All About Participating in the Pottie Project

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Postby Jiva » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:38 pm

(sign idea)
No matter what those aliens did to it:

Your BUTT is not a UFO

NO HOVERING!

Now get in there and sit yo' ass down.
Jiva

Postby ms dynomite » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:52 pm

I saw mention of a pottie email list somewhere. I've been all over and can't find it. I think I even remember subscribing to it one year. and yet...

can someone link me to the info or give me the email addy to subscribe?
ms dynomite

Burning Since: 2000

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:35 pm

Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby ms dynomite » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:45 am

thanks. I'm informationally challenged today. :)
ms dynomite

Burning Since: 2000

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:21 pm

Howdy Poopers!
So how goes the preparations? I just hauled out my camping crap from storage and started the inventory assessment for this year.

I'm making the scarves and t-shirts again this year, and 1000 signs! This is going to be a fucking amazing year, and you're all a part of this.

Thank you for your support in the largest art installation on the Playa (in terms of real estate). And thank you for helping keep the Man alive.

RobbiDobbs clear
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:47 am

I need to do a FUCK line item here.

This will be my fucking 9th Burn and my 7th (since Dec "00) year of the Pottie Project. I am the shit queen of Burningman, and there is nothing I'd rather do.

(And since I write better while intoxicate, so be it, mutherfuckers.)

Here's the status of the Pottie Project:

I am this >< close to upgrading my computer so I can move forward with printing the Pottie Signs. 60 pages, copied into 1000 total. Then collate and attach to visquine, which I'm cutting.

I'm pretty tickled about this. I love this time of year.

I've been striping/stripping visquine for the signs. I have 220 rectangles cut so far. I need 1000+ to meet demand. I'm watching silly movies while cutting and sorting.

I just washed/dried 20 yards 45" unbleached musling to make the scarves, and printed a 85 point stencil of "THANK YOU FOR GIVING A SHIT" to be xfered to card-stock to make ~20 t-shirts spray painted.

Old DPW tradition,
spray paint.

I recently fucked up the index finger of my primary hand (right) due to a cat bite. I'm staring down the barrel of permanent nerve damage, but hope for the best. I'm taking picnogynol. I don't have a right hand grip anymore. I'm rehabiliitating myself to the rest of my hand. And grew a fingernail on it so I can at least use it as a tool.

I'm sorry. I'm whining.
I can hold a megaphone though, and a steering wheel.

It really sucks when it's a struggle to write. But then, it's all in perspective.

I love you Fishy.

This IS the fucking Hokey Pokey.
This is what "it's all about".

I love you all,

R.
robbidobbs

port-o-crappers

Postby lothos 1162 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:04 pm

Robbi,just point me to the nearest Vegan hopper,we carnivours will do the rest.Lothos
lothos 1162

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:24 pm

Vegetarians taste better, don't ya know.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:11 am

THE SIGNS ARE FINISHED!

1000 signs have been packed up and ready to go. Oh, and Jiva? You got "published". Thank you for the submission.

Now I'm working on sewing 2 pair of "playa pants". I have 4 already, so I'll have a clean pair for every day of the Event. Yay. These are loose fitting, light cotton pants that are perfect for long hours in the sun. Nuthin beats the SPF of cloth, I'm tellin ya right now. I also have the scarves to finish, but those crank out quick.

Cripes! It's only a month and a week until I'm out there. My primary concern is that there will be people that I can solicit help from to put up the signs. I just need a 2nd pair of hands, but those hands might be few, far between and probably busy. I'll do my best though. My finger is healing nicely, so I'll be able to rip duct tape. I was getting concerned that the nerve damage was permanent.

This is going to be a wonderful year, and I deeply appreciate your help and support.
robbidobbs

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:38 pm

Do you ever see your bitey kitty ??

So far I have wormed mine.. Then he let me put flea stuff on.. He walked into the house this morning.. Spent about an hour looking around and sitting watching me.. I have the senior discount slip.. So he don't it yet, but we are going for a little ride
unjonharley

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:55 am

Bitey Kitty (named Primadonna) comes to breakfast and dinner everyday. She doesn't let me touch her though.

Good luck with your new friend.
robbidobbs

THis will Save the Hover Problem

Postby mattconlon » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:00 pm

www.poophammock.com

I am america's next great inventor

don't forget to sign the guestbook
mattconlon

Postby robbidobbs » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:13 am

Cute concept.

I personally do not care to promote this kind of behavior generally, regardless of the instruction for conservative use. Prophylactic papering of the toilet for some bizarre "splashback" fear is just sending the wrong message IMO.
Bunk was right, this is why we run out of tp. Bonk (his other sock) responded that tp rarely runs out these days.
Your welcome.

Clint, Mike and I spent a major chunk of our day just replenishing the units last year because people were wallpapering the toilets. How do I know this? Because many of these set directors failed to strike their set after their performance. Now I'm not bellyaching about tp use per se, it's better than baby wipe use (which we still have a problem with). It's just that we blew through an unexpectedly excessive quantity of tp last year. (It was nuts!)This had two consequences: it made the sewage "thick" and I was twice as busy as I would have been.

