who loved pinky's?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

who loved pinky's?

Postby barbu » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:12 am

happen to wander to the pink prim paddy this year? let us know your reactions, experiences, stories of joy, etc.
high on the hilltop...
barbu

Postby chloe_dancer » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:50 am

i love pinky's.....let me say that again....I LOVE PINKY'S.......when i arrived thursday morning....all tired and irritable b/c i had driven 14 hours thru the night on like 2 hours of sleep from tuesday (don't even ask....) i set up camp at Trashistan, my boy went to sleep and i went for a walk.......i ended up at Pinky's dancing w/ cool people and drinking awesome drinks and loving everyone there......it was the evening before my wedding (luckyburns and i were married friday morning) and it was so so so much fun! i was there for like 5 hours, until some nice people i met drove my tipsy self to the barbie death camp for the meet and greet party. everyone i met from that time forward i recomended they stop at pinky's!!!! lucky and i went back almost every night to dance.......what a great place! i'd love to help u all out next year if u need it, i am a bartender afterall..... :lol: :D
i feel there is an angel in me whom i am constantly shocking
chloe_dancer

me too

Postby Layne » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:43 am

I can say without a doubt, the best neighbors on the playa. There were
many nights when we would shut down and just dance the night away
right next door. The generosity that existed between camps was un-real.

Pinky's rules,
Love the Deep Enders
Distrikt DJ
Camp Houligan
Layne

pinky's vibe

Postby TheDude » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:14 pm

This was my first but not my last burn. I wanted to dance and talk to all the beautiful souls at pinky's all night long!!! If anyone has any pictures of Pinky's, I would dig it. Pinky's was the highlight of my burn!!!!
Thangbotche On!
TheDude

Postby PJ » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:15 pm

I hung out at Pinky's for a couple of hours on Thursday, a bit before midnight I believe.

Excellent vibe and a great facility; I salute whomever's on what must be a long list of people responsible.

A flaw in my experience there was some creep out in the dark off the starboard side of the Prim Patty that was videotaping a young hot topless enthusiastic woman dancing atop the deck. I mentioned it to the bartenders; they shrugged it off as being too frequent an occurrance to do much about. Being half the size of the cameraman I wasn't willing to get confrontational myself.
PJ

Postby chloe_dancer » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:19 pm

http://homepage.mac.com/ace33/BM2003/Page3.html

good pics of pinky's taken by ace33
i feel there is an angel in me whom i am constantly shocking
chloe_dancer

Hill Tribe Girl

Postby TheDude » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:28 pm

Oh Ya,.... I talked to a Asian girl that was dressed in a North Thailand Hill Tribe head dress at Pinky's. We talked about China and the terracotta warrior statues, and the Maoist situation in Nepal, as well as the Nepali Royal Family massicure. Her boyfriend was throwing daggers with his eyes! I wasn't moving in, I was just communicating with a soul. If you are that soul, Thank you!!!

Thangbotche On
TheDude

Postby p'rick » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:06 pm

I loved Pinky's!! They throw great parties all year round and to drive in to BRC only to find a spot to set up camp right next to Pinky's was fantastic! They had a great setup and a nice sound system that put me to sleep every night. :)
p'rick

Postby Jay » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:08 pm

In 2001 I was camped with a couple friends down the street from Pinky's. We had a blender or two, but our generator sucked, so we asked Pinky if we could mix smoothies at his bar, we never left. We became officially "the blender boys" and have been fortunate enough to be welcomed into the Pinky crew's extended family. How much do I love Pinky's? I could never put it into words. The smiles and generosity I'm surrounded with when I'm behind the bar is an amazing thing. Pinky, Kath,Lushious and Grinder, T-Bone, Player and Sassy, DivaDeb, SuzyQ, all you beautiful folks, thank you for making my week. RyelK was the house DJ for the week and did an unreal job of keeping the vibe perfect. And as for the fucked up lurkers with video cameras, I tell 'em to ask the subjects they're taping or get the fuck out, they're drawn to that stage like maggots to rotting flesh. Next year I'm making a large sign explaining the consequences of unsolicited videotaping.
At any rate, back to the positives, Pinky and his crew bust their asses and spend alot of time and money to bring B.R.C. one of it's most loved bar/dance/hangout spots. Keep the love flowin', and remember to r.o.w.y.c.o. and j.o.w.y.c.o.
Jay

