Current Conditions on Playa

Postby Dork » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:58 am

Wunderground is actually reporting from Lovelock. The readings seem to differ a bit from what shows here:
http://206.158.7.4/weather/gerlach.htm

High of 90 and low of 60 sounds heavenly! Hope it holds up.
Dork

Postby Rommel » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:30 am

The military sun, wind & dust goggles are by far the
best. I've been using them at BM for the last 12
years, and they've never failed me. The also have
cut-out for folks that wear glasses. You can usually
find them NIB for about $15.00

[quote="trilobyte"]I've gotten two reports from the playa in the last 24 hours. Both are severely dusty. One friend, an 8 year burner, calls this the dustiest he's ever seen it and the event hasn't even started. Another friend says they've been experiencing white outs daily, and it caused some delay with the start of marking out some of the theme camp spaces.

I've been cautioned to make sure I've got a really good dust mask, and make sure my goggles have no vents (ventilated goggles are almost useless during a white out). I've got electrical tape to block the vent holes on my ventilated gogs, and am seriously thinking of picking up a couple dust masks this year, instead of just using bandanas.

~Trilo~[/quote]
Rommel

Autoritär für Gigsicherheit
'oderint dum metuant'
Rommel

Postby Player » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:08 am

I also just got a report yesterday. We might want to rename Black Rock City "White Out City". In case anyone missed this earlier in this thread, check it out: http://culturalvision.net/html/brd_play ... _2007.html and be prepared!!!!

~ Player
Player

Postby chiefdanfox » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:44 pm

Maybe some moisture from Dean will follow the monsoon up, and sprinkle the playa with enough water to make the conditions perfect for next week?

May I win the lottery, too?
chiefdanfox

Postby SDG » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:52 pm

Oh boy....my laptop is eager to drop some beats in the playa sand storms....yikes! Hopefully the winds die off at night...
SDG

Postby thirt33n » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:39 pm

I'm down with the Dean thing too. Really, it could actually do some funky shit to the weather pattern.

we shall seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeefufufufuufufufufufufuffufufu
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby domitron » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:19 pm

Every year there is some people saying "Hell, the weather is so freakin bad out here this year it's nuts! And it's been that way for months!" Yeah, sure it was super windy on Sunday and Monday, but if anyone had been looking at the wind reports out of Gerlach yesterday or today, they'd see the wind died yesterday and wasn't back today either, but there isn't anyone saying, "Sorry, we were wrong. The weather is all calm now." Nah, that would be boring, so I guess I'll just say it. The weather is going to be perfectly fine this year, so stop fussing. Now here is the forecast the entire week of Burning Man showing one of the mildest yet:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/U ... dp=windsdp

And they have been right, both about the high wind earlier this week and about the lack of it the last two days, so they seem to be doing a pretty good job of predicting.
domitron

Postby domitron » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:21 pm

Oh, and as for Dean, I think it's about 1500 miles away. I doubt it'll have much effect on us in Nevada.
domitron

Postby emotion_sickness » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:53 pm

the weather will be whatever the weather will be...it will constantly change, so as the saying goes, if you dont like it...wait 10 minutes...or move to a planet with no weather.

I've always been a fan of George Carlin's Hippy Dippy weatherman, with all your hippy dippy weather...man. "Tonights forecast...dark. Continued dark throughout the night, until morning, when it will begin to get gradually lighter..."

Make like a Boy Scout and be prepared...have fun no matter what the conditions are...who honestly cares what the weather will be like? I paid good money for that ticket and I'm gonna have fun rain, shine, dust, heat, snow...whatever there is I'll be running around like a crazy person in it!
Why?
emotion_sickness

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:46 pm

Badger wrote:The two thing you wanna prepare for if you've ever experienced them on the playa are rain and whiteouts. We've not had rain in a good number of years so people look at me kinda funny when they see I've brought along my Wellies but.... ya never know

I'm not wearing no wellies!

