMG! I have to say I think this story is sooooo frickin' funny all around!

Try_me, I totally respect how you tried to handle the communication with David, and I LOVE that you took his keys (I'm working backwards here...) because he totally deserved to have done to him basically the same thing he was doing (exacting revenge) BUT, the fact that you would chase down a noise-maker at burning man, really is beyond belief to me. Burning Man is noisy! I expect it. I am fairly quiet and I do like my sleep, but I would NEVER in a million years chase down a noise-maker. Even if they were outside my tent and I didn't have to run to get them.

In this way, you and David were exactly alike. And you know, it's opposites that attract and alike repels.

That anyone would hold David Best to some higher degree of standards is ridiculous. He's a person with pros and cons just like the rest of us.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:17 pm

karine wrote:Why didn't you just put in a pair of ear plugs

Maybe my head is thinner than yours, but those earplugs would have to be magical earplugs to allow you to snooze through a nearby air horn. Do you also sleep in an RV?
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Re: A Similar Happening

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:19 pm

Johnny One-Spur wrote:....The film crew filmed the interaction

enjoy your first 15 minutes of fame! :D

Welcome to e-Playa Johnny
Teo del Fuego

Postby karine » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:51 pm

Maybe I got "trained right" by camping the first year next to a really loud camp- But I learned right then, that ear plugs are handy on the playa...
And how can you complain about noise ? You came to burning man for peace and quiet ???

MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!
What about outward on the ring?
THINK about where you were camped!

It's a big frickin' playa.
and no- I don't sleep in an RV. I just plan ahead.

I think Mr. Best was doing the right thing- and I think he was responding to his neighbors noise... so the answer of responding to the response and then catching a ride here looking for pity just floors me.

I think you need a response to your response... sure.
Sounds like you got it. But you won't get much "Burning Man is too noisy" pity.
karine

Postby Necco » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:26 pm

Supersonin - Why can't you just admit that the guy was a jerk for blowing the airhorn? Reading these posts of current & past behaviour, he sounds like he's someone I'd rather not be around. So he does kick-ass art -- that doesn't exempt him from being a jerk, or give him a license to preach on a pedestal. Wake up.

And to the original poster - I really enjoyed your story - you seem like a decent guy. Maybe you didn't bring a HUGE FUNDED ART PROJECT to the playa, but you did what you could, and contributed the way most of us contribute to the community. I'm sure the people's bikes you fixed we very appreciative of your gift. Thanks for taking the initiative to bring bike tools out, after you read there wouldn't be a bike-fix camp this year.
Necco

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:34 pm

karine wrote:- MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Sure, I'll just pick up my 20 member theme camp and relocate
Teo del Fuego

Postby karine » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:14 pm

Okay .. so is "Try Me" a sock for "Teo del Fuego" ???
(or were you guys camped together?)

Because thus far, I didn't know Teo was also victim to attack of thee early morning bull-horn... and thought it was one guy and an ego.
karine

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:38 pm

Jesus, would you guys be queit? I'm trying to sleep over here.
LeChatNoir

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:57 pm

That airhorn was one of the best fucking things ever, IMHO on the playa. Besides being cool it served as another reminder of where I was, what I went through to get there, and it penetrated inside my pop-up and got my attention at times when I really needed it. I'm glad it was used frequently and I hope it comes back next year...but with one caveat. Make the damn thing even louder!
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:11 pm

Kinetic V wrote:That airhorn was one of the best fucking things ever, IMHO on the playa. Besides being cool it served as another reminder of where I was, what I went through to get there, and it penetrated inside my pop-up and got my attention at times when I really needed it. I'm glad it was used frequently and I hope it comes back next year...but with one caveat. Make the damn thing even louder!

Kinetic,

You know, there was a guy in a pickup truck that had a compressor/airhorn in the back. He came by our camp every single day this year. And you summed my feelings about it pretty well. I didn't drive four days to have a defualt world day. Give me a Burning Man airhorn over the loud truck exhaust pipes I hear going by my shop anyday.
LeChatNoir

Postby karine » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:36 pm

Our airhorn, Le Chat - was NOTHING compared to that first year. The pancake lady with the mega phone started at like 7 am or something. She was NUTS!

Right on, Kinetic!
karine

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man