Jungo Road Year Round

All things outside of Burning Man.

Jungo Road Year Round

Postby Tancorix » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:15 am

I'm very familiar with Jungo Road in August when I take the infamous shortcut from Winnemucca to Empire. It's rough, rocky, but usually bone dry and with the right equipment, marginally passable.

But what is it like in January or February when there is snow in the mountains? Has anyone travelled the road in the winter months? Is it high enough to get blocked by snow, or does it get wet enough that it turns into a mud bog? I have a chance to drive through there and was not sure how bad it was.
Tancorix

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:59 pm

It's cold, it's 4000 ft elev, the playa is often waterlogged, and the traffic on that road is probably less than one percent that of summer so if you expect help to roll by you better be good at hopping 70 mph freight trains.

p.s. Who really gives a crap what you're using for a name on the eplaya these days?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Isotopia » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:13 pm

p.s. Who really gives a crap what you're using for a name on the eplaya these days?

What he said.
Isotopia

Postby Tancorix » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:54 pm

Bob wrote:p.s. Who really gives a crap what you're using for a name on the eplaya these days?

About the name, somebody does and that's all I care about. As for Jungo, I was curious if anyone's actually drove it and knows. There are some who post here that might have real experience with it and that's what I'm looking for. And the reminder about the waterlogged playa is a good one, there's no way I'm driving out on it in the wintertime. I'd borrow an ultralight and fly over it first.

And I'd much prefer walking than to ride anything with a UP shield on it.
Tancorix

Return to Open Discussion