Postby electrolux » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:31 am

Yeah I swung by pinky's on tuesday night, since it was one of the few places that were going off that early in the week. There was a bit of a tense moment when one of their neighbors had a hissy fit about there noise level, but after talking with him awhile the pinky's girl came back and yelled 'let's party!' and we were off again. I also took NO there for the first time in my life so I guess it will always have a special place in my heart.
electrolux

Yep, Pinky's was excellent

Postby The Key Man » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:53 am

The cats and kitties that built and ran Pinky's did a super job, I loved it. Congrats to you all.

BTW Thangbotche, I ran into the hill tribe gal at coffee central one evening and we chatted a while. I was surprised to hear that she was actually Japanese and not really familiar with the story behind her costume. She told me she'd bought it on Haight Street. I believe it was an Akha (N. Thailand/Laos) outfit. Quite stunning young lady with a lovely smile. Her boyfriend must have stepped away for a bit, I didn't get the dagger eyes.

Anyway thanks again Pinky's people, Pinky's was a blast.
The Key Man

Postby tbone » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:05 am

We hit Pinky's Thursday(?) night, and to be honest I liked it more in years past. BUT, I tend to like smaller, mellower bars.

They did an amazing job, but they missed my dempgraphic.

My favorite Pinky's memory was from 2000 - out on the mudshark (a 3 person canoe) when we got stuck in a sand storm and waited it out at Pinky's. It was kind of quiet, but still chaotic. Good folks.

TBone
tbone

Pink Forever!

Postby Uncle Jam » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:21 am

As a neophyte, I was fortunate enough to be camped directly across from Pinkie's. Anytime I had an inkling to meet some new and incredible people, I merely stepped across Imagined 8:30 and was instantly greeted with open arms by the bartenders and patrons. BRC is damn large, and I probably saw only 15% of it at most, but I can't imagine a more inviting place than Pinkie's. Poaching the bar Friday night was one of the highlights of my first burn. Thanks y'all!
Flame on!
Uncle Jam

Pinky Loves You!!

Postby ryelk » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:54 pm

Hey all... this is Ryel K, I was privileged and honored this year to provide the musical entertainment for Pinky's. It gave me such great joy to have helped provide a place of fun, happiness and intimacy for all those who found themselves at one time or another under the familiar pink shade of our camp. Looking out from the DJ booth and seeing nothing but happy faces and bopping limbs was truly one of the great highlights of my whole life.
We'll be doing it up again next year in the same fine Pinky's style - and if anyone's in SF and wants to help keep the Pinky's vibe going here, give me a shout and let's get together (DJRyelk@yahoo.com). Peace and love to all... Ryel K.
ryelk

most of all I love Pinky

Postby cmosy » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:43 pm

Thanks to the LA crew for all the preplannig. I know what my back porch looks like and I can only imagine what Alex's looks like. Pirate Booty and pink fur abound. Ahoy matey lets start fund raising as soon as I get over these swings. Thanks gang and I'll see you soon. Blender boy's I love your stickers. Have you found an iron? :?: Next year Im gonna bring.......

Ps I love you Ryle thanks for rocking my world and creating a love float that im still drifting around on. :P

C
cmosy

this guy

Postby Lothar » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:23 am

We met pinky atop a huge pink elephant, or perhaps that was just the potent punch playing tricks. Pinky is awesome for putting that place together. It was a non-stop party every time we found it. I tip my hat to you crazy bastards behind the counters and every burner that decided they needed to hug a pole today.