If you want to help the community, volunteer for a 4 hour shift with me to restock tp and talk to people about excremental correctness.

Nice website though.
robbidobbs

Re: 100 days until the Man burns down

Postby chrispburn » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:33 pm

robbidobbs wrote:Howdy Poopers!

HM: do we have a placement map yet?

just wondering if the pottie placement for 2007 has been announced?
don't see it on the map.

thanks!
chrispburn

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:03 am

Not yet.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:37 am

Howdy Poopers,
It's one week until I head out. I tell ya I'm getting the TWITCHES!
Obie is helping with signs, thank you SO MUCH! There will be 1000 units out there, so this will be a f/t job all the way til Sunday afternoon. Puting up signs is very rewarding, it is so wonderful to see them all lined up straight on the rows, like a billboard. The Pottie Project is the largest art installation on the playa in terms of real estate, gets the most face-time, and is 100% participatory. How cool is that?

HazMatt, could you provide a placement map?

Do we have any news on pottie lighting? I understand Blue is the manager on this. This will help a great deal to reduce piddle puddles.

Is anyone out there planning decoration or their own signage? I haven't heard from the BED folks. Last year's 5 star handicap unit just tickled me.

Thank you all for your support,
RobbiDobbs clear
robbidobbs

Postby unjonharley » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:11 am

your the greatest.. THX a million just from me..
unjonharley

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:56 pm

Robbidobs, Drop me some text of what you need, and I can have the print shop bang out a couple of thousand copies of whatever you need in just a few minutes.

We got all this commercial printing stuff in the basement, available I can print and drpo off. I ll be there on friday 24th.

I appreciate the poopers, and paricipate at least once a day.

later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:03 pm

I'm good on signs, they're printed already, and collated, and sorted. Whew.

What I could use your help on is puting them up. I'll be arriving next thursday to acclimate. On friday morning I'll start puting them up, soliciting the help from random passers-by. If you're available any time on friday, please help with this.

Thank you
robbidobbs

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:06 pm

I'll post on the BED tribe to contact you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:22 pm

That should be a tribe p,\m
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dr.placebo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:38 am

BED will be out there with our colorful low-budget signs. We've got 1000 of the little suckers, and volunteer crew to put them up over the weekend just before opening. Sorry we did not check in sooner.
dr.placebo

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:01 am

Thank you Doctor P, and thank you Fishy for checking.
Could we combine forces and make a party of it? I'm going to be starting out to put up signs after the DPW morning meeting (about 9ish) on Saturday. If you find me out there anyway, Obie and I will be moving fast.
robbidobbs

Postby dr.placebo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:46 am

I think that littlewing is our Potty Poster Posting Person. I won't be on the playa until Monday, but I'll get a message to her to see if coordination is possible.

BTW, thanks for your ongoing dedication to our defacatory comfort!
dr.placebo

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:58 pm

dr.placebo wrote:I think that littlewing is our Potty Poster Posting Person. I won't be on the playa until Monday, but I'll get a message to her to see if coordination is possible.

BTW, thanks for your ongoing dedication to our defacatory comfort!

You're welcome.

Now an update on the continuing saga of how I get this shit done. Today I went to Big Lots and saw a shelf of various colored duct tape rolls. I got all excited because they were a dollar cheaper than what I got at the hardware store. Then I remembered the year that I got cheap tape, and they melted and the signs hit the fence. I walked out of the store buying nothing.

There are only 4 days left before I head out, and I'm trying to wrap things up. I've got the house-sitting situation well in hand, and I got my oil changed yesterday. I'm in good shape.
robbidobbs

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:20 pm

Hi robbidobbs.
I'll see you on playa saturday morning at the dpw meeting. Is it at 7am...thats what I remember. If something goes wrong when I am on the road friday night I'll be a little late but I will get there to do my share of 4,000 strips of duct tape. I'm really looking forward to getting the signs up and starting the burn with the largest art installation on the playa. Now if I can just find that shirt you gave me.

Opie
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:09 am

Outstanding!
Good luck on the road.
robbidobbs

Postby Toolmaker » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:21 am

Great job, I really loved the signs you all put up on the potties. I had to walk along the line and read every single one. Thanks to those that put the xtra TP in when the potties ran out.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:36 am

You're very welcome. It was last year that I took on the challenge of supplying tp between cleanings, and this year I got ovations from folks when I mentioned this aspect of my self-created job.

I really appreciate the help from the Beautiful and Talented Box Burner, Red, Nogganoodle, and Motsky. They truly helped keep me tethered to the planet surface by telling me to drink water.

I'm composing this year's Final Wipe-up between naps, so more later.
robbidobbs

Postby AntiM » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:10 pm

So, if I decided to do mid-cleaning restocks of a single bank, roughly how much paper would I need to bring? I mean, Hushville is usually across from a bank, and we are usually on the streetside by the potties. Couldn't be that hard to help out, especially if I enlist my campmates.

And I feel guilty for not doing my usual Sunday Monday potty bank clean-up, but we forgot the gloves, the big trash bags, and the grabber.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

PreviousNext

Return to Get Involved!