Wait, I'm not even going...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby frenchblue1 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:35 pm

I have a few friends out there right now and they said the last 2 days have been great. Sunday it was tough.
Every year it is the same story. "Dustiest Playa conditions ever"

Last year rocked in my book! Expect the max and hope for the best, your still going to be on the playa and not in a office cubicle. If people have not communicated how to cope with conditions they best read up...
Sure the winter was dry but I've never been fishing at the Playa yet. Let's Roll! I'm so fricking ready!

PS- I've heard snow is in the forecast.
frenchblue1

Postby MozyBonz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:44 pm

Badger wrote:The two thing you wanna prepare for if you've ever experienced them on the playa are rain and whiteouts. We've not had rain in a good number of years so people look at me kinda funny when they see I've brought along my Wellies but.... ya never know

no shit huh. thanks I have a pair.
MozyBonz

Postby Token » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:27 am

During the dusty years, everyone looks like a raccoon at least one day of the week. :)

Just embrace it and wrap yourself up like a Bedouin. The pictures will be fantastic modern-primitive during the few sunny hours each day.

T
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby cornelius » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:40 am

To: santaCruz-list@burningman.com
Subject: Very dusty on the playa this year - a heads up

Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:02:34 -0700

This email from the DPW: If you are coming out to Black Rock CIty

Hey everyone, I've been on the Playa for 2 weeks now and I just wanted to give some advice to anyone coming out for the event. We have had MAJOR dust storms as the playa is powder fine this year. Of the past 4 days, 3 have had white out dust storms lasting anywhere from a few hours to all day long. All the people coming in will only add to this, so be prepared for
some intense weather out here. Bring lots of bandanas, extra goggles, dust proof your tent before you get out here, be prepared for longer set ups and long lines at the gate.

We burned early man last night and the city is really coming together. I can't wait to see everybody! I am camped in the DPW ghetto at 4:20 and Arctic so come and say hi! YAAAAY it is still going to be a great year even if the weather is intense.
ROBOTS UNITE
cornelius

Some Current Playa Conditions

Postby purplegirl » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:33 am

i just got an email forwarded to me from someone who's been out on the playa for two weeks. The advice given is be prepared for 'MAJOR dust
storms as the playa is powder fine this year. Of the past 4 days, 3 have
had white out dust storms lasting anywhere from a few hours to all day
long. All the people coming in will only add to this, so be prepared for
some intense weather out here. Bring lots of bandanas, extra goggles, dust proof your tent before you get out here, be prepared for longer set ups and long lines at the gate."

WE WILL BE AN UNSTOPPABLE ARMY OF DUSTY DEVILS :twisted:
purplegirl

Postby cupcake jones » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:58 pm

how do i "dust proof" my tent?

virgin alert...HELP!

<3 scared of dust
"Don't worry if the lines blur"
cupcake jones

Postby Valkyrie » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:15 pm

Well, that's certainly debatable. In fact it's debated ad nauseam here
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.
Valkyrie

Postby cornelius » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:25 pm

"dust proof"? "DUST PROOF"!? That aint nothin' but an old Playan Myth. Don't let 'em fool you Virgina, there aint no way to escape the dust out there in Black Rock City. Aint no way.
ROBOTS UNITE
cornelius

dust on the playa

Postby willfixit » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:45 am

yes folks the word has been dusty, but the domes are a great escape for the dust. If the winds get really bad, DO NOT GO out walking the the white outs. Find a place to hid out, make friends with folks with Vans, mobile homes and anyplace to await out the storms out.. Bring MRE's for 3 days in case your trapped inside without a way to cook.The water heaters are priceless for this and the meals are a full 3500 calories. Note he humidity is as low as 10% so drink 2 bottles of water per hour while working hard min. Remember to get fruit juice for electrolyte replacement, If you felling like shit with dry lips and stomach troubles your most likely need some. If can be bought at center camp cafe.
LOOK OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY!
Sadly since I was a kid that was always the motto. If we keep an eye one the others around us, and when we see them in need of help or in trouble, we ask if we can help in anyway. Let us in BRC start living by this rule and we can have a another wonderful and fun world for that week a year..and take some of it back to the world we share year round. Born in Buffalo, NY and been in California for a while. Watch out for them and they will watch out for you...
Ranger love to you all, be safe, live large and rock the week away.
WE miss you Elvis;-(.
Ranger Guardian AKA WILL FIX IT
clear
Thermal Shock Camp
Will Fix-it AKA Ranger Guardian
The man with the magic fingers!
willfixit

Re: dust on the playa

Postby Player » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:11 am

willfixit wrote: ....... LOOK OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY!
Sadly since I was a kid that was always the motto. If we keep an eye one the others around us, and when we see them in need of help or in trouble, we ask if we can help in anyway. ......
Ranger Guardian AKA WILL FIX IT
clear

Well - I think that's a GREAT motto. Compassion is the law of laws - and what better place to abide by that than in BRC - where us humans can actually be the humans we were evolved to be.

On another positive note - I've heard that the winds have died down and are not expected to top 10 MPH at least until Wednesday.

~ Player
Player

Postby actiongrl » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:59 am

If you are seriously afraid of dust, you are coming to the wrong place...but it has been BEAUTIFUL and hot for five days. The weather changes every few days here, so what it was on August 22 is very seldom what it will be when you arrive. That said, you MUST be prepared for absolutely anything, even in years where the forecast is smooth sailing.T he desert weather is mercurial and it is almost guaranteed to give us at least one or two good, hard white out conditions at some point during the event. That's part of the fun. Be ready with goggles and a mask and your best attitude and I promise you will be fine.
actiongrl

Postby Player » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:06 pm

Up-to-date weather in BRC.

http://206.158.7.4/weather/pro.htm
Player

Postby ron5657 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:04 pm

As a Nevada resident i can say that the weather here can be weird! I seen sunshine, rain, thunderstorms, hail, and even snow! all in one hour!! It won't snow for sure out there lol. The past few years have been dry as hell in nevada. The Reno area hasn't seen any rain in two months. I hate to repeat the saying that "If you don't like the weather in Nevada, stick around for 15 minutes, it'll change", lol but it's true. One thing for sure, it's always windy in Nevada, so be prepared. See you on the playa!
ron5657

Postby cornelius » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:05 pm

White out conditions in the D-lot ya'll! D-6 and I headed out yesterday and got trapped in the D-lot. Wind, White out, blue sky...repeat.
ROBOTS UNITE
cornelius

Postby diane o'thirst » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:25 pm

I'm looking at the Gerlach cam right now. GINORMOUS dust plume over Black Rock City.

And my healing eye just twitched. That wouldn't be happy being out in that with a healing eye. Healing would stop.

[Drinking water]

Don't forget...Monday night/Tuesday morning, face northwest...towards EugeneOregon, and send a nice long howl in my direction! I'll be listening for it and will return with alacrity!
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby skibear » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:53 pm

Latest accuweather Gerlach forecast:
http://www.accuweather.com/forecast.asp ... 2&metric=0

I'd say perfect!!
Highs in mid 90's every day up and down a little.
Lows 60 first several days then mid 50's.
One low about 50 near end.

Winds ROTFL. be ready for anything. YMMV

Low winds Sun & Mon nite
up to 8 mph Mon afternoon
10-12 mph Tues afternoon maybe Tue night.
**Dust Storm Alert! ** no wind data for later
HTH
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Postby skibear » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:54 pm

Latest .... oops dup deleted
skibear

Postby PDX Burner Gurl » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:58 pm

I looked up gerlach on the weather channel. Google says it may rain with thunder storms on Tuesday! Yeay.... mud!
PDX Burner Gurl

Postby jagermonster » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:43 pm

eh, weather channel says 10% chance on Tuesday..
jagermonster

Postby Megaflow » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:11 pm

I did half my drive to the burn today stopping in Mammoth for the night and during my drive from So Cal up the 395 it rained really hard for quite a while today. From China Lake to Lone Pine and again from just before Bishop almost all the way to Mammoth. It was nice to see rain again as it has been so dry in So Cal this past year. No rain so far in Mammoth.

Mammoth sure is nice this time of year.
Megaflow

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Theme Camps