Also props to the iced landspeeder crew and the friendly texan with the tequila that introduced us to the neighborhood.
Lothar

Re: Yep, Pinky's was excellent

Postby TheJudge » Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:55 am

The Key Man wrote: I ran into the hill tribe gal at coffee central one evening and we chatted a while. I was surprised to hear that she was actually Japanese and not really familiar with the story behind her costume. She told me she'd bought it on Haight Street.

:lol: Now THAT is the epitome of Burning Man right there!
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

still glowing

Postby Diva-licious » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:20 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all my Pink peoples! I didn't stop smiling all week. I can't wait to see ya'll again...Playaween? I sure hope so. Pinky, you've culled a group of pirates that are some of the most seaworthy on the playa. I'm grateful to know you all. Loveandkisses.... :D
Diva-licious

Postby RebA! » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:39 am

The one time I finally get to go to pinky's, i guess it was a off night or something, nothing was happening. No drinks being served. No one dancing, no one doing much of anything.

I had heard soooo much about it in my previous 3 years and when we rolled up in the art car I was totally stoked to be at the infamous pinky's. We wandered toward the bar and nothing. I was like.. hmm ok so now what happens.. and so were the rest of the art car peeps wondering the same thing.

(this was thursday night) Maybe next year I will find it again and have a better experience
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Pinky's

Postby Fireman Jeff » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:35 am

YEA !!!!!!!!!!! Piky's was my fav. I stopped there every night on my way back to camp and then some. Thanks for all the time & money you all put into it. By the way who is Pinky? Where were you all from? How do you get that many people to participate and finance the camp?
Fireman Jeff

Postby TheMuse » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:27 pm

I love Pinky's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
TheMuse

Pinky's Love You Too!!

Postby Sassy » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:31 pm

Hi Guys :)

Wow, can't believe Player and I never knew about this discussion board...thanks Kath for turning us onto it. First of all, Barbu, you are so darling and I'm so happy we met while we were tending bar. I loved your pink wig...we're like soul sisters or something...in a twisted sort of way.

Blender Boy Jayson, you and the Blender Boys rock...not only did you, Eric, Daryl, Rob and Shawn keep us all cool with your smooth, fruity, blended drinks full of VITAMINS AND MINERALS for our worn out playa bods, but you donated all the booze this year. THANK YOU ON BEHALF OF ALL PINKY'S PATRONS EVERYWHERE.

And to our beautiful DJ Ryel, you are just about the smoothest, chillest person I have ever met. Thank you for your vibe...you steered Pinky's ship to the waters of bliss. You're gorgeous :)

Pinky's crew, you are surely our bestest friends...thanks for the love...

Love and hugisses,
Sssssassy
Sassy

Postby Taz » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:33 am

To the owners/originators of Pinky's- I love your bar! I think it is the greatest bar on the playa. A little hard to find since it wasn't listed on the map but once word gets around everyone seems to know what you're talking about.
Had a great time each time I visited it. By the way , I was the pink panther, an outfit I made just for Pinky's. You guys are great! :D
Taz

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Safer Sex

Postby Borris » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:55 am

As someone said elsewhere, I'll never be able to listen to Abby road the same way again.

I loved your place guys allthough it seems you are no longer a playa secret.

hope you put the bottle of Martini extra dry i droped there on burn night to a good use.

Ryalk, i never got to coming round and droping you one of my CD's, I'll email you about sending you one of my sets. and thanks for your CD.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Check one off the Life List

Postby Fluffy Pink » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:01 pm

How much do I love Pinky's? Words can't express it. I haven't been able to find any websites for them, but maybe that's a good thing. It reinforces the dream-like quality for me. Was it real? I lived my personal maybe-someday-I'll-quit-my-job-and-become-a-stripper fantasy on the bar this year. I'm already practicing spinning my tassles for next year. . .
-Don't Dream It, Be It-
Fluffy Pink

Gemini & Lil Missy....the beat goes on....

Postby Dusty Playa Girl » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:01 pm

I want to say THANK YOU sooooo much to the Chubby camp for making my week at BM so special this year.

I saw the cutest guy on the playa in a pink miniskirt.... at Pinky's... watching the history making Mutaytor playing...he said I was cute....i kissed him...
I fell in love on the Playa this year
I got married on the Playa this year by Pinky himself

DJ RYel rocked our worlds
We're moving to SF in a month....
How much more joy can one experience????

I cant wait to find out

Burn on........
Gemini
Dusty Playa Girl

Gemini & Lil Missy....the beat goes on....

Postby Dusty Playa Girl » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:18 pm

I want to say THANK YOU sooooo much to the Chubby camp for making my week at BM so special this year.

I saw the cutest guy on the playa in a pink miniskirt.... at Pinky's... watching the history making Mutaytor playing...he said I was cute....i kissed him...
I fell in love on the Playa this year
I got married on the Playa this year by Pinky himself

DJ RYel rocked our worlds
We're moving to SF in a month....
How much more joy can one experience????

I cant wait to find out

Burn on........
Gemini
Dusty Playa Girl

Postby barbu » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:21 pm

:P
pinky's rules, the prim paddy plies the ocean waters with its loving oarmenandwomen....if you see the pinky's pictures \, every single person is smiling every single time with the biggest, most infectious grin imaginable. there's a lot of love, vision, cash, preparation, and committment that goes into it, i only got the smallest taste of it this year at my first burn, so thank you to the family for working so hard to set it up and keep it stocked with alceehol and smiles. and then the paddy disappears, like a mirage....you are all wonderful, the pinkchubby family rules, and so did all our new friends who dropped by to donate booze, nugs, hugs, necklaces, strange pills, smiles, conversation, love, love and more love! thank you! the ripples spread pinkly through the outer world, nothing is the same, suddenly people are quitting their jobs to become strippers......
high on the hilltop...
barbu

Postby gladeye » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:05 pm

Wowee! I'm part of the Pinky's crew and I'm blown away by all the supportive and positive posts. We're amazed more than anyone at the growing popularity of the place each year. With the myriad of playa attractions vying for everyone's attention it really feels good to know we make such an impression on some people. Our camp and ship keep growing and growing. This year we added two beautiful crow's nests and next year should bring more surprise additions (I keep lobbying for a plank, but that's just asking for trouble!). It's great that everyone is so appreciative, but believe me, there's a TON of pleasure in the giving. I love tending bar and I don't want to pretend to speak on behalf of the rest of the crew here, but I think it's safe to say that turning so many people on is truly OUR pleasure as much as yours. Pinky is indeed a great guy with a heart of gold and I'm proud of all the good vibes that swirl around the bar when it's running full tilt.

To the person who showed up one night only to find us closed, we tend to start swinging late afternoon, happy hourish, and will close around 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00... depending, so we can have some time to explore the playa ourselves, but will often turn it all back on again late night (however you define "late night" on the playa).

As for where Pinky and crew reside in the off-season, most of us live in So Cal, but at this point we have people from a lot of other states pitching in. The bar is a very "giving" deal, but we do have fundraisers, parties, etc. through the year.

More info and a lot of great pictures can be found at the Pinky's website. I'm pretty sure you can e-mail Pinky via the website too. Pictures from 2003 should be up soon if they aren't already.

The web address is http://64.81.233.13 (posted here with Mollusk's blessing!)

Thank you again for all the nice words. I'm going to forward this thread to Pinky and a bunch of the crew.

"Madness is the first sign of dandruff" - Dr. Winston O'Boogie
gladeye

Postby Ivy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:19 pm

I second whoever suggested Playaween again... I didn't make it to last year's and I would really like to have some halloween fun. It's my favorite holiday (well, after BM, I guess, it's the new Christmas, dontcha know) and it needs a good kicking playa-style party.
Let me know if you guys have something up your sleeve that you need help with, setting up or whatever, I'm game.
Ivy

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man