Bioluminescent Mushrooms - Nature's Glow Sticks

Postby domitron » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi, Mushroom Kingdom folks! Thank you so much for allowing me the chance to place my stand within your walls! I think my project will be a small asset to your kingdom!
domitron

Postby spectabillis » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:12 am

hey domitron, theres been a bit of controversy surrounding how its being carried out, but the way its presented and openly stated is a complete ban on bringing plants to the playa.

have you contacted anyone in the org over this? http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... lants.html
spectabillis

Postby domitron » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:25 am

The mushrooms I am bringing cannot live in the playa or any place without wet, dead wood. In fact they would die in a matter of one day if exposed to the playa, which is why they are protected by the aquarium biowedge. As the display will be totally contained, there will not be a single piece of mushroom anything left behind; in other words, they are not a MOOP liability for Burning Man.

Plants, on the other hand, would be exposed to the outside environment and free to drop leaves and other material on the playa. If Burning Man allowed plants this year, people would bring them, they would slowly die out there, and leaves, vines, twigs, etc. would drop everywhere as MOOP. It makes sense, then, that they are just not allowing them as they are in essence MOOP factories as they die off during the event.

And to answer your question: yes, this has been cleared by Burning Man. In fact I am in the 2007 theme art installations list on the Burning Man website here:

http://www.burningman.com/installations ... theme.html
domitron

Postby spectabillis » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:05 pm

hmmm.. actually no, not all plants die out there or cause a moop problem. but despite where i stand on that issue you pretty much answered my question of it being passed, which was my main concern and am glad it was worked out.
spectabillis

Postby domitron » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:23 pm

spectabillis, I know not all plants die out there, but you know as well as I do that Burning Man isn't going to spend the time to figure out and then classify plants which would work and those which will not. They are using a broad stroke to just cover their ass because when that Tuesday after Burning Man comes and there are blood and tears to be spent cleaning the grounds for the next couple weeks or more, it's hell enough already without a single leaf more of MOOP.

The guys in the Burning Man organization say that time and again plants have caused them problems because most of them don't fare well out there and tend to drop pieces. I doubt they are exaggerating or lying because they do tend to be pretty trustworthy people from what I’ve known. Now does that stuff plants drop matter? Probably not since it'll quickly blow away and is completely imminently biodegradable. But the BLM seems to throw a fit no matter what is left behind, and in the end, it's their game, not the Burning Man organization’s.
domitron

Postby spectabillis » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:35 pm

since i dont want to drift your topic into a discussion over it i will just say for the most part i agree with that.
spectabillis

Re: Moon

Postby lonestoner916 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:25 pm

Bootzy2012 wrote:First off, congratulations for doing this. I think it really speaks to the theme and the direction that BM wants to go. People need to be exposed to nature in a way that makes them think differently. I do hope your piece is left alone to the enjoyment of all.

As to the moon....it will be full and high in the sky at around 3:30 am on the night of the eclipse. Unfortunately, the moon will be rising around 7:30 pm. We will have adjusted to the moon's brightness by the middle of the night and during the eclipse, the change in ambient light will be quite dramatic and people should have a chance to really see the effect of the mushrooms. The whole event lasts about 5 hours with total darkness taking place over 90 minutes. Here is a sort of local table for times.

Total Eclipse of the Moon

BABBITT, NEVADA
o ' o '
W118 38, N38 32

Pacific Daylight Time

Moon's
Azimuth Altitude
h m o o
Moonrise 2007 Aug 27 19:20 105.7 ----
Moon enters penumbra 2007 Aug 28 00:52.2 180.5 40.0
Moon enters umbra 2007 Aug 28 01:50.9 198.6 38.4
Moon enters totality 2007 Aug 28 02:52.0 215.6 33.4
Middle of eclipse 2007 Aug 28 03:37.3 226.5 27.9
Moon leaves totality 2007 Aug 28 04:22.7 236.1 21.3
Moon leaves umbra 2007 Aug 28 05:23.8 247.2 11.3
Moon leaves penumbra 2007 Aug 28 06:22.5 256.7 1.2
Moonset 2007 Aug 28 06:32 258.1 ----

Holy shit, you've obviously done your homework! I am seriously looking forward to your exhibit, I think it's an awesome idea that really goes with this years theme! VERY COOL!
lonestoner916

Congrats on such a worthwhile project!

Postby Bell T. » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:45 am

Dom, I'm so jazzed you are committed to getting these mushrooms out on the playa. The coolest thing about it, to me, is that you've taken a visually interesting aspect of mushrooms, developed it into a project and are bringing that interest to an event where thousands of people are tuning in, in one way or another, to the gifts of our natural world. I know, as you probably do, that mushrooms can solve many of our environmental problems, heal our illnesses, and are a major form of intelligence on the planet. (I'm a Paul Stamets devotee.) My question is, where can I find you on the playa? I'll be at 5:15 and Arctic at Brain Freeze, and I'm going to hold a Thinker's Corner especially for writers and people with something to articulate. Please come by -- I do not want to miss the mushrooms on the playa, and I want to be sure I can find them!
Right on, Bell
Flow
Bell T.

Postby domitron » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:03 pm

Thanks, Bell. Yes, I have read Paul's work and spoken with him on a few occasions. He's an amazing guy with a vision of how mushrooms could help mankind, and indeed, they DO help mankind each day in many ways, not the least of which is cleaning our planet of toxic waste. For example mushrooms are one of the few organisms on the planet that can break down DDT. I'll be with the Mushroom Kingdom. I'll be sure to stop by too! Cheers!
domitron

Postby domitron » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 pm

My guess is that probably no one reading this board saw my Glowin Shrooms art display. I am sorry for that. The reason is because the Mushroom Kingdom blew apart in Thursday's dust storm. The entire Kingdom came crashing down in fact. This was a bit of a problem since even though my display was intact even after the storm, I did not have anywhere to show off the display. I also didn't have the proper provisions for power to be on my own. So, as it turns out, the mushrooms were at my camp but not where anyone would likely find them. Basically, the entire project was a fiasco because of the dust storm. And if that wasn't bad enough, someone from the Mushroom Kingdom "borrowed" the IPOD out of my display by cutting it out from the straps without my permission and now I don't know where that is either... bummer. I hope he or she returns it since I borrowed it myself, from my wife that is.

Well, next year, I'll probably bring the glowing mushrooms again, but this time, I'll be on my own and I'll be prepared for 70MPH winds. Everything should be great... except the lame patriotic theme for next year which, unfortunately, I cannot change.
domitron

Postby Bin Noddin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:37 pm

Sorry to hear about the turmoil. Did the mushrooms survive and "perform" as you wanted? This was a great project and I look forward to seeing Mushroom Mk-II.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:34 pm

Good luck next time.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby barnz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:08 pm

Sorry we missed it, but the buildup for next year will be fantastic! Just consider it a dry run. My wife's installation also failed (nearly completely) but it was her first attempt and she took it as a productive learning experience. Keep an eye out for the mushrooms and the Spiritual Mind Hut (or SMHut) in 2008! :)
barnz

Postby spectabillis » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:40 pm

i didnt catch it.. and sorry to hear not only about things not working but someone commnig along and taking something from it.
spectabillis

Previous

Return to 2007 Art & Performance