Eridu

Eridu

Postby trilobyte » Wed May 16, 2007 3:26 pm

Eridu is coming to the playa!

"Sumerian legend honored Eridu as the earliest city, the dwelling place of Enki, God of the Abyss, the fountain of human wisdom. "All lands were the sea, then Eridu was made," proclaims a much later creation legend. Enki dwelt in his shrine on the shores of the primordial sea, which preceded creation. Sumerians considered Enki's word to have created order from chaos, the chaos of the primeval waters, and the mosaic landscape of desert and marshland around his temple." - Excerpt from Searching For Eden

Taking its name from the very first human city on Earth (built seventy one centuries ago), Eridu is the physical manifestation of Electric Theatre on the playa. All our cities, cultures, forms of religion, and forms of decadence (yay decadence!) have its roots in Eridu, and we decided it was high time to bring the city from the cradle of civilization in the heart of Mesopotamia to the cutting edge of civilization in the heart of Black Rock City.

On and off the playa, Electric Theatre strives to create warm, inviting, creative, and exciting atmospheres. We will put our efforts into creating a cozy neighborhood within the camp, with a number of small structures that provide shade and shelter for our friends and neighbors. Additionally, we are working on bringing an art car to Black Rock City - an inter-dimensional cruiser known as The Great Abyss. Members of the camp have come from a number of different camps in the past, and been involved in a number of on-playa events, including neighborhood block parties, fashion shows, and The Temple Of Breaks (which will be returning in 2007, bigger and better than ever).

This post is not a call for members, so much as it is an announcement of who we are and what we're trying to do. It's a new camp, but with many familiar faces. Please feel free to stop by Eridu in Black Rock City and say hello. Bring your glass and we'll fill it and share a drink (or bring a drink and share one with us)!

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:20 pm

Woohoo! Today we finished dotting the i's and crossing the t's and got our mutant vehicle registration application submitted. For more information about our plans for The Great Abyss, check out the art car page on the Eridu wiki.

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:24 am

Update...

The art car was approved, and construction is well underway. Last week we finished all the welding and major steel work, and yesterday the fabric and other materials were ordered. We're on schedule to bring The Great Abyss to the playa in all its glory - woohoo!

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby scootert » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:17 pm

Hi Trilobyte!

Congrats on the art car pre-approval. It looks like a pretty elaborate creation! Thanks also for the info about Eridu and your invitation for a visit. I'll try to take you up on that.

And another thing...thanks for your great presence, assistance and good vibes on eplaya. You exemplify the best human aspects of Burning Man and you are consistently kind and patient. Thank you!

Scott
ScooterT (maybe that's gonna be my official playa name after all...)
scootert

Postby lelio » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:28 pm

Holy Shit! its Trilo!

So Im cruising around these forums trying to get some last minute info to see if ive covered all my bases for my 1st trip out to BM this year and i suddenly notice the whole "moderator: trilobyte" thing. and here you are. awesome.

I hope you have some idea who I am, same handle, tall dude, car bombs...

Anyway, you have any idea where eridu is going to be yet? I cant find it on any theme camp lists. I was thinking i might try and wander over at some point and check it out. The great abyss looks awesome.

-Lelio
lelio

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:47 am

Thanks Scooter!

And holy shit, it's the lelio! Glad to see you around here, and to hear that you'll be coming out to this year's event. I'm just one of the many fine people who help out around here :)

We're aiming for 9:30 and Boreal, actual camp location may vary. Please do come by, or let me know where you'll be camping so I can try and catch up to you... been a long time!

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:35 pm

We are just about ready to head off on our voyage to Eridu. All the major systems for The Great Abyss have been completed, and we're getting ready to load cargo and equipment.

We're aiming for 9:30 and Boreal, and look forward to seeing you all out on the dust!

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Return to 2007 Theme